Better living a beggar than buried an emperor.

aus+uk / aus.aviation / Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

SubjectAuthor
* Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....Phil Allison
+* Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....Rod Speed
|`* Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....Rod Speed
| +* Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....Xeno
| |+- Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....Rod Speed
| |`* Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....Phil Allison
| | +- Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....Rod Speed
| | `* Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....David Lesher
| |  `- Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....Rod Speed
| `* Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....keithr0
|  `* Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....Rod Speed
|   `- Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....Rod Speed
`* Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....keithr0
 `* Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....Phil Allison
  `* Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....keithr0
   `* Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....Phil Allison
    `- Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....Phil Allison

1
Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<9a4fe3fd-90a2-47f2-b7d5-56199069b5d0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1213&group=aus.aviation#1213

Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 01:35:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 08:35 UTC

Hi,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbVfeGD5SnA

Has ( almost ) everything you ever wanted to know.
Excellent pic quality.

...... Phil

Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<op.1qwhvlk8byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1214&group=aus.aviation#1214

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Subject: Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 03:07:59 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 17:07 UTC

Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbVfeGD5SnA

> Has ( almost ) everything you ever wanted to know.
> Excellent pic quality.

Brilliant. That is something you do well, finding stuff like that.

These non professional videos certainly make it very obvious
how much effort has to go into making the professional stuff.

Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<op.1qwjo4zdbyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1215&group=aus.aviation#1215

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 03:47:18 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 17:47 UTC

Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
> Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote

>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbVfeGD5SnA

>> Has ( almost ) everything you ever wanted to know.
>> Excellent pic quality.

> Brilliant. That is something you do well, finding stuff like that.

> These non professional videos certainly make it very obvious
> how much effort has to go into making the professional stuff.

You do have to wonder how much sense it makes to make
such an expensive device that most of the time just blows
up a house or two at the target.

Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<jltpiqFp3blU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1216&group=aus.aviation#1216

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:32:58 +1000
 by: Xeno - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 02:32 UTC

On 15/8/2022 3:47 am, Rod Speed wrote:
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote
>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbVfeGD5SnA
>
>>> Has ( almost ) everything you ever wanted to know.
>>> Excellent pic quality.
>
>> Brilliant. That is something you do well, finding stuff like that.
>
>> These non professional videos certainly make it very obvious
>> how much effort has to go into making the professional stuff.
>
> You do have to wonder how much sense it makes to make
> such an expensive device that most of the time just blows
> up a house or two at the target.

The beginnings of terrorism?

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<op.1qxbecogbyq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1217&group=aus.aviation#1217

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 13:45:38 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 03:45 UTC

On Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:32:58 +1000, Xeno <xenolith@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On 15/8/2022 3:47 am, Rod Speed wrote:
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Brilliant. That is something you do well, finding stuff like that.
>>
>>> These non professional videos certainly make it very obvious
>>> how much effort has to go into making the professional stuff.
>> You do have to wonder how much sense it makes to make
>> such an expensive device that most of the time just blows
>> up a house or two at the target.
>
> The beginnings of terrorism?

Nar, there was plenty of terrorism long before that, most obviously with
anarchists etc.

Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<jluj22Fsms6U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1218&group=aus.aviation#1218

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 19:47:45 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 09:47 UTC

On 15/08/2022 3:47 am, Rod Speed wrote:
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote
>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbVfeGD5SnA
>
>>> Has ( almost ) everything you ever wanted to know.
>>> Excellent pic quality.
>
>> Brilliant. That is something you do well, finding stuff like that.
>
>> These non professional videos certainly make it very obvious
>> how much effort has to go into making the professional stuff.
>
> You do have to wonder how much sense it makes to make
> such an expensive device that most of the time just blows
> up a house or two at the target.

Because it scared the shit out of the population hearing the thing
approach not knowing whether it was going to land on them or not. It was
a lot more effective than the V2 because they just happened without
warning. They disrupted life in the target area.

One of my earliest memories (aged 3 or 4) is being thrown under a
trolley on the platform of a London railway station by a well meaning
yank soldier (or so I was told) when a V1 cut out overhead. He obviously
had my welfare at heart, but I ended up bruised, and the V1 landed
miles away (they glided for some distance after the engine stopped).

Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<op.1qyirzg7byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1220&group=aus.aviation#1220

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 05:22:37 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 19:22 UTC

keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>>> Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote

>>> Brilliant. That is something you do well, finding stuff like that.

>>> These non professional videos certainly make it very obvious
>>> how much effort has to go into making the professional stuff.

>> You do have to wonder how much sense it makes to make
>> such an expensive device that most of the time just blows
>> up a house or two at the target.

> Because it scared the shit out of the population hearing the thing
> approach not knowing whether it was going to land on them or not.

But scaring people had no practical effect at all, so wasted money.

> It was a lot more effective than the V2 because they just happened
> without warning. They disrupted life in the target area.

Bullshit.

> One of my earliest memories (aged 3 or 4) is being thrown under a
> trolley on the platform of a London railway station by a well meaning
> yank soldier (or so I was told) when a V1 cut out overhead. He obviously
> had my welfare at heart, but I ended up bruised, and the V1 landed
> miles away (they glided for some distance after the engine stopped).

Wondered how you got dropped on your head.

Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<op.1qyi3ke2byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1221&group=aus.aviation#1221

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 05:29:34 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 19:29 UTC

Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
> keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote

>>> You do have to wonder how much sense it makes to make
>>> such an expensive device that most of the time just blows
>>> up a house or two at the target.

>> Because it scared the shit out of the population hearing the thing
>> approach not knowing whether it was going to land on them or not.

> But scaring people had no practical effect at all, so wasted money.

>> It was a lot more effective than the V2 because they just happened
>> without warning. They disrupted life in the target area.

> Bullshit.

Just finished a memoir of a yank who was involved in Vietnam
in Hue just as the NVA were taking over. Apparantly what the
NVA feared most was the B52 bombing runs with them so high
that it was never possible to see or hear them coming and the
first thing you became aware of was about a KM blown to bits
by the stick of 500lb bombs showing up un announced with
no warning at all.

Corse that didn't work for the yanks either.

>> One of my earliest memories (aged 3 or 4) is being thrown under a
>> trolley on the platform of a London railway station by a well meaning
>> yank soldier (or so I was told) when a V1 cut out overhead. He
>> obviously had my welfare at heart, but I ended up bruised, and the V1
>> landed miles away (they glided for some distance after the engine
>> stopped).

> Wondered how you got dropped on your head.

Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<11820be1-2cbf-4b7d-a8d3-1822c73f3f6fn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1222&group=aus.aviation#1222

Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 14:29:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 21:29 UTC

Xeno wrote:
==========

> The beginnings of terrorism?

** Terror bombing began in WW1 with the use of Zeppelins to deliver bombs on London at night.

FYI: The V in V1 stands for vengeance - ie Hitler's revenge on those who tried to defend themselves.
It was a comparatively low cost weapon, hard to intercept or shoot down, while putting no German airmen's lives at risk.
OTOH, the V2 rocket was expensive but impossible to intercept.

....... Phil

Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<op.1qyunqd8byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1223&group=aus.aviation#1223

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 09:39:16 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 23:39 UTC

Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote

> FYI: The V in V1 stands for vengeance - ie Hitler's revenge on those
> who tried to defend themselves.

That's bullshit.

> It was a comparatively low cost weapon, hard to intercept or shoot down,
> while putting no German airmen's lives at risk.

> OTOH, the V2 rocket was expensive but impossible to intercept.

But was again a very expensive way to demolish a few houses.

Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<jm0tqcF9cl5U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1224&group=aus.aviation#1224

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 17:03:40 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 07:03 UTC

On 14/08/2022 6:35 pm, Phil Allison wrote:

> Hi,
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbVfeGD5SnA
>
> Has ( almost ) everything you ever wanted to know.
> Excellent pic quality.
>

> ..... Phil

There is a piloted version in the Flying Heritage and Combat Armor
Collection at the southern end of Paine Field Everett. A place well
worth a visit.

https://flyingheritage.org/Explore/The-Collection/Germany/Fieseler-Fi-103R-Reichenberg.aspx

Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<7ea8a6e4-372d-4a3d-9038-df0b1462788an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1225&group=aus.aviation#1225

Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 00:30:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 07:30 UTC

keithr0 wrote:
============

> There is a piloted version in the Flying Heritage and Combat Armor
> Collection at the southern end of Paine Field Everett. A place well
> worth a visit.
>
> https://flyingheritage.org/Explore/The-Collection/Germany/Fieseler-Fi-103R-Reichenberg.aspx

** See dramatised version of the above story::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFD0alzSeRM

See actual film and interview with Hannah Reitsch flying the Me163 Komet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ6i3H3E4NI

She makes Chuck Yeager look like a wimp.

....... Phil

Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<jm37ujFlvhfU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1226&group=aus.aviation#1226

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 14:08:50 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 04:08 UTC

On 16/08/2022 5:30 pm, Phil Allison wrote:
> keithr0 wrote:
> ============
>>
>> There is a piloted version in the Flying Heritage and Combat Armor
>> Collection at the southern end of Paine Field Everett. A place well
>> worth a visit.
>>
>> https://flyingheritage.org/Explore/The-Collection/Germany/Fieseler-Fi-103R-Reichenberg.aspx
>>

> ** See dramatised version of the above story::
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFD0alzSeRM

She was an excellent pilot and had bigger balls than anybody you're
likely to meet. The video had a glaring error, the motor was running
while the aircraft was stationary on the catapult, the whole point of
the catapult was to start the motor.

> See actual film and interview with Hannah Reitsch flying the Me163 Komet.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ6i3H3E4NI
>
> She makes Chuck Yeager look like a wimp.
>

> ...... Phil

Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<a42cdcff-3923-4e87-9b98-3466df651309n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1230&group=aus.aviation#1230

Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 04:27:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 11:27 UTC

keithr0 wrote:
===========

> > ** See dramatised version of the above story::
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFD0alzSeRM

> She was an excellent pilot and had bigger balls than anybody you're
> likely to meet. The video had a glaring error, the motor was running
> while the aircraft was stationary on the catapult, the whole point of
> the catapult was to start the motor.

** Shame how this actual film contradicts that fallacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGmTf44glAQ

The steam launch catapult was to get the 2 ton plus missile quickly up to flying speed.

The exact same engine was trialed on car and boats, no launching needed.

...... Phil

Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<56cb494d-106f-4a63-8e09-f3a37e2782den@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1231&group=aus.aviation#1231

Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 04:53:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 11:53 UTC

Phil Allison wrote:
==============

> ** Shame how this actual film contradicts that fallacy.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGmTf44glAQ
>
> The steam launch catapult was to get the 2 ton plus missile quickly up to flying speed.

** See this recent vid too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdwbp6R2qM8

Note how the engine plus mount leaps forward once started.
Spark ignition is only needed for a moment.
Internal resonance keeps it self firing after that.

...... Phil

Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<tet893$9fc$1@reader2.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1234&group=aus.aviation#1234

From: wb8...@panix.com (David Lesher)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 15:42:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Lesher - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 15:42 UTC

Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> writes:

>It was a comparatively low cost weapon, hard to intercept or
>shoot down, while putting no German airmen's lives at risk.

The SCR-584 radar, with an analog computer from Bell Labs, and
proximity fuzes from what is now JHU-APL, was a major threat to
the V1. They were placed on the Dover Cliffs so the shoot-downs
were into the Channel.

>OTOH, the V2 rocket was expensive but impossible to intercept.

It cost more lives in manufacturing than it killed in Britain.

--
A host is a host from coast to coast...............wb8foz@panix.com

Re: Guided tour of the V1 - Verrrrry interesting ....

<op.1rvlhyc7byq249@pvr2.lan>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1235&group=aus.aviation#1235

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 02:02:12 +1000
 by: Rod Speed - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 16:02 UTC

David Lesher <wb8foz@panix.com> wrote
> Phil Allison <pallison49@gmail.com> wrote

>> It was a comparatively low cost weapon, hard to intercept or
>> shoot down, while putting no German airmen's lives at risk.

> The SCR-584 radar, with an analog computer from Bell Labs, and
> proximity fuzes from what is now JHU-APL, was a major threat to
> the V1. They were placed on the Dover Cliffs so the shoot-downs
> were into the Channel.

>> OTOH, the V2 rocket was expensive but impossible to intercept.

> It cost more lives in manufacturing than it killed in Britain.

But only of the untermensch.