Programming Department: Mistakes made while you wait.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Domain Expiry Renewal Reminder

SubjectAuthor
* Domain Expiry Renewal ReminderJeff Gaines
`* Re: Domain Expiry Renewal ReminderAndy Burns
 `* Re: Domain Expiry Renewal ReminderPhilip Herlihy
  +* Re: Domain Expiry Renewal ReminderAndy Burns
  |`* Re: Domain Expiry Renewal ReminderJeff Gaines
  | `- Re: Domain Expiry Renewal ReminderJeff Gaines
  `- Re: Domain Expiry Renewal ReminderVir Campestris

1
Domain Expiry Renewal Reminder

<xn0n0ewyi2fft6000@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1199&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1199

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Domain Expiry Renewal Reminder
Date: 15 Jul 2021 10:18:54 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 10:18 UTC

I get regular reminders, apparently mandatory, that a domain I transferred
to somebody else 8-10 years ago is about to expire. The latest is from
no-reply@mainnameserver.com which doesn't seem to exist.

I have no Domain Services Provider so there is nothing I can do.

Is there any way to stop them or shall I just bin them?

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those

Re: Domain Expiry Renewal Reminder

<ilahhbFfpdmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1200&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1200

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Domain Expiry Renewal Reminder
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 11:38:34 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 10:38 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I get regular reminders, apparently mandatory, that a domain I
> transferred to somebody else 8-10 years ago is about to expire.

A lot of those are scams, using outdated details from when it was
possible to harvest domain plus owner WHOIS records ...

Re: Domain Expiry Renewal Reminder

<MPG.3b5a2d242fcd5ace98995f@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1201&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1201

From: thiswill...@you.com (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 12:32:22 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 11:32 UTC

In article <ilahhbFfpdmU1@mid.individual.net>, usenet@andyburns.uk says...

> Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
> > I get regular reminders, apparently mandatory, that a domain I
> > transferred to somebody else 8-10 years ago is about to expire.
>
> A lot of those are scams, using outdated details from when it was
> possible to harvest domain plus owner WHOIS records ...

I get things like this, but they are genuine. Apparently, because I'm no
longer the registrant, I can't tell them to take my email address off the
record!

"Data Protection."

I was once told by a cat's home that they couldn't divulge the temporary name
they'd assigned to an otherwise unknown cat that has been handed in deceased.

"Data Protection."

--

Phil, London

Re: Domain Expiry Renewal Reminder

<ilaqfdFhdsqU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1202&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1202

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 14:11:07 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 13:11 UTC

Philip Herlihy wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>>> I get regular reminders, apparently mandatory, that a domain I
>>> transferred to somebody else 8-10 years ago is about to expire.
>>
>> A lot of those are scams, using outdated details from when it was
>> possible to harvest domain plus owner WHOIS records ...
>
> I get things like this, but they are genuine.

Sure you get genuine ones, but that's the basis for getting fake ones,
often a week or two before the genuine renewals ones are due, to
increase the 'ring of truth'.

> Apparently, because I'm no
> longer the registrant, I can't tell them to take my email address off the
> record!
>
> "Data Protection."
>
> I was once told by a cat's home that they couldn't divulge the temporary name
> they'd assigned to an otherwise unknown cat that has been handed in deceased.
>
> "Data Protection."

Re: Domain Expiry Renewal Reminder

<xn0n0f4v4d5dsr002@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1203&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1203

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 15 Jul 2021 15:19:01 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 15:19 UTC

On 15/07/2021 in message <ilaqfdFhdsqU1@mid.individual.net> Andy Burns
wrote:

>Sure you get genuine ones, but that's the basis for getting fake ones,
>often a week or two before the genuine renewals ones are due, to increase
>the 'ring of truth'.

Many thanks for all the replies, I will ignore them :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

Re: Domain Expiry Renewal Reminder

<xn0n0f5qbeej7y003@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1204&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1204

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 15 Jul 2021 15:54:07 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 15 Jul 2021 15:54 UTC

On 15/07/2021 in message <xn0n0f4v4d5dsr002@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>Many thanks for all the replies, I will ignore them :-)

Sorry, that looks rude - I meant I will ignore the reminder emails!

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
George Washington was a British subject until well after his 40th birthday.

Re: Domain Expiry Renewal Reminder

<sd7b53$2qq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1223&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1223

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 21:19:46 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Tue, 20 Jul 2021 20:19 UTC

On 15/07/2021 12:32, Philip Herlihy wrote:
> In article <ilahhbFfpdmU1@mid.individual.net>, usenet@andyburns.uk says...
>>
>> Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>>> I get regular reminders, apparently mandatory, that a domain I
>>> transferred to somebody else 8-10 years ago is about to expire.
>>
>> A lot of those are scams, using outdated details from when it was
>> possible to harvest domain plus owner WHOIS records ...
>
> I get things like this, but they are genuine. Apparently, because I'm no
> longer the registrant, I can't tell them to take my email address off the
> record!
>
> "Data Protection."
>
> I was once told by a cat's home that they couldn't divulge the temporary name
> they'd assigned to an otherwise unknown cat that has been handed in deceased.
>
> "Data Protection."

The standard response should be "Oh, I must have missed that bit. Which
section?" (of the act)

Andy