Duckies are fun!

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: How I became a Mac security researcher

SubjectAuthor
* How I became a Mac security researcherDavid G. Brooks
`* Re: How I became a Mac security researcherCommander Kinsey
 `* Re: How I became a Mac security researchernospam
  `* Re: How I became a Mac security researcherDavid G. Brooks
   `* Re: How I became a Mac security researchernospam
    `* Re: How I became a Mac security researcherWolfFan
     `* Re: How I became a Mac security researcherDavid G. Brooks
      `* Re: How I became a Mac security researcherWolfFan
       `* Re: How I became a Mac security researcherDavid G. Brooks
        `- Re: How I became a Mac security researcherWolfFan

1
How I became a Mac security researcher

<XCngL.1598068$Eeb3.219874@fx05.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12241&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12241

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@always.invalid (David G. Brooks)
Subject: How I became a Mac security researcher
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:27:35 +0000
 by: David G. Brooks - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 12:27 UTC

How I became a Mac security researcher

Over the years, I’ve been attacked and criticized many times over my
views on security. At times, it’s been completely justified, while other
times, it stems from not knowing the things that I know.

Thus, spurred on by events that are ultimately unimportant, for the
first time publicly, I’ve decided to tell the entire story of how I got
into security, how I ended up at an antivirus company, and how and why
my views have changed. This is the story of someone who went from a
rabid “Macs don’t get viruses” fanboy to a professional malware
researcher, and why exactly such a strange turn of events occurred. With
a smattering of stories about the history of Mac malware thrown in. 🙂

“Macs don’t get viruses”

In January of 2006, I joined Apple’s discussion forums, termed “Apple
Support Communities,” or ASC for short. Around this same time, I was
attempting a poorly-thought-out transition to teaching high school
science, which I would soon learn I was not cut out for. A few years
later, I failed at it and quit before I could finish paying off the debt
from getting my Master’s degree. My self-esteem was at an all-time low,
and I vented steam at people on the forums. It was not a time I’m
particularly proud of.

At that time, I firmly believed that the Mac’s malware problems from the
early days were a thing of the past. Before OS X, Apple’s “Classic”
system (as we call it now) had all manner of malware. In fact, the first
widespread computer virus – the Elk Cloner virus, which appeared in 1982
– actually affected the Apple II computer, a precursor of the Macintosh,
and not a PC running DOS or Windows.

Disinfectant logo
The early Macintosh was no stranger to threats, and antivirus software
was soon to be considered important. John Norstad’s Disinfectant,
introduced in 1989, was considered by many to be the best, though other
early pioneers in the antivirus industry were also offering some of the
first antivirus software on the Mac, such as McAfee’s VirusScan.

Working in the campus computer lab as a college student, I encountered
my first piece of malware, a virus known as WDEF, which spread from disk
to disk automatically, infecting any floppies inserted and spreading to
the next Mac that used it. (The virus infected the “desktop file”
present on every disk on the Classic Mac system.) Despite this, my
interest in malware would not truly start until nearly two decades later.

Once Apple transitioned to the Unix-based OS X, all the old malware was
suddenly obsolete. OS X was a drastically different system, viruses
written for Classic systems no longer worked. On ASC, I routinely told
people that Macs didn’t get viruses, thanks to my preconceived notions
and lack of knowledge to the contrary, and, frankly, acted like a bit of
a jackass.

Information tips the balance

At some point, someone – and I couldn’t tell you for the life of me who
it was, or precisely when this happened, at this point – challenged me
with some concrete information. I set out on a frenzy of research to
refute his (her?) arguments. But my determination to prove that I was
correct took a turn that would change my life: I learned that I was
actually wrong!

Needless to say, this was a humbling experience. More importantly,
though, I felt like I was glimpsing the periphery of a hidden world. I
decided I wanted to know more.

Over the next few years, I believe that I dug up information on every
piece of OS X malware that ever became publicly known. I knew the
symptoms, the dangers, and how to remove every obscure piece of malware
that nobody ever saw anymore. I started monitoring for and documenting
the emergence of every new piece of malware. In 2011, I created The Safe
Mac to serve as a repository for this knowledge and a way of educating
people about the potential dangers.

The Safe Mac logo
I was still, at that time, a bit negative on the benefits of antivirus
software. I was not nearly as rabid about it as I once was, of course,
as I realized that it could provide a valuable service to some people,
though I felt I personally did not need it, and that others who shared a
similarly technical mindset didn’t need it either.

Adware Removal Guide

I started noticing an increase in a particular kind of malware that
become known as adware, because its goal was to steal from advertisers,
search engines, and other affiliate programs in general. In 2013, I knew
I was onto something big when an adware company I had blogged about
threatened to sue me if I didn’t remove all content about them from my
website.

Genieo legal threat
Threat posted publicly in the comments on The Safe Mac
This was a particularly scary event, as this legal threat could
jeopardize my family’s financial future. I ended up refusing their
demands. They backed down, I breathed a sigh of relief, and I continued
with my (unpaid) work.

In hindsight, this outcome probably could have been predicted due to the
fact that Genieo rather amateurishly posted the threat publicly, for
anyone to read. Still, this was an eye-opening event that underscored to
me the idea that “adware is malware with a legal team.”

Since the adware problem had been on the rise, I was answering large
numbers of questions on ASC about adware removal. In late 2013, I
decided to create a set of pages on The Safe Mac that I called the
Adware Removal Guide. These pages provided information to help the user
figure out what adware they were infected with, and how to remove those
infections.

Heading into 2014, I had learned that people had great difficulty
following manual removal instructions. I do not mean to imply that they
were stupid, as some would uncharitably say; they were simply unsure of
themselves, or over-sure of themselves, or perhaps just not particularly
careful readers. Whatever the case, I went through many iterations of my
instructions, and through trial-and-error learned a lot about how to
write those instructions clearly.

Creation of TSMART

TSMART code
In an ironic twist, it was the actions of that same adware company I had
butted heads with that spurred me to try something different. Genieo’s
adware was installing files in such a way as to render the system
incapable of starting up if one file were removed without removing
another. Countless people ran afoul of this issue after failing to
follow my removal instructions to the letter, and some of them became
very irate with me over the issue, as if it were my fault.

This, coupled with a timely suggestion from someone (who, I can no
longer recall) that a shell script might be handy to automate removal,
sparked an idea. Soon, the abysmally named TSM Adware Removal Tool
(abbreviated TSMART) was born. This tool was written in AppleScript,
compiled into an application to make it easy to run, and it automated
removal of everything described in my removal instructions.

It wasn’t long before the adware makers escalated with techniques like
randomizing file names, making my script more difficult to maintain.
Every change required a complete update of the script, and although I
built functionality to alert the user when an update was available, it
just became too cumbersome.

I did a thing…

AdwareMedic logo
Thus was born the idea for AdwareMedic: an application that supported
flexible identification logic coded into rules, which could be updated
independently of the application itself. It certainly wasn’t my
intention to build an antivirus program – indeed, AdwareMedic was
specifically meant to target adware, not malware – but evolution
sometimes results in two different paths to the same end.

The first version of AdwareMedic was written in a very short time – a
weekend for the first prototype, and about a month for something that
could be released, if memory serves. It was done as a fun project that
could help some people. Next thing I knew, it had become a huge success.
I didn’t have a formal way to track its usage, but I firmly believe that
by early 2015 there were hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions, of
Macs running AdwareMedic. I began to hear that Apple Geniuses were
recommending it to people!

AdwareMedic became, I believe, the first real challenge to adware
companies on the Mac platform. So much so that I saw adware responding
and changing behaviors based on AdwareMedic detections. At one point,
one piece of adware, called VSearch (also known as Pirrit), began
fighting back by modifying the content of the AdwareMedic website when
viewed from an infected machine… in the initial stages, by redirecting
the Download button to the MacKeeper website.

I fought back, of course, with scripts designed to detect those
modifications and show the user information about how to combat the
issue. The VSearch folks escalated each time, eventually going so far as
to block access to the AdwareMedic site by replacing the site’s content
in the infected browser with a fake “server not found” page.

This behavior directly resulted in Apple adding rules for VSearch to the
XProtect antimalware feature in macOS.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: How I became a Mac security researcher

<op.1v9ecfw2mvhs6z@ryzen.home>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12246&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12246

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: How I became a Mac security researcher
From: CK1...@nospam.com (Commander Kinsey)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 21:08:29 -0000
 by: Commander Kinsey - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 21:08 UTC

<261120221642077753%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12250&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12250

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 16:42:07 -0500
 by: nospam - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 21:42 UTC

In article <op.1v9ecfw2mvhs6z@ryzen.home>, Commander Kinsey
<CK1@nospam.com> wrote:

> Oh but we all know Macs can't get viruses. That's one of their selling points
> to the &*^% that buy them!

it's never been a selling point.

what was a selling point is that macs have significantly less malware
than windows.

Re: How I became a Mac security researcher

<aIwgL.1615353$YC96.1211872@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12259&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12259

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@always.invalid (David G. Brooks)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:47:34 +0000
 by: David G. Brooks - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 22:47 UTC

On 26/11/2022 21:42, nospam wrote:
> In article <op.1v9ecfw2mvhs6z@ryzen.home>, Commander Kinsey
> <CK1@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>> Oh but we all know Macs can't get viruses. That's one of their selling points
>> to the &*^% that buy them!
>
> it's never been a selling point.

He was being facetious!

> what was a selling point is that macs have significantly less malware
> than windows.

Are you aware that Apple Support (by telephone) sometimes advocate the
use of Malwarebytes to scan Apple computers for malware?

How do you check YOUR Apple devices to ensure they are free from malware?

Re: How I became a Mac security researcher

<261120221805030555%nospam@nospam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12264&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12264

From: nos...@nospam.invalid (nospam)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2022 18:05:03 -0500
 by: nospam - Sat, 26 Nov 2022 23:05 UTC

In article <aIwgL.1615353$YC96.1211872@fx12.ams1>, David G. Brooks
<DavidB@always.invalid> wrote:

> >> Oh but we all know Macs can't get viruses. That's one of their selling
> >> points
> >> to the &*^% that buy them!
> >
> > it's never been a selling point.
>
> He was being facetious!

he was not.

this is a common (and false) claim of those who are ignorant about macs
and apple in general.

> > what was a selling point is that macs have significantly less malware
> > than windows.
>
> Are you aware that Apple Support (by telephone) sometimes advocate the
> use of Malwarebytes to scan Apple computers for malware?

so what?

> How do you check YOUR Apple devices to ensure they are free from malware?

what makes you think that's a desired goal?

Re: How I became a Mac security researcher

<0001HW.29339C1C0091C6277000090F738F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12276&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12276

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 08:22:36 -0500
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
 by: WolfFan - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 13:22 UTC

On Nov 26, 2022, nospam wrote
(in article<261120221805030555%nospam@nospam.invalid>):

> > > it's never been a selling point.
> >
> > He was being facetious!
>
> he was not.

Yep.

> this is a common (and false) claim of those who are ignorant about macs
> and apple in general.

Typically posted with comments about ‘Crapple’ and ’the Mac idiot
tax’.

> > > what was a selling point is that macs have significantly less malware
> > > than windows.
> >
> > Are you aware that Apple Support (by telephone) sometimes advocate the
> > use of Malwarebytes to scan Apple computers for malware?
>
> so what?

Our David lacks the sense that God gave a goose.

> > How do you check YOUR Apple devices to ensure they are free from malware?
>
> what makes you think that's a desired goal?

Our David only has one working neuron. He can’t think.

Re: How I became a Mac security researcher

<%9KgL.2607712$%q2.119780@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12278&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12278

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@always.invalid (David G. Brooks)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 14:06:51 +0000
 by: David G. Brooks - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 14:06 UTC

On 27/11/2022 13:22, WolfFan wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2022, nospam wrote
> (in article<261120221805030555%nospam@nospam.invalid>):

>>> He was being facetious!
>>
>> he was not.
>
> Yep.
>>

>> this is a common (and false) claim of those who are ignorant about macs
>> and apple in general.
>
> Typically posted with comments about ‘Crapple’ and ’the Mac idiot
> tax’.

>>> Are you aware that Apple Support (by telephone) sometimes advocate the
>>> use of Malwarebytes to scan Apple computers for malware?
>>
>> so what?
>
> Our David lacks the sense that God gave a goose.
>>

>>> How do you check YOUR Apple devices to ensure they are free from malware?
>>
>> what makes you think that's a desired goal?
>
> Our David only has one working neuron. He can’t think.

Can YOU locate THIS post on the ASC forums?

https://jmp.sh/oXTukoC7

--
David

Re: How I became a Mac security researcher

<0001HW.2933AB9A009567A47000090F738F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12279&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12279

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 09:28:42 -0500
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
 by: WolfFan - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 14:28 UTC

On Nov 27, 2022, David G. Brooks wrote
(in article <%9KgL.2607712$%q2.119780@fx15.ams1>):

> On 27/11/2022 13:22, WolfFan wrote:
> > On Nov 26, 2022, nospam wrote
> > (in article<261120221805030555%nospam@nospam.invalid>):

> > > he was not.
> >
> > Yep.
> > >

> > > this is a common (and false) claim of those who are ignorant about macs
> > > and apple in general.
> >
> > Typically posted with comments about ‘Crapple’ and ’the Mac idiot
> > tax’.

> > > so what?
> >
> > Our David lacks the sense that God gave a goose.

> > > what makes you think that's a desired goal?
> >
> > Our David only has one working neuron. He can’t think.
>
> Can YOU locate THIS post on the ASC forums?
>
> https://jmp.sh/oXTukoC7

Vile one, I don’t click on your links. I especially don’t click on your
deliberately obfuscated links. You know this. You know why. You’re scum.

Re: How I became a Mac security researcher

<liLgL.1616731$YC96.630061@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12281&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12281

Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@always.invalid (David G. Brooks)
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 15:24:01 +0000
 by: David G. Brooks - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 15:24 UTC

On 27/11/2022 14:28, WolfFan wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2022, David G. Brooks wrote
> (in article <%9KgL.2607712$%q2.119780@fx15.ams1>):
>
>> On 27/11/2022 13:22, WolfFan wrote:
>>> On Nov 26, 2022, nospam wrote
>>> (in article<261120221805030555%nospam@nospam.invalid>):

>>> Yep.

>>> Typically posted with comments about ‘Crapple’ and ’the Mac idiot
>>> tax’.

>>> Our David lacks the sense that God gave a goose.

>>> Our David only has one working neuron. He can’t think.
>>
>> Can YOU locate THIS post on the ASC forums?
>>
>> https://jmp.sh/oXTukoC7
>
> Vile one, I don’t click on your links. I especially don’t click on your
> deliberately obfuscated links. You know this. You know why. You’re scum.

Kurt Lang has replied to my question. You can view the full discussion
in Communities.

*Seeking help for my friend. Can anyone assist, please*?

//Signing in here with a user's iCloud account (Apple ID) is how most
people do it. So it's very highly unlikely that was the reason for the ban.

But no, there's no security risk to simply create a new forum account. A
login ID can be any verifiable email account you want. Yahoo, Google,
you name it. Just make sure to use a good password and turn on two
factor ID.//

=

I've still got an email message if you'd like to see it.

--
David

Re: How I became a Mac security researcher

<0001HW.2933E41800A2A50370000201338F@news.supernews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12286&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12286

Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 13:29:44 -0500
From: akwolf...@zoho.com (WolfFan)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
 by: WolfFan - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 18:29 UTC

On Nov 27, 2022, David G. Brooks wrote
(in article <liLgL.1616731$YC96.630061@fx12.ams1>):

> On 27/11/2022 14:28, WolfFan wrote:
> > On Nov 27, 2022, David G. Brooks wrote
> > (in article <%9KgL.2607712$%q2.119780@fx15.ams1>):

> > > Can YOU locate THIS post on the ASC forums?
> > >
> > > https://jmp.sh/oXTukoC7
> >
> > Vile one, I don’t click on your links. I especially don’t click on your
> > deliberately obfuscated links. You know this. You know why. You’re scum.
>
> Kurt Lang has replied to my question. You can view the full discussion
> in Communities.

I don’t care what lies you perpetuated elsewhere.

> *Seeking help for my friend. Can anyone assist, please*?
>
> //Signing in here with a user's iCloud account (Apple ID) is how most
> people do it. So it's very highly unlikely that was the reason for the ban.
>
> But no, there's no security risk to simply create a new forum account. A
> login ID can be any verifiable email account you want. Yahoo, Google,
> you name it. Just make sure to use a good password and turn on two
> factor ID.//
>
> =
>
> I've still got an email message if you'd like to see it.

The vile one is, again, offering to _publicly_ share to _uninvolved 3rd
parties_ a _private_ email, and sees nothing wrong with doing that. Possibly
because he’s vile, and not very smart.