From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: LiIon batteries - storing with the correct charge?
Date: 24 Apr 2024 18:58:30 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 18:58 UTC

Just a passing thought as I've just bought a Lidl cordless power washer
with a couple of LiIon batteries.

The charger takes them to 100%
I read that they should be stored below 80% for long term life.
How do you control this?

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: LiIon batteries - storing with the correct charge?

<3e413f9a2c0b16b51d1c6127c302eeab@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122252&group=uk.d-i-y#122252

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 21:08:48 +0000
From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (nick)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: nick - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 21:08 UTC

David wrote:

> Just a passing thought as I've just bought a Lidl cordless power washer
> with a couple of LiIon batteries.

> The charger takes them to 100%
> I read that they should be stored below 80% for long term life.
> How do you control this?

One of my laptop batteries has an array of leds which show how much charge is left in it. For everything else, I just guess. If I am going to put the kit away for a while, I charge it up fully then run it down a bit.

Nick

Re: LiIon batteries - storing with the correct charge?

<l8ug3gFqvv1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122255&group=uk.d-i-y#122255

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 08:46:57 +0100
 by: alan_m - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 07:46 UTC

On 24/04/2024 22:08, nick wrote:
> David wrote:
>
>> Just a passing thought as I've just bought a Lidl cordless power
>> washer with a couple of LiIon batteries.
>
>> The charger takes them to 100%
>> I read that they should be stored below 80% for long term life.
>> How do you control this?
>
> One of my laptop batteriesĀ  has an array of leds which show how much
> charge is left in it. For everything else, I just guess. If I am going
> to put the kit away for a while, I charge it up fully then run it down a
> bit.
>
> Nick

Both my smartphone and laptop run (manufacturers) software to only
charge the batteries to 80 or 85%. On both these devices this only works
while the equipment is on or in standby or hibernation. If the devices
are fully off the software doesn't run and if the charger is left
connected the batteries will charge to 100%

Re: LiIon batteries - storing with the correct charge?

<umx*O0OIz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=122266&group=uk.d-i-y#122266

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 25 Apr 2024 11:46:56 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 10:46 UTC

alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On 24/04/2024 22:08, nick wrote:
> > David wrote:
> >
> >> Just a passing thought as I've just bought a Lidl cordless power
> >> washer with a couple of LiIon batteries.
> >
> >> The charger takes them to 100%
> >> I read that they should be stored below 80% for long term life.
> >> How do you control this?
> >
> > One of my laptop batteriesĀ  has an array of leds which show how much
> > charge is left in it. For everything else, I just guess. If I am going
> > to put the kit away for a while, I charge it up fully then run it down a
> > bit.
> >
> > Nick
>

> Both my smartphone and laptop run (manufacturers) software to only
> charge the batteries to 80 or 85%. On both these devices this only works
> while the equipment is on or in standby or hibernation. If the devices
> are fully off the software doesn't run and if the charger is left
> connected the batteries will charge to 100%

I think that's true for things like laptops where you charge it every day,
so it can recognise your usage and charging pattern. For power tools they
don't know when charging whether that was the last lawn mowing of the season
or if you're going to mow Wembley tomorrow and need every drop of power.
Also, the standalone batteries don't have anywhere to dump excess charge if
they decide that it's been a while and to go into storage mode.

If you know you're going to store it, charge it up then run it down a bit.
But probably only worth doing this if you know you're not going to use it
for months - if it's a few weeks then full is probably fine.

Theo