From: jmlay...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: More clematis strangeness
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 18:53:11 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 17:53 UTC

A couple of weeks ago I posted a question about the lack of clematis
wilt this year. I've still not seen any.

We have a 'Vyvyan Pennell' which appears early in May, and as soon as
it's put its head above ground gets wilt. After a couple of weeks it
starts growing again without wilt, and usually flowers well in late June
or early July. This year, it has grown like mad, but has not got wilt at
all. But it also hasn't flowered! There's not a sign of a flower bud.

There also a "Duchess of Edinburgh". This has on occasion had clematis
wilt, but it has sometimes avoided it. This year it has not had wilt and
grown well, but, like the 'Vyvyan Pennell', is showing no sign of
flowering.

What is going on?!

--

Jeff

Re: More clematis strangeness

<seb6ab$c57$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1244&group=uk.rec.gardening#1244

From: char...@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: More clematis strangeness
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 11:38:04 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 10:38 UTC

On 30/07/2021 18:53, Jeff Layman wrote:
> A couple of weeks ago I posted a question about the lack of clematis
> wilt this year. I've still not seen any.
>
> We have a 'Vyvyan Pennell' which appears early in May, and as soon as
> it's put its head above ground gets wilt. After a couple of weeks it
> starts growing again without wilt, and usually flowers well in late June
> or early July. This year, it has grown like mad, but has not got wilt at
> all. But it also hasn't flowered! There's not a sign of a flower bud.
>
> There also a "Duchess of Edinburgh". This has on occasion had clematis
> wilt, but it has sometimes avoided it. This year it has not had wilt and
> grown well, but, like the 'Vyvyan Pennell', is showing no sign of
> flowering.
>
> What is going on?!

Its because the first flower buds were got by the winter spring weather
and because its not trying to flower they have avoided the stress and
therefore the plants natural defence against that sort of stress which
unfortunately is to abort stems and try again later! you should get a
bit of a late summer autumn show though

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall