The way to a man's stomach is through his esophagus.

aus+uk / uk.rec.audio / Re: Quad 520f + Lockwood. The classic British sound

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Quad 520f + Lockwood. The classic British soundGustav Meyrink
`* Re: Quad 520f + Lockwood. The classic British soundBrian Gaff
 `* Re: Quad 520f + Lockwood. The classic British soundRJH
  `- Re: Quad 520f + Lockwood. The classic British soundBrian Gaff

1
Re: Quad 520f + Lockwood. The classic British sound

<5d155285-3bc2-4a72-8324-aff21d7afbdfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1228&group=uk.rec.audio#1228

Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 11:01:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Quad 520f + Lockwood. The classic British sound
From: gol...@blueyonder.co.uk (Gustav Meyrink)
 by: Gustav Meyrink - Thu, 21 Jul 2022 18:01 UTC

On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 5:00:18 PM UTC, Eiron wrote:
> On 20/03/2017 16:54, Graeme Wall wrote:
> > On 20/03/2017 16:24, Iain Churches wrote:
> >> "MiNe109" <pianof...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> It does have a very distinctive sound, which lends
> >> itself well to the music of the late romantic period.
> >>
> >> Eiron mentioned the Aliquot system where a fourth string,
> >> not struck by the hammer is added to the higher octaves.
> >>
> >> I wonder what the Americans thought when Rachmaninov
> >> took his Bluthner to the USA in 1918. They had their own
> >> American piano sound with the Baldwin.
> >>

> > Don't know about their pianos but they made some damn fine locomotives.
> Don't forget that Steinway started in New York.
> But the main requirement for US pianos is how they look when dropped on
> the sidewalk from a great height. Not forgetting ease of dismantling
> so Harpo can play them.
>
> --
> Eiron.
Steinway started in Germany about 30 years before they opened a factory in New York and anglicised their name from Steinweg to Steinway.
A little later they opened a factory in Hamburg, Germany while the founders eldest son who had remained in Germany formed Grotrian-Steinweg with a partner in Braunschweig. One American piano writer claims that Steinways made in Hamburg are superior to the ones made in NY. He was taken seriously enough that Steinway, NY changed their working practices. But still that writer says that despite having improved American Steinways are still slightly inferior to Hamburg Steinways, Grotrian-Steinwegs, Bösendorfer and Fazioli pianos.

Re: Quad 520f + Lockwood. The classic British sound

<tbdl54$2vr4j$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1230&group=uk.rec.audio#1230

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 08:55:11 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 07:55 UTC

So this thread seems to have been going on for years, How peculiar.
Another thing of course is that many electric pianos claim to sound like
what every make of acoustic they decide on, but really they just sound like
a sample of that piano which is always hthe same. The subtle difference each
time are not reproduced.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Gustav Meyrink" <golix@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 5:00:18 PM UTC, Eiron wrote:
> On 20/03/2017 16:54, Graeme Wall wrote:
> > On 20/03/2017 16:24, Iain Churches wrote:
> >> "MiNe109" <pianof...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> It does have a very distinctive sound, which lends
> >> itself well to the music of the late romantic period.
> >>
> >> Eiron mentioned the Aliquot system where a fourth string,
> >> not struck by the hammer is added to the higher octaves.
> >>
> >> I wonder what the Americans thought when Rachmaninov
> >> took his Bluthner to the USA in 1918. They had their own
> >> American piano sound with the Baldwin.
> >>

> > Don't know about their pianos but they made some damn fine locomotives.
> Don't forget that Steinway started in New York.
> But the main requirement for US pianos is how they look when dropped on
> the sidewalk from a great height. Not forgetting ease of dismantling
> so Harpo can play them.
>
> --
> Eiron.
Steinway started in Germany about 30 years before they opened a factory in
New York and anglicised their name from Steinweg to Steinway.
A little later they opened a factory in Hamburg, Germany while the founders
eldest son who had remained in Germany formed Grotrian-Steinweg with a
partner in Braunschweig. One American piano writer claims that Steinways
made in Hamburg are superior to the ones made in NY. He was taken seriously
enough that Steinway, NY changed their working practices. But still that
writer says that despite having improved American Steinways are still
slightly inferior to Hamburg Steinways, Grotrian-Steinwegs, B�sendorfer and
Fazioli pianos.

Re: Quad 520f + Lockwood. The classic British sound

<tbdmli$30824$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1231&group=uk.rec.audio#1231

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 08:21:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Fri, 22 Jul 2022 08:21 UTC

On 22 Jul 2022 at 08:55:11 BST, "Brian Gaff" wrote:

> So this thread seems to have been going on for years, How peculiar.
> Another thing of course is that many electric pianos claim to sound like
> what every make of acoustic they decide on, but really they just sound like
> a sample of that piano which is always hthe same. The subtle difference each
> time are not reproduced.
> Brian

I was staying somewhere recently where one of the household is some sort of
child piano master. While there he was playing away - hugely impressive sound
and I thought it was some sort of grand piano in that part of the house (it
was actually a mezzanine above where we were). Amazed to see it was actually a
compact Yamaha electronic piano, looked a bit like a little upright - about a
grand's worth.

Not entirely what it goes to show, but it'd be safe to assume I'd not be too
bothered about where the Steinway was made :-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Quad 520f + Lockwood. The classic British sound

<tbgl47$3r50i$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1232&group=uk.rec.audio#1232

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.audio
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 12:13:06 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 23 Jul 2022 11:13 UTC

Probably depends where the samples were recorded. I noticed some ears ago,
that Denbies Vineyard in Dorking had a Yamaha piano, in white, but it also
was a player piano so when nobody was playing it a little box beside it
could play it instead, including moving the keys, or maybe it was Sparky?
Brian

--

--: