This login session: $13.76, but for you $11.88.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Politics in Pakistan

SubjectAuthor
* Politics in PakistanMike Ruddock
+* Re: Politics in PakistanNick Odell
|`- Re: Politics in PakistanJohn Ashby
+- Re: Politics in PakistanSid Nuncius
`* Re: Politics in Pakistansteve hague
 `* Re: Politics in PakistanNick Odell
  `* Re: Politics in Pakistansteve hague
   `* Re: Politics in PakistanNick Odell
    `- Re: Politics in Pakistansteve hague

1
Politics in Pakistan

<jsiaocFauvoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12319&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12319

From: ruddock...@btinternet.com (Mike Ruddock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Politics in Pakistan
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 17:06:26 +0000
 by: Mike Ruddock - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 17:06 UTC

Not quite cricket, what?

Mike Ruddock

Re: Politics in Pakistan

<lju7mht3k2dt2vns5pgjudg5frqrirk6fn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12321&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12321

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Politics in Pakistan
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2022 17:29:41 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 17:29 UTC

On Thu, 3 Nov 2022 17:06:26 +0000, Mike Ruddock
<ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Not quite cricket, what?

BTN!

Nick

Re: Politics in Pakistan

<tk0uig$1gm9f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12322&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12322

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 17:42:40 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 17:42 UTC

On 03/11/2022 17:29, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2022 17:06:26 +0000, Mike Ruddock
> <ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Not quite cricket, what?
>>
> BTN!

Reluctantly approved.

Reluctantly because I've been sitting on my hands on a comment along the
lines of "At least British politicians can be relied on to shoot
*themselves" in the foot.", but of course I wouldn't be so crass as to
post tha... Oops.

john

Re: Politics in Pakistan

<jsiga8Fbrm7U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12324&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12324

From: nunc...@hotmail.co.uk (Sid Nuncius)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 18:41:08 +0000
 by: Sid Nuncius - Thu, 3 Nov 2022 18:41 UTC

On 03/11/2022 17:06, Mike Ruddock wrote:
> Not quite cricket, what?

Well, the damn' silly feller didn't even have his pads on. Askin' for
trouble.

--
Sid

Re: Politics in Pakistan

<tk2j64$j69$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12327&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12327

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 08:40:36 +0000
 by: steve hague - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 08:40 UTC

On 03/11/2022 17:06, Mike Ruddock wrote:
> Not quite cricket, what?
>
> Mike Ruddock

I'm surprised Imran Khan wasn't shot earlier, it's not unknown for
Pakistani prime ministers to leave office in a box, or indeed, several
boxes. Imran entered politics with the main aim of fighting corruption,
which he saw as the major problem in Pakistan. I think he made mistakes
as PM, but I like the man, and I'm glad the assasination attempt failed.
And of course he was a very fine cricketer.
Steve

Re: Politics in Pakistan

<ftn9mhpqlpseonl8dg1ipf2tdbb460tncb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12330&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12330

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2022 10:05:59 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 10:05 UTC

On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 08:40:36 +0000, steve hague
<stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 03/11/2022 17:06, Mike Ruddock wrote:
>> Not quite cricket, what?
>>
>> Mike Ruddock
>
>I'm surprised Imran Khan wasn't shot earlier, it's not unknown for
>Pakistani prime ministers to leave office in a box, or indeed, several
>boxes. Imran entered politics with the main aim of fighting corruption,
>which he saw as the major problem in Pakistan. I think he made mistakes
>as PM, but I like the man, and I'm glad the assasination attempt failed.
>And of course he was a very fine cricketer.

I really know nothing about Khan other than that he was a very fine
cricketer and brought an enormous amount to the game but, in the part
of the world with which I am familiar, "fighting corruption" generally
means fighting their kind of corruption in favour of our kind. I have
only ever met one president[1] who I would say was not in the least
financially corrupt and that so unnerved his opponents that they dug
up other events from his past, turned them into skeletons in his
closet and he was deposed in a soft coup before his term concluded.

Nick

[1]Met, as in, introduced by a mutual friend[2]
[2]Truth is, I've only ever met the one president[3]
[3]And to be even more truthful, although he went on to win, he was
only a presidential candidate at the time[4]
[4]So I've never really met a president

Re: Politics in Pakistan

<tk307v$d8k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12334&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12334

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 12:23:27 +0000
 by: steve hague - Fri, 4 Nov 2022 12:23 UTC

>> I'm surprised Imran Khan wasn't shot earlier, it's not unknown for
>> Pakistani prime ministers to leave office in a box, or indeed, several
>> boxes. Imran entered politics with the main aim of fighting corruption,
>> which he saw as the major problem in Pakistan. I think he made mistakes
>> as PM, but I like the man, and I'm glad the assasination attempt failed.
>> And of course he was a very fine cricketer.
>
> I really know nothing about Khan other than that he was a very fine
> cricketer and brought an enormous amount to the game but, in the part
> of the world with which I am familiar, "fighting corruption" generally
> means fighting their kind of corruption in favour of our kind. I have
> only ever met one president[1] who I would say was not in the least
> financially corrupt and that so unnerved his opponents that they dug
> up other events from his past, turned them into skeletons in his
> closet and he was deposed in a soft coup before his term concluded.
>
> Nick
>

> [1]Met, as in, introduced by a mutual friend[2]
> [2]Truth is, I've only ever met the one president[3]
> [3]And to be even more truthful, although he went on to win, he was
> only a presidential candidate at the time[4]
> [4]So I've never really met a president

I'm tantalised. Is it the president of a nation or of the local bowls
club you've never met?

Re: Politics in Pakistan

<9bshmhl723mk5ei0no68drdn1nr2f4q47o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12360&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12360

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 11:54:46 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 11:54 UTC

On Fri, 4 Nov 2022 12:23:27 +0000, steve hague
<stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm surprised Imran Khan wasn't shot earlier, it's not unknown for
>>> Pakistani prime ministers to leave office in a box, or indeed, several
>>> boxes. Imran entered politics with the main aim of fighting corruption,
>>> which he saw as the major problem in Pakistan. I think he made mistakes
>>> as PM, but I like the man, and I'm glad the assasination attempt failed.
>>> And of course he was a very fine cricketer.
>>
>> I really know nothing about Khan other than that he was a very fine
>> cricketer and brought an enormous amount to the game but, in the part
>> of the world with which I am familiar, "fighting corruption" generally
>> means fighting their kind of corruption in favour of our kind. I have
>> only ever met one president[1] who I would say was not in the least
>> financially corrupt and that so unnerved his opponents that they dug
>> up other events from his past, turned them into skeletons in his
>> closet and he was deposed in a soft coup before his term concluded.
>>
>> Nick
>>

>> [1]Met, as in, introduced by a mutual friend[2]
>> [2]Truth is, I've only ever met the one president[3]
>> [3]And to be even more truthful, although he went on to win, he was
>> only a presidential candidate at the time[4]
>> [4]So I've never really met a president
>>
>I'm tantalised. Is it the president of a nation or of the local bowls
>club you've never met?

The as-was-not-yet President of one of the nations which borders my
present location.

Sorry about the delay in replying: I was in Dear Old Blighty when you
wrote that but I'm back here in Argentina for a while.

Nick

Re: Politics in Pakistan

<tkbcps$1l0t$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12363&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12363

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2022 16:46:51 +0000
 by: steve hague - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 16:46 UTC

On 07/11/2022 11:54, Nick Odell wrote:

>>> I really know nothing about Khan other than that he was a very fine
>>> cricketer and brought an enormous amount to the game but, in the part
>>> of the world with which I am familiar, "fighting corruption" generally
>>> means fighting their kind of corruption in favour of our kind. I have
>>> only ever met one president[1] who I would say was not in the least
>>> financially corrupt and that so unnerved his opponents that they dug
>>> up other events from his past, turned them into skeletons in his
>>> closet and he was deposed in a soft coup before his term concluded.
>>>
>>> Nick
>>>

>>> [1]Met, as in, introduced by a mutual friend[2]
>>> [2]Truth is, I've only ever met the one president[3]
>>> [3]And to be even more truthful, although he went on to win, he was
>>> only a presidential candidate at the time[4]
>>> [4]So I've never really met a president
>>>
>> I'm tantalised. Is it the president of a nation or of the local bowls
>> club you've never met?
>
> The as-was-not-yet President of one of the nations which borders my
> present location.
>
> Sorry about the delay in replying: I was in Dear Old Blighty when you
> wrote that but I'm back here in Argentina for a while.
>
> Nick

I can't say I'm any any more enlightened.