To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Anyone uninstalled Avast from W7?

SubjectAuthor
* Anyone uninstalled Avast from W7?David
+* Re: Anyone uninstalled Avast from W7?Andy
|`- Re: Anyone uninstalled Avast from W7?Dan
`* Re: Anyone uninstalled Avast from W7?Philip Herlihy
 +- Re: Anyone uninstalled Avast from W7?Jaimie Vandenbergh
 `- Re: Anyone uninstalled Avast from W7?Andy

1
Anyone uninstalled Avast from W7?

<ildq1rFi409U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1205&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1205

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Anyone uninstalled Avast from W7?
Date: 16 Jul 2021 16:22:19 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 16:22 UTC

I'm getting increasingly fed up with Avast and the constant prompts to
upgrade.
Also it telling me that I may be at risk because my IP address is visible
to the Internet (although it is behind a NAT router).
Also that my location is visible (although this is the nearest POP where
Virgin links into the Internet backbone).
I'm also concerned that Avast looks to be targeted for a buyout by Norton
(surely a marriage made in heaven).

I am approaching the limits of the "if it's broke don't fix it" and
thinking of installing an alternative.

How easy is it to rid me of this turbulent priest?

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Anyone uninstalled Avast from W7?

<78Sdnd7F5a5Gemz9nZ2dnUU78eHNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1206&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1206

Subject: Re: Anyone uninstalled Avast from W7?
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: use...@example.net (Andy)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 21:11:07 +0100
 by: Andy - Fri, 16 Jul 2021 20:11 UTC

On 16/07/2021 17:22, David wrote:
> I'm getting increasingly fed up with Avast and the constant prompts to
> upgrade.
> Also it telling me that I may be at risk because my IP address is visible
> to the Internet (although it is behind a NAT router).
> Also that my location is visible (although this is the nearest POP where
> Virgin links into the Internet backbone).
> I'm also concerned that Avast looks to be targeted for a buyout by Norton
> (surely a marriage made in heaven).
>
> I am approaching the limits of the "if it's broke don't fix it" and
> thinking of installing an alternative.
>
> How easy is it to rid me of this turbulent priest?
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Don't be ever tempted to upgrade, I did to premium when they had one of
those constant prompts and a large discount on offer paid in the reason
of 23 quid for 1 year, but if you pay by card the put you on a
continuing card payment and I didn't want that, so I contacted the bank,
who despite Money saving expert telling people they can stop continuing
card payments if you ring them at the bank in my case they didn't want
to know, and asked me to contact avast and they could do it, I did and
to fair they did and now daily I get a pop up reminding me I need to
change my payment details as my agreement runs out in Apr 22. Before
that too the buying the upgrade did not stop the "constant prompts" the
IP one the you should buy our VPN one etc etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a less nagging free one? or is
that just the price you have to accept for free.

Andy

Re: Anyone uninstalled Avast from W7?

<sg55fg116vdbnd9qom31cpfic9bm8qjrc1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1208&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1208

From: non...@none.com (Dan)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 09:35:04 +0100
 by: Dan - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 08:35 UTC

On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 21:11:07 +0100, Andy <user@example.net> wrote:

>On 16/07/2021 17:22, David wrote:
>> I'm getting increasingly fed up with Avast and the constant prompts to
>> upgrade.
>> Also it telling me that I may be at risk because my IP address is visible
>> to the Internet (although it is behind a NAT router).
>> Also that my location is visible (although this is the nearest POP where
>> Virgin links into the Internet backbone).
>> I'm also concerned that Avast looks to be targeted for a buyout by Norton
>> (surely a marriage made in heaven).
>>
>> I am approaching the limits of the "if it's broke don't fix it" and
>> thinking of installing an alternative.
>>
>> How easy is it to rid me of this turbulent priest?
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>>

>Don't be ever tempted to upgrade, I did to premium when they had one of
>those constant prompts and a large discount on offer paid in the reason
>of 23 quid for 1 year, but if you pay by card the put you on a
>continuing card payment and I didn't want that, so I contacted the bank,
>who despite Money saving expert telling people they can stop continuing
>card payments if you ring them at the bank in my case they didn't want
>to know, and asked me to contact avast and they could do it, I did and
>to fair they did and now daily I get a pop up reminding me I need to
>change my payment details as my agreement runs out in Apr 22. Before
>that too the buying the upgrade did not stop the "constant prompts" the
>IP one the you should buy our VPN one etc etc.
>
>Does anyone have any recommendations for a less nagging free one? or is
>that just the price you have to accept for free.
>

>Andy
Bitdefender free has a good reputation.

Re: Anyone uninstalled Avast from W7?

<MPG.3b5cd0fe65b35595989964@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1212&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1212

From: thiswill...@you.com (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 12:36:01 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 11:36 UTC

In article <ildq1rFi409U5@mid.individual.net>, wibble@btinternet.com says...

> I'm getting increasingly fed up with Avast and the constant prompts to
> upgrade.
> Also it telling me that I may be at risk because my IP address is visible
> to the Internet (although it is behind a NAT router).
> Also that my location is visible (although this is the nearest POP where
> Virgin links into the Internet backbone).
> I'm also concerned that Avast looks to be targeted for a buyout by Norton
> (surely a marriage made in heaven).
>
> I am approaching the limits of the "if it's broke don't fix it" and
> thinking of installing an alternative.
>
> How easy is it to rid me of this turbulent priest?
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R
>

> --
> AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64

In my experience most of the major (popular) antivirus programs demonstrate
just how good Revo Uninstaller is by leaving behind hundreds, sometimes
thousands, of junk files and registry entries on uninstallation, which Revo
Uninstaller diligently deletes after a scan. (Uninstall stuff from within Revo
Uninstaller to get the scan option.) Free and indispensible.

I've found Avast broke more than one system, in once case by attaching its own
"device driver" to a disk; problems ceased once I uninstalled that from within
Device Manager, and before uninstalling the lot using Revo.

--

Phil, London

Re: Anyone uninstalled Avast from W7?

<ilg75lFihn4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1217&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1217

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 17 Jul 2021 14:18:29 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 14:18 UTC

On 17 Jul 2021 at 12:36:01 BST, "Philip Herlihy"
<thiswillbounceback@you.com> wrote:

> I've found Avast broke more than one system, in once case by attaching its own
> "device driver" to a disk;

That's how all live-scanning AV works. They insert a shim into the
driver chain so that all writes and reads from storage go through its
recognition engines.

Note that I'm not defending Avast here...

My own use is just the built in Windows stuff and an occasional manual
scan with Malwarebytes, though that has also gone a long way towards
morphing into as bad a client as any of the usual AV suspects.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"How fleeting are all human passions compared
with the massive continuity of ducks"

Re: Anyone uninstalled Avast from W7?

<9emdnVmDfdK1mmH9nZ2dnUU78aXNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1228&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1228

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
From: use...@example.net (Andy)
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 13:27:20 +0100
 by: Andy - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 12:27 UTC

On 17/07/2021 12:36, Philip Herlihy wrote:
> In article <ildq1rFi409U5@mid.individual.net>, wibble@btinternet.com says...
>>
>> I'm getting increasingly fed up with Avast and the constant prompts to
>> upgrade.
>> Also it telling me that I may be at risk because my IP address is visible
>> to the Internet (although it is behind a NAT router).
>> Also that my location is visible (although this is the nearest POP where
>> Virgin links into the Internet backbone).
>> I'm also concerned that Avast looks to be targeted for a buyout by Norton
>> (surely a marriage made in heaven).
>>
>> I am approaching the limits of the "if it's broke don't fix it" and
>> thinking of installing an alternative.
>>
>> How easy is it to rid me of this turbulent priest?
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>>

>> --
>> AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 7 Pro x64
>
> In my experience most of the major (popular) antivirus programs demonstrate
> just how good Revo Uninstaller is by leaving behind hundreds, sometimes
> thousands, of junk files and registry entries on uninstallation, which Revo
> Uninstaller diligently deletes after a scan. (Uninstall stuff from within Revo
> Uninstaller to get the scan option.) Free and indispensible.
>
> I've found Avast broke more than one system, in once case by attaching its own
> "device driver" to a disk; problems ceased once I uninstalled that from within
> Device Manager, and before uninstalling the lot using Revo.

I tried revo did a lot of deleting but didn't work, then I followed the
advise in this utube video, it worked completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3eAQf9yM7w