From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Wildflowers in lawns?
Date: 30 Jul 2021 16:37:39 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 16:37 UTC

This year we were away for about 6 weeks from the end of May.
On return the lawn was a mature hay field (best I can describe).
However it was all lawn grass gone to seed.

It might be nice another year to have some wild flowers mixed in, perhaps.
However the lawn had been treated with weed and feed to beat back the moss
from over winter.

Does the team thing that sprinkling mixed wild flower seed and only using
lawn sand on the moss might give wild flowers a chance to grow?
Or is this too simplistic?

Lawn is about 12 yards by 4 yards.
[I have Imperial legs.]

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Wildflowers in lawns?

<se1c47$3ai$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1224&group=uk.rec.gardening#1224

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Wildflowers in lawns?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 18:15:51 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 17:15 UTC

On 30/07/2021 17:37, David wrote:
> This year we were away for about 6 weeks from the end of May.
> On return the lawn was a mature hay field (best I can describe).
> However it was all lawn grass gone to seed.
>
> It might be nice another year to have some wild flowers mixed in, perhaps.
> However the lawn had been treated with weed and feed to beat back the moss
> from over winter.
>
> Does the team thing that sprinkling mixed wild flower seed and only using
> lawn sand on the moss might give wild flowers a chance to grow?
> Or is this too simplistic?
>
> Lawn is about 12 yards by 4 yards.
> [I have Imperial legs.]

I've managed to get yellow rattle established in our wildflower patch
which is keeping the grass in check.

We've always had loads of different things growing in it. Notably bee
orchids which stubbornly refuse to seed into the wildflower area. I have
to mow around them.

Andy

Re: Wildflowers in lawns?

<seb6io$ff4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1245&group=uk.rec.gardening#1245

From: char...@roselandhouse.co.uk (Charlie Pridham)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 11:42:32 +0100
 by: Charlie Pridham - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 10:42 UTC

On 30/07/2021 17:37, David wrote:
> This year we were away for about 6 weeks from the end of May.
> On return the lawn was a mature hay field (best I can describe).
> However it was all lawn grass gone to seed.
>
> It might be nice another year to have some wild flowers mixed in, perhaps.
> However the lawn had been treated with weed and feed to beat back the moss
> from over winter.
>
> Does the team thing that sprinkling mixed wild flower seed and only using
> lawn sand on the moss might give wild flowers a chance to grow?
> Or is this too simplistic?
>
> Lawn is about 12 yards by 4 yards.
> [I have Imperial legs.]
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

I would research what wild flowers should be in grassland in your area,
source seed grow into plugs and salt the lawn with those, it may pay to
just do Yellow Rattle for the first season.
You should find that not mowing and just doing a hay cut in August will
naturally curb the moss and personally would do nothing about it

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall

Re: Wildflowers in lawns?

<MPG.3b7338fa47826aaf989ae2@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1246&group=uk.rec.gardening#1246

From: nob...@home.com (Janet)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 12:29:40 +0100
 by: Janet - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 11:29 UTC

In article <seb6io$ff4$1@dont-email.me>, charlie@roselandhouse.co.uk
says...

> On 30/07/2021 17:37, David wrote:
> > This year we were away for about 6 weeks from the end of May.
> > On return the lawn was a mature hay field (best I can describe).
> > However it was all lawn grass gone to seed.
> >
> > It might be nice another year to have some wild flowers mixed in, perhaps.
> > However the lawn had been treated with weed and feed to beat back the moss
> > from over winter.
> >
> > Does the team thing that sprinkling mixed wild flower seed and only using
> > lawn sand on the moss might give wild flowers a chance to grow?
> > Or is this too simplistic?
> >
> > Lawn is about 12 yards by 4 yards.
> > [I have Imperial legs.]
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> > Dave R
> >

> I would research what wild flowers should be in grassland in your area,
> source seed grow into plugs and salt the lawn with those, it may pay to
> just do Yellow Rattle for the first season.
> You should find that not mowing and just doing a hay cut in August will
> naturally curb the moss and personally would do nothing about it

When I had a wildflower meadow )several acres) I used to mow around
now, rake the hay into mounds under trees where the hens would scratch
it down over winter into compopst. I recommend planting all sorts of
seasonal bulbs, wildflower plugs, (propagate your own) and scattering
the seed pods of foxgloves and bluebells ( probably ripe last week. I
collected bluebell seeds with permission from landowner).

Janet

Re: Wildflowers in lawns?

<imsqclFg7d5U16@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1247&group=uk.rec.gardening#1247

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: 3 Aug 2021 12:16:21 GMT
 by: David - Tue, 3 Aug 2021 12:16 UTC

On Tue, 03 Aug 2021 11:42:32 +0100, Charlie Pridham wrote:

> On 30/07/2021 17:37, David wrote:
>> This year we were away for about 6 weeks from the end of May.
>> On return the lawn was a mature hay field (best I can describe).
>> However it was all lawn grass gone to seed.
>>
>> It might be nice another year to have some wild flowers mixed in,
>> perhaps.
>> However the lawn had been treated with weed and feed to beat back the
>> moss from over winter.
>>
>> Does the team thing that sprinkling mixed wild flower seed and only
>> using lawn sand on the moss might give wild flowers a chance to grow?
>> Or is this too simplistic?
>>
>> Lawn is about 12 yards by 4 yards.
>> [I have Imperial legs.]
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>>

> I would research what wild flowers should be in grassland in your area,
> source seed grow into plugs and salt the lawn with those, it may pay to
> just do Yellow Rattle for the first season.
> You should find that not mowing and just doing a hay cut in August will
> naturally curb the moss and personally would do nothing about it

The lawn (see above) is very small and has two requirements which prevent
year round hayage.

(1) Access to outbuilding at the bottom of the garden.

(2) Ability to use the rotary clothes dryer without everything catching on
the tall grasses.

So the aim is to have stuff grow spring and autumn if we are away but
mainly have the lawn cut over summer when we are formally in residence
(flag flying etc.).

Cheers

Dave R