/earth is 98% full ... please delete anyone you can.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Re: UMRA Film Club

SubjectAuthor
* UMRA Film ClubMike Ruddock
+- Re: UMRA Film ClubPenny
`* Re: UMRA Film ClubVicky
 +- Re: UMRA Film Clubkrw
 +* Re: UMRA Film ClubPenny
 |+- Re: UMRA Film ClubVicky
 |`- Re: UMRA Film ClubVicky
 `* Re: UMRA Film Clubsteve hague
  `* Re: UMRA Film ClubChris
   `* Re: UMRA Film ClubMike McMillan
    `- Re: UMRA Film ClubChris

1
UMRA Film Club

<jt3spuF1hjdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12436&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12436

From: ruddock...@btinternet.com (Mike Ruddock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: UMRA Film Club
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 08:58:39 +0000
 by: Mike Ruddock - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 08:58 UTC

My daughter dragged me out to see "Living" a film with Bill Nighy as the
main character. The plot is ultimately derived from Tolstoy's story
about Ivan Illich.
I thoroughly recommend this film. Nighy is superb (I have never seen him
play a serious character before: he usually plays Bill Nighy) I warn you
that there are few laughs and sometimes the dialogue is glacially slow.
For umrats there is the pleasure of seeing an Archers actor stepping out
(though still within range of his Archers character).

We saw the film in the new cinema in Banbury called The Light. One of
those multi-screen affairs each screen accomodating about 100 folk. Some
of the seats were at a higher price and the ones we occupied (they were
on special offer this week) could be adjusted so that you were almost
lying down. The folk next to us had wine bought at the bar (we made do
with popcorn). Decadence!

Mike Ruddock

Re: UMRA Film Club

<6gmpmht7c9gnn8dqj8j6jumhaupdvh8reh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12439&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12439

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: UMRA Film Club
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:30:12 +0000
 by: Penny - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:30 UTC

On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 08:58:39 +0000, Mike Ruddock
<ruddock117@btinternet.com> scrawled in the dust...

>My daughter dragged me out to see "Living" a film with Bill Nighy as the
>main character. The plot is ultimately derived from Tolstoy's story
>about Ivan Illich.
>I thoroughly recommend this film. Nighy is superb (I have never seen him
>play a serious character before: he usually plays Bill Nighy) I warn you
>that there are few laughs and sometimes the dialogue is glacially slow.

Sounds wonderful, i'm very fond of Mr Nighy and most of his works.Russian
drama (and comedy) are also on my tick list.

>For umrats there is the pleasure of seeing an Archers actor stepping out
>(though still within range of his Archers character).

<wanders off to check cast list>
Ooo, Tom Burke, I like him too.
I met him when I was hired (is that the right word when you don't get paid
for you time?) to face-paint the minor cast of a junior theatre production
of TheLionTheWitch&TheWardrobe in Faversham - where he was already a star
of the group. He played Aslam so was painted by the make-up person, who had
less experience with face-paints (but how hard can it be?). His face
reacted badly to the gold paint and he came to me for advice. I checked the
ingredients in the catalogue (included copper) and suggested an undercoat
of pale yellow which apparently fixed the problem.
I was so pleased they only did three shows over two days - hard work with
noisy, excited children <<shudder>> They did give me a souvenir mug...

>We saw the film in the new cinema in Banbury called The Light. One of
>those multi-screen affairs each screen accomodating about 100 folk. Some
>of the seats were at a higher price and the ones we occupied (they were
>on special offer this week) could be adjusted so that you were almost
>lying down. The folk next to us had wine bought at the bar (we made do
>with popcorn). Decadence!

I won't be seeing it in such comfortable surroundings. I'll probably wait
for the TV release.
Please remind me in a couple of years ;)

--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: UMRA Film Club

<ceppmhlev4tv62ff5ufpds9b8pu0c8nve6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12441&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12441

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:57:13 +0000
 by: Vicky - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:57 UTC

<ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:

>My daughter dragged me out to see "Living" a film with Bill Nighy as the
>main character. The plot is ultimately derived from Tolstoy's story
>about Ivan Illich.
>I thoroughly recommend this film. Nighy is superb (I have never seen him
>play a serious character before: he usually plays Bill Nighy) I warn you
>that there are few laughs and sometimes the dialogue is glacially slow.
>For umrats there is the pleasure of seeing an Archers actor stepping out
>(though still within range of his Archers character).
>
>We saw the film in the new cinema in Banbury called The Light. One of
>those multi-screen affairs each screen accomodating about 100 folk. Some
>of the seats were at a higher price and the ones we occupied (they were
>on special offer this week) could be adjusted so that you were almost
>lying down. The folk next to us had wine bought at the bar (we made do
>with popcorn). Decadence!
>
>Mike Ruddock

Thank you! It is being advertised on Gold UK radio and I've heard it
several times in the morning coming from swimming and I wanted to tell
B and ask if we cansee that on our tv,does any of our subscriptions
have it, but I couldn't remember the name of film or actor. I searched
in google for new films and didn't find it. But now I can ask.

Who is Bill Nighy in TA??

Re: UMRA Film Club

<tkip3k$1149$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12442&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12442

From: krw...@whitnet.uk (krw)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:59:47 +0000
 by: krw - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:59 UTC

On 10.11.22 11:57, Vicky wrote:
> Who is Bill Nighy in TA??

It is that William Nighy as he was credited in "The Lord of the Rings" -
somehow his first name shortened when he became famous. I do not
believe he has yet graced the Borchester airwaves.

--
Kosmo Richard W
www.travelswmw.whitnet.uk

Re: UMRA Film Club

<9jupmh1srmgo70d0hmkq86d9jii1qrompl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12444&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12444

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 13:24:21 +0000
 by: Penny - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 13:24 UTC

On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:57:13 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> scrawled
in the dust...

>On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 08:58:39 +0000, Mike Ruddock
><ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>My daughter dragged me out to see "Living" a film with Bill Nighy as the
>>main character. The plot is ultimately derived from Tolstoy's story
>>about Ivan Illich.
>>I thoroughly recommend this film. Nighy is superb (I have never seen him
>>play a serious character before: he usually plays Bill Nighy) I warn you
>>that there are few laughs and sometimes the dialogue is glacially slow.
>>For umrats there is the pleasure of seeing an Archers actor stepping out
>>(though still within range of his Archers character).
>>
>>We saw the film in the new cinema in Banbury called The Light. One of
>>those multi-screen affairs each screen accomodating about 100 folk. Some
>>of the seats were at a higher price and the ones we occupied (they were
>>on special offer this week) could be adjusted so that you were almost
>>lying down. The folk next to us had wine bought at the bar (we made do
>>with popcorn). Decadence!
>>
>>Mike Ruddock
>
>Thank you! It is being advertised on Gold UK radio and I've heard it
>several times in the morning coming from swimming and I wanted to tell
>B and ask if we cansee that on our tv,does any of our subscriptions
>have it, but I couldn't remember the name of film or actor. I searched
>in google for new films and didn't find it. But now I can ask.
>
>Who is Bill Nighy in TA??

A beloved actor of some of the older females of the village, perhaps?

Michael Cochrane (Oliver) is in the film.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: UMRA Film Club

<m4sqmhl13lf6fqpdfs02e8k6dmav8oivtb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12450&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12450

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 21:45:42 +0000
 by: Vicky - Thu, 10 Nov 2022 21:45 UTC

On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 13:24:21 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 11:57:13 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> scrawled
>in the dust...
>
>>On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 08:58:39 +0000, Mike Ruddock
>><ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>>>My daughter dragged me out to see "Living" a film with Bill Nighy as the

Living is not on Amazon Prime yet although they are showing the
trailer so we watched My Policeman, B's choice. That's 2 hours of my
life I'll never get back. It had more shag scenes than Game Of Thrones
and was really miserable all through, and worse than Make Me Prime
Minister.

Re: UMRA Film Club

<tkl3nv$1hhh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12459&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12459

From: stevehag...@gmail.com (steve hague)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 09:13:34 +0000
 by: steve hague - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 09:13 UTC

On 10/11/2022 11:57, Vicky wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 08:58:39 +0000, Mike Ruddock
> <ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> My daughter dragged me out to see "Living" a film with Bill Nighy as the
>> main character. The plot is ultimately derived from Tolstoy's story
>> about Ivan Illich.
>> I thoroughly recommend this film. Nighy is superb (I have never seen him
>> play a serious character before: he usually plays Bill Nighy) I warn you
>> that there are few laughs and sometimes the dialogue is glacially slow.
>> For umrats there is the pleasure of seeing an Archers actor stepping out
>> (though still within range of his Archers character).
>>
>> We saw the film in the new cinema in Banbury called The Light. One of
>> those multi-screen affairs each screen accomodating about 100 folk. Some
>> of the seats were at a higher price and the ones we occupied (they were
>> on special offer this week) could be adjusted so that you were almost
>> lying down. The folk next to us had wine bought at the bar (we made do
>> with popcorn). Decadence!
>>
>> Mike Ruddock
>
> Thank you! It is being advertised on Gold UK radio and I've heard it
> several times in the morning coming from swimming and I wanted to tell
> B and ask if we cansee that on our tv,does any of our subscriptions
> have it, but I couldn't remember the name of film or actor. I searched
> in google for new films and didn't find it. But now I can ask.
>
> Who is Bill Nighy in TA??

I don't know, but he did a cracking job of playing Sam Gamgee in the R4
production of LOTR many years ago.
Steve

Re: UMRA Film Club

<365smh5m6bqrs3gllk1p9grc0fv71vqf3c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12460&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12460

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 09:25:41 +0000
 by: Vicky - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 09:25 UTC

We saw See How They Run a few days ago and I did enjoy that. I can't
actually remember who dunnit now but remember enjoying the film.

Re: UMRA Film Club

<tklbpb$r9ck$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12469&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12469

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 11:30:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nTV/2mQVb9/p6Gz7JD4WsK2HySA=
 by: Chris - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 11:30 UTC

steve hague <stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/2022 11:57, Vicky wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Nov 2022 08:58:39 +0000, Mike Ruddock
>> <ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My daughter dragged me out to see "Living" a film with Bill Nighy as the
>>> main character. The plot is ultimately derived from Tolstoy's story
>>> about Ivan Illich.
>>> I thoroughly recommend this film. Nighy is superb (I have never seen him
>>> play a serious character before: he usually plays Bill Nighy) I warn you
>>> that there are few laughs and sometimes the dialogue is glacially slow.
>>> For umrats there is the pleasure of seeing an Archers actor stepping out
>>> (though still within range of his Archers character).
>>>
>>> We saw the film in the new cinema in Banbury called The Light. One of
>>> those multi-screen affairs each screen accomodating about 100 folk. Some
>>> of the seats were at a higher price and the ones we occupied (they were
>>> on special offer this week) could be adjusted so that you were almost
>>> lying down. The folk next to us had wine bought at the bar (we made do
>>> with popcorn). Decadence!
>>>
>>> Mike Ruddock
>>
>> Thank you! It is being advertised on Gold UK radio and I've heard it
>> several times in the morning coming from swimming and I wanted to tell
>> B and ask if we cansee that on our tv,does any of our subscriptions
>> have it, but I couldn't remember the name of film or actor. I searched
>> in google for new films and didn't find it. But now I can ask.
>>
>> Who is Bill Nighy in TA??
>
> I don't know, but he did a cracking job of playing Sam Gamgee in the R4
> production of LOTR many years ago.
> Steve

Indeed!

The films failed to enthuse me.

Mrs McT

Re: UMRA Film Club

<tklm5h$s7k4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12474&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12474

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 14:28:01 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:RycFYq/L1FRXSgU1sabNl7CwWi4=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 11 Nov 2022 14:28 UTC

Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> steve hague <stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/11/2022 11:57, Vicky wrote:

>>> Thank you! It is being advertised on Gold UK radio and I've heard it
>>> several times in the morning coming from swimming and I wanted to tell
>>> B and ask if we cansee that on our tv,does any of our subscriptions
>>> have it, but I couldn't remember the name of film or actor. I searched
>>> in google for new films and didn't find it. But now I can ask.
>>>
>>> Who is Bill Nighy in TA??
>>
>> I don't know, but he did a cracking job of playing Sam Gamgee in the R4
>> production of LOTR many years ago.
>> Steve
>>

> Indeed!
>
> The films failed to enthuse me.
>
> Mrs McT

This is linked to the quality of the images being far superior on the page
or radio - imagination is far superior and is limitless!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: UMRA Film Club

<tko68l$161kg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12493&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12493

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2022 13:15:01 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:HArzXSII7gysAO9pUBqwkV6NyRY=
 by: Chris - Sat, 12 Nov 2022 13:15 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Chris <chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> steve hague <stevehague82@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't know, but he did a cracking job of playing Sam Gamgee in the R4
>>> production of LOTR many years ago.
>>> Steve
>>>

>> Indeed!
>>
>> The films failed to enthuse me.
>>
>> Mrs McT
>>

> This is linked to the quality of the images being far superior on the page
> or radio - imagination is far superior and is limitless!

SODAM took me to see the first one.

Mrs McT