From: ruddock...@btinternet.com (Mike Ruddock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Puzzling email
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 17:54:49 +0000
 by: Mike Ruddock - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 17:54 UTC

Today I received an email with an attachment. The email was not very
informative:-

The advertiser does not manage your subscription.
If you prefer not to receive further communication please unsubscribe here
Or write to: 34 N Franklin Ave Ste 687#2043, Pinedale, WY, 82941

But the attachement made it clear that I was being offered some
protection with regard to an investment.
The name Monzo was often used and once I was told that Monzo was the
name of my bank (it isn't)

This must be some sort of swindle No?

Mike Ruddock

Re: Puzzling email

<jtknrlFhdamU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12590&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12590

From: elv...@nospam.demon.co.uk (Kate B)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Puzzling email
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 18:18:31 +0000
 by: Kate B - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 18:18 UTC

On 16/11/2022 17:54, Mike Ruddock wrote:
> Today I received an email with an attachment. The email was not very
> informative:-
>
> The advertiser does not manage your subscription.
> If you prefer not to receive further communication please unsubscribe here
> Or write to: 34 N Franklin Ave Ste 687#2043, Pinedale, WY, 82941
>
> But the attachement made it clear that I was being offered some
> protection with regard to an investment.
> The name Monzo was often used and once I was told that Monzo was the
> name of my bank (it isn't)
>
> This must be some sort of swindle No?
>
> Mike Ruddock

Advice to the unwary - not usually a good idea to open an attachment
from someone you don't know. I'd do a virus scan if I were you.

It could also imply you had been spoofed in order to set up an account
with Monzo. But the email and attachment don't seem to match?

--
Kate B

Re: Puzzling email

<jtkoapFl3jmU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12591&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12591

From: ruddock...@btinternet.com (Mike Ruddock)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 18:26:33 +0000
 by: Mike Ruddock - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 18:26 UTC

On 16/11/2022 18:18, Kate B wrote:
> On 16/11/2022 17:54, Mike Ruddock wrote:
>> Today I received an email with an attachment. The email was not very
>> informative:-
>>
>> The advertiser does not manage your subscription.
>> If you prefer not to receive further communication please unsubscribe
>> here
>> Or write to: 34 N Franklin Ave Ste 687#2043, Pinedale, WY, 82941
>>
>> But the attachement made it clear that I was being offered some
>> protection with regard to an investment.
>> The name Monzo was often used and once I was told that Monzo was the
>> name of my bank (it isn't)
>>
>> This must be some sort of swindle No?
>>
>> Mike Ruddock
>
> Advice to the unwary - not usually a good idea to open an attachment
> from someone you don't know. I'd do a virus scan if I were you.
>
> It could also imply you had been spoofed in order to set up an account
> with Monzo. But the email and attachment don't seem to match?

Another email has arrived. This one carries a title "Confirmation of
order: Phillips Air Fryer"

Needles to say I haven't ordered such an item.
Mike Ruddock

Re: Puzzling email

<tl3a7i$2dk08$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12592&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12592

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 18:30:10 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lCUezWHsIwYy8+0tpRPt4LB2nOA=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 18:30 UTC

Kate B <elvira@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 16/11/2022 17:54, Mike Ruddock wrote:
>> Today I received an email with an attachment. The email was not very
>> informative:-
>>
>> The advertiser does not manage your subscription.
>> If you prefer not to receive further communication please unsubscribe here
>> Or write to: 34 N Franklin Ave Ste 687#2043, Pinedale, WY, 82941
>>
>> But the attachement made it clear that I was being offered some
>> protection with regard to an investment.
>> The name Monzo was often used and once I was told that Monzo was the
>> name of my bank (it isn't)
>>
>> This must be some sort of swindle No?
>>
>> Mike Ruddock
>
> Advice to the unwary - not usually a good idea to open an attachment
> from someone you don't know. I'd do a virus scan if I were you.
>
> It could also imply you had been spoofed in order to set up an account
> with Monzo. But the email and attachment don't seem to match?

Any such emails received here are forwarded faster than one can say
‘Hermes’ to report@phishing.gov.uk and never opened but the sender’s
address is added to the blocked list and moments later, it is deleted - Job
Done.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Puzzling email

<tl3cds$2covk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12594&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12594

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 19:07:40 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 19:07 UTC

On 16/11/2022 17:54, Mike Ruddock wrote:
> Today I received an email with an attachment. The email was not very
> informative:-
>
> The advertiser does not manage your subscription.
> If you prefer not to receive further communication please unsubscribe here
> Or write to: 34 N Franklin Ave Ste 687#2043, Pinedale, WY, 82941
>
> But the attachement made it clear that I was being offered some
> protection with regard to an investment.
> The name Monzo was often used and once I was told that Monzo was the
> name of my bank (it isn't)
>
> This must be some sort of swindle No?
>
> Mike Ruddock

A phishing scam originating in India, allegedly.

john

Re: Puzzling email

<2tcanh96gfbjco2l0sqfg4vd0h9u49jfuq@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12595&group=uk.media.radio.archers#12595

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 19:26:06 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 16 Nov 2022 19:26 UTC

On Wed, 16 Nov 2022 17:54:49 +0000, Mike Ruddock
<ruddock117@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Today I received an email with an attachment. The email was not very
>informative:-
>
>The advertiser does not manage your subscription.
>If you prefer not to receive further communication please unsubscribe here
>Or write to: 34 N Franklin Ave Ste 687#2043, Pinedale, WY, 82941
>
>But the attachement made it clear that I was being offered some
>protection with regard to an investment.
>The name Monzo was often used and once I was told that Monzo was the
>name of my bank (it isn't)
>
>This must be some sort of swindle No?

Yes.

The first Google entry (after the advertising) for the address you
mention reads: "SCSO confirms phishing scams..." (SCSO is Sublette
County Sheriff's Office which covers that address)

We've just had something similar happen over here. The bank
fortunately blocked the account after two unsuccessful attempts to
access it. Several hours of changing passwords and logins later we
think everything is now watertight but we are still wary.

Personally, I'd go with wot Kate sed: don't open any attachments and
if you already have, scan your machine very carefully before you use
it again. In fact, I'd personally scan my machine anyway. Once that's
done, I'd be inclined to change passwords on anything they may already
know e.g. the email address. And on anything linked to anything they
may already know. That may be a little OTT but it's what I'd do -
despite the obvious inconveniences.

Lately I've been wondering if, given Microsoft Antivirus and Firewall
and Updates etc have got so much better than they used to be, whether
it is still worth all the faff I go through to load a live Linux
instance every time I want to do stuff with money and/or passwords.
With what Liliana just went though and now your experience, Mike, I
tend to feel every caution is still worthwhile.

All the best,

Nick