From: mail.inv...@mail.invalid (john west)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: leaking hose join to fitting
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 08:43:26 +0100
 by: john west - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 07:43 UTC

My hand held Gardener sprayer always runs water down my arms when using
it in a raised position.
I've tried trimming the end of the hose and pushing hard on to the
Gardena fitting to no avail.
Is there any way to secure a really water tight hose join to the
fitting? I would prefer not to use a permanent adhesive.

Re: leaking hose join to fitting

<8fc4hg17ig62gloid97fj87somq6ebduus@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1254&group=uk.rec.gardening#1254

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: leaking hose join to fitting
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 09:13:27 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 08:13 UTC

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 08:43:26 +0100, john west
<mail.invalid456@mail.invalid> wrote:

>My hand held Gardener sprayer always runs water down my arms when using
>it in a raised position.
>I've tried trimming the end of the hose and pushing hard on to the
>Gardena fitting to no avail.
>Is there any way to secure a really water tight hose join to the
>fitting? I would prefer not to use a permanent adhesive.

I take it you mean it leaks where the hose connects to the handle of
the nozzle piece. Several possibilities: the O-ring on the nozzle
piece is damaged or perished; the washer in the base of the fitting
that clips onto the nozzle piece is perished or missing (assuming
there ever was one); the fitting on the hose never actually 'clicks'
when you push it onto the nozzle, possibly because the washer
mentioned above is too thick; lastly, the fitting on the end of the
hose isn't a Gardena fitting so doesn't quite match the handle (it may
be a Hozelock one or summat else).

Most of those are fairly easily remedied; lots of places do spare
washers etc. https://tinyurl.com/2d5r6vfj

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: leaking hose join to fitting

<upo9uh-b7j41.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1255&group=uk.rec.gardening#1255

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 09:09:02 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 08:09 UTC

john west <mail.invalid456@mail.invalid> wrote:

> My hand held Gardener sprayer always runs water down my arms when using
> it in a raised position.
> I've tried trimming the end of the hose and pushing hard on to the
> Gardena fitting to no avail.
> Is there any way to secure a really water tight hose join to the
> fitting? I would prefer not to use a permanent adhesive.

It's often the O-ring in the fitting either gets old and deformed or
just breaks, take a look at that. It goes in a groove in the 'male'
half of the fitting that pushes into the other part.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: leaking hose join to fitting

<inev5uF28u8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1256&group=uk.rec.gardening#1256

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 10:28:28 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 09:28 UTC

john west wrote:

> I've tried trimming the end of the hose and pushing hard on to the
> Gardena fitting to no avail.

Don't think I've ever had Gardena fittings so can't comment on them, but
I've had a mish-mash of Hozelock and DIY-store fittings which all leak
to an extent, now I'm using Claber fittings and spray heads and they
give a VERY positive connection that doesn't leak.

They certainly mate with other brands, most of the difference seems to
be in the female sockets on the hose, rather than the male fitting of
the spray head, so you could try replacing just the fitting on the end
of your hose first, you'll have forgotten how expensive they are by the
time you've realised you haven't got soggy elbows!

If I have any complaint about the Claber spray heads, it's that they
probably suit smaller hands than mine.

Re: leaking hose join to fitting

<setn5j$e8v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1257&group=uk.rec.gardening#1257

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 12:16:02 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 11:16 UTC

On 10/08/2021 08:43, john west wrote:

> My hand held Gardener sprayer always runs water down my arms when using
> it in a raised position.
> I've tried trimming the end of the hose and pushing hard on to the
> Gardena fitting to no avail.

In my experience that is never where stuff leaks. Its always the O-ring
that is supposed to sit inside the plastic female part of the connector
and te plastic connectir wears or isnt matched to start with

> Is there any way to secure a really water tight hose join to the
> fitting? I would prefer not to use a permanent adhesive.

Again *my* experience FWIW is that if you are using a hose a lot and
leaks bother you, replace all plastic with proper brass fittings as far
as you can, and experiment with different makes where you have issues

Most hose parts are cheap consumer SHIT. going to a semi-pro supplier
nets you stuff that doesn't leak and lasts, at a cost premium

--
It is the folly of too many to mistake the echo of a London coffee-house
for the voice of the kingdom.

Jonathan Swift

Re: leaking hose join to fitting

<sf3tev$mh7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1262&group=uk.rec.gardening#1262

From: mail.inv...@mail.invalid (john west)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2021 20:40:17 +0100
 by: john west - Thu, 12 Aug 2021 19:40 UTC

The Original post:

My hand held Gardener sprayer always runs water down my arms when using
it in a raised position.
I've tried trimming the end of the hose and pushing hard on to the
Gardena fitting to no avail.
Is there any way to secure a really water tight hose join to the
fitting? I would prefer not to use a permanent adhesive.

Thanks to all for advice. i know its not an O ring issue. Its a good fit
especially with a circle of tape over the O ring which makes it a really
tight fit.

Its the hose end going into the fitting that joins immediately to the
hose. The hose is quite old and has gone quite hard even though i have
trimmed the end off several times and put it in hot water to soften it
to try to make a good join. But its not working satisfactorily.

I found a short length of yellow hose abandoned at the allotment some
years ago and its still quite flexible even though being very old.

Might anyone know which make of hose this might be? Since i know from
experience one very common make of yellow hose goes hard and difficult
to use quite quickly. Thanks.

Re: leaking hose join to fitting

<agjhuh-la0k1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1263&group=uk.rec.gardening#1263

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 08:27:38 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 07:27 UTC

john west <mail.invalid456@mail.invalid> wrote:

> The Original post:
>
> My hand held Gardener sprayer always runs water down my arms when using
> it in a raised position.
> I've tried trimming the end of the hose and pushing hard on to the
> Gardena fitting to no avail.
> Is there any way to secure a really water tight hose join to the
> fitting? I would prefer not to use a permanent adhesive.

> Thanks to all for advice. i know its not an O ring issue. Its a good fit
> especially with a circle of tape over the O ring which makes it a really
> tight fit.

I'd have thought "a circle of tape over the O ring" would make things
worse, In fact I can't really imagine how it would help at all.

> Its the hose end going into the fitting that joins immediately to the
> hose. The hose is quite old and has gone quite hard even though i have
> trimmed the end off several times and put it in hot water to soften it
> to try to make a good join. But its not working satisfactorily.

It might be worth trying a couple of different brands of 'hozelock to
end of hose' type fittings, they are quite variable in quality and
effectiveness.

--
Chris Green
·