A grammarian's life is always in tense.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

SubjectAuthor
* Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving afterswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving afterJNugent
+* Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving afterswldx...@gmail.com
|`- someone caught telling porkies againSpike
+* Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving afterTMS320
> [...]
| `* Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of carelessSpike
|  `- Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving afterJNugent
+- Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving afterswldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving afterswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of carelessSpike
+* Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving afterswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of carelessSpike
+* Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving afterswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of carelessSpike
+* Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving afterswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of carelessSpike

Pages:1234567
Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<49f36557-b6c8-46e2-9503-386137ff528an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12386&group=uk.rec.cycling#12386

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2022 11:39:42 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after
death of Sakine Cihan
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 6 Aug 2022 18:39 UTC

Electric bicycle rider Thomas Hanlon has been cleared of killing a pedestrian in Dalston by careless driving.

Thomas Hanlon, 32, stood trial at the Old Bailey, accused of causing the death of Sakine Cihan on August 28 2018, as she crossed the A10 in Kingsland High Street.

Sakine, 56, died in hospital the next day as a result of a "catastrophic" head injury, in what is believed to be the first death of a pedestrian after a collision with an e-bike in the UK.

The lights at the crossing were green for traffic but the prosecution alleged the speed Hanlon was travelling at amounted to driving without due care and attention.

On his approach to the collision he was estimated to have been travelling at 27mph on a road that was limited to 20.

In law e-bikes fitted with an electric motor can only be driven without a licence or insurance if their power is limited, and the motor automatically switches off at speeds above 15.5mph.

Mr Hanlon did not give during the four-day trial but summing up this morning, his barrister Clare Howell told jurors at the Old Bailey that even if Mr Hanlon hadn't been breaking the speed limit, he wouldn't have had time to stop before Ms Cihan walked in front of him anyway.

"This is a case about something that happened within the time a careful and competent driver may not even have reacted at all," said Ms Howell.

"It's something that happened within 1.4 seconds.

"We know that in this case his reactions were quicker than careful and considerate drivers to react to her stepping out, which suggests he was keeping a very good look out.

"We know it was all over before a careful and competent driver may have even reacted, because she stepped out in front of him, and she didn't just step out. She ran out."

Ms Howell added: "Has the prosecution produced any evidence to show you if he'd been travelling at 20mph and braked, that would have meant a lesser chance of death? No. They haven't done that and it's not really possible to do that because we are still in this two second period. "The prosecution are inviting you to dance on the head of a pin here, and we would respectfully invite you to say this is far short of a case where you have evidence to reassure you that he was careless, and that anything he did contributed to what was a very sad accident."

Ms Howell also addressed the fact that Mr Hanlon left the scene, leading to a police appeal at the time to trace him.

"You may think that wasn't a very nice thing to do, and you may think it was a bad thing to do but you know he was concussed and that would make him confused and wanting to go to his mum's house and go to sleep," she said.

"You know Mr Hanlon answered all the police questions in an interview, and what more could he say. You also read the interview that caused his distress, that caused his solicitor to ask whether he could continue in an interview."

Jurors retired to deliberate on the trial just after lunch today and returned within just over an hour to acquit him of causing death by dangerous driving and driving without a licence and without insurance.

https://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/crime/cyclist-acquitted-of-careless-driving-after-death-of-sakine-cihan-3652146

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<jl7rtcFbe51U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12388&group=uk.rec.cycling#12388

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
death of Sakine Cihan
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2022 19:57:48 +0100
 by: JNugent - Sat, 6 Aug 2022 18:57 UTC

> [...]
> Ms Howell also addressed the fact that Mr Hanlon left the scene, leading to a police appeal at the time to trace him.
> "You may think that wasn't a very nice thing to do, and you may think it was a bad thing to do but you know he was concussed and that would make him confused and wanting to go to his mum's house and go to sleep," she said.
> "You know Mr Hanlon answered all the police questions in an interview, and what more could he say. You also read the interview that caused his distress, that caused his solicitor to ask whether he could continue in an interview."
> Jurors retired to deliberate on the trial just after lunch today and returned within just over an hour to acquit him of causing death by dangerous driving and driving without a licence and without insurance.

He scarpered because he was "concussed"... "tired [needing to
sleep]"...confused"... "distressed"... eh?

The poor lamb.

Either he was driving without a licence and without insurance or he wasn't.

Was he driving?

Obviously, he was.

Did he have a licence?

Obviously, he did not (otherwise why initiate the prosecution for that
offence?).

Did he have insurance?

Obviously, he did not (otherwise why initiate the prosecution for that
offence?).

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<6a382ed7-bbf5-4c6d-adaf-1ceef6be1caan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12390&group=uk.rec.cycling#12390

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2022 12:02:58 -0700 (PDT)
death of Sakine Cihan
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 6 Aug 2022 19:02 UTC

QUOTE: Thomas Hanlon, 32, stood trial at the Old Bailey, accused of causing the death of Sakine Cihan on August 28 2018, as she crossed the A10 in Kingsland High Street. ENDS

What on Earth was she thinking crossing the A10? Did she not realise that the A10 is a high speed dual carriageway with many speeding motor vehicles using it? Not safe for pedestrian "traffic" at all.

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<tctk6c$1curt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12452&group=uk.rec.cycling#12452

From: dr6...@gmail.com (TMS320)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
death of Sakine Cihan
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 13:33:16 +0100
 by: TMS320 - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 12:33 UTC

On 06/08/2022 19:39, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

> On his approach to the collision he was estimated to have been
> travelling at 27mph on a road that was limited to 20.

27mph is a motorbike. One of Spike's chums.

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<jlffamFhtqkU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12468&group=uk.rec.cycling#12468

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
death of Sakine Cihan
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 17:12:06 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 16:12 UTC

On 09/08/2022 01:33 pm, TMS320 wrote:

> On 06/08/2022 19:39, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On his approach to the collision he was estimated to have been
>> travelling at 27mph on a road that was limited to 20.
>
> 27mph is a motorbike. One of Spike's chums.

Fairy-cyclists here often boast of exceeding the speed limit.

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<acbde2e2-34e7-4939-8373-9c0a42f7fb0dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12469&group=uk.rec.cycling#12469

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 09:13:58 -0700 (PDT)
death of Sakine Cihan
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 16:13 UTC

QUOTE: Jurors retired to deliberate on the trial just after lunch today and returned within just over an hour to acquit him of causing death by dangerous driving and driving without a licence and without insurance. ENDS

Of course, the jury heard all of the evidence.

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<jlfga1Fi50aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12475&group=uk.rec.cycling#12475

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless
driving after death of Sakine Cihan
Date: 9 Aug 2022 16:28:49 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 16:28 UTC

JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 09/08/2022 01:33 pm, TMS320 wrote:

>> On 06/08/2022 19:39, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> On his approach to the collision he was estimated to have been
>>> travelling at 27mph on a road that was limited to 20.

>> 27mph is a motorbike. One of Spike's chums.
> Fairy-cyclists here often boast of exceeding the speed limit.
There was a recent admission by a cyclist and quoted on the group that said
something very close
to “I don’t like being passed in a 20 even if I’m doing over 20 myself”.

It’s time that laws were enforced on cyclists in the interim to them being
upgraded.

--
Spike

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<04d1b27c-4356-4a0b-a534-a8124e460084n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12478&group=uk.rec.cycling#12478

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 09:32:11 -0700 (PDT)
death of Sakine Cihan
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 16:32 UTC

On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 5:13:59 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: Jurors retired to deliberate on the trial just after lunch today and returned within just over an hour to acquit him of causing death by dangerous driving and driving without a licence and without insurance. ENDS
>
> Of course, the jury heard all of the evidence.

They would have been directed by the judge as well.

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<tculck$1gdks$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12492&group=uk.rec.cycling#12492

From: dr6...@gmail.com (TMS320)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
death of Sakine Cihan
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 22:59:47 +0100
 by: TMS320 - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 21:59 UTC

On 09/08/2022 17:28, Spike wrote:

>>> 27mph is a motorbike. One of Spike's chums.
>
> There was a recent admission by a cyclist and quoted on the group
> that said something very close to “I don’t like being passed in a 20
> even if I’m doing over 20 myself”.

What has a death caused by a motorcyclist got to with cycling?

> It’s time that laws were enforced on cyclists in the interim to them
> being upgraded.

The 20 limit outside my house is not enforced on anybody. As most areas
do not enforce their 20 limits. The local council has stated that their
aim is get the 80 percentile to 28mph.

I don't routinely carry a speedometer but I once checked my speed down
the slope to my house to 24mph. If you want cyclists to stay below 20mph
when it's a free for all for everybody else, go and boil your head.

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<tcum72$1ghok$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12493&group=uk.rec.cycling#12493

From: dr6...@gmail.com (TMS320)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
death of Sakine Cihan
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 23:13:53 +0100
 by: TMS320 - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 22:13 UTC

On 09/08/2022 17:32, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 5:13:59 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>> QUOTE: Jurors retired to deliberate on the trial just after lunch
>> today and returned within just over an hour to acquit him of
>> causing death by dangerous driving and driving without a licence
>> and without insurance. ENDS

I notice this happened 4 years ago. Has the case really taken this long?

>> Of course, the jury heard all of the evidence.
>
> They would have been directed by the judge as well.

Well, Nugent and Spike must be terribly disappointed that a killer
"cyclist" that was actually a motorcyclist received to same treatment
that killer drivers routinely receive.

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<231f9242-393b-4ca7-bd8a-41882e4034f3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12494&group=uk.rec.cycling#12494

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 23:17:48 -0700 (PDT)
death of Sakine Cihan
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 06:17 UTC

On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 10:59:50 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
> I don't routinely carry a speedometer but I once checked my speed down
> the slope to my house to 24mph. If you want cyclists to stay below 20mph
> when it's a free for all for everybody else, go and boil your head.

Speed limits do not apply to cyclists so you can ride as fast as you want with impunity

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<jlh23kFpir3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12495&group=uk.rec.cycling#12495

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
driving after death of Sakine Cihan
Date: 10 Aug 2022 06:38:44 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 06:38 UTC

> On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 10:59:50 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

>> I don't routinely carry a speedometer but I once checked my speed down
>> the slope to my house to 24mph. If you want cyclists to stay below 20mph
>> when it's a free for all for everybody else, go and boil your head.

> Speed limits do not apply to cyclists so you can ride as fast as you want with impunity

…with the slight exception of ‘wanton and furious cycling’ - which is a
relative condition rather than a mandated one, so can be applied anywhere…

--
Spike

someone caught telling porkies again

<jlh8nbFqjnmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12496&group=uk.rec.cycling#12496

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: someone caught telling porkies again
Date: 10 Aug 2022 08:31:39 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 08:31 UTC

> QUOTE: Thomas Hanlon, 32, stood trial at the Old Bailey, accused of
> causing the death of Sakine Cihan on August 28 2018, as she crossed the
> A10 in Kingsland High Street. ENDS

> What on Earth was she thinking crossing the A10? Did she not realise that
> the A10 is a high speed dual carriageway with many speeding motor
> vehicles using it? Not safe for pedestrian "traffic" at all.

As you will see from the photograph in the news report, the A10 at that
point is not a ‘…a high speed dual carriageway with many speeding motorists
using it’.

It is a single lane each way with a 20mph speed limit.

Why do you lie about these things?

--
Spike

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<jlhbssFr3i5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12497&group=uk.rec.cycling#12497

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
death of Sakine Cihan
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 10:25:48 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 09:25 UTC

On 09/08/2022 10:59 pm, TMS320 wrote:

>> There was a recent admission by a cyclist and quoted on the group that
>> said something very close to “I don’t like being passed in a 20 even
>> if I’m doing over 20 myself”.
>
> What has a death caused by a motorcyclist got to with cycling?

That very much strikes one as a question for the OP, a chap by the name
of Mason.

*But* from memory, the quoted story does not mention the words
"motorcycle" or "motorcyclist". Mason uses the phrase "e-bike". And the
fact that the killer-cyclist was apparently acquitted of not having a
driving licence or insurance indicates that right or wrong, the court
saw the vehicle as a fairy-cycle rather than a proper vehicle, doesn't it?

>> It’s time that laws were enforced on cyclists in the interim to them
>> being upgraded.
>
> The 20 limit outside my house is not enforced on anybody. As most areas
> do not enforce their 20 limits. The local council has stated that their
> aim is get the 80 percentile to 28mph.

Would it be a defence at the Mags' to quote that?

> I don't routinely carry a speedometer but I once checked my speed down
> the slope to my house to 24mph. If you want cyclists to stay below 20mph
> when it's a free for all for everybody else, go and boil your head.

Charming.

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<jlhc4rFr573U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12498&group=uk.rec.cycling#12498

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
death of Sakine Cihan
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 10:30:02 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 09:30 UTC

On 09/08/2022 11:13 pm, TMS320 wrote:

> On 09/08/2022 17:32, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 5:13:59 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>>> QUOTE: Jurors retired to deliberate on the trial just after lunch
>>> today and returned within just over an hour to acquit him of causing
>>> death by dangerous driving and driving without a licence and without
>>> insurance. ENDS
>
> I notice this happened 4 years ago. Has the case really taken this long?
>
>>> Of course, the jury heard all of the evidence.
>
>> They would have been directed by the judge as well.
>
> Well, Nugent and Spike must be terribly disappointed that a killer
> "cyclist" that was actually a motorcyclist received to same treatment
> that killer drivers routinely receive.

The court cannot have agreed with that, because they decided that the
killer-cyclist could not be convicted for having no licence and no
insurance. He would *have* to have had those if the bike were a
motorcycle. The fact that he was not convicted points squarely to it
being a fairy-cycle and his being a fairy-cyclist. A killer
fairy-cyclist, of course.

Even the feet of a 49cc moped rider would not have touched the ground in
such circumstances (no licence, no insurance).

The only other explanation (had the fairy-bike been a motorbike) would
have been an "understanding" between the killer and the magistrates, and
I'm sure that even you are not suggesting that.

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<3e6bb616-7b1e-4c75-8a6e-5f6493bbcac3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12500&group=uk.rec.cycling#12500

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 03:14:54 -0700 (PDT)
death of Sakine Cihan
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 10:14 UTC

On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 11:13:56 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
> On 09/08/2022 17:32, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 5:13:59 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> >> QUOTE: Jurors retired to deliberate on the trial just after lunch
> >> today and returned within just over an hour to acquit him of
> >> causing death by dangerous driving and driving without a licence
> >> and without insurance. ENDS
> I notice this happened 4 years ago. Has the case really taken this long?
> >> Of course, the jury heard all of the evidence.
> >
> > They would have been directed by the judge as well.
> Well, Nugent and Spike must be terribly disappointed that a killer
> "cyclist" that was actually a motorcyclist received to same treatment
> that killer drivers routinely receive.

I wouldn't know as both have been in my killfile for sometime - one over 12 years.

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<jlhgj2FrquqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12502&group=uk.rec.cycling#12502

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
driving after death of Sakine Cihan
Date: 10 Aug 2022 10:45:55 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 10:45 UTC

> On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 11:13:56 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

>> Well, Nugent and Spike must be terribly disappointed that a killer
>> "cyclist" that was actually a motorcyclist received to same treatment
>> that killer drivers routinely receive.

> I wouldn't know as both have been in my killfile for sometime - one over 12 years.

I’m sure we can put that claim in the same category as the one that
mentions a dual carriageway with speeding vehicles on it regarding the
death of a pedestrian caused by a cyclist in Kingsland, Dalston.

Check the photo of the scene:

https://www.hackneygazette.co.uk/news/crime/cyclist-acquitted-of-careless-driving-after-death-of-sakine-cihan-3652146

--
Spike

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<37e963b2-257b-4865-a9ab-21d9c4c18cddn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12504&group=uk.rec.cycling#12504

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 06:00:10 -0700 (PDT)
death of Sakine Cihan
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 13:00 UTC

On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 10:59:50 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

> The 20 limit outside my house is not enforced on anybody. As most areas
> do not enforce their 20 limits. The local council has stated that their
> aim is get the 80 percentile to 28mph.

Imagine if ASDA said that they were aiming was to get thefts below 80% by installing CCTV. The local right wing nutters would be bleating about how unfair it all is. Scameras and attack on the innocent shoplifter.

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<jlhqdoFtcthU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12507&group=uk.rec.cycling#12507

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
death of Sakine Cihan
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 14:33:43 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 13:33 UTC

On 10/08/2022 02:00 pm, swldx...@gmail.com [Del Boy Mason] wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 10:59:50 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
>
>> The 20 limit outside my house is not enforced on anybody. As most areas
>> do not enforce their 20 limits. The local council has stated that their
>> aim is get the 80 percentile to 28mph.
>
> Imagine if ASDA said that they were aiming was to get thefts below 80% by installing CCTV. The local right wing nutters would be bleating about how unfair it all is.

Only chav shoplifters and fairy-cyclists would complain about that.

As far the rest of us are concerned, supermarkets may install and use
all the surveillance cameras they wish to use on their own property.

AAMOF, I wouldn't object if they put videos of acts of shoplifting on
YouTube.

> Scameras and attack on the innocent shoplifter [fairy-cyclist].

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<ff04f118-792c-4654-844e-6bae53796440n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12508&group=uk.rec.cycling#12508

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 06:45:44 -0700 (PDT)
death of Sakine Cihan
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 13:45 UTC

On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 10:59:50 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

> The 20 limit outside my house is not enforced on anybody. As most areas
> do not enforce their 20 limits. The local council has stated that their
> aim is get the 80 percentile to 28mph.

We employ local residents and schoolchildren to monitor speeding traffic in our villages. The police fine and advise any law breaking drivers - works well.

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<jlhurrFu1bpU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12510&group=uk.rec.cycling#12510

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
death of Sakine Cihan
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 15:49:31 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 14:49 UTC

> On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 10:59:50 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

>> The 20 limit outside my house is not enforced on anybody. As most areas
>> do not enforce their 20 limits. The local council has stated that their
>> aim is get the 80 percentile to 28mph.
>
> We employ local residents and schoolchildren to monitor speeding traffic in our villages. The police fine and advise any law breaking drivers - works well.

The only problem:

It is a total fantasy.

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<jlhvv9Fu97aU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12511&group=uk.rec.cycling#12511

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
driving after death of Sakine Cihan
Date: 10 Aug 2022 15:08:25 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 15:08 UTC

JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 10/08/2022 02:45 pm, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 10:59:50 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

>>> The 20 limit outside my house is not enforced on anybody. As most areas
>>> do not enforce their 20 limits. The local council has stated that their
>>> aim is get the 80 percentile to 28mph.

>> We employ local residents and schoolchildren to monitor speeding traffic
>> in our villages. The police fine and advise any law breaking drivers - works well.

> The only problem:

> It is a total fantasy.

Another one? To go with the Kingsland single carriageway 20mph being a
seventy limit dual carriageway full of speeding drivers?

--
Spike

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<jli075Fu1bpU9@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12512&group=uk.rec.cycling#12512

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
death of Sakine Cihan
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 16:12:37 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 15:12 UTC

On 10/08/2022 04:08 pm, Spike wrote:

> JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote:

>>> We employ local residents and schoolchildren to monitor speeding traffic
>>> in our villages. The police fine and advise any law breaking drivers - works well.

>> The only problem:
>> It is a total fantasy.

> Another one? To go with the Kingsland single carriageway 20mph being a
> seventy limit dual carriageway full of speeding drivers?

Yes, another fairy-cyclist wet dream.

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<575a03f4-4a5d-46f3-82f7-bfc86928727bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12513&group=uk.rec.cycling#12513

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 08:48:08 -0700 (PDT)
death of Sakine Cihan
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 15:48 UTC

On Wednesday, August 10, 2022 at 2:45:46 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 10:59:50 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
> > The 20 limit outside my house is not enforced on anybody. As most areas
> > do not enforce their 20 limits. The local council has stated that their
> > aim is get the 80 percentile to 28mph.
> We employ local residents and schoolchildren to monitor speeding traffic in our villages. The police fine and advise any law breaking drivers - works well.

QUOTE: What is community speed watch?

This is a scheme that allows volunteers to monitor the speed of vehicles passing through their community.
How do community speed watch volunteers monitor the speed of drivers?

Volunteers use hand-held devices that tell them the speed at which drivers are travelling through their ‘patch’. When a driver is going a set amount above the speed limit – typically around 10% – the vehicle’s registration, make, model and colour are recorded..
What happens to the details then?

A spreadsheet of the offenders’ details is then passed to the local police force, who are likely to also add them to a national database.
Will the driver get a ticket?

These schemes are predominantly about education, meaning no speeding tickets will be issued. Additionally, most schemes use equipment that is not of the correct specification, so issuing a penalty would not be possible on a legal footing.
So what’s the point, if tickets can’t be issued?

While penalties can’t be issued, officers will act if speed watch volunteers repeatedly report a vehicle to the cops. Each force is different, but, typically, police will act after two reports of a vehicle speeding. In such a case the owner of the vehicle will be sent an official letter reminding them of the law. If three letters are sent, the force will carry out further investigation.
What if a driver is caught driving at excessive speed?

Most of the community speed watch activity will take place in residential areas, with speed limits of 30-40mph, so driving at excessive speed is a serious offence. If a vehicle is reported for such an ‘offence’ the local police force is likely to take the case further with a ‘strongly-worded’ letter. Prosecution will not be possible from the speed watch team’s recording.
Will that mean motorists who drive excessively fast will get away with it?

No. Many forces say they will actively ‘target’ repeat offenders for ‘enforcement’.
Make sure you’re up to date with the new speeding fines that came into force April 2017
When and where can the speed watch volunteers operate?

The volunteers must operate in a location that has been approved by the police. They must also only operate during daylight hours.
ENDS

Re: Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan

<jli4t6Fil3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12514&group=uk.rec.cycling#12514

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
driving after death of Sakine Cihan
Date: 10 Aug 2022 16:32:38 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 16:32 UTC

> On Wednesday, August 10, 2022 at 2:45:46 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 10:59:50 PM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:

>>> The 20 limit outside my house is not enforced on anybody. As most areas
>>> do not enforce their 20 limits. The local council has stated that their
>>> aim is get the 80 percentile to 28mph.

>> We employ local residents and schoolchildren to monitor speeding traffic
>> in our villages. The police fine and advise any law breaking drivers - works well.

> QUOTE: What is community speed watch?

> This is a scheme that allows volunteers to monitor the speed of vehicles
> passing through their community.

> How do community speed watch volunteers monitor the speed of drivers?

> Volunteers use hand-held devices that tell them the speed at which
> drivers are travelling through their ‘patch’. When a driver is going a
> set amount above the speed limit – typically around 10% – the vehicle’s
> registration, make, model and colour are recorded.

> What happens to the details then?

> A spreadsheet of the offenders’ details is then passed to the local
> police force, who are likely to also add them to a national database.
> Will the driver get a ticket?

> These schemes are predominantly about education, meaning no speeding
> tickets will be issued. Additionally, most schemes use equipment that is
> not of the correct specification, so issuing a penalty would not be
> possible on a legal footing.

> So what’s the point, if tickets can’t be issued?

> While penalties can’t be issued, officers will act if speed watch
> volunteers repeatedly report a vehicle to the cops. Each force is
> different, but, typically, police will act after two reports of a vehicle
> speeding. In such a case the owner of the vehicle will be sent an
> official letter reminding them of the law. If three letters are sent, the
> force will carry out further investigation.

> What if a driver is caught driving at excessive speed?

> Most of the community speed watch activity will take place in residential
> areas, with speed limits of 30-40mph, so driving at excessive speed is a
> serious offence. If a vehicle is reported for such an ‘offence’ the local
> police force is likely to take the case further with a ‘strongly-worded’
> letter. Prosecution will not be possible from the speed watch team’s recording.

> Will that mean motorists who drive excessively fast will get away with it?

> No. Many forces say they will actively ‘target’ repeat offenders for ‘enforcement’.

> Make sure you’re up to date with the new speeding fines that came into force April 2017

> When and where can the speed watch volunteers operate?

> The volunteers must operate in a location that has been approved by the
> police. They must also only operate during daylight hours.
> ENDS

The sentence above “So what’s the point, if tickets can’t be issued?”
Suggests that your claim “We employ local residents and schoolchildren to
monitor speeding traffic in our villages. The police fine and advise any
law breaking drivers - works well” is a figment of your imagination. Again.
Like the Kingsland 70 limit dual carriageway.

Ever thought of checking the facts before flapping your gob?

--
Spike

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Dalston e-bike death: Cyclist acquitted of careless driving after death of Sakine Cihan