19 May, 2024: Line wrapping has been changed to be more consistent with Usenet standards.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)

SubjectAuthor
* What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)Kendrick Kerwin Chua
+- Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)Russell Marks
`* Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)Jaimie Vandenbergh
 `* Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)gunthergloop
  +* Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)John Dow
  |`* Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)gunthergloop
  | `- Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)John Dow
  `* Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)Jaimie Vandenbergh
   `* Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)gunthergloop
    `- Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)Jaimie Vandenbergh

1
What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)

<646dnSmerOMK-t7-nZ2dnZfqnPidnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1252&group=uk.games.video.misc#1252

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 00:30:15 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 00:30 UTC

So whenever they say that they want a government to ensure that the
trains run on time, I never really think they mean that literally.

Play:
--=--

Street Fighter Alpha Anthology (PS2) - I have all the SF Alpha games
separately on many different platforms, notably the near arcade-perfect
Alpha 2 on the Saturn, as well as Alpha 3 on the Dreamcast and its
inferior cousin on the original Playstation. Having them all together to
compare, some 25 years later, I'm struck by how primitive the animation
is even though I remember it being silky smooth and beautiful to look
at. It probably makes a difference that my PS2 is connected to a big 4K
LCD screen now rather than a raster tube, which is never going to work
out correctly.

Metal Slug Anthology (PS2) - It's a good thing I have a proper PS2 disc
now to go with my PS4 reissue of the PS2 code and the version I bought
at launch for the PSP. Playing this on the big screen reminds me that
back in the day I thought it was a quantum leap in terms of graphical
capability and animation style from one game to the next, but being able
to see them all next to each other I realise how similar they really
are. They're also vicious coin sinks, which matters less in their home
ports but makes them less fun overall.

Want:
--=--

Elden Ring (PS5) - Yes, I've ordered it. This is all but guaranteed to
result in a consolidated disc with all the DLC and updates being issued
in a few weeks, and then I'll buy *that* too.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $3,527

Elden Ring (PS5) - $50

Total to date - $3,577

-KKC, who wishes he got more cleaning done too.

Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)

<7PY0L.722688$14z3.52329@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1253&group=uk.games.video.misc#1253

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2022 17:41:23 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 17:41 UTC

> Play:

Minetest (Linux) - more messing about with an abandoned dungeon
effectively chopped in half by a cliffside. For some reason I enjoy
these ones the most, I don't know if that's because two aspects of the
game are effectively conflicting, or because they're just so much
easier to spot. :-)

> Metal Slug Anthology (PS2) - It's a good thing I have a proper PS2 disc
[...]
> are. They're also vicious coin sinks, which matters less in their home
> ports but makes them less fun overall.

I'm sufficiently bad at Metal Slug that I treat continues as one of
the underlying game mechanics, like having to eat food in Nethack or
something. It's probably for the best that I've never played the games
in an arcade.

> Want:

Probably to try the later Metal Slug games at some point, though I'm
sure I'd be impressively rubbish at them. I think MS3 was the last I
played, or rather, died my way through.

> Bin:

Nothing.

-Rus.

Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)

<jqja86Fgr52U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1255&group=uk.games.video.misc#1255

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 10 Oct 2022 19:31:18 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 10 Oct 2022 19:31 UTC

On 10 Oct 2022 at 01:30:15 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
<kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> So whenever they say that they want a government to ensure that the
> trains run on time, I never really think they mean that literally.
>
> Play:
> --=--

Very little. Return to Monkey Island chapters 2, 3 and 4 passed in a
single sitting, then I got completely stuck after only doing a couple of
things in chapter 5. It's still just as good as it started, although
I've heard noises that the end is crap. But so was the end of Monkey 2
so that's probably ok.

The only other thing I've been doing game-relatedly is beta-testing
releases of Cemu for macOS, which is using the molten-vk library to
translate Vulkan to Metal, and also in my case the Rosetta library to
convert Intel to Arm, after originally converting PowerPC to Intel. It's
a remarkable hodgepodge, but it works. On my M1 MBP it's about 20fps in
Windwaker HD, and 12fps in BotW, but there's a hefty speed regression
being searched for. On an M2 WWHD gets close to 40fps.

When I can be bothered I'm going to unpack the iMac Pro and see how that
handles it - it's the fancier gpu, ~1080 equivalent, so I'm hoping for
decent framerates.

> Want:
> --=--

Tears of the Kingdom. Although I suppose I'll have to crack my Switch
and set up an emulator, as the real Switch frame rate will be
diabolical.

A paper copy of Mickey Collins to pop on the shelf next to The Leaving
Cert.

> Bin:
> -==-

Crap tubes.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I love children, especially when they cry, for then someone takes them away.
-- Nancy Mitford

Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)

<2Va1L.160932$w1nd.61042@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1257&group=uk.games.video.misc#1257

From: new...@kevinfSPAMNOorde.com (gunthergloop)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2022 10:43:27 +0100
 by: gunthergloop - Tue, 11 Oct 2022 09:43 UTC

On 10/10/2022 20:31, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>> Want:
>> --=--
>
> A paper copy of Mickey Collins to pop on the shelf next to The Leaving
> Cert.

lol. I would send you a copy, honestly, but shipping costs have gone
crazy - it now costs more than the price of the book to post it to
Britain. A few years back, it would've been €1.25. Crazy! ...If you
haven't ordered it yet online, there is a lovely hardback option on
Amazon, but you need to first select "Books" before searching for Mickey
Collins. In the US, it's even worse - need to search "Mickey Collins
Kevin Forde" before it shows!? I'm sure that will iron itself out.

Either way, I think I make more on a Kindle sale than any other format -
and if you see the price of the Kindle version, that says a lot.

ANYWAY! Sorry for coming in here, ranting and panting. I would talk
about games, GLADLY, if I found anything decent I wanted to actually,
like, play... but that reminds me GLADOS! ...I bought Portal 2 on Switch
and loved it (and the re-vamped Portal) all over again. Great fun and
excellent games, both.

-Kevin.

Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)

<slrntkfpdp.42b2.jmd@achilles.bio.ed.ac.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1258&group=uk.games.video.misc#1258

From: jmd...@nelefa.org (John Dow)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 10:17:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Dow - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 10:17 UTC

On 2022-10-11, gunthergloop <news1@kevinfSPAMNOorde.com> wrote:
> On 10/10/2022 20:31, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>>> Want:
>>> --=--
>>
>> A paper copy of Mickey Collins to pop on the shelf next to The Leaving
>> Cert.
>>

> Either way, I think I make more on a Kindle sale than any other format -
> and if you see the price of the Kindle version, that says a lot.

I noted the price, shortly before hitting the buy button. Good luck with it!
"Careless Talk" paid my electric bill for the better part of a year until
I stopped actively promoting it and people twigged that I'm far to lazy to
write the sequel :)

John Dow <jmd@nelefa.org.invalid>
... Blog & Game Diary : http://www.nelefa.org
/|\ Constructed using SLRN and Vi.
/ | \ Zomoniac is Wrong. Fact.

Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)

<pBZ1L.950787$JNZ4.782544@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1259&group=uk.games.video.misc#1259

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: new...@kevinfSPAMNOorde.com (gunthergloop)
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 20:24:08 +0100
 by: gunthergloop - Thu, 13 Oct 2022 19:24 UTC

On 13/10/2022 11:17, John Dow wrote:

>>> A paper copy of Mickey Collins to pop on the shelf next to The Leaving
>>> Cert.
>>>

>> Either way, I think I make more on a Kindle sale than any other format -
>> and if you see the price of the Kindle version, that says a lot.
>
> I noted the price, shortly before hitting the buy button. Good luck with it!
> "Careless Talk" paid my electric bill for the better part of a year until
> I stopped actively promoting it and people twigged that I'm far to lazy to
> write the sequel :)

Wayhay! Cheers! Yours does seem to be well-received. Genre is key to
building a fanbase, I know. Almost everyone, it seems, sticks to one
milieu when reading, which f*^%s me up. >< ><

I have one "scary"/ "otherworldly" book on my shelf for around 10 years
and I've not gotten around to reading it. The Unburied - by an author
who wrote one of my favourite books (The Quincunx), Charles Palliser. I
don't know why it is, but I seem to have a block. I mean, I don't mind
being "frightened", and I'm sure it's very well told. (And likely not
even frightening.)

....Reminds me of another book by another favourite author of mine... I
don't know how many times I began reading Daphne DuMaurier's Jamaica
Inn, but for some reason I have a mental block - I can't get through a
few pages.. think I made it around 50 pages in once. I'm sure it's a
great read, like all the others of hers that I read, and it's not a
horrror/ scarefest type tale by any means... just, for some reason I
can't get past my own expectations of it and just _read_ the damn thing.

It's my fault, I have no doubt. ...All that to go some way to explaining
that, although I did purchase yours, I never read it and that's not to
put it down in any way. Seems well received and I hope you write the
sequel many are waiting for! (DO IT! DO IT!)

And if you get past all that and do actually read Mickey Collins, I hope
you enjoy it!

-Kevin.

Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)

<jqt8heFpfbeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1260&group=uk.games.video.misc#1260

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 14 Oct 2022 14:03:26 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 14:03 UTC

On 11 Oct 2022 at 10:43:27 BST, "gunthergloop"
<news1@kevinfSPAMNOorde.com> wrote:

> On 10/10/2022 20:31, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>>> Want:
>>> --=--
>>
>> A paper copy of Mickey Collins to pop on the shelf next to The Leaving
>> Cert.
>>

> lol. I would send you a copy, honestly, but shipping costs have gone
> crazy - it now costs more than the price of the book to post it to
> Britain. A few years back, it would've been €1.25. Crazy! ...If you
> haven't ordered it yet online, there is a lovely hardback option on
> Amazon, but you need to first select "Books" before searching for Mickey
> Collins. In the US, it's even worse - need to search "Mickey Collins
> Kevin Forde" before it shows!? I'm sure that will iron itself out.

Only seeing the kindle and paperbacks now. But also The Empathy Stone? I
didn't know about that!

> Either way, I think I make more on a Kindle sale than any other format -
> and if you see the price of the Kindle version, that says a lot.

Oof. Yeah. I always try and buy in hardback or (often and) electronic,
for the author's benefit.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
"For our younger readers - books are hardened bits
of the internet that have fallen off."

Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)

<0xf2L.293136$THq2.283740@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1261&group=uk.games.video.misc#1261

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
From: new...@kevinfSPAMNOorde.com (gunthergloop)
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 16:48:16 +0100
 by: gunthergloop - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 15:48 UTC

On 14/10/2022 15:03, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 11 Oct 2022 at 10:43:27 BST, "gunthergloop"
> <news1@kevinfSPAMNOorde.com> wrote:

>>> A paper copy of Mickey Collins to pop on the shelf next to The Leaving
>>> Cert.
>>>

>> lol. I would send you a copy, honestly, but shipping costs have gone
>> crazy - it now costs more than the price of the book to post it to
>> Britain. A few years back, it would've been €1.25. Crazy! ...If you
>> haven't ordered it yet online, there is a lovely hardback option on
>> Amazon, but you need to first select "Books" before searching for Mickey
>> Collins. In the US, it's even worse - need to search "Mickey Collins
>> Kevin Forde" before it shows!? I'm sure that will iron itself out.
>
> Only seeing the kindle and paperbacks now. But also The Empathy Stone? I
> didn't know about that!

The Empathy Stone was formerly published as OOYAY. Same book, slightly
enhanced with more editing/ free-flowing sentences. Sorry for any
confusion, but the blurb should make that clear

>> Either way, I think I make more on a Kindle sale than any other format -
>> and if you see the price of the Kindle version, that says a lot.
>
> Oof. Yeah. I always try and buy in hardback or (often and) electronic,
> for the author's benefit.

Thanks either way. Any recommendation to others - or a book-club, if you
know of one, would be great. It's funny how angry some people get with
the subject matter. I put it down to misunderstanding where it's coming
from/ what is being conveyed. I've heard from 2 who were livid at the
beginning but are its greatest fans by the end. I find that hilarious.
Most people seem to "get" it, though.
....But anyway <ahem!> I don't want to occupy too much space here. -
Apologies to all, normal service to be resumed an' all that..

-Kevin.

Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)

<jqtff4Fqh70U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1262&group=uk.games.video.misc#1262

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 14 Oct 2022 16:01:40 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 16:01 UTC

On 14 Oct 2022 at 16:48:16 BST, "gunthergloop"
<news1@kevinfSPAMNOorde.com> wrote:

> On 14/10/2022 15:03, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>> On 11 Oct 2022 at 10:43:27 BST, "gunthergloop"
>> <news1@kevinfSPAMNOorde.com> wrote:

>>> lol. I would send you a copy, honestly, but shipping costs have gone
>>> crazy - it now costs more than the price of the book to post it to
>>> Britain. A few years back, it would've been €1.25. Crazy! ...If you
>>> haven't ordered it yet online, there is a lovely hardback option on
>>> Amazon, but you need to first select "Books" before searching for Mickey
>>> Collins. In the US, it's even worse - need to search "Mickey Collins
>>> Kevin Forde" before it shows!? I'm sure that will iron itself out.
>>
>> Only seeing the kindle and paperbacks now. But also The Empathy Stone? I
>> didn't know about that!
>>

> The Empathy Stone was formerly published as OOYAY. Same book, slightly
> enhanced with more editing/ free-flowing sentences. Sorry for any
> confusion, but the blurb should make that clear

Ah! Nice. Didn't have OOYAY in paper anyway, so.

> Thanks either way. Any recommendation to others - or a book-club, if you
> know of one, would be great. It's funny how angry some people get with
> the subject matter. I put it down to misunderstanding where it's coming
> from/ what is being conveyed. I've heard from 2 who were livid at the
> beginning but are its greatest fans by the end. I find that hilarious.

Heh. Yeah, I can totally see that.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"Some people think that noise abatement should be a higher
priority for ATC. I say safety is noise abatement. You have no

Re: What Happened To The Trains Play Want Bin (PWBE 10 Oct 2022)

<slrntktsi6.9ihe.jmd@achilles.bio.ed.ac.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1267&group=uk.games.video.misc#1267

From: jmd...@nelefa.org (John Dow)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 18:36:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Dow - Tue, 18 Oct 2022 18:36 UTC

On 2022-10-13, gunthergloop <news1@kevinfSPAMNOorde.com> wrote:

> And if you get past all that and do actually read Mickey Collins, I hope
> you enjoy it!

Just about to start, having just finished the utterly wonderful China
Mountain Zhang by Maureen McHugh. I'll let you know :)