From: jmd...@nelefa.org (John Dow)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Play Want Bin Where The Fuck Is KKC? (PWBE 23 Aug 2022)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 14:07:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Dow - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 14:07 UTC

Well, I dunno if KKC has been struck down by the heat, but I
got fed up waiting for him, so here goes.

PLAY:

Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak (PC): it's slightly annoying that
it doesn't play nicely with an xbox controller connected by
bluetooth (under Linux, I should say), so it means I have to
have a long dangly USB cable connected. Everything else is fine
with bluetooth, just MHRS. That grumble aside, though, I'm
ploughing through it as expected - I switched from the Switch
at the end of High Rank (as I had a preorder for Sunbreak on PC
and I'm over buying everything twice) so basically had to start
from scratch. I'll admit to cheesing my way through low and high
with defender gear. Master Rank is pretty good. Everything hits
as hard as you'd expect. This is my first MH game where I'm
doing the whole thing ranged - Light Bowgun to be precise.

Clicker Heroes (iPhone): okay, it's not really a game. Not in the
way Vostock Inc. is (despite being pretty much the same thing)
but I do occasionally like to sit and look at it and mindlessly
tap things. I feel I am approaching my dotage.

WANT:

Nothing. Ennui reigns supreme. I still haven't recovered from Elite
Dangerous becoming shit. I have many things that I really want
to play (and already own) but meeeeehh.

BIN:

Ennui. It's neither big nor clever.

EXPENSE:

Look, I'm STILL not doing this, 'kay?

John Dow <jmd@nelefa.org.invalid>
... Blog & Game Diary : http://www.nelefa.org
/|\ Constructed using SLRN and Vi.
/ | \ Zomoniac is Wrong. Fact.

Re: Play Want Bin Where The Fuck Is KKC? (PWBE 23 Aug 2022)

<hy9NK.1883552$yKw9.979719@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1232&group=uk.games.video.misc#1232

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 19:05:49 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 19:05 UTC

John Dow <jmd@nelefa.org> wrote:

> PLAY:

Minetest (Linux) - a bit of this again.

CP/M Rogue (ZCN) - carrying on my go from before. As neat as this
version is, it's hard not to wish it was more like Nethack.

zcsoli (ZCN) - wild and exciting card game action. Even if I do feel a
bit "write the theme tune, sing the theme tune" playing it this way.

> WANT:

To go back to playing something with more than just a bunch of
voxels/characters onscreen, probably.

> BIN:

Nothing.

-Rus.

Re: Play Want Bin Where The Fuck Is KKC? (PWBE 23 Aug 2022)

<2KmcnUKzHY4ExZj-nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1233&group=uk.games.video.misc#1233

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 22:45:45 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Tue, 23 Aug 2022 22:45 UTC

In article <slrntg9npq.cbte.jmd@achilles.bio.ed.ac.uk>,
John Dow <jmd@nelefa.org> wrote:
>Well, I dunno if KKC has been struck down by the heat, but I
>got fed up waiting for him, so here goes.

I've had lots of home repair drama that's too boring to repeat here.
Also I didn't really want to post podcast spoilers. So briefly:

>PLAY:

Monster Bass (PSX) - Bought a new copy for $12. Picture, if you will, a
pretty bog standard fishing simulation. Except you're using live bait
that's large arachnids and mammals because the fish you have to catch
are mutated zombie bass that must be recaptured lest they displace all
other species and ruin the world. This is a mash-up I didn't expect to
enjoy, although the game is a big mess.

>BIN:
>
>Ennui. It's neither big nor clever.

I'm sort of there with you, except that all my game systems are
unplugged from the mains while I sort through my electrical issues.
Nothing like having your games withheld from you to make you love them
more.

>EXPENSE:

I can't be bothered this week because I haven't counted it up. I'll
catch up next week.

-KKC, who can't take any more surprises this month, thank you.

Re: Play Want Bin Where The Fuck Is KKC? (PWBE 23 Aug 2022)

<slrntgeb1h.216n7.jmd@achilles.bio.ed.ac.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1234&group=uk.games.video.misc#1234

From: jmd...@nelefa.org (John Dow)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 08:00:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Dow - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 08:00 UTC

On 2022-08-23, Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> I'm sort of there with you, except that all my game systems are
> unplugged from the mains while I sort through my electrical issues.
> Nothing like having your games withheld from you to make you love them
> more.

Dunno how things over on your side of the pond, but unplugging everything
possible seems like a decent survival strategy over here right now!

John Dow <jmd@nelefa.org.invalid>
... Blog & Game Diary : http://www.nelefa.org
/|\ Constructed using SLRN and Vi.
/ | \ Zomoniac is Wrong. Fact.

Re: Play Want Bin Where The Fuck Is KKC? (PWBE 23 Aug 2022)

<e4ucnX481ckLNpr-nZ2dnZfqn_vNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1235&group=uk.games.video.misc#1235

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2022 17:04:22 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Thu, 25 Aug 2022 17:04 UTC

In article <slrntgeb1h.216n7.jmd@achilles.bio.ed.ac.uk>,
John Dow <jmd@nelefa.org> wrote:
>On 2022-08-23, Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:
>>
>> I'm sort of there with you, except that all my game systems are
>> unplugged from the mains while I sort through my electrical issues.
>> Nothing like having your games withheld from you to make you love them
>> more.
>
>Dunno how things over on your side of the pond, but unplugging everything
>possible seems like a decent survival strategy over here right now!

I was thinking you were talking about the heat, but you mean the rising
energy costs which are threatening to drain all the pocketbooks of all
the regular people in the UK, which is maddening. Energy prices aren't
such an issue in the States (yet) but there's no telling how much of
that is luck or how long said luck will hold out.

One of my issues is that I've been using the same middling-to-high spec
surge protectors for about ten years now, and I didn't really understand
that those don't last forever. Having a bunch of them faill all at once
revealed some other weaknesses in my house wiring that I'm struggling to
address because there's all kinds of crap pressed up against the walls
and no easy to to get to all the wall sockets. By my front door there's
a pile of the power strips that I'm tempted to just chuck in the bin
because I don't have an easy or expedient way to dispose of them
otherwise.

It did occur to me to have a stoop sale (or more properly a yard sale in
this backward part of the States) and try to fob them off for a buck a
piece to the redneck cheapskates whoo frequent those events, but that
would be irresponsible and dangerous. And I wouldn't be around to point
or laugh when their houses catch fire.

-KKC, who needs a bottle of bourbon for this weekend. Maybe two.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Re: Play Want Bin Where The Fuck Is KKC? (PWBE 23 Aug 2022)