Democracy is the name we give the people whenever we need them. -- Arman de Caillavet, 1913

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

SubjectAuthor
* White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!David Brooks
`* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!Anonymous
 +* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!David Brooks
 |`* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!Kelly Phillips
 | `* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!David Brooks
 |  `* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!Wolffan
 |   `* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!David_B
 |    `- Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!Wolffan
 +* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!David_B
 |`- Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!Wolffan
 `* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!David G. Brooks
  `* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!David G. Brooks
   +* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!Snit
   |`* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!FromTheRafters
   | `- Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!Snit
   `* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!Commander Kinsey
    `* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!David G. Brooks
     `* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!Commander Kinsey
      +* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!David G. Brooks
      |`* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!Commander Kinsey
      | `* Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!David G. Brooks
      |  `- Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!Commander Kinsey
      `- Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!nospam

1
White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<sgPoK.183899$b21.168865@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8868&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8868

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: nom...@afraid.org (David Brooks)
Subject: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2022 23:07:20 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Fri, 10 Jun 2022 22:07 UTC

Copy/Paste
**********

About this site

My name is Thomas Reed, and this is the personal Mac security site.

I work for Malwarebytes, but this site is not affiliated with my
employer. It is dedicated to open-source code and other information
meant to be shared publicly with the Mac security, IT, and forensics
communities.

My malware research and other such things can be found on the
Malwarebytes blog:

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/author/treed/

My open-source code can be found on GitHub:

https://github.com/thomasareed

--
Some interesting reading!

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<t82rr9$liv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8873&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8873

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (Anonymous)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 19:53:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:d1/36JjCsdfFymrwg7glYfrS894=
 by: Anonymous - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 19:53 UTC

David Brooks <nomail@afraid.org> wrote:
> Copy/Paste
> **********
>
> About this site
>
> My name is Thomas Reed, and this is the personal Mac security site.
>
> I work for Malwarebytes, but this site is not affiliated with my
> employer. It is dedicated to open-source code and other information
> meant to be shared publicly with the Mac security, IT, and forensics
> communities.
>
> My malware research and other such things can be found on the
> Malwarebytes blog:
>
> https://blog.malwarebytes.com/author/treed/
>
> My open-source code can be found on GitHub:
>
> https://github.com/thomasareed

Indeed some interesting reading there

--
Jonbo

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<Lj8pK.325151$m21.42187@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8874&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8874

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: nom...@afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 23:04:27 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sat, 11 Jun 2022 22:04 UTC

On 11/06/2022 20:53, Anonymous wrote:
> David Brooks <nomail@afraid.org> wrote:
>> Copy/Paste
>> **********
>>
>> About this site
>>
>> My name is Thomas Reed, and this is the personal Mac security site.
>>
>> I work for Malwarebytes, but this site is not affiliated with my
>> employer. It is dedicated to open-source code and other information
>> meant to be shared publicly with the Mac security, IT, and forensics
>> communities.
>>
>> My malware research and other such things can be found on the
>> Malwarebytes blog:
>>
>> https://blog.malwarebytes.com/author/treed/
>>
>> My open-source code can be found on GitHub:
>>
>> https://github.com/thomasareed
>>

> Indeed some interesting reading there

When I bought my first Apple iMac in early 2009 I familiarised myself
with the Apple Support Communities (ASC) forums. Thomas Reed used to
post there on a more-or-less daily basis and did so for a number of
years. I thought he was most helpful and, above all, genuine.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/thomas-reed-a85594124/

He developed software called AdwareMedic and sold-out (in!) to
Malwarebytes in 2015. He is now a Director of Malwarebytes.

On the other hand, I can recall *NO* posts on the ASC forums which were
made by Mark Allan of ClamXav. *NONE*. He DID have information on Git
Hub, but that has been removed since I started to ask questions about him.

Mark Allan used to run his own, private, BBS-type forums. I've found no
record of same this evening. Odd. They disappeared when ClamXav was
launched as a commercial product
https://www.clamxav.com/change-to-commercial-software/

A thread of some possible interest here:-
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1287827

HTH

--
Kind regards,
David

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<q4paah9mnl8dh8r922uk6jd8ejurnnlc75@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8875&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8875

From: KFi...@podcasts.org (Kelly Phillips)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 23:01:09 -0500
 by: Kelly Phillips - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 04:01 UTC

On Sat, 11 Jun 2022 23:04:27 +0100, David Brooks <nomail@afraid.org>
wrote:

>When I bought my first Apple iMac in early 2009 I familiarised myself
>with the Apple Support Communities (ASC) forums. Thomas Reed used to
>post there on a more-or-less daily basis and did so for a number of
>years. I thought he was most helpful and, above all, genuine.
>
>He developed software called AdwareMedic and sold-out (in!) to
>Malwarebytes in 2015. He is now a Director of Malwarebytes.
>
>On the other hand, I can recall *NO* posts on the ASC forums which were
>made by Mark Allan of ClamXav. *NONE*. He DID have information on Git
>Hub, but that has been removed since I started to ask questions about him.
>
>Mark Allan used to run his own, private, BBS-type forums. I've found no
>record of same this evening. Odd. They disappeared when ClamXav was
>launched as a commercial product

Hey dopey, here's another one of your "hurt people for fun" posts that
you can't seem to remember making.

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<M3hpK.325153$m21.304425@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8876&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8876

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: nom...@afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 09:01:48 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 08:01 UTC

On 12/06/2022 05:01, Kelly Phillips wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jun 2022 23:04:27 +0100, David Brooks <nomail@afraid.org>
> wrote:
>
>> When I bought my first Apple iMac in early 2009 I familiarised myself
>> with the Apple Support Communities (ASC) forums. Thomas Reed used to
>> post there on a more-or-less daily basis and did so for a number of
>> years. I thought he was most helpful and, above all, genuine.
>>
>> He developed software called AdwareMedic and sold-out (in!) to
>> Malwarebytes in 2015. He is now a Director of Malwarebytes.
>>
>> On the other hand, I can recall *NO* posts on the ASC forums which were
>> made by Mark Allan of ClamXav. *NONE*. He DID have information on Git
>> Hub, but that has been removed since I started to ask questions about him.
>>
>> Mark Allan used to run his own, private, BBS-type forums. I've found no
>> record of same this evening. Odd. They disappeared when ClamXav was
>> launched as a commercial product
>
> Hey dopey, here's another one of your "hurt people for fun" posts that
> you can't seem to remember making.

Do YOU remember THIS one?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjn1qy8d9om8qy6/Reply%20to%20Rob%20in%20Microsoft%20Answers%20%28JPG%29%202.jpg?dl=0

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<0001HW.28560A960329E67670000EC5F38F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8885&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#8885

Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 07:50:46 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop, uk.comp.sys.mac
 by: Wolffan - Sun, 12 Jun 2022 11:50 UTC

On 12 Jun 2022, David Brooks wrote
(in article <M3hpK.325153$m21.304425@fx14.ams1>):

> On 12/06/2022 05:01, Kelly Phillips wrote:
> > On Sat, 11 Jun 2022 23:04:27 +0100, David Brooks <nomail@afraid.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > When I bought my first Apple iMac in early 2009 I familiarised myself
> > > with the Apple Support Communities (ASC) forums. Thomas Reed used to
> > > post there on a more-or-less daily basis and did so for a number of
> > > years. I thought he was most helpful and, above all, genuine.
> > >
> > > He developed software called AdwareMedic and sold-out (in!) to
> > > Malwarebytes in 2015. He is now a Director of Malwarebytes.
> > >
> > > On the other hand, I can recall *NO* posts on the ASC forums which were
> > > made by Mark Allan of ClamXav. *NONE*. He DID have information on Git
> > > Hub, but that has been removed since I started to ask questions about him.
> > >
> > > Mark Allan used to run his own, private, BBS-type forums. I've found no
> > > record of same this evening. Odd. They disappeared when ClamXav was
> > > launched as a commercial product
> >
> > Hey dopey, here's another one of your "hurt people for fun" posts that
> > you can't seem to remember making.
>
> Do YOU remember THIS one?
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjn1qy8d9om8qy6/Reply%20to%20Rob%20in%20Microsoft%20
> Answers%20%28JPG%29%202.jpg?dl=0

Achtung! Stalking attempt in progress! Dropbox can be configured to let the
owner know who access a file, and when!

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<t8mjjf$ce3$1@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9028&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#9028

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (David_B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.computer.workshop
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 07:35:11 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:RHywoIQNm9AC75DyDllBl1pXYZA=
 by: David_B - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 07:35 UTC

Anonymous <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> David Brooks <nomail@afraid.org> wrote:
>> Copy/Paste
>> **********
>>
>> About this site
>>
>> My name is Thomas Reed, and this is the personal Mac security site.
>>
>> I work for Malwarebytes, but this site is not affiliated with my
>> employer. It is dedicated to open-source code and other information
>> meant to be shared publicly with the Mac security, IT, and forensics
>> communities.
>>
>> My malware research and other such things can be found on the
>> Malwarebytes blog:
>>
>> https://blog.malwarebytes.com/author/treed/
>>
>> My open-source code can be found on GitHub:
>>
>> https://github.com/thomasareed
>>

> Indeed some interesting reading there

After all the things you’ve read, will you be installing the ClamXav
software onto YOUR Apple computer?

--
David_B

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<t8mk5o$g04$1@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9030&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#9030

From: no_em...@invalid.invalid (David_B)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac,alt.computer.workshop
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 07:44:56 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:AUpArjFJKKmnUiLrn3T0+HJ6PX0=
 by: David_B - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 07:44 UTC

Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
> On 12 Jun 2022, David Brooks wrote
> (in article <M3hpK.325153$m21.304425@fx14.ams1>):
>
>> On 12/06/2022 05:01, Kelly Phillips wrote:

>>> Hey dopey, here's another one of your "hurt people for fun" posts that
>>> you can't seem to remember making.
>>
>> Do YOU remember THIS one?
>>
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjn1qy8d9om8qy6/Reply%20to%20Rob%20in%20Microsoft%20
>> Answers%20%28JPG%29%202.jpg?dl=0
>
> Achtung! Stalking attempt in progress! Dropbox can be configured to let the
> owner know who access a file, and when!

NOW …… www.identit.ca is decidedly different!

The Canadian cyber security strategy aims to ensure security and protect
the freedoms and rights of individual users and businesses. The goal is to
protect users from cyber threats such as theft of financial and personal
information, trade secrets, and intellectual property.

--
David_B

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<0001HW.285F3AFC00A651CB700003A8438F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9034&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#9034

Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 07:07:40 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac, alt.computer.workshop
 by: Wolffan - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 11:07 UTC

On 19 Jun 2022, David_B wrote
(in article<t8mk5o$g04$1@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>):

> Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
> > On 12 Jun 2022, David Brooks wrote
> > (in article <M3hpK.325153$m21.304425@fx14.ams1>):

> > > Do YOU remember THIS one?
> > >
> > > https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjn1qy8d9om8qy6/Reply%20to%20Rob%20in%20Microsoft
> > > %20
> > > Answers%20%28JPG%29%202.jpg?dl=0
> >
> > Achtung! Stalking attempt in progress! Dropbox can be configured to let the
> > owner know who access a file, and when!
>
> NOW …… www.identit.ca is decidedly different!
>
> The Canadian cyber security strategy aims to ensure security and protect
> the freedoms and rights of individual users and businesses. The goal is to
> protect users from cyber threats such as theft of financial and personal
> information, trade secrets, and intellectual property.

the vile one is posting while drunk again. his reply has absolutely nothing
to do with my post...

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<0001HW.285F3B5100A665E9700003A8438F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9035&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#9035

Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 07:09:05 -0400
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (Wolffan)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac, alt.computer.workshop
 by: Wolffan - Sun, 19 Jun 2022 11:09 UTC

On 19 Jun 2022, David_B wrote
(in article<t8mjjf$ce3$1@hunterbd.eternal-september.org>):

> Anonymous <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> > David Brooks <nomail@afraid.org> wrote:
> > > Copy/Paste
> > > **********
> > >
> > > About this site
> > >
> > > My name is Thomas Reed, and this is the personal Mac security site.
> > >
> > > I work for Malwarebytes, but this site is not affiliated with my
> > > employer. It is dedicated to open-source code and other information
> > > meant to be shared publicly with the Mac security, IT, and forensics
> > > communities.
> > >
> > > My malware research and other such things can be found on the
> > > Malwarebytes blog:
> > >
> > > https://blog.malwarebytes.com/author/treed/
> > >
> > > My open-source code can be found on GitHub:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/thomasareed
> >
> > Indeed some interesting reading there
>
> After all the things you’ve read, will you be installing the ClamXav
> software onto YOUR Apple computer?

Achtung! Sliming attempt in progress! ol’ yellowstain can’t stop
obsessing about certain apps and their devs!

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<FZmgL.1616500$%fx6.1201489@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12236&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12236

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@always.invalid (David G. Brooks)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 11:43:33 +0000
 by: David G. Brooks - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 11:43 UTC

On 11/06/2022 20:53, Anonymous wrote:
> David Brooks <nomail@afraid.org> wrote:
>> Copy/Paste
>> **********
>>
>> About this site
>>
>> My name is Thomas Reed, and this is the personal Mac security site.
>>
>> I work for Malwarebytes, but this site is not affiliated with my
>> employer. It is dedicated to open-source code and other information
>> meant to be shared publicly with the Mac security, IT, and forensics
>> communities.
>>
>> My malware research and other such things can be found on the
>> Malwarebytes blog:
>>
>> https://blog.malwarebytes.com/author/treed/
>>
>> My open-source code can be found on GitHub:
>>
>> https://github.com/thomasareed
>>

> Indeed some interesting reading there

Does the Malwarebytes link still 'work' for you?

THIS is what I now see:- https://jmp.sh/OcOvSVNA

--
David

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<dfngL.2606063$%q2.510325@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12240&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12240

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@always.invalid (David G. Brooks)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:02:17 +0000
 by: David G. Brooks - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:02 UTC

On 26/11/2022 11:43, David G. Brooks wrote:
> On 11/06/2022 20:53, Anonymous wrote:
>> David Brooks <nomail@afraid.org> wrote:
>>> Copy/Paste
>>> **********
>>>
>>> About this site
>>>
>>> My name is Thomas Reed, and this is the personal Mac security site.
>>>
>>> I work for Malwarebytes, but this site is not affiliated with my
>>> employer. It is dedicated to open-source code and other information
>>> meant to be shared publicly with the Mac security, IT, and forensics
>>> communities.
>>>
>>> My malware research and other such things can be found on the
>>> Malwarebytes blog:
>>>
>>> https://blog.malwarebytes.com/author/treed/
>>>
>>> My open-source code can be found on GitHub:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/thomasareed
>>>

>> Indeed some interesting reading there
>

> Does the Malwarebytes link still 'work' for you?
>
> THIS is what I now see:-  https://jmp.sh/OcOvSVNA

I have found THIS though:-

https://whitehatmac.com

Hmmm.

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<15ugL.167781$BIx.165130@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12245&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12245

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 19:49:17 GMT
 by: Snit - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 19:49 UTC

On Nov 26, 2022 at 5:02:17 AM MST, ""David G. Brooks"" wrote
<dfngL.2606063$%q2.510325@fx15.ams1>:

> On 26/11/2022 11:43, David G. Brooks wrote:

>>> Indeed some interesting reading there
>>

>> Does the Malwarebytes link still 'work' for you?
>>
>> THIS is what I now see:- https://jmp.sh/OcOvSVNA
>

> I have found THIS though:-
>
> https://whitehatmac.com
>
> Hmmm.

YES! This 1000x. It is why I am OK with people using technical terms but do
not get caught up with such silliness, or try not to. The whole "cypher" vs.
"encoded" or whatever was silly... and designed to obfuscate more important
issues.

--
Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<op.1v9egdp3mvhs6z@ryzen.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12247&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12247

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 21:10:51 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 21:10 UTC

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:02:17 -0000, David G. Brooks <DavidB@always.invalid> wrote:

> On 26/11/2022 11:43, David G. Brooks wrote:

>>> Indeed some interesting reading there
>>

>> Does the Malwarebytes link still 'work' for you?
>>
>> THIS is what I now see:- https://jmp.sh/OcOvSVNA
>

> I have found THIS though:-
>
> https://whitehatmac.com
>
> Hmmm.

Interesting reading. And I agree with it. Everything and everyone oughta stay off my computer!

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<dBvgL.421799$YVsf.114732@fx01.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12249&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12249

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@always.invalid (David G. Brooks)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 21:31:53 +0000
 by: David G. Brooks - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 21:31 UTC

On 26/11/2022 21:10, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:02:17 -0000, David G. Brooks
> <DavidB@always.invalid> wrote:

>>> Does the Malwarebytes link still 'work' for you?
>>>
>>> THIS is what I now see:-  https://jmp.sh/OcOvSVNA
>>

>> I have found THIS though:-
>>
>> https://whitehatmac.com
>>
>> Hmmm.
>
> Interesting reading.  And I agree with it.  Everything and everyone
> oughta stay off my computer!

As a bit of a guru yourself, do you use any AV software?

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<op.1v9h5fa9mvhs6z@ryzen.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12255&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12255

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:30:41 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:30 UTC

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 21:31:53 -0000, David G. Brooks <DavidB@always.invalid> wrote:

> On 26/11/2022 21:10, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:02:17 -0000, David G. Brooks
>> <DavidB@always.invalid> wrote:

>>> I have found THIS though:-
>>>
>>> https://whitehatmac.com
>>>
>>> Hmmm.
>>
>> Interesting reading. And I agree with it. Everything and everyone
>> oughta stay off my computer!
>
> As a bit of a guru yourself, do you use any AV software?

I'm not stupid enough to get viruses, but just in case I used to use AVG. Now I just use Windows's built in one. Doesn't Apple have that?

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<tlu43p$1f9jd$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12256&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12256

From: FTR...@nomail.afraid.org (FromTheRafters)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 17:31:21 -0500
 by: FromTheRafters - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:31 UTC

On 11/26/22 14:49, Snit wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2022 at 5:02:17 AM MST, ""David G. Brooks"" wrote
> <dfngL.2606063$%q2.510325@fx15.ams1>:

>>> Does the Malwarebytes link still 'work' for you?
>>>
>>> THIS is what I now see:- https://jmp.sh/OcOvSVNA
>>

>> I have found THIS though:-
>>
>> https://whitehatmac.com
>>
>> Hmmm.
>
> YES! This 1000x. It is why I am OK with people using technical terms but do
> not get caught up with such silliness, or try not to. The whole "cypher" vs.
> "encoded" or whatever was silly... and designed to obfuscate more important
> issues.

Sure, lazy language doesn't hurt anybody that much. There is a major
difference between encoding and encrypting within a 'technical
discussion' though. Take the floodbot that you wrote for instance, oops,
did I say floodbot? Whatever chatbot floodbot same thing, a bot is a bot
is a bot, right?

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<ZywgL.2071901$qD%2.298571@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12257&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12257

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@always.invalid (David G. Brooks)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:37:45 +0000
 by: David G. Brooks - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:37 UTC

On 26/11/2022 22:30, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 21:31:53 -0000, David G. Brooks
> <DavidB@always.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 26/11/2022 21:10, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>> Interesting reading.  And I agree with it.  Everything and everyone
>>> oughta stay off my computer!
>>
>> As a bit of a guru yourself, do you use any AV software?
>
> I'm not stupid enough to get viruses, but just in case I used to use
> AVG.  Now I just use Windows's built in one.  Doesn't Apple have that?

Apple operates a threat intelligence process to quickly identify and
block malware.

There are three layers of defence

Malware defences are structured in three layers:

1. Prevent launch or execution of malware: App Store, or Gatekeeper
combined with Notarisation
2. Block malware from running on customer systems: Gatekeeper,
Notarisation and XProtect
3. Remediate malware that has executed: XProtect

The first layer of defence is designed to inhibit the distribution of
malware, and prevent it from launching even once — this is the goal of
the App Store, and Gatekeeper combined with Notarisation.

The next layer of defence is to help ensure that if malware appears on
any Mac, it’s quickly identified and blocked, both to halt spread and to
remediate the Mac systems it’s already gained a foothold on. XProtect
adds to this defence, along with Gatekeeper and Notarisation.

Finally, XProtect acts to remediate malware that has managed to
successfully execute.

SOURCE: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/security/sec469d47bd8/web

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<op.1v9jb3szmvhs6z@ryzen.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12260&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12260

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:56:17 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:56 UTC

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:37:45 -0000, David G. Brooks <DavidB@always.invalid> wrote:

> On 26/11/2022 22:30, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 21:31:53 -0000, David G. Brooks
>> <DavidB@always.invalid> wrote:

>>> As a bit of a guru yourself, do you use any AV software?
>>
>> I'm not stupid enough to get viruses, but just in case I used to use
>> AVG. Now I just use Windows's built in one. Doesn't Apple have that?
>

> Apple operates a threat intelligence process to quickly identify and
> block malware.
>
> There are three layers of defence
>
> Malware defences are structured in three layers:
>
> 1. Prevent launch or execution of malware: App Store, or Gatekeeper
> combined with Notarisation
> 2. Block malware from running on customer systems: Gatekeeper,
> Notarisation and XProtect
> 3. Remediate malware that has executed: XProtect
>
> The first layer of defence is designed to inhibit the distribution of
> malware, and prevent it from launching even once — this is the goal of
> the App Store, and Gatekeeper combined with Notarisation.
>
> The next layer of defence is to help ensure that if malware appears on
> any Mac, it’s quickly identified and blocked, both to halt spread and to
> remediate the Mac systems it’s already gained a foothold on. XProtect
> adds to this defence, along with Gatekeeper and Notarisation.
>
> Finally, XProtect acts to remediate malware that has managed to
> successfully execute.
>
> SOURCE: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/security/sec469d47bd8/web

So why run a 3rd party product aswell?

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<261120221802080068%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12263&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12263

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 18:02:08 -0500
 by: nospam - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 23:02 UTC

In article <op.1v9h5fa9mvhs6z@ryzen.home>, Commander Kinsey
<CK1@nospam.com> wrote:

> I'm not stupid enough to get viruses,

many disagree, and for more than just viruses.

> but just in case I used to use AVG. Now I just use Windows's built in one. Doesn't Apple have that?

it does.

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<r0xgL.2606075$%q2.1076898@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12265&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12265

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@always.invalid (David G. Brooks)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 23:09:11 +0000
 by: David G. Brooks - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 23:09 UTC

On 26/11/2022 22:56, Commander Kinsey wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:37:45 -0000, David G. Brooks
> <DavidB@always.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 26/11/2022 22:30, Commander Kinsey wrote:

>>> I'm not stupid enough to get viruses, but just in case I used to use
>>> AVG.  Now I just use Windows's built in one.  Doesn't Apple have that?
>>

>> Apple operates a threat intelligence process to quickly identify and
>> block malware.
>>
>> There are three layers of defence
>>
>> Malware defences are structured in three layers:
>>
>> 1. Prevent launch or execution of malware: App Store, or Gatekeeper
>> combined with Notarisation
>> 2. Block malware from running on customer systems: Gatekeeper,
>> Notarisation and XProtect
>> 3. Remediate malware that has executed: XProtect
>>
>> The first layer of defence is designed to inhibit the distribution of
>> malware, and prevent it from launching even once — this is the goal of
>> the App Store, and Gatekeeper combined with Notarisation.
>>
>> The next layer of defence is to help ensure that if malware appears on
>> any Mac, it’s quickly identified and blocked, both to halt spread and to
>> remediate the Mac systems it’s already gained a foothold on. XProtect
>> adds to this defence, along with Gatekeeper and Notarisation.
>>
>> Finally, XProtect acts to remediate malware that has managed to
>> successfully execute.
>>
>> SOURCE: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/security/sec469d47bd8/web
>
> So why run a 3rd party product as well?

Even Apple is not infallible! ;-)

Apple Support have recommended the use of Malwarebytes, if required, to
solve a malware problem.

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<op.1v9lm2xfmvhs6z@ryzen.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12266&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12266

Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 23:46:04 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 23:46 UTC

On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 23:09:11 -0000, David G. Brooks <DavidB@always.invalid> wrote:

> On 26/11/2022 22:56, Commander Kinsey wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:37:45 -0000, David G. Brooks
>> <DavidB@always.invalid> wrote:

>>> Apple operates a threat intelligence process to quickly identify and
>>> block malware.
>>>
>>> There are three layers of defence
>>>
>>> Malware defences are structured in three layers:
>>>
>>> 1. Prevent launch or execution of malware: App Store, or Gatekeeper
>>> combined with Notarisation
>>> 2. Block malware from running on customer systems: Gatekeeper,
>>> Notarisation and XProtect
>>> 3. Remediate malware that has executed: XProtect
>>>
>>> The first layer of defence is designed to inhibit the distribution of
>>> malware, and prevent it from launching even once — this is the goal of
>>> the App Store, and Gatekeeper combined with Notarisation.
>>>
>>> The next layer of defence is to help ensure that if malware appears on
>>> any Mac, it’s quickly identified and blocked, both to halt spread and to
>>> remediate the Mac systems it’s already gained a foothold on. XProtect
>>> adds to this defence, along with Gatekeeper and Notarisation.
>>>
>>> Finally, XProtect acts to remediate malware that has managed to
>>> successfully execute.
>>>
>>> SOURCE: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/security/sec469d47bd8/web
>>
>> So why run a 3rd party product as well?
>

> Even Apple is not infallible! ;-)
>
> Apple Support have recommended the use of Malwarebytes, if required, to
> solve a malware problem.

The inbuilt Windows Defender received one of the top marks in reviews. No other software is required.

Re: White Hat Mac - a great Mac security Blog!

<7KxgL.226434$cVTf.103285@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12267&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12267

From: brock.mc...@gmail.com (Snit)
Newsgroups: alt.computer.workshop,uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 23:57:55 GMT
 by: Snit - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 23:57 UTC

On Nov 26, 2022 at 3:31:21 PM MST, "FromTheRafters" wrote
<tlu43p$1f9jd$2@dont-email.me>:

> On 11/26/22 14:49, Snit wrote:
>> On Nov 26, 2022 at 5:02:17 AM MST, ""David G. Brooks"" wrote
>> <dfngL.2606063$%q2.510325@fx15.ams1>:

>>> I have found THIS though:-
>>>
>>> https://whitehatmac.com
>>>
>>> Hmmm.
>>
>> YES! This 1000x. It is why I am OK with people using technical terms but do
>> not get caught up with such silliness, or try not to. The whole "cypher" vs.
>> "encoded" or whatever was silly... and designed to obfuscate more important
>> issues.
>>
> Sure, lazy language doesn't hurt anybody that much.

It is not necessarily lazy... it is not using jargon with people who might not
know the jargon. None of us know the jargon of all groups.

> There is a major
> difference between encoding and encrypting within a 'technical
> discussion' though.

Do not want to rehash (so to speak) but there is also how things are being
used.

> Take the floodbot that you wrote for instance, oops,
> did I say floodbot? Whatever chatbot floodbot same thing, a bot is a bot
> is a bot, right?

LOL! That is about how they are used (and more).