Don't kid yourself. Little is relevant, and nothing lasts forever.

aus+uk / uk.rec.audio / Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

SubjectAuthor
* Sony SS-CSD1 speakersAndrew
+* Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersWoody
|`* Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersRJH
| `* Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersJim Lesurf
|  `- Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersRJH
+* Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersDave Plowman (News)
|+* Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersDon Pearce
||`- Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersDave Plowman (News)
|`* Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersDon Pearce
| `* Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersPhil Allison
|  `* Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersDon Pearce
|   `* Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersPhil Allison
|    `- Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersDon Pearce
+* Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersBrian Gaff
|`* Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersAndrew
| `* Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersWoody
|  +* Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersAndrew
|  |`- Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersAndrew
|  `* Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersBrian Gaff
|   `- Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersAndrew
`* Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersTrevor Wilson
 `- Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakersWoody

1
Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<tb41kp$ec8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1207&group=uk.rec.audio#1207

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 17:27:03 +0100
 by: Andrew - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 16:27 UTC

Bought a pair of these in the Chichester British Heart Foundation shop
and to my untrained ear they are quite good.

Quite heavy, i.e. not the usual speakers sold with 'consumer'
mini-systems, and with 4mm binding posts that take banana plugs.

Rear-ported, and main drivers seem to made of some type of
woven fabric. Tweeters seem to work (I can hear them both)
and the rubber surrounds of the drive units are in perfect
condition.

Google doesn't find much data on them, so I assume they were
part of a Sony system of some sort.

My little Amptastic Mini amp drives them just fine for TV
sound which is what they are for. Now I can hear bass that
the previous Philips computer speakers didn't reproduce.
Almost too much bass if anything, so I might try putting
some 'bungs' in the rear ports to see what effect that has.
I believe the Q accoustics speakers are rear-ported and
come with a pair of 'bungs' for those situations that need
them.

What sort of material would be best ?

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<tb43gf$fc2a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1208&group=uk.rec.audio#1208

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Subject: Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 17:58:54 +0100
 by: Woody - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 16:58 UTC

On Mon 18/07/2022 17:27, Andrew wrote:
> Bought a pair of these in the Chichester British Heart Foundation shop
> and to my untrained ear they are quite good.
>
> Quite heavy, i.e. not the usual speakers sold with 'consumer'
> mini-systems, and with 4mm binding posts that take banana plugs.
>
> Rear-ported, and main drivers seem to made of some type of
> woven fabric. Tweeters seem to work (I can hear them both)
> and the rubber surrounds of the drive units are in perfect
> condition.
>
> Google doesn't find much data on them, so I assume they were
> part of a Sony system of some sort.
>
> My little Amptastic Mini amp drives them just fine for TV
> sound which is what they are for. Now I can hear bass that
> the previous Philips computer speakers didn't reproduce.
> Almost too much bass if anything, so I might try putting
> some 'bungs' in the rear ports to see what effect that has.
> I believe the Q accoustics speakers are rear-ported and
> come with a pair of 'bungs' for those situations that need
> them.
>
> What sort of material would be best ?

A handful of drinking straws is always a good bet. It will probably
reduce the bass a bit and certainly stop the port 'chuffing' which they
have a tendency to do. The other method is get them away from the wall
and if you can get them off the floor so much the better.

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<tb4agr$h5m6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1209&group=uk.rec.audio#1209

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 18:58:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 18:58 UTC

On 18 Jul 2022 at 17:58:54 BST, Woody wrote:

> On Mon 18/07/2022 17:27, Andrew wrote:
>> Bought a pair of these in the Chichester British Heart Foundation shop
>> and to my untrained ear they are quite good.
>>
>> Quite heavy, i.e. not the usual speakers sold with 'consumer'
>> mini-systems, and with 4mm binding posts that take banana plugs.
>>
>> Rear-ported, and main drivers seem to made of some type of
>> woven fabric. Tweeters seem to work (I can hear them both)
>> and the rubber surrounds of the drive units are in perfect
>> condition.
>>
>> Google doesn't find much data on them, so I assume they were
>> part of a Sony system of some sort.
>>
>> My little Amptastic Mini amp drives them just fine for TV
>> sound which is what they are for. Now I can hear bass that
>> the previous Philips computer speakers didn't reproduce.
>> Almost too much bass if anything, so I might try putting
>> some 'bungs' in the rear ports to see what effect that has.
>> I believe the Q accoustics speakers are rear-ported and
>> come with a pair of 'bungs' for those situations that need
>> them.
>>
>> What sort of material would be best ?
>
> A handful of drinking straws is always a good bet. It will probably
> reduce the bass a bit and certainly stop the port 'chuffing' which they
> have a tendency to do. The other method is get them away from the wall
> and if you can get them off the floor so much the better.

Wouldn't just an old sock do, just to see?
--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<5a0a5cf394noise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1210&group=uk.rec.audio#1210

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 09:46:44 +0100
 by: Jim Lesurf - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 08:46 UTC

In article <tb4agr$h5m6$1@dont-email.me>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
wrote:

> Wouldn't just an old sock do, just to see?

Ah! Ye olde "Put a sock in it!" from acoustic horn gramophone days. Yes, I
used to use a 'climbing' sock for the horn in my Decca portable winde-up 78
player. :-)

Another possible alternative is to put some series capacitors between the
amp and speakers to act as a simple HPF. Not ideal, but might help.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<tb5uq2$10r6g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1211&group=uk.rec.audio#1211

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 09:50:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 09:50 UTC

On 19 Jul 2022 at 09:46:44 BST, Jim Lesurf wrote:

> In article <tb4agr$h5m6$1@dont-email.me>, RJH <patchmoney@gmx.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't just an old sock do, just to see?
>
> Ah! Ye olde "Put a sock in it!" from acoustic horn gramophone days. Yes, I
> used to use a 'climbing' sock for the horn in my Decca portable winde-up 78
> player. :-)

Happy days! I did in fact move on and found some 22mm foam pipe insulation was
a perfect fit, with just the 22mm hole to fill. YMMV etc.

> Another possible alternative is to put some series capacitors between the
> amp and speakers to act as a simple HPF. Not ideal, but might help.

Not sure how that'd help an errant bass reflex port . . .

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<5a0a6e1163dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1212&group=uk.rec.audio#1212

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 12:53:42 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 11:53 UTC

In article <tb41kp$ec8$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Andrew <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:
> My little Amptastic Mini amp drives them just fine for TV
> sound which is what they are for. Now I can hear bass that
> the previous Philips computer speakers didn't reproduce.
> Almost too much bass if anything, so I might try putting
> some 'bungs' in the rear ports to see what effect that has.
> I believe the Q accoustics speakers are rear-ported and
> come with a pair of 'bungs' for those situations that need
> them.

Too much bass generally means massive resonances somewhere?

--
*If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends? *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<62d6eaad.39397750@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1213&group=uk.rec.audio#1213

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 17:33:02 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 17:33 UTC

On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 12:53:42 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <tb41kp$ec8$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Andrew <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:
>> My little Amptastic Mini amp drives them just fine for TV
>> sound which is what they are for. Now I can hear bass that
>> the previous Philips computer speakers didn't reproduce.
>> Almost too much bass if anything, so I might try putting
>> some 'bungs' in the rear ports to see what effect that has.
>> I believe the Q accoustics speakers are rear-ported and
>> come with a pair of 'bungs' for those situations that need
>> them.
>
>Too much bass generally means massive resonances somewhere?

And it won't actually be bass. Guaranteed it is over 100Hz.

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<tb8i5a$1hhi5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1214&group=uk.rec.audio#1214

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 10:33:27 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 09:33 UTC

Rear ported speakers are very sensitive to being placed in corners. Keep
them away and not too close to a wall. Are you sure what you are hearing is
not in fact merely a more extended bass?
I know some resistive ports seem to be filled with what looks rather like a
load of plastic drinking straws glued together.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Andrew" <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote in message
> Bought a pair of these in the Chichester British Heart Foundation shop
> and to my untrained ear they are quite good.
>
> Quite heavy, i.e. not the usual speakers sold with 'consumer'
> mini-systems, and with 4mm binding posts that take banana plugs.
>
> Rear-ported, and main drivers seem to made of some type of
> woven fabric. Tweeters seem to work (I can hear them both)
> and the rubber surrounds of the drive units are in perfect
> condition.
>
> Google doesn't find much data on them, so I assume they were
> part of a Sony system of some sort.
>
> My little Amptastic Mini amp drives them just fine for TV
> sound which is what they are for. Now I can hear bass that
> the previous Philips computer speakers didn't reproduce.
> Almost too much bass if anything, so I might try putting
> some 'bungs' in the rear ports to see what effect that has.
> I believe the Q accoustics speakers are rear-ported and
> come with a pair of 'bungs' for those situations that need
> them.
>
> What sort of material would be best ?

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<62d7dadd.11502390@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1215&group=uk.rec.audio#1215

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 10:45:02 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 10:45 UTC

<dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

>In article <tb41kp$ec8$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Andrew <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:
>> My little Amptastic Mini amp drives them just fine for TV
>> sound which is what they are for. Now I can hear bass that
>> the previous Philips computer speakers didn't reproduce.
>> Almost too much bass if anything, so I might try putting
>> some 'bungs' in the rear ports to see what effect that has.
>> I believe the Q accoustics speakers are rear-ported and
>> come with a pair of 'bungs' for those situations that need
>> them.
>
>Too much bass generally means massive resonances somewhere?

All ported speakers work the same way. The driver has a resonance
dictated by its equivalent mass and the elasticity of its surround.
The port needs to have the same resonance frequency. Speaker and port
are coupled well above criticality so the result is a pair of resonant
peaks, one above Fr, and another below it. Normal tuning for a ported
cabinet is that these will be equally spaced and hence of the same
size. The result is that the frequency response is extended downwards.
This all relies on the port having very little loss - just a mass of
air in the port sprung by the compressible air in the cabinet.
As soon as you start making the port lossy, by inserting foam or
socks, the port resonance is damped and the cabinet ceases to be
ported and reverts to a none-too-well defined more-or-less closed box.
Both the bass humps will disappear as a result, and the overall bass
response will lose probably as much as an octave.

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<tb8o6d$fo6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1216&group=uk.rec.audio#1216

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 12:16:29 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 11:16 UTC

It could be that I am hearing what I always should have heard because
the previous arrangement was my HD-FOXT2 STB feeding my Amptastic Mini
amp using phono connectors and a pair of re-purposed Phillips 320
computer speakers (circa 2006 but without the original 'brick'
PS/Amp). These were given a good review by various computer mags back
in 2006, which is why I bought them. The amp subsequently developed a
hum and the multiway 'din' connector that connected both speakers in
one plug suffered bent pins, so I binned it and rewired the speakers.

The Sony speakers are perched on top of my Wharfedale Linton 2's
(for now) and about a foot away from the rear wall.

Andrew

On 20/07/2022 10:33, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Rear ported speakers are very sensitive to being placed in corners. Keep
> them away and not too close to a wall. Are you sure what you are hearing is
> not in fact merely a more extended bass?
> I know some resistive ports seem to be filled with what looks rather like a
> load of plastic drinking straws glued together.
> Brian

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<tb933a$1ltip$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1217&group=uk.rec.audio#1217

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 15:22:31 +0100
 by: Woody - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 14:22 UTC

On Wed 20/07/2022 12:16, Andrew wrote:
> It could be that I am hearing what I always should have heard because
> the previous arrangement was my HD-FOXT2 STB feeding my Amptastic Mini
> amp using phono connectors and a pair of re-purposed Phillips 320
> computer speakers (circa 2006 but without the original 'brick'
> PS/Amp). These were given a good review by various computer mags back
> in 2006, which is why I bought them. The amp subsequently developed a
> hum and the multiway 'din' connector that connected both speakers in
> one plug suffered bent pins, so I binned it and rewired the speakers.
>
> The Sony speakers are perched on top of my Wharfedale Linton 2's
> (for now) and about a foot away from the rear wall.
>
> Andrew

Another silly question: why don't you use the Linton's? I have a 20Wpc
Class D amp (SMSL SA-36A Pro) driving a pair of Dentons as my computer
speakers and they sound superb, especially on HD sound sources and
recordings in flac or ogg format.

[John Collinson (who was the speaker designer of that time at Wharfedale
then at Idle in Bradford and before that was Chief Engineer at Quad)
knew a thing or two about speakers. He left around 1973 and with another
chap ex Wharfedale set up what was to become a well reputed speaker
manufacturer - Castle Acoustics - in Skipton.]

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<5a0b0702f6dave@davenoise.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1218&group=uk.rec.audio#1218

From: dav...@davenoise.co.uk (Dave Plowman (News))
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 16:44:15 +0100
 by: Dave Plowman (News) - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 15:44 UTC

In article <62d6eaad.39397750@news.eternal-september.org>,
Don Pearce <spam@spam.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2022 12:53:42 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
> <dave@davenoise.co.uk> wrote:

> >In article <tb41kp$ec8$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> > Andrew <Andrew97d-junk@mybtinternet.com> wrote:
> >> My little Amptastic Mini amp drives them just fine for TV
> >> sound which is what they are for. Now I can hear bass that
> >> the previous Philips computer speakers didn't reproduce.
> >> Almost too much bass if anything, so I might try putting
> >> some 'bungs' in the rear ports to see what effect that has.
> >> I believe the Q accoustics speakers are rear-ported and
> >> come with a pair of 'bungs' for those situations that need
> >> them.
> >
> >Too much bass generally means massive resonances somewhere?

> And it won't actually be bass. Guaranteed it is over 100Hz.

Yup. Even my pretty massive LS5/8 with 12" drivers need some extreme LF
lift.

--
*If tennis elbow is painful, imagine suffering with tennis balls *

Dave Plowman dave@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<tb9aci$13rr$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1219&group=uk.rec.audio#1219

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 15:24:13 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 14:24 UTC

On 20/07/2022 15:22, Woody wrote:
> On Wed 20/07/2022 12:16, Andrew wrote:
>> It could be that I am hearing what I always should have heard because
>> the previous arrangement was my HD-FOXT2 STB feeding my Amptastic Mini
>> amp using phono connectors and a pair of re-purposed Phillips 320
>> computer speakers (circa 2006 but without the original 'brick'
>> PS/Amp). These were given a good review by various computer mags back
>> in 2006, which is why I bought them. The amp subsequently developed a
>> hum and the multiway 'din' connector that connected both speakers in
>> one plug suffered bent pins, so I binned it and rewired the speakers.
>>
>> The Sony speakers are perched on top of my Wharfedale Linton 2's
>> (for now) and about a foot away from the rear wall.
>>
>> Andrew
>>

> Another silly question: why don't you use the Linton's? I have a 20Wpc
> Class D amp (SMSL SA-36A Pro) driving a pair of Dentons as my computer
> speakers and they sound superb, especially on HD sound sources and
> recordings in flac or ogg format.

I tried them for a few minutes and the little amp got noticibly warm
whereas normally its case is cool to touch.

The Linton 2's are connected to my Denon DRA-455 receiver and while this
has an Audio input, connected to the Scart output of the HD-FOXT2, I
then have to turn up the volume to get the same output as it gives on FM
'tuner' which is a pain, so I keep the 2 systems separate.

The Linton 2's are quite big and I would prefer to replace them with
something more modern and smaller. I have had them since 1978 when they
were 1 year old, and purchased from a neighbour.

The BHF ebay site has a pair of ProAcc Tablette ?10 speakers recently
and they went for about £300. I had never heard of them but they
seem to be priced at well over £1000 new, so someone got a bargain.

https://audiot.co.uk/p-24466-proac-tablette-10-speakers-proac-audio-t.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vazjawwbzcg

> [John Collinson (who was the speaker designer of that time at Wharfedale
> then at Idle in Bradford and before that was Chief Engineer at Quad)
> knew a thing or two about speakers. He left around 1973 and with another
> chap ex Wharfedale set up what was to become a well reputed speaker
> manufacturer - Castle Acoustics - in Skipton.]

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<tb9b04$1ah0$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1220&group=uk.rec.audio#1220

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 15:34:39 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 14:34 UTC

On 20/07/2022 15:24, Andrew wrote:
> On 20/07/2022 15:22, Woody wrote:
>> On Wed 20/07/2022 12:16, Andrew wrote:
>>> It could be that I am hearing what I always should have heard because
>>> the previous arrangement was my HD-FOXT2 STB feeding my Amptastic Mini
>>> amp using phono connectors and a pair of re-purposed Phillips 320
>>> computer speakers (circa 2006 but without the original 'brick'
>>> PS/Amp). These were given a good review by various computer mags back
>>> in 2006, which is why I bought them. The amp subsequently developed a
>>> hum and the multiway 'din' connector that connected both speakers in
>>> one plug suffered bent pins, so I binned it and rewired the speakers.
>>>
>>> The Sony speakers are perched on top of my Wharfedale Linton 2's
>>> (for now) and about a foot away from the rear wall.
>>>
>>> Andrew
>>>

>> Another silly question: why don't you use the Linton's? I have a 20Wpc
>> Class D amp (SMSL SA-36A Pro) driving a pair of Dentons as my computer
>> speakers and they sound superb, especially on HD sound sources and
>> recordings in flac or ogg format.
>>
> I tried them for a few minutes and the little amp got noticibly warm
> whereas normally its case is cool to touch.
>
> The Linton 2's are connected to my Denon DRA-455 receiver and while this
> has an Audio input, connected to the Scart output of the HD-FOXT2, I
> then have to turn up the volume to get the same output as it gives on FM
> 'tuner' which is a pain, so I keep the 2 systems separate.
>
> The Linton 2's are quite big and I would prefer to replace them with
> something more modern and smaller. I have had them since 1978 when they
> were 1 year old, and purchased from a neighbour.
>
> The BHF ebay site has a pair of ProAcc Tablette ?10 speakers recently
> and they went for about £300. I had never heard of them but they
> seem to be priced at well over £1000 new, so someone got a bargain.
>
> https://audiot.co.uk/p-24466-proac-tablette-10-speakers-proac-audio-t.aspx
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vazjawwbzcg

Actually they were Tablette 50 speakers, this is the listing

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384962567686?hash=item59a18e9e06:g:SDkAAOSwQhJisjIC

>> [John Collinson (who was the speaker designer of that time at
>> Wharfedale then at Idle in Bradford and before that was Chief Engineer
>> at Quad) knew a thing or two about speakers. He left around 1973 and
>> with another chap ex Wharfedale set up what was to become a well
>> reputed speaker manufacturer - Castle Acoustics - in Skipton.]

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<e56ac4c2-e86f-4b66-bca4-6ba5e3e398efn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1221&group=uk.rec.audio#1221

Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 15:55:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 22:55 UTC

Dope Pearce wrote:
================

> >Too much bass generally means massive resonances somewhere?

** Often a room effect and due to corner placement near the floor.

> All ported speakers work the same way.

** News to Messrs Theile and Small.

>The driver has a resonance
> dictated by its equivalent mass and the elasticity of its surround.
> The port needs to have the same resonance frequency.

** See above, there are many possible "alignments" not just the B4 one.

> Speaker and port
> are coupled well above criticality so the result is a pair of resonant
> peaks, one above Fr, and another below it.

** There are two *impedance* peaks with a dip in the middle where the woofer cone excursion is a minimum and the port output at a maximum. Response rolls off at 24dB/oct below that frequency, if aligned correctly.
Plenty of software will predict the result for a given driver and box.
But room dimensions and construction has an over riding effect in all cases.

....... Phil

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<jjrgf3F50i2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1222&group=uk.rec.audio#1222

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 09:12:35 +1000
 by: Trevor Wilson - Wed, 20 Jul 2022 23:12 UTC

On 19/07/2022 2:27 am, Andrew wrote:
> Bought a pair of these in the Chichester British Heart Foundation shop
> and to my untrained ear they are quite good.
>
> Quite heavy, i.e. not the usual speakers sold with 'consumer'
> mini-systems, and with 4mm binding posts that take banana plugs.
>
> Rear-ported, and main drivers seem to made of some type of
> woven fabric. Tweeters seem to work (I can hear them both)
> and the rubber surrounds of the drive units are in perfect
> condition.
>
> Google doesn't find much data on them, so I assume they were
> part of a Sony system of some sort.
>
> My little Amptastic Mini amp drives them just fine for TV
> sound which is what they are for. Now I can hear bass that
> the previous Philips computer speakers didn't reproduce.
> Almost too much bass if anything, so I might try putting
> some 'bungs' in the rear ports to see what effect that has.
> I believe the Q accoustics speakers are rear-ported and
> come with a pair of 'bungs' for those situations that need
> them.
>
> What sort of material would be best ?

**Put them on stands and move them away from corners and walls. You are
likely getting too much 'room gain'.

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<tbarpo$26obh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1223&group=uk.rec.audio#1223

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 07:30:15 +0100
 by: Woody - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 06:30 UTC

On Thu 21/07/2022 00:12, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 19/07/2022 2:27 am, Andrew wrote:
>> Bought a pair of these in the Chichester British Heart Foundation shop
>> and to my untrained ear they are quite good.
>>
>> Quite heavy, i.e. not the usual speakers sold with 'consumer'
>> mini-systems, and with 4mm binding posts that take banana plugs.
>>
>> Rear-ported, and main drivers seem to made of some type of
>> woven fabric. Tweeters seem to work (I can hear them both)
>> and the rubber surrounds of the drive units are in perfect
>> condition.
>>
>> Google doesn't find much data on them, so I assume they were
>> part of a Sony system of some sort.
>>
>> My little Amptastic Mini amp drives them just fine for TV
>> sound which is what they are for. Now I can hear bass that
>> the previous Philips computer speakers didn't reproduce.
>> Almost too much bass if anything, so I might try putting
>> some 'bungs' in the rear ports to see what effect that has.
>> I believe the Q accoustics speakers are rear-ported and
>> come with a pair of 'bungs' for those situations that need
>> them.
>>
>> What sort of material would be best ?
>
> **Put them on stands and move them away from corners and walls. You are
> likely getting too much 'room gain'.

And with respect to Phil and Trevor that is <exactly> what I said last
Monday early on in this thread.

In that same contribution the comment I made about drinking straws is
(was?) a well known solution to the port problem with Spendor BC1's.

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<62d8ff68.349078@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1224&group=uk.rec.audio#1224

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 07:29:38 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 07:29 UTC

On Wed, 20 Jul 2022 15:55:04 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
<pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

>Dope Pearce wrote:
>================
>
>> >Too much bass generally means massive resonances somewhere?
>
>** Often a room effect and due to corner placement near the floor.
>
>> All ported speakers work the same way.
>
>** News to Messrs Theile and Small.

No it won't. They both understood overcoupled resonance.

>>The driver has a resonance
>> dictated by its equivalent mass and the elasticity of its surround.
>> The port needs to have the same resonance frequency.
>
> ** See above, there are many possible "alignments" not just the B4 one.

Not relevant to what I am saying. And you will find very few
commercial speakers that don't use this alignment.

>> Speaker and port
>> are coupled well above criticality so the result is a pair of resonant
>> peaks, one above Fr, and another below it.
>
>** There are two *impedance* peaks with a dip in the middle where the woofer cone excursion is a minimum and the port output at a maximum. Response rolls off at 24dB/oct below that frequency, if aligned correctly.
>Plenty of software will predict the result for a given driver and box.

And? We all know this.

>But room dimensions and construction has an over riding effect in all cases.

We know that when it comes to woolly, boomy sounding speakers the room
is not the overriding factor. Such speakers will sound bad in any
room.

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<c85a7a00-4b6e-4cae-a0ff-6a10e730da0fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1225&group=uk.rec.audio#1225

Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 01:03:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: palliso...@gmail.com (Phil Allison)
 by: Phil Allison - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 08:03 UTC

Dope Pearce wrote:
================

> >** Often a room effect and due to corner placement near the floor.
> >
> >> All ported speakers work the same way.
> >
> >** News to Messrs Theile and Small.
> >
> No it won't.

** ROTFL !!

> They both understood overcoupled resonance.

** Not what you fucking posted - dope.

> >>The driver has a resonance
> >> dictated by its equivalent mass and the elasticity of its surround.
> >> The port needs to have the same resonance frequency.
> >
> > ** See above, there are many possible "alignments" not just the B4 one.
>
> Not relevant to what I am saying.

** Yawnnnnnnnn - shame about what you posted then.

> And you will find very few
> commercial speakers that don't use this alignment.

** Bullshit. QB3 is far more common.

> >** There are two *impedance* peaks with a dip in the middle where the woofer cone excursion is a minimum and the port output at a maximum. Response rolls off at 24dB/oct below that frequency, if aligned correctly.
> >Plenty of software will predict the result for a given driver and box.
>
> And? We all know this.

** Wot were your mysterious "peaks" then ???

> >But room dimensions and construction has an over riding effect in all cases.
>
> We know that when it comes to woolly, boomy sounding speakers

** Begs the question.

Can the casual listener tell if it's the room or speaker that is actually "boomy."

Or just Dope Peace who is balmy .......

...... Phil

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<62d91a40.7221046@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1226&group=uk.rec.audio#1226

From: spa...@spam.com (Don Pearce)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 09:23:00 GMT
 by: Don Pearce - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 09:23 UTC

On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 01:03:48 -0700 (PDT), Phil Allison
<pallison49@gmail.com> wrote:

>Dope Pearce wrote:
>================

>> >** Often a room effect and due to corner placement near the floor.

>> >** News to Messrs Theile and Small.
>> >
>> No it won't.
>
>** ROTFL !!
>
>> They both understood overcoupled resonance.
>
>** Not what you fucking posted - dope.

>> > ** See above, there are many possible "alignments" not just the B4 one.
>>
>> Not relevant to what I am saying.
>
>** Yawnnnnnnnn - shame about what you posted then.
>
>> And you will find very few
>> commercial speakers that don't use this alignment.
>
>** Bullshit. QB3 is far more common.
>

>> >** There are two *impedance* peaks with a dip in the middle where the woofer cone excursion is a minimum and the port output at a maximum. Response rolls off at 24dB/oct below that frequency, if aligned correctly.
>> >Plenty of software will predict the result for a given driver and box.
>>
>> And? We all know this.
>
>** Wot were your mysterious "peaks" then ???
>
>> >But room dimensions and construction has an over riding effect in all cases.
>>
>> We know that when it comes to woolly, boomy sounding speakers
>
>** Begs the question.
>
>Can the casual listener tell if it's the room or speaker that is actually "boomy."
>
>Or just Dope Peace who is balmy .......
>

>..... Phil

Sorry about this everybody, poor old Phil is really having to stretch
to be a jerk here. Just ignore his desperate nit-picking and read what
I wrote about applying heavy damping to one resonator in a coupled
system. That is what happens when you put foam or socks in a speaker
port.

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<tbbu3g$2fhve$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1227&group=uk.rec.audio#1227

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 17:15:40 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 16:15 UTC

Yes Dentons were way ahead of their times for 2 unit infinite baffle
speakers and not prone to the polystyrene decay of some of the more up
market speakers. I have some in the front sitting room, even an old fidelity
amp sounds good on those.
Brian

--

--:
"Woody" <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Wed 20/07/2022 12:16, Andrew wrote:
>> It could be that I am hearing what I always should have heard because
>> the previous arrangement was my HD-FOXT2 STB feeding my Amptastic Mini
>> amp using phono connectors and a pair of re-purposed Phillips 320
>> computer speakers (circa 2006 but without the original 'brick'
>> PS/Amp). These were given a good review by various computer mags back
>> in 2006, which is why I bought them. The amp subsequently developed a
>> hum and the multiway 'din' connector that connected both speakers in
>> one plug suffered bent pins, so I binned it and rewired the speakers.
>>
>> The Sony speakers are perched on top of my Wharfedale Linton 2's
>> (for now) and about a foot away from the rear wall.
>>
>> Andrew
>>

> Another silly question: why don't you use the Linton's? I have a 20Wpc
> Class D amp (SMSL SA-36A Pro) driving a pair of Dentons as my computer
> speakers and they sound superb, especially on HD sound sources and
> recordings in flac or ogg format.
>
> [John Collinson (who was the speaker designer of that time at Wharfedale
> then at Idle in Bradford and before that was Chief Engineer at Quad) knew
> a thing or two about speakers. He left around 1973 and with another chap
> ex Wharfedale set up what was to become a well reputed speaker
> manufacturer - Castle Acoustics - in Skipton.]

Re: Sony SS-CSD1 speakers

<tbc7m7$1u8t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1229&group=uk.rec.audio#1229

From: Andrew97...@mybtinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 19:59:20 +0100
 by: Andrew - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 18:59 UTC

And yet the Linton 2's were never held in high esteem by the
people who regards themselves as hifi experts.

2nd hand they go for about £30 a pair, while other makes and models
go for much more.

I am quite surprised that after 44 years the rubber surrounds of the
drivers are still in perfect condition.

I did think of replacing them but it is now quite difficult to find
a dealer where you can compare makes and models. Richer Sounds used
to have listening rooms but not any more. These days it is all flat
screen TV's and sound bases like Sonos that rule the roost.

Andrew