From: NOTsome...@microsoft.com (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Battery issue on old Dell laptop
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 09:32:39 +0100
 by: GB - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 08:32 UTC

This is a Dell 3531, 7 years old.

There are diagnostics available at startup, by pressing F12. These show
the 'battery health' at 87%, which I think means that the capacity is
87% of what it would have been new. It also shows the battery and
charger as healthy.

However, when plugged in, the charging system only charges the battery
up to 61%. Then, it switches the charger status from 'charging' to idle.
So, to be clear: I disconnect the charger and run some diagnostics.
Then I plug the charger in, and it shows charging until it reaches 61%,
then switches to idle.

Any idea what's going on?

I did think of running diagnostics with the charger disconnected until
the battery runs right down. Is that a good idea?

Re: Battery issue on old Dell laptop

<e50b67c8-de00-744f-59a0-7beb83160536@outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1272&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1272

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Battery issue on old Dell laptop
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 10:27:11 +0100
 by: Robin - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 09:27 UTC

On 13/08/2021 09:32, GB wrote:
> This is a Dell 3531, 7 years old.
>
> There are diagnostics available at startup, by pressing F12. These show
> the 'battery health' at 87%, which I think means that the capacity is
> 87% of what it would have been new. It also shows the battery and
> charger as healthy.
>
> However, when plugged in, the charging system only charges the battery
> up to 61%. Then, it switches the charger status from 'charging' to idle.
>  So, to be clear: I disconnect the charger and run some diagnostics.
> Then I plug the charger in, and it shows charging until it reaches 61%,
> then switches to idle.
>
> Any idea what's going on?
>
> I did think of running diagnostics with the charger disconnected until
> the battery runs right down. Is that a good idea?

I CBA'd to check on that model but any chance it has - and has enabled -
the "Desktop Mode" which stops the battery being charged to 100%?

--
Robin

Re: Battery issue on old Dell laptop

<sf5jsg$p7u$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1275&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1275

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.com (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 12:09:05 +0100
 by: GB - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 11:09 UTC

On 13/08/2021 10:27, Robin wrote:
> On 13/08/2021 09:32, GB wrote:
>> This is a Dell 3531, 7 years old.
>>
>> There are diagnostics available at startup, by pressing F12. These
>> show the 'battery health' at 87%, which I think means that the
>> capacity is 87% of what it would have been new. It also shows the
>> battery and charger as healthy.
>>
>> However, when plugged in, the charging system only charges the battery
>> up to 61%. Then, it switches the charger status from 'charging' to
>> idle.   So, to be clear: I disconnect the charger and run some
>> diagnostics. Then I plug the charger in, and it shows charging until
>> it reaches 61%, then switches to idle.
>>
>> Any idea what's going on?
>>
>> I did think of running diagnostics with the charger disconnected until
>> the battery runs right down. Is that a good idea?
>
> I CBA'd to check on that model but any chance it has - and has enabled -
> the "Desktop Mode" which stops the battery being charged to 100%?

Hi. Thanks for the suggestion, but battery saver is not on. In any case,
the diagnostics don't run under windows.

Re: Battery issue on old Dell laptop

<5a71413e-eb8b-26ae-66e8-55d6b43258a1@outlook.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1276&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1276

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 13:27:19 +0100
 by: Robin - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 12:27 UTC

On 13/08/2021 12:09, GB wrote:
> On 13/08/2021 10:27, Robin wrote:
>> On 13/08/2021 09:32, GB wrote:
>>> This is a Dell 3531, 7 years old.
>>>
>>> There are diagnostics available at startup, by pressing F12. These
>>> show the 'battery health' at 87%, which I think means that the
>>> capacity is 87% of what it would have been new. It also shows the
>>> battery and charger as healthy.
>>>
>>> However, when plugged in, the charging system only charges the
>>> battery up to 61%. Then, it switches the charger status from
>>> 'charging' to idle.   So, to be clear: I disconnect the charger and
>>> run some diagnostics. Then I plug the charger in, and it shows
>>> charging until it reaches 61%, then switches to idle.
>>>
>>> Any idea what's going on?
>>>
>>> I did think of running diagnostics with the charger disconnected
>>> until the battery runs right down. Is that a good idea?
>>
>> I CBA'd to check on that model but any chance it has - and has enabled
>> - the "Desktop Mode" which stops the battery being charged to 100%?
>>

> Hi. Thanks for the suggestion, but battery saver is not on. In any case,
> the diagnostics don't run under windows.

"Desktop mode" may well have been the wrong term as the setting I recall
was not in Windows but in the BIOS power management options where you
could set battery charging levels. But none of thems was a 3531.

--
Robin

Re: Battery issue on old Dell laptop

<sf6kh3$63m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1278&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1278

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.com (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 21:26:11 +0100
 by: GB - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 20:26 UTC

On 13/08/2021 13:27, Robin wrote:
> On 13/08/2021 12:09, GB wrote:

>>> I CBA'd to check on that model but any chance it has - and has
>>> enabled - the "Desktop Mode" which stops the battery being charged to
>>> 100%?
>>>

>> Hi. Thanks for the suggestion, but battery saver is not on. In any
>> case, the diagnostics don't run under windows.
>
> "Desktop mode" may well have been the wrong term as the setting I recall
> was not in Windows but in the BIOS power management options where you
> could set battery charging levels.  But none of thems was a 3531.

I don't recall that in the BIOS, but I'll look now.

Re: Battery issue on old Dell laptop

<sfavab$8t0$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1289&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1289

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.com (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 12:54:52 +0100
 by: GB - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 11:54 UTC

On 13/08/2021 13:27, Robin wrote:
> On 13/08/2021 12:09, GB wrote:

>>> I CBA'd to check on that model but any chance it has - and has
>>> enabled - the "Desktop Mode" which stops the battery being charged to
>>> 100%?
>>>

>> Hi. Thanks for the suggestion, but battery saver is not on. In any
>> case, the diagnostics don't run under windows.
>
> "Desktop mode" may well have been the wrong term as the setting I recall
> was not in Windows but in the BIOS power management options where you
> could set battery charging levels.  But none of thems was a 3531.

In the end, I disconnected the charger and ran the battery right down.
It then recharged to 87%. I do wonder whether this was just a
calibration issue, ie the computer can't directly measure the charge in
the battery?