From: inva...@nomail.com (Martin-S)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Saving iCloud photos/videos
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 00:29:56 +0100
 by: Martin-S - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 23:29 UTC

As the amount of stuff in my Photos Library is constantly growing I set
my Photos app to 'Optimise Mac Storage' instead of keeping all
originals. Now I want to save the majority of videos to a local drive
for further editing and afterwards delete them from the Photos Library
to free up space.

Obviously I want to save the full-size originals rather than the
'optimised' local versions.

I was under the impression that…

File > Export > Export Unmodified Originals For xyz Videos

…would do that despite whether they had been downladed as originals or
optimised versions prior to export.

Correct?

--
Martin

Re: Saving iCloud photos/videos

<juibhuF72mcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12296&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12296

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: Re: Saving iCloud photos/videos
Date: 27 Nov 2022 23:52:31 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Sun, 27 Nov 2022 23:52 UTC

On 27 Nov 2022 at 23:29:56 GMT, "Martin-S" <invalid@nomail.com> wrote:

> As the amount of stuff in my Photos Library is constantly growing I set
> my Photos app to 'Optimise Mac Storage' instead of keeping all
> originals. Now I want to save the majority of videos to a local drive
> for further editing and afterwards delete them from the Photos Library
> to free up space.
>
> Obviously I want to save the full-size originals rather than the
> 'optimised' local versions.
>
> I was under the impression that…
>
> File > Export > Export Unmodified Originals For xyz Videos
>
> …would do that despite whether they had been downladed as originals or
> optimised versions prior to export.
>
> Correct?

Correct. It'll download the full version from iCloud Photo Library
before exporting.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Communicating badly and then acting smug when
you're misunderstood is not cleverness.

Re: Saving iCloud photos/videos

<juk2knFf3ieU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12337&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#12337

From: inva...@nomail.com (Martin-S)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 16:32:39 +0100
 by: Martin-S - Mon, 28 Nov 2022 15:32 UTC

On 2022-11-27 23:52:31 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh said:

> On 27 Nov 2022 at 23:29:56 GMT, "Martin-S" <invalid@nomail.com> wrote:
>
>> As the amount of stuff in my Photos Library is constantly growing I set
>> my Photos app to 'Optimise Mac Storage' instead of keeping all
>> originals. Now I want to save the majority of videos to a local drive
>> for further editing and afterwards delete them from the Photos Library
>> to free up space.
>>
>> Obviously I want to save the full-size originals rather than the
>> 'optimised' local versions.
>>
>> I was under the impression that…
>>
>> File > Export > Export Unmodified Originals For xyz Videos
>>
>> …would do that despite whether they had been downladed as originals or
>> optimised versions prior to export.
>>
>> Correct?
>
> Correct. It'll download the full version from iCloud Photo Library
> before exporting.

Excellent, thanks for the confirmation!

--
Martin