Due to a shortage of devoted followers, the production of great leaders has been discontinued.

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Stiff Nail Brush Online

SubjectAuthor
* Stiff Nail Brush OnlineBill Davy
+- Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineJim Jackson
+- Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineThe Natural Philosopher
+* Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineFran
|`* Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineThe Natural Philosopher
| `* Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineFran
|  `* Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineThe Natural Philosopher
|   `* Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineFran
|    +* Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineRJH
|    |`- Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineFran
|    +* Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineAndy Burns
|    |`* Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineFran
|    | +- Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineRJH
|    | +- Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineAndy Burns
|    | `* Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineChris Green
|    |  `- Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineThe Natural Philosopher
|    `* Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineThe Natural Philosopher
|     `* Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineFran
|      +- Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineThe Natural Philosopher
|      `* Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineAndy Burns
|       `- Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineFran
`* Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineChris Hogg
 `* Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineThe Natural Philosopher
  `- Re: Stiff Nail Brush OnlineFran

1
Stiff Nail Brush Online

<inf9i4F4bjoU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1258&group=uk.rec.gardening#1258

From: Bil...@XchelSys.co.uk (Bill Davy)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Stiff Nail Brush Online
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 13:25:40 +0100
 by: Bill Davy - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 12:25 UTC

Last one finally died. Not quite sure where I got it.
Local shops failed (chemist, supermarket, hardware store).
Any suggestions for online (reluctantly)?
Really want to get the fingernails clean after scrabbling around in the
dirt.

Bill

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<slrnsh5f7a.4f1.jj@iridium.wf32df>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1260&group=uk.rec.gardening#1260

From: jj...@franjam.org.uk (Jim Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 17:52:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Jim Jackson - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 17:52 UTC

On 2021-08-10, Bill Davy <Bill@XchelSys.co.uk> wrote:
> Last one finally died. Not quite sure where I got it.
> Local shops failed (chemist, supermarket, hardware store).
> Any suggestions for online (reluctantly)?

I really understand where you are coming from on this, but you really
need to feel the brushes before buying - which precludes online
purchases.

Vast majority of "nail" brushes are very soft and useless. Last
really good one I bought was in the hardware shop in Mallaig Harbour,
west coast of Scotland when I was on holiday a few years ago. I should
have bought their stock!

Hope you get some recommendations - I'd be interested too!

> Really want to get the fingernails clean after scrabbling around in the
> dirt.
>
> Bill

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<seuem2$p4g$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1261&group=uk.rec.gardening#1261

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 18:57:22 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 17:57 UTC

On 10/08/2021 13:25, Bill Davy wrote:
> Last one finally died.  Not quite sure where I got it.
> Local shops failed (chemist, supermarket, hardware store).
> Any suggestions for online (reluctantly)?
> Really want to get the fingernails clean after scrabbling around in the
> dirt.
>
> Bill
I got a couple of kraut ones from amazon

--
WOKE is an acronym... Without Originality, Knowledge or Education.

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<sfhri7$2c3$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1272&group=uk.rec.gardening#1272

From: f2r...@loonynutters.com (Fran)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 12:33:34 +1000
 by: Fran - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 02:33 UTC

On 10/08/2021 10:25 pm, Bill Davy wrote:
> Last one finally died.  Not quite sure where I got it.
> Local shops failed (chemist, supermarket, hardware store).
> Any suggestions for online (reluctantly)?
> Really want to get the fingernails clean after scrabbling around in the
> dirt.

You'll probably think this advice is silly when you see what I
recommend, but as I too have had a similar problem with nail brushes and
disgusting finger nails so I really understand your situation.

I've found that tiny nail brushes used by manicurists are brilliant and
work better than any other nail brush I've ever owned (and I've spent a
fortune on buying many with don't work well). I was given one by a
manicurist after I had had a 'hand spa' session with her.

When I first saw these tiny brushes, I thought they'd be totally useless
- they are tiny but I've since decided that it is because they are tiny,
you can really get them working on your nails and your cuticles. They
clean up the crud amazingly well. They are sooooooo darned good, I
eventually ordered 20 from Amazon and have since converted friends to
use them after I've very (reluctantly) gifted them with one of mine from
my carefully guarded stash. I can fully recommend these:
https://tinyurl.com/4jm7hpvu

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<i58phgts0h1843ads0e67ufanhn1cm935v@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1273&group=uk.rec.gardening#1273

From: me...@privacy.net (Chris Hogg)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 06:59:08 +0100
 by: Chris Hogg - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 05:59 UTC

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 13:25:40 +0100, Bill Davy <Bill@XchelSys.co.uk>
wrote:

>Last one finally died. Not quite sure where I got it.
>Local shops failed (chemist, supermarket, hardware store).
>Any suggestions for online (reluctantly)?
>Really want to get the fingernails clean after scrabbling around in the
>dirt.
>
>Bill

I use the type with the single row of bristles laid almost flat, on
the back, although with the ones I have ATM the bristles are a bit
long and soft so I cut them shorter with a pair of small scissors.
This sort https://tinyurl.com/yfzhxlsv

Another tip - keep you nails short; that way they accumulate less dirt
in the first place.

--
Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall, very mild, sheltered
from the West, but open to the North and East.

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<sfi8lc$11a$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1274&group=uk.rec.gardening#1274

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 07:17:16 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 06:17 UTC

On 18/08/2021 03:33, Fran wrote:
> On 10/08/2021 10:25 pm, Bill Davy wrote:
>> Last one finally died.  Not quite sure where I got it.
>> Local shops failed (chemist, supermarket, hardware store).
>> Any suggestions for online (reluctantly)?
>> Really want to get the fingernails clean after scrabbling around in
>> the dirt.
>
> You'll probably think this advice is silly when you see what I
> recommend, but as I too have had a similar problem with nail brushes and
> disgusting finger nails so I really understand your situation.
>
> I've found that tiny nail brushes used by manicurists are brilliant and
> work better than any other nail brush I've ever owned (and I've spent a
> fortune on buying many with don't work well).  I was given one by a
> manicurist after I had had a 'hand spa' session with her.
>
> When I first saw these tiny brushes, I thought they'd be totally useless
> - they are tiny but I've since decided that it is because they are tiny,
> you can really get them working on your nails and your cuticles.  They
> clean up the crud amazingly well.  They are sooooooo darned good, I
> eventually ordered 20 from Amazon and have since converted friends to
> use them after I've very (reluctantly) gifted them with one of mine from
> my carefully guarded stash.  I can fully recommend these:
> https://tinyurl.com/4jm7hpvu

Links to spam site

--
“Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of

Dennis Miller

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<sfi8ob$11a$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1275&group=uk.rec.gardening#1275

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 07:18:51 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 06:18 UTC

On 18/08/2021 06:59, Chris Hogg wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 13:25:40 +0100, Bill Davy <Bill@XchelSys.co.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Last one finally died. Not quite sure where I got it.
>> Local shops failed (chemist, supermarket, hardware store).
>> Any suggestions for online (reluctantly)?
>> Really want to get the fingernails clean after scrabbling around in the
>> dirt.
>>
>> Bill
>
> I use the type with the single row of bristles laid almost flat, on
> the back, although with the ones I have ATM the bristles are a bit
> long and soft so I cut them shorter with a pair of small scissors.
> This sort https://tinyurl.com/yfzhxlsv
>
> Another tip - keep you nails short; that way they accumulate less dirt
> in the first place.

I bought these. Apart from being German they work OK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Z9HSH73/

--
“Some people like to travel by train because it combines the slowness of
a car with the cramped public exposure of
an airplane.”

Dennis Miller

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<sfkl8e$79l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1279&group=uk.rec.gardening#1279

From: f2r...@loonynutters.com (Fran)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 14:04:29 +1000
 by: Fran - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 04:04 UTC

On 18/08/2021 4:17 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 18/08/2021 03:33, Fran wrote:
>> On 10/08/2021 10:25 pm, Bill Davy wrote:
>>> Last one finally died.  Not quite sure where I got it.
>>> Local shops failed (chemist, supermarket, hardware store).
>>> Any suggestions for online (reluctantly)?
>>> Really want to get the fingernails clean after scrabbling around in
>>> the dirt.
>>
>> You'll probably think this advice is silly when you see what I
>> recommend, but as I too have had a similar problem with nail brushes
>> and disgusting finger nails so I really understand your situation.
>>
>> I've found that tiny nail brushes used by manicurists are brilliant
>> and work better than any other nail brush I've ever owned (and I've
>> spent a fortune on buying many with don't work well).  I was given one
>> by a manicurist after I had had a 'hand spa' session with her.
>>
>> When I first saw these tiny brushes, I thought they'd be totally
>> useless - they are tiny but I've since decided that it is because they
>> are tiny, you can really get them working on your nails and your
>> cuticles.  They clean up the crud amazingly well.  They are sooooooo
>> darned good, I eventually ordered 20 from Amazon and have since
>> converted friends to use them after I've very (reluctantly) gifted
>> them with one of mine from my carefully guarded stash.  I can fully
>> recommend these:
>> https://tinyurl.com/4jm7hpvu
>
> Links to spam site

Rubbish! It links to ebay and I've never yet heard anyone call ebay a
spam site.

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<sfklb7$79l$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1280&group=uk.rec.gardening#1280

From: f2r...@loonynutters.com (Fran)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 14:05:41 +1000
 by: Fran - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 04:05 UTC

On 18/08/2021 4:18 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 18/08/2021 06:59, Chris Hogg wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 13:25:40 +0100, Bill Davy <Bill@XchelSys.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Last one finally died.  Not quite sure where I got it.
>>> Local shops failed (chemist, supermarket, hardware store).
>>> Any suggestions for online (reluctantly)?
>>> Really want to get the fingernails clean after scrabbling around in the
>>> dirt.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>
>> I use the type with the single row of bristles laid almost flat, on
>> the back, although with the ones I have ATM the bristles are a bit
>> long and soft so I cut them shorter with a pair of small scissors.
>> This sort https://tinyurl.com/yfzhxlsv
>>
>> Another tip - keep you nails short; that way they accumulate less dirt
>> in the first place.
>>

> I bought these. Apart from being German they work OK
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Z9HSH73/

I've tried them and the bristles are too soft.

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<sfl28q$7jo$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1286&group=uk.rec.gardening#1286

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 08:46:34 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Thu, 19 Aug 2021 07:46 UTC

On 19/08/2021 05:04, Fran wrote:
> On 18/08/2021 4:17 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>>>
>>> You'll probably think this advice is silly when you see what I
>>> recommend, but as I too have had a similar problem with nail brushes
>>> and disgusting finger nails so I really understand your situation.
>>>
>>> I've found that tiny nail brushes used by manicurists are brilliant
>>> and work better than any other nail brush I've ever owned (and I've
>>> spent a fortune on buying many with don't work well).  I was given
>>> one by a manicurist after I had had a 'hand spa' session with her.
>>>
>>> When I first saw these tiny brushes, I thought they'd be totally
>>> useless - they are tiny but I've since decided that it is because
>>> they are tiny, you can really get them working on your nails and your
>>> cuticles.  They clean up the crud amazingly well.  They are sooooooo
>>> darned good, I eventually ordered 20 from Amazon and have since
>>> converted friends to use them after I've very (reluctantly) gifted
>>> them with one of mine from my carefully guarded stash.  I can fully
>>> recommend these:
>>> https://tinyurl.com/4jm7hpvu
>>
>> Links to spam site
>
> Rubbish!  It links to ebay and I've never yet heard anyone call ebay a
> spam site.
No, it links to tinyurl.com

Which is amongst other things, a way to disguise spam, and completely
uneccessary for linking to ebay

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<sfn2mv$chn$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1290&group=uk.rec.gardening#1290

From: f2r...@loonynutters.com (Fran)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 12:06:24 +1000
 by: Fran - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 02:06 UTC

On 19/08/2021 5:46 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 19/08/2021 05:04, Fran wrote:

>>> Links to spam site
>>
>> Rubbish!  It links to ebay and I've never yet heard anyone call ebay a
>> spam site.
> No, it links to tinyurl.com

Wrong. It links to ebay! It does that by using a link that has been
shortened using tinyURL.

> Which is amongst other things,  a way to disguise spam, and completely
> uneccessary for linking to ebay

Rubbish. tinyURL is just a way of shortening an enormously long URL. I
used tinyURL (as I've done for as long as it's been around) as the real
URL link was at least 5 lines long.

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<sfn879$2fh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1296&group=uk.rec.gardening#1296

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 03:40:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 03:40 UTC

On 20 Aug 2021 at 03:06:24 BST, "Fran" <f2r2a3@loonynutters.com> wrote:

> On 19/08/2021 5:46 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

>>> Rubbish! It links to ebay and I've never yet heard anyone call ebay a
>>> spam site.
>> No, it links to tinyurl.com
>
> Wrong. It links to ebay! It does that by using a link that has been
> shortened using tinyURL.

Indeed.

>> Which is amongst other things, a way to disguise spam, and completely
>> uneccessary for linking to ebay
>
> Rubbish. tinyURL is just a way of shortening an enormously long URL. I
> used tinyURL (as I've done for as long as it's been around) as the real
> URL link was at least 5 lines long.

You needn't bother - just cut out all of the extraneous tracking nonsense ebay
tacks on - in your case:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18500275753

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<io8vt1F93k6U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1297&group=uk.rec.gardening#1297

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 07:20:14 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 06:20 UTC

Fran wrote:

> tinyURL is just a way of shortening an enormously long URL. I used
> tinyURL (as I've done for as long as it's been around) as the real
> URL link was at least 5 lines long.
The eBay URL is long because contains all sorts of tracking

<https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/124858733689?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D233198%26meid%3D556c0863f8ff42dd880a73bed3707054%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D185002757537%26itm%3D124858733689%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1>

but you can cut all that out and still leave a working link to the item

<https://ebay.com.au/itm/124858733689>

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<sfnlo0$f3r$4@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1298&group=uk.rec.gardening#1298

From: f2r...@loonynutters.com (Fran)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 17:31:12 +1000
 by: Fran - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 07:31 UTC

On 20/08/2021 1:40 pm, RJH wrote:
> On 20 Aug 2021 at 03:06:24 BST, "Fran" <f2r2a3@loonynutters.com> wrote:

>>> No, it links to tinyurl.com
>>
>> Wrong. It links to ebay! It does that by using a link that has been
>> shortened using tinyURL.
>>

> Indeed.
>
>>> Which is amongst other things, a way to disguise spam, and completely
>>> uneccessary for linking to ebay
>>
>> Rubbish. tinyURL is just a way of shortening an enormously long URL. I
>> used tinyURL (as I've done for as long as it's been around) as the real
>> URL link was at least 5 lines long.
>
> You needn't bother - just cut out all of the extraneous tracking nonsense ebay
> tacks on - in your case:
>
> https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18500275753

That doesn't work at all. It says: "We looked everywhere. Looks like
this page is missing. If you still need help visit our help pages. "

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<sfnltq$f3r$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1299&group=uk.rec.gardening#1299

From: f2r...@loonynutters.com (Fran)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 17:34:18 +1000
 by: Fran - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 07:34 UTC

On 20/08/2021 4:20 pm, Andy Burns wrote:
> Fran wrote:
>
>> tinyURL is just a way of shortening an enormously long URL.  I used
>> tinyURL (as I've done for as long as it's been around) as the real URL
>> link was at least 5 lines long.
> The eBay URL is long because contains all sorts of tracking
>
> <https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/124858733689?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D233198%26meid%3D556c0863f8ff42dd880a73bed3707054%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D185002757537%26itm%3D124858733689%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1>
>

> but you can cut all that out and still leave a working link to the item
>
> <https://ebay.com.au/itm/124858733689>

Now that one does work! I notice the final number on yours is different
that the one used by RJH.

Thank you. I've learned something today (at least about ebay links)
although I doubt that it will work for most other sites I might want to
cite.

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<sfnn2v$rfq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1300&group=uk.rec.gardening#1300

From: patchmo...@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 07:54:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 07:54 UTC

On 20 Aug 2021 at 08:34:18 BST, "Fran" <f2r2a3@loonynutters.com> wrote:

> On 20/08/2021 4:20 pm, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Fran wrote:
>>
>>> tinyURL is just a way of shortening an enormously long URL. I used
>>> tinyURL (as I've done for as long as it's been around) as the real URL
>>> link was at least 5 lines long.
>> The eBay URL is long because contains all sorts of tracking
>>
>> <https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/124858733689?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D233198%26meid%3D556c0863f8ff42dd880a73bed3707054%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D185002757537%26itm%3D124858733689%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1>
>>

>> but you can cut all that out and still leave a working link to the item
>>
>> <https://ebay.com.au/itm/124858733689>
>
> Now that one does work! I notice the final number on yours is different
> that the one used by RJH.

Indeed - the idiot couldn't manage to copy the complete item number :-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<io95ghFa3sbU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1301&group=uk.rec.gardening#1301

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 08:55:58 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 07:55 UTC

Fran wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> <https://ebay.com.au/itm/124858733689>
>
> Now that one does work!  I notice the final number on yours is different
> that the one used by RJH.

I think he just made up a number as an example, I used the same item
number as in your listing.

> Thank you.  I've learned something today (at least about ebay links)
> although I doubt that it will work for most other sites I might want to
> cite.

It's certainly not universal, but if something in a URL looks like
gobbldygook, it's worth trying to cut it out, one part at a time, to see
if it's needed or not.

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<gs34vh-don4.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1302&group=uk.rec.gardening#1302

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 08:57:36 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 07:57 UTC

Fran <f2r2a3@loonynutters.com> wrote:
> On 20/08/2021 4:20 pm, Andy Burns wrote:
> > Fran wrote:
> >
> >> tinyURL is just a way of shortening an enormously long URL.  I used
> >> tinyURL (as I've done for as long as it's been around) as the real URL
> >> link was at least 5 lines long.
> > The eBay URL is long because contains all sorts of tracking
> >
> > <https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/124858733689?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D233198%26meid%3D556c0863f8ff42dd880a73bed3707054%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D185002757537%26itm%3D124858733689%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic%26brand%3DUnbranded&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1>
>

> > but you can cut all that out and still leave a working link to the item
> >
> > <https://ebay.com.au/itm/124858733689>
>
> Now that one does work! I notice the final number on yours is different
> that the one used by RJH.
>
> Thank you. I've learned something today (at least about ebay links)
> although I doubt that it will work for most other sites I might want to
> cite.

It does for quite a few, anything after a ?/= sequence is likely to
have little to do with the actual web page one is pointing to.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<sfnoi0$3q6$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1303&group=uk.rec.gardening#1303

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 09:19:12 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 08:19 UTC

On 20/08/2021 03:06, Fran wrote:
> Wrong.  It links to ebay!  It does that by using a link that has been
> shortened using tinyURL.
No, it doesn't

It links to tinyurl.com where it is *redirected* to wherever.

In many cases to sites that want to disguise themselves for nefarious
purposes, which is why it is routinely blocked

Josef Stalin

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<sfnotk$6t9$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1304&group=uk.rec.gardening#1304

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 09:25:21 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 08:25 UTC

On 20/08/2021 08:57, Chris Green wrote:
>> I doubt that it will work for most other sites I might want to
>> cite.
>>
> It does for quite a few, anything after a ?/= sequence is likely to
> have little to do with the actual web page one is pointing to.

the ? ...= ... [ & ...=... ] is a way of passing extra name-value pair
parameters to the URL. If the URL is in fact a page, the rest may well
be extraneous.

On the other hand I have written web sites where the ?..= etc defines
the actual page via a universal redirector.

On those you usually need to include the first ?=

as in e.g. https://somedomain.com?page=138769

and so on.

--
Climate Change: Socialism wearing a lab coat.

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<sfpmrm$bdi$5@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1315&group=uk.rec.gardening#1315

From: f2r...@loonynutters.com (Fran)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 12:02:29 +1000
 by: Fran - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 02:02 UTC

On 20/08/2021 6:19 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 20/08/2021 03:06, Fran wrote:
>> Wrong.  It links to ebay!  It does that by using a link that has been
>> shortened using tinyURL.
> No, it doesn't
>
> It links to tinyurl.com where  it is *redirected* to wherever.

OK, but it works to get one to ebay.
> In many cases to sites that want to disguise themselves for nefarious
> purposes, which is why it is routinely blocked

I've yet to find anyone other than yourself who claims to have tinyURL
blocked. It seems to be very commonly used by usenet posters.

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<sfq2gl$71c$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1316&group=uk.rec.gardening#1316

From: tnp...@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 06:21:25 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 05:21 UTC

On 21/08/2021 03:02, Fran wrote:
> On 20/08/2021 6:19 pm, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
>> On 20/08/2021 03:06, Fran wrote:
>>> Wrong.  It links to ebay!  It does that by using a link that has been
>>> shortened using tinyURL.
>> No, it doesn't
>>
>> It links to tinyurl.com where  it is *redirected* to wherever.
>
> OK, but it works to get one to ebay.
>> In many cases to sites that want to disguise themselves for nefarious
>> purposes, which is why it is routinely blocked
>
> I've yet to find anyone other than yourself who claims to have tinyURL
> blocked.  It seems to be very commonly used by usenet posters.

Ublock Origin flags it as spam

--
For in reason, all government without the consent of the governed is the
very definition of slavery.

Jonathan Swift

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<iobp87FpeorU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1317&group=uk.rec.gardening#1317

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 08:45:09 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 07:45 UTC

Fran wrote:

> I've yet to find anyone other than yourself who claims to have tinyURL
> blocked.  It seems to be very commonly used by usenet posters.

If you're worried about where you're getting redirected to, there's always

https://preview.tinyurl.com/4jm7hpvu

The reason I dislike tinyurl is that in most cases it's not necessary,
and it'll probably go away one day.

Re: Stiff Nail Brush Online

<sfv2vl$k2$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1321&group=uk.rec.gardening#1321

From: f2r...@loonynutters.com (Fran)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 13:00:06 +1000
 by: Fran - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 03:00 UTC

On 21/08/2021 5:45 pm, Andy Burns wrote:
> Fran wrote:
>
>> I've yet to find anyone other than yourself who claims to have tinyURL
>> blocked.  It seems to be very commonly used by usenet posters.
>
> If you're worried about where you're getting redirected to, there's always

I'm not at all worried :-)) I've used it for years.