Boy! Eucalyptus!

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Robot mower for larger lawns

SubjectAuthor
* Robot mower for larger lawnsnothanks
+* Re: Robot mower for larger lawnsDavid Hill
|`* Re: Robot mower for larger lawnsnothanks
| `* Re: Robot mower for larger lawnsnothanks
|  `* Re: Robot mower for larger lawnsDavid Rance
|   `* Re: Robot mower for larger lawnsNick Maclaren
|    +- Re: Robot mower for larger lawnsDavid Rance
|    +* Re: Robot mower for larger lawnsnothanks
|    |`- Re: Robot mower for larger lawnsVir Campestris
|    `* Re: Robot mower for larger lawnsAndy McC
|     `- Re: Robot mower for larger lawnsNick Maclaren
`- Re: Robot mower for larger lawnsChris Green

1
Robot mower for larger lawns

<insja9FqpmqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1265&group=uk.rec.gardening#1265

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Robot mower for larger lawns
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 14:31:53 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 13:31 UTC

Has anyone any direct experience of using robot mowers on larger lawns?
Any recommendations or mowers to avoid?

Re: Robot mower for larger lawns

<insmalFrd62U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1266&group=uk.rec.gardening#1266

From: dav...@abacus-nurseries.co.uk (David Hill)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Robot mower for larger lawns
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 15:23:17 +0100
 by: David Hill - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 14:23 UTC

On 15/08/2021 14:31, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> Has anyone any direct experience of using robot mowers on larger lawns?
> Any recommendations or mowers to avoid?

What do you call large?

Re: Robot mower for larger lawns

<insmroFrg31U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1267&group=uk.rec.gardening#1267

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 15:32:24 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 14:32 UTC

On 15/08/2021 15:23, David Hill wrote:
> On 15/08/2021 14:31, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>> Has anyone any direct experience of using robot mowers on larger
>> lawns? Any recommendations or mowers to avoid?
>

> What do you call large?

Say, 1000-2000m2

Re: Robot mower for larger lawns

<1dnnuh-mn102.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1269&group=uk.rec.gardening#1269

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 16:10:57 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 15:10 UTC

nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> Has anyone any direct experience of using robot mowers on larger lawns?

What's a larger lawn? 1000m2, 10000m2, 100000m2, or more?

> Any recommendations or mowers to avoid?

One's that don't work.

--
Chris Green
ยท

Re: Robot mower for larger lawns

<ioa18dFfb7iU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1310&group=uk.rec.gardening#1310

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 16:49:33 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 15:49 UTC

On 15/08/2021 15:32, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> On 15/08/2021 15:23, David Hill wrote:
>> On 15/08/2021 14:31, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>>> Has anyone any direct experience of using robot mowers on larger
>>> lawns? Any recommendations or mowers to avoid?
>>

>> What do you call large?
>>
> Say, 1000-2000m2
Is nobody here using the things?

Re: Robot mower for larger lawns

<bo52sXrSJ+HhFwGx@david.rance.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1313&group=uk.rec.gardening#1313

From: david.ra...@SPAMOFF.invalid (David Rance)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 18:11:46 +0100
 by: David Rance - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 17:11 UTC

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 16:49:33 someone wrote:

>On 15/08/2021 15:32, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>>>

>>> What do you call large?
>>>
>> Say, 1000-2000m2
>Is nobody here using the things?

No, but I'm thinking of getting one, so I would have been interested in
seeing a discussion about it.

I have a small(ish) lawn in Reading, some of which, because of the
lockdown, I've dug up for vegetables. I have getting on for two acres of
meadow in France, which I haven't been able to visit since November
2019! So robot mowers of all sizes are of interest to me.

David

Re: Robot mower for larger lawns

<sfouql$5o9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1314&group=uk.rec.gardening#1314

From: nmm...@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 19:12:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 19:12 UTC

In article <bo52sXrSJ+HhFwGx@david.rance.org.uk>,
David Rance <david.rance@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote:
>On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 16:49:33 someone wrote:

>>> Say, 1000-2000m2
>>Is nobody here using the things?
>
>No, but I'm thinking of getting one, so I would have been interested in
>seeing a discussion about it.
>
>I have a small(ish) lawn in Reading, some of which, because of the
>lockdown, I've dug up for vegetables. I have getting on for two acres of
>meadow in France, which I haven't been able to visit since November
>2019! So robot mowers of all sizes are of interest to me.

If you think that you can control a robot mower over the Internet,
what will you give me for Brooklyn bridge?

I have what the OP calls a larger lawn, and I really can't see the
point. Yes, mowing is a little tedious, but it doesn't take long
with an appropriate machine.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: Robot mower for larger lawns

<E7MB4Cv4TMIhFwd3@david.rance.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1318&group=uk.rec.gardening#1318

From: david.ra...@SPAMOFF.invalid (David Rance)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 10:18:48 +0100
 by: David Rance - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 09:18 UTC

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 19:12:21 Nick Maclaren wrote:

>In article <bo52sXrSJ+HhFwGx@david.rance.org.uk>,
>David Rance <david.rance@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote:

>>>Is nobody here using the things?
>>
>>No, but I'm thinking of getting one, so I would have been interested in
>>seeing a discussion about it.
>>
>>I have a small(ish) lawn in Reading, some of which, because of the
>>lockdown, I've dug up for vegetables. I have getting on for two acres of
>>meadow in France, which I haven't been able to visit since November
>>2019! So robot mowers of all sizes are of interest to me.
>
>If you think that you can control a robot mower over the Internet,
>what will you give me for Brooklyn bridge?

Ah, controlling it over the Internet? I hadn't thought of that although
my post might have suggested I had! I haven't even got as far as
controlling my home from the Internet!

No, at the moment I'm just looking at what robot mowers can do. I don't
honestly think that it would be a good thing for my two acre meadow for
several reasons, the main one being that moles, voles and ants make it
impossible to keep flat. But I still want to find out about them. Just
curiosity!

A couple of years ago I was in France with a granddaughter visiting a
garden machinery centre (I'd taken some tools in for maintenance). As we
drove out she said "look!" and pointed at a dinky little robot mower on
a little patch of grass. We stopped and watched it for a few minutes,
absolutely fascinated. Couldn't quite understand why this firm was
demonstrating something so obviously for a small garden when they deal
mainly with agricultural machinery! Probably it was just to put the idea
into people's minds, which it certainly did for me!

David

Re: Robot mower for larger lawns

<iobvcfFqj8tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1319&group=uk.rec.gardening#1319

From: notha...@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 10:29:50 +0100
 by: notha...@aolbin.com - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 09:29 UTC

On 20/08/2021 20:12, Nick Maclaren wrote:
> In article <bo52sXrSJ+HhFwGx@david.rance.org.uk>,
> David Rance <david.rance@SPAMOFF.invalid> wrote:

>>> Is nobody here using the things?
>>
>> No, but I'm thinking of getting one, so I would have been interested in
>> seeing a discussion about it.
>>
>> I have a small(ish) lawn in Reading, some of which, because of the
>> lockdown, I've dug up for vegetables. I have getting on for two acres of
>> meadow in France, which I haven't been able to visit since November
>> 2019! So robot mowers of all sizes are of interest to me.
>
> If you think that you can control a robot mower over the Internet,
> what will you give me for Brooklyn bridge?
>
> I have what the OP calls a larger lawn, and I really can't see the
> point. Yes, mowing is a little tedious, but it doesn't take long
> with an appropriate machine.
>

> Regards,
> Nick Maclaren.

I don't mind rattling around with the Countax once every 7-10 days but I
can think of better things to do, and dealing with the cuttings is a bit
of a problem. I don't use (or have) a mulching deck because I'd need to
cut much more frequently, so there's an appeal in having something
slowly wandering-about all the time and gently mulching - better for the
lawn and no cuttings to dispose of. We actually have 3 lawns (about
1400, 1600 and 1000 m2 ignoring flower beds, trees and other "stuff") so
I was thinking of continuing to stripe the main one (1400) and leaving
the robot to mulch the other two, but these things are expensive and I'm
loath to part with that much cash without a lot more investigation and
(ideally) finding others who have already taken the plunge.

Re: Robot mower for larger lawns

<2bb13d92-3588-4dde-b86e-d17bec564fefn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1322&group=uk.rec.gardening#1322

Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 02:07:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: andy.mcc...@icloud.com (Andy McC)
 by: Andy McC - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 09:07 UTC

On Friday, August 20, 2021 at 8:12:22 PM UTC+1, Nick Maclaren wrote:

> If you think that you can control a robot mower over the Internet,
> what will you give me for Brooklyn bridge?

https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/landing/robotic-lawnmowers/indego-app

Cheers,
Andy

Re: Robot mower for larger lawns

<sg0hpa$ob$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1323&group=uk.rec.gardening#1323

From: nmm...@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 16:18:50 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Mon, 23 Aug 2021 16:18 UTC

In article <2bb13d92-3588-4dde-b86e-d17bec564fefn@googlegroups.com>,
Andy McC <andy.mcclelland@icloud.com> wrote:
>On Friday, August 20, 2021 at 8:12:22 PM UTC+1, Nick Maclaren wrote:
>
>> If you think that you can control a robot mower over the Internet,
>> what will you give me for Brooklyn bridge?
>
>https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/landing/robotic-lawnmowers/indego-app

So what WILL you give me for Brooklyn bridge?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: Robot mower for larger lawns

<sg8t0s$4he$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1325&group=uk.rec.gardening#1325

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 21:19:40 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Thu, 26 Aug 2021 20:19 UTC

On 21/08/2021 10:29, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:

> I don't mind rattling around with the Countax once every 7-10 days but I
> can think of better things to do, and dealing with the cuttings is a bit
> of a problem. I don't use (or have) a mulching deck because I'd need to
> cut much more frequently, so there's an appeal in having something
> slowly wandering-about all the time and gently mulching - better for the
> lawn and no cuttings to dispose of. We actually have 3 lawns (about
> 1400, 1600 and 1000 m2 ignoring flower beds, trees and other "stuff") so
> I was thinking of continuing to stripe the main one (1400) and leaving
> the robot to mulch the other two, but these things are expensive and I'm
> loath to part with that much cash without a lot more investigation and
> (ideally) finding others who have already taken the plunge.

I looked at these when we moved here and my old electric mower wasn't
enough any more.

When I realised I would have to bury a perimeter wire to tell it when to
stop, and that the result of a detection failure would be for it to fall
in the pond, I gave up on the idea.

Andy