From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Grass in drought - the long and the short of it
Date: 5 Aug 2021 12:03:29 GMT
 by: David - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 12:03 UTC

I have just topped off the grass on the highest mower setting - some
shoots growing green and tall but mainly brownish.
The lawn was allowed unrestrained growth for 6 weeks then cut back to the
highest setting on the mower.

We are forecast some rain but the ground is generally dry.

I am wondering which is best for grass during a dry spell, given that
grass has a strong reputation for recovering from a brown dusty desert to
green as soon as conditions improve.

Is it better to leave some of the plant above ground as an energy store?
Or is it better to cut it as short as possible (as tradition has it) when
summer starts?

I am discounting the strategy of cutting the lawn to bowling green
standards then watering with a sprinkler every other day.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Grass in drought - the long and the short of it

<iqc8tqFio20U8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1436&group=uk.rec.gardening#1436

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Grass in drought - the long and the short of it
Date: 14 Sep 2021 18:45:14 GMT
 by: David - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:45 UTC

On Thu, 05 Aug 2021 12:03:29 +0000, David wrote:

> I have just topped off the grass on the highest mower setting - some
> shoots growing green and tall but mainly brownish.
> The lawn was allowed unrestrained growth for 6 weeks then cut back to
> the highest setting on the mower.
>
> We are forecast some rain but the ground is generally dry.
>
> I am wondering which is best for grass during a dry spell, given that
> grass has a strong reputation for recovering from a brown dusty desert
> to green as soon as conditions improve.
>
> Is it better to leave some of the plant above ground as an energy
> store?
> Or is it better to cut it as short as possible (as tradition has it)
> when summer starts?
>
> I am discounting the strategy of cutting the lawn to bowling green
> standards then watering with a sprinkler every other day.

The grass seems to have done OK longer, with the added bonus of
grasshoppers.

It has just rained a bit for the first time for ages and the lawn is
transforming from brown to green at an amazing rate.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Grass in drought - the long and the short of it

<iqj3ngFirk2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1451&group=uk.rec.gardening#1451

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 09:59:28 +0100
 by: alan_m - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 08:59 UTC

On 14/09/2021 19:45, David wrote:

> It has just rained a bit for the first time for ages and the lawn is
> transforming from brown to green at an amazing rate.

Similar situation with the lawn but over the past few weeks I have been
doing some DIY and cleaning tools and containers is a lot easier with a
hose with a gun set to give a narrow higher pressure jet of water. As a
result a small patch of my lawn has been well watered and has turned
green again until...

Mr fox has discovered the soft earth in the watered part of the lawn and
has dug multiple holes in search of food. I now have an 18 hole golf
course but with the holes less than a foot apart ;(