Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Play Want Oh No Blue Balls (PWBE 8 Aug 2022)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 23:01:33 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Sun, 7 Aug 2022 23:01 UTC

Oh good, I get to sit down and play some games. Oh no, some kind of
crisis demands my undivided attention and whatever game I actually want
to play has no pause feature. What do I do instead?

Play:
--=--

Lord Winklebottom Investigates (PC) - Ooh, the plot thickens. More
specifically, I have to find some sort of fluid to thicken a chemical
compound and it's not obvious what I have to pick up next. I really want
to be able to sit and play this through in a way where I'm not having to
tear myself away for something non-leisure related every ten minutes.

Best of the Best Championship Karate (MD) - So this is not what I
expected, and I should really have watched a video of it first or
something. I was under the impression that this was a gussied-up port
of International Karate, the Spectrum and Commodore mainstay that only
got a port on the two Gameboy platforms. It's not the most intuitive
fighting game, with a weird four-light life meter and a referee shouting
instructions that are supposed to be comprehsible in any language. I
should probably have worked a little harder to hunt down the Gameboy/GBA
cart.

X-men (MD) - What a weird platformer. It's obviously one of those nerdy
hardcore tie-ins that assumes you've come in knowing the characters, the
setting and the conflict already and it tosses you in at the deep end
with no explanation as to what's going on or why anything matters.
Mostly I have this cart for collector purposes now, rather than to play
it. There's honestly no telling if these licensed games will ever make
it onto official retro releases unless all parties are interested to do
so.

Lightening Force (MD) - So on paper this is one of the best Megadrive
shooters, as the fourth entry in the storied ThunderForce series. And
it's no doubt a textbook example of good design and innovative play that
pushed the schmup genre forward in ways that were clearly imitated by
later titles. But for me, being very nitpicky, there's something about
this particular game that isn't imparting narrative in quite the way
that I like. I'm only now (in my old age) getting to the point where I
can appreciate these things at a properly nerdy level, and I'm
discovering that I like R-type and Darius for how they tell a story
using only visuals. ThunderForce puts on a good show but doesn't hook me
in quite the same way, and I'm not sure if I'm able to fully articulate
why.

Lego Batman (DS) - For the boy. Thankfully he seems to enjoy it well
enough. His favourite thing was to make Batman stand in such a way that
whenever Robin respawned he would immediately fall to his shattering
death.

Want:
--=--

IK+ (GBA) - Ooh, $5 is a good price for a loose cart. Wait a minute. Do
I own this already? Yes I do. I also own the six other GBA games I
decided to pick up while I was browsing. Getting too old for this hobby.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $2,969

Lego Batman 2 (DS) - $3
Quick Yoga Training (DS) - $3
World Cup USA 94 (MD) - $3
Just In Time Translations (DS) - $3
Lego Batman (DS) - $5
Rooms (DS) - $6
Operation Vietnam (DS) - $10
Best of the Best Championship Karate (MD) - $7
X-men (MD) - $9
Lethal Enforcers (MD) - $8
Let's Yoga (DS) - $3
Lego Marvel Heroes (DS) - $3
Transformers Prime (DS) - $3
Super Mario Advance (GBA) - $0 (Free with purchase!)

Total to date - $3,035

-KKC, who isn't 100 percent sure he's catalogued all his GBA games.

Re: Play Want Oh No Blue Balls (PWBE 8 Aug 2022)

<7vHIK.1174322$Zth9.67464@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1226&group=uk.games.video.misc#1226

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Play Want Oh No Blue Balls (PWBE 8 Aug 2022)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 05:38:11 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 05:38 UTC

> Play:

Minetest (Linux) - again. I will continue to resist the urge to make a
"blocky graphics" joke. Probably.

> Lightening Force (MD)

To me this always sounds like a team of superhero dentists.

> Want:

To post this on Monday more often.

> Bin:

Nothing.

-Rus.

Re: Play Want Oh No Blue Balls (PWBE 8 Aug 2022)

<Y1ydnfrvdeKEXG7_nZ2dnZfqn_rNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1227&group=uk.games.video.misc#1227

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 14:30:49 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 14:30 UTC

In article <7vHIK.1174322$Zth9.67464@usenetxs.com>,
Russell Marks <zgedneil@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com> wrote:
>Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>
>> Play:
>
>> Lightening Force (MD)
>
>To me this always sounds like a team of superhero dentists.

Came up on the podcast. Since then I've noticed a number of other
Megadrive games that had interesting typos in their English-language
titles, not all of which were caught in time. 'Sorcer's Kingdom' is the
one that tickles me the most. It's worth mentioning that Lightening
Force was still going to be ThunderForce IV in the west until they
decided to change it at the last minute because of weird panic over
people being less willing to pick up sequels. That also leads to stupid
names for motion pictures.

-KKC, who hopes they deliver the Megadrive Mini 2 on time.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Play Want Oh No Blue Balls (PWBE 8 Aug 2022)