Be cheerful while you are alive. -- Phathotep, 24th Century B.C.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Indiana Jones on the NYMR

SubjectAuthor
* Indiana Jones on the NYMRRecliner
+- Indiana Jones on the NYMRMrSpook 7w5z
+* Indiana Jones on the NYMRAnna Noyd-Dryver
|+* Indiana Jones on the NYMRRecliner
||`* Indiana Jones on the NYMRChristopher A. Lee
|| `* Indiana Jones on the NYMRRecliner
||  `* Indiana Jones on the NYMRChristopher A. Lee
||   `* Indiana Jones on the NYMRJeremy Double
||    +* Indiana Jones on the NYMRRecliner
||    |`* Indiana Jones on the NYMRSam Wilson
||    | `* Indiana Jones on the NYMRRecliner
||    |  `* Indiana Jones on the NYMRSam Wilson
||    |   +* Indiana Jones on the NYMRSam Wilson
||    |   |`* Indiana Jones on the NYMRRecliner
||    |   | `* Indiana Jones on the NYMRAlan
||    |   |  +- Indiana Jones on the NYMRSam Wilson
||    |   |  +* Indiana Jones on the NYMRJeremy Double
||    |   |  |`- Indiana Jones on the NYMRRoland Perry
||    |   |  `- Indiana Jones on the NYMRMark Goodge
||    |   `- Indiana Jones on the NYMRBevan Price
||    `- Indiana Jones on the NYMRRoland Perry
|`- Indiana Jones on the NYMRRecliner
`* Indiana Jones on the NYMRMB
 `- Indiana Jones on the NYMRRecliner

1
Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<s9sj49$gov$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1272&group=uk.railway#1272

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Indiana Jones on the NYMR
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 08:39:37 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:1DapV8e5Q2bQxn19flgIFHUzXxs=
 by: Recliner - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 08:39 UTC

Harrison Ford joins North Shields locals for lunch at Indiana Jones filming

<https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ea3ac524-c96c-11eb-b6f5-fed739e7c1ca?shareToken=823c8e16306231f127e3e8ff1be208eb>

The filming of Disney’s Indiana Jones 5 has caused ripples of excitement
across the region. Bamburgh Castle, which has stood guard above the
Northumberland coastline for more than 1,400 years, is among the locations.

It has been decked out in war defences, with barbed wire and sandbags at
the entrance. A notice on its website says the castle is shut until June 14
for filming. Residents living near by have been told to expect gunshots and
explosions.

Filming began this week at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. Residents in
Grosmont, a village near Scarborough, reported seeing props such as tanks,
guard towers and Nazi uniforms.

The film, which also stars Phoebe Waller-Bridge, is due for release in July
next year.

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<s9sk17$1t0h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1275&group=uk.railway#1275

From: MrSpook_...@oz3da4h89zcdkcbqcjw.info
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 08:55:03 +0000 (UTC)
 by: MrSpook_...@oz3da4h89zcdkcbqcjw.info - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 08:55 UTC

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 08:39:37 -0000 (UTC)
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>Harrison Ford joins North Shields locals for lunch at Indiana Jones filming

Hope he had a translator available.

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<s9srt9$b4c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1282&group=uk.railway#1282

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 11:09:30 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:wD9/S05BwazLvHfW9pEryRMXm4I=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 11:09 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Harrison Ford joins North Shields locals for lunch at Indiana Jones filming
>
> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ea3ac524-c96c-11eb-b6f5-fed739e7c1ca?shareToken=823c8e16306231f127e3e8ff1be208eb>
>
> The filming of Disney’s Indiana Jones 5 has caused ripples of excitement
> across the region. Bamburgh Castle, which has stood guard above the
> Northumberland coastline for more than 1,400 years, is among the locations.
>
> It has been decked out in war defences, with barbed wire and sandbags at
> the entrance. A notice on its website says the castle is shut until June 14
> for filming. Residents living near by have been told to expect gunshots and
> explosions.
>
> Filming began this week at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. Residents in
> Grosmont, a village near Scarborough, reported seeing props such as tanks,
> guard towers and Nazi uniforms.
>
> The film, which also stars Phoebe Waller-Bridge, is due for release in July
> next year.

A 9F has been repainted into a suitable appearance for the film.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<pg04cghf1i0n2a8amhkk7dtf1acnqepn9s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1288&group=uk.railway#1288

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 13:15:18 +0100
 by: Recliner - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 12:15 UTC

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 11:09:30 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:

>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Harrison Ford joins North Shields locals for lunch at Indiana Jones filming
>>
>> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ea3ac524-c96c-11eb-b6f5-fed739e7c1ca?shareToken=823c8e16306231f127e3e8ff1be208eb>
>>
>> The filming of Disney’s Indiana Jones 5 has caused ripples of excitement
>> across the region. Bamburgh Castle, which has stood guard above the
>> Northumberland coastline for more than 1,400 years, is among the locations.
>>
>> It has been decked out in war defences, with barbed wire and sandbags at
>> the entrance. A notice on its website says the castle is shut until June 14
>> for filming. Residents living near by have been told to expect gunshots and
>> explosions.
>>
>> Filming began this week at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. Residents in
>> Grosmont, a village near Scarborough, reported seeing props such as tanks,
>> guard towers and Nazi uniforms.
>>
>> The film, which also stars Phoebe Waller-Bridge, is due for release in July
>> next year.
>>

>A 9F has been repainted into a suitable appearance for the film.

Yes, I gather it's standing in for a Kriegslok.

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<8114cg1kfsr63r3hfr6oob106d03dv2rf4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1297&group=uk.railway#1297

From: c.l...@fairpoint.net (Christopher A. Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 08:32:43 -0500
 by: Christopher A. Lee - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 13:32 UTC

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 13:15:18 +0100, Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 11:09:30 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>
>>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Harrison Ford joins North Shields locals for lunch at Indiana Jones filming
>>>
>>> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ea3ac524-c96c-11eb-b6f5-fed739e7c1ca?shareToken=823c8e16306231f127e3e8ff1be208eb>
>>>
>>> The filming of Disney’s Indiana Jones 5 has caused ripples of excitement
>>> across the region. Bamburgh Castle, which has stood guard above the
>>> Northumberland coastline for more than 1,400 years, is among the locations.
>>>
>>> It has been decked out in war defences, with barbed wire and sandbags at
>>> the entrance. A notice on its website says the castle is shut until June 14
>>> for filming. Residents living near by have been told to expect gunshots and
>>> explosions.
>>>
>>> Filming began this week at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. Residents in
>>> Grosmont, a village near Scarborough, reported seeing props such as tanks,
>>> guard towers and Nazi uniforms.
>>>
>>> The film, which also stars Phoebe Waller-Bridge, is due for release in July
>>> next year.
>>>

>>A 9F has been repainted into a suitable appearance for the film.
>
>Yes, I gather it's standing in for a Kriegslok.

If it's Bamburgh Castle, shouldn't they be using a Manning Wardle?

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<s9t77p$rdn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1305&group=uk.railway#1305

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:22:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:I24Bpe7ekiJhLnO8dVmSFF9CsmE=
 by: Recliner - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:22 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Harrison Ford joins North Shields locals for lunch at Indiana Jones filming
>>
>> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/ea3ac524-c96c-11eb-b6f5-fed739e7c1ca?shareToken=823c8e16306231f127e3e8ff1be208eb>
>>
>> The filming of Disney’s Indiana Jones 5 has caused ripples of excitement
>> across the region. Bamburgh Castle, which has stood guard above the
>> Northumberland coastline for more than 1,400 years, is among the locations.
>>
>> It has been decked out in war defences, with barbed wire and sandbags at
>> the entrance. A notice on its website says the castle is shut until June 14
>> for filming. Residents living near by have been told to expect gunshots and
>> explosions.
>>
>> Filming began this week at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. Residents in
>> Grosmont, a village near Scarborough, reported seeing props such as tanks,
>> guard towers and Nazi uniforms.
>>
>> The film, which also stars Phoebe Waller-Bridge, is due for release in July
>> next year.
>>

> A 9F has been repainted into a suitable appearance for the film.

Posted by: Russell Newman on Jun 5, 2021 @ 09:06:16

The unique sole surviving single chimney BR Standard 9F 2-10-0 No. 92134
has been transformed into a fictitious German locomotive No. 528039 for its
first film staring roll in the up coming 5th Indiana Jones Movie which is
being filmed at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway in the coming weeks as
the 9F has been dressed up as a German Troop Train for the film. Also the
North Yorkshire Moors Railway has used for filming for the upcoming 7th
Mission Impossible film which used a made up prop locomotive that looks
like a BR Britannia.

https://www.steamlocomotive.info/notelistingx.cfm?startval=1

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<s9t7d1$sf0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1307&group=uk.railway#1307

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:25:37 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:bC0HAsEZKVGVUlVDC99wRYx48qA=
 by: Recliner - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:25 UTC

Christopher A. Lee <c.lee@fairpoint.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 13:15:18 +0100, Recliner
> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> A 9F has been repainted into a suitable appearance for the film.
>>
>> Yes, I gather it's standing in for a Kriegslok.
>
> If it's Bamburgh Castle, shouldn't they be using a Manning Wardle?

Does it resemble a Kriegslok in wartime Germany???

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<beg4cg16g83j7vamv24e71ftjmtp4i0mgg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1320&group=uk.railway#1320

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder6.news.weretis.net!4.us.feeder.erje.net!2.eu.feeder.erje.net!feeder.erje.net!news.uzoreto.com!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer02.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: c.l...@fairpoint.net (Christopher A. Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 11:46:54 -0500
 by: Christopher A. Lee - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 16:46 UTC

On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:25:37 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>Christopher A. Lee <c.lee@fairpoint.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 13:15:18 +0100, Recliner
>> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, I gather it's standing in for a Kriegslok.
>>
>> If it's Bamburgh Castle, shouldn't they be using a Manning Wardle?
>>

>Does it resemble a Kriegslok in wartime Germany???

Does a 9F?

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<1674042706.645037673.240375.jmd.nospam-btinternet.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1327&group=uk.railway#1327

From: jmd.nos...@btinternet.com (Jeremy Double)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 10 Jun 2021 17:58:07 GMT
 by: Jeremy Double - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 17:58 UTC

Christopher A. Lee <c.lee@fairpoint.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:25:37 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Christopher A. Lee <c.lee@fairpoint.net> wrote:

>>> If it's Bamburgh Castle, shouldn't they be using a Manning Wardle?
>>>

>> Does it resemble a Kriegslok in wartime Germany???
>
> Does a 9F?

Decide for yourself:

Kriegslok (class 52): https://flic.kr/p/K9JbbJ and
https://flic.kr/p/2m4Q8ot

9F: https://flic.kr/p/2m4Mrim

--
Jeremy Double

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<s9tn5p$kvq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1331&group=uk.railway#1331

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 18:54:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:hjNDY8S4b8i4P5bgW+yYc7vK6Bc=
 by: Recliner - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 18:54 UTC

Jeremy Double <jmd.nospam@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Christopher A. Lee <c.lee@fairpoint.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 2021 14:25:37 -0000 (UTC), Recliner
>> <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Does it resemble a Kriegslok in wartime Germany???
>>
>> Does a 9F?
>
> Decide for yourself:
>
> Kriegslok (class 52): https://flic.kr/p/K9JbbJ and
> https://flic.kr/p/2m4Q8ot
>
> 9F: https://flic.kr/p/2m4Mrim

I think the most obvious difference is actually in the tenders. I wonder if
they've made any attempt to make the 9F tender look more Germanic?

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<s9u26c$mno$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1339&group=uk.railway#1339

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 23:03:22 +0100
 by: MB - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 22:03 UTC

On 10/06/2021 09:39, Recliner wrote:
> Harrison Ford joins North Shields locals for lunch at Indiana Jones filming

What is a "carrier engine"?

"Indiana Jones 5 FIRST LOOK: Crew transform a steam train into a Nazi
carrier engine in the North Yorkshire Moors as filming is set to finally
begin after long delays due to Covid"

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<s9u40r$g6a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1340&group=uk.railway#1340

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2021 22:34:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ZYcDvj0diO+/pIRp0/3u/fzyKHs=
 by: Recliner - Thu, 10 Jun 2021 22:34 UTC

MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 10/06/2021 09:39, Recliner wrote:
>> Harrison Ford joins North Shields locals for lunch at Indiana Jones filming
>
> What is a "carrier engine"?
>
> "Indiana Jones 5 FIRST LOOK: Crew transform a steam train into a Nazi
> carrier engine in the North Yorkshire Moors as filming is set to finally
> begin after long delays due to Covid"

It's a troop carrier train, supposedly hauled by a Kriegslok.

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<s9v8sn$tmj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1365&group=uk.railway#1365

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 09:03:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:zkUSD860fQic46egcvtilgRas68=
 by: Sam Wilson - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 09:03 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeremy Double <jmd.nospam@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Christopher A. Lee <c.lee@fairpoint.net> wrote:

>>> Does a 9F?
>>
>> Decide for yourself:
>>
>> Kriegslok (class 52): https://flic.kr/p/K9JbbJ and
>> https://flic.kr/p/2m4Q8ot
>>
>> 9F: https://flic.kr/p/2m4Mrim
>>

> I think the most obvious difference is actually in the tenders. I wonder if
> they've made any attempt to make the 9F tender look more Germanic?

And the smoke delfectors, and the plumbing. It would be good to see a 9F
in black with red running gear but I’m not sure that would be authentic war
time livery.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<s9v9gh$274$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1366&group=uk.railway#1366

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 09:13:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:KVgQPfkwGeZrqPpOU1XV6Chie5A=
 by: Recliner - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 09:13 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Jeremy Double <jmd.nospam@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> Decide for yourself:
>>>
>>> Kriegslok (class 52): https://flic.kr/p/K9JbbJ and
>>> https://flic.kr/p/2m4Q8ot
>>>
>>> 9F: https://flic.kr/p/2m4Mrim
>>>

>> I think the most obvious difference is actually in the tenders. I wonder if
>> they've made any attempt to make the 9F tender look more Germanic?
>
> And the smoke delfectors, and the plumbing. It would be good to see a 9F
> in black with red running gear but I’m not sure that would be authentic war
> time livery.

Wasn't the German wartime livery all-black? I don't think most people
would notice the plumbing, and the various Kriegsloks probably didn't all
have the same smoke deflectors. I wonder if it would be feasible to fit
different smoke deflectors to the 9F for the filming? But the boxy
British-style tender just looks wrong.

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<s9vc1i$itp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1373&group=uk.railway#1373

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 09:57:06 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:tAtCPZBGJn6absqhQdK4HxIJtl8=
 by: Sam Wilson - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 09:57 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think the most obvious difference is actually in the tenders. I wonder if
>>> they've made any attempt to make the 9F tender look more Germanic?
>>
>> And the smoke delfectors, and the plumbing. It would be good to see a 9F
>> in black with red running gear but I’m not sure that would be authentic war
>> time livery.
>>

> Wasn't the German wartime livery all-black? …

I think so, but one of the photos above shows black and red and I’ve always
liked it.

> … I don't think most people
> would notice the plumbing, and the various Kriegsloks probably didn't all
> have the same smoke deflectors. I wonder if it would be feasible to fit
> different smoke deflectors to the 9F for the filming? But the boxy
> British-style tender just looks wrong.

To me it’s the plumbing that strikes my eye rather than the tender -
British locomotives have much simpler outlines than many foreign ones[1] -
but that’s probably different for different people.

[1] There’s a CS Lewis quote, quoting Owen Barfield, that the reason people
don’t like insects is because, like foreigh locos, they have all their
works on the outside.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<s9vdnh$hn5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1375&group=uk.railway#1375

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 10:25:53 -0000 (UTC)
<s9vc1i$itp$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:VvwiKrbE39yASHM6o6/X9WSDyHE=
 by: Sam Wilson - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 10:25 UTC

Looks like they’re not bothering much with the authenticity aspects…

<https://youtu.be/2R8V8QK7ybg>

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<4tk6cgpikc9c50cab4cr74oca8f0alo4fb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1380&group=uk.railway#1380

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <s9sj49$gov$1@dont-email.me> <s9srt9$b4c$2@dont-email.me> <pg04cghf1i0n2a8amhkk7dtf1acnqepn9s@4ax.com> <8114cg1kfsr63r3hfr6oob106d03dv2rf4@4ax.com> <s9t7d1$sf0$1@dont-email.me> <beg4cg16g83j7vamv24e71ftjmtp4i0mgg@4ax.com> <1674042706.645037673.240375.jmd.nospam-btinternet.com@news.individual.net> <s9tn5p$kvq$1@dont-email.me> <s9v8sn$tmj$1@dont-email.me> <s9v9gh$274$1@dont-email.me> <s9vc1i$itp$1@dont-email.me> <s9vdnh$hn5$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2021 13:15:51 +0100
 by: Recliner - Fri, 11 Jun 2021 12:15 UTC

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 10:25:53 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Looks like they’re not bothering much with the authenticity aspects…
>
><https://youtu.be/2R8V8QK7ybg>

Sadly, why am I not surprised? Of course, what we don't know is how clearly the train will be seen in the film. There's
also the remote possibility that CGI will be used to make it look a bit more authentic, but I won't hold my breath.

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<sa81t6$h9u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1544&group=uk.railway#1544

From: bevanpri...@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 17:59:18 +0100
 by: Bevan Price - Mon, 14 Jun 2021 16:59 UTC

On 11/06/2021 10:57, Sam Wilson wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> And the smoke delfectors, and the plumbing. It would be good to see a 9F
>>> in black with red running gear but I’m not sure that would be authentic war
>>> time livery.
>>>

>> Wasn't the German wartime livery all-black? …
>
> I think so, but one of the photos above shows black and red and I’ve always
> liked it.
>
>> … I don't think most people
>> would notice the plumbing, and the various Kriegsloks probably didn't all
>> have the same smoke deflectors. I wonder if it would be feasible to fit
>> different smoke deflectors to the 9F for the filming? But the boxy
>> British-style tender just looks wrong.
>
> To me it’s the plumbing that strikes my eye rather than the tender -
> British locomotives have much simpler outlines than many foreign ones[1] -
> but that’s probably different for different people.
>
> [1] There’s a CS Lewis quote, quoting Owen Barfield, that the reason people
> don’t like insects is because, like foreigh locos, they have all their
> works on the outside.
>
> Sam

At least 90-95% of the likely audience will neither know nor care that
the loco is not authentic. Nor will they recognise that BR Mark 1
coaches are unlike anything used in Europe at that time.

Indeed, did coaches anywhere in mainland Europe ever have sliding
ventilators at that time.?

Even the loco number (52.8079) is "wrong" for that era -- the 52.80xx
number series applied to post-war rebuilds of Kriegsloks.

https://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-photography-steam-locomotive-raw-stendal-dr-class-skoda-pilsen-berlin-april-kriegslokomotive-spring-festival-exhibition-rail-image31229547

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<CJYJT3wE2IygFAat@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1589&group=uk.railway#1589

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 12:22:44 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 11:22 UTC

In message
<1674042706.645037673.240375.jmd.nospam-btinternet.com@news.individual.ne
t>, at 17:58:07 on Thu, 10 Jun 2021, Jeremy Double
<jmd.nospam@btinternet.com> remarked:

And: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R8V8QK7ybg&t=94s
--
Roland Perry

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<fYadnZalQcqfdVX9nZ2dnUU78VWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1607&group=uk.railway#1607

From: ala...@darkroom.+.com (Alan)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 12:48:50 -0500
 by: Alan - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 17:48 UTC

On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 13:15:51 +0100, Recliner wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 10:25:53 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
> <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Looks like they’re not bothering much with the authenticity aspects…
>>
>><https://youtu.be/2R8V8QK7ybg>
>
> Sadly, why am I not surprised? Of course, what we don't know is how
> clearly the train will be seen in the film. There's also the remote
> possibility that CGI will be used to make it look a bit more authentic,
> but I won't hold my breath.

The general public wouldn't know an 0-6-0 from a 2-10-0. They just aren't
bothered. It isn't a documentary, it's a Hollywood film.
Remember the Class 20 used as a Russian engine in one of the Bond films,
filmed in deepest Germany, AKA the Nene Valley Railway. No one noticed,
it is insignificant outside of the few railway 'buffs' who think
everything should be perfect. No one has said yet about Bamburgh Castle
being used as a stand in for a German Castle.

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<saapvt$tem$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1608&group=uk.railway#1608

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2021 18:02:38 -0000 (UTC)
<s9vc1i$itp$1@dont-email.me>
<s9vdnh$hn5$1@dont-email.me>
<4tk6cgpikc9c50cab4cr74oca8f0alo4fb@4ax.com>
<fYadnZalQcqfdVX9nZ2dnUU78VWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
sha1:Oo/yVJz6yIVz7dQ7bwItC/DuDeA=
 by: Sam Wilson - Tue, 15 Jun 2021 18:02 UTC

Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 13:15:51 +0100, Recliner wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 10:25:53 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
>> <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like they’re not bothering much with the authenticity aspects…
>>>
>>> <https://youtu.be/2R8V8QK7ybg>
>>
>> Sadly, why am I not surprised? Of course, what we don't know is how
>> clearly the train will be seen in the film. There's also the remote
>> possibility that CGI will be used to make it look a bit more authentic,
>> but I won't hold my breath.
>
> The general public wouldn't know an 0-6-0 from a 2-10-0. They just aren't
> bothered. It isn't a documentary, it's a Hollywood film.
> Remember the Class 20 used as a Russian engine in one of the Bond films,
> filmed in deepest Germany, AKA the Nene Valley Railway. No one noticed,
> it is insignificant outside of the few railway 'buffs' who think
> everything should be perfect. …

I’m not convinced it’s a few railway buffs; I think it’s anyone who
recognises anachronisms and national features such as landscape.
architecture, street signs and so on.

> … No one has said yet about Bamburgh Castle
> being used as a stand in for a German Castle.

I’m sure they’d have plenty to say about that in uk.castles.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<628693769.645514208.448807.jmd.nospam-btinternet.com@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1619&group=uk.railway#1619

From: jmd.nos...@btinternet.com (Jeremy Double)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 16 Jun 2021 05:38:57 GMT
<s9vc1i$itp$1@dont-email.me>
<s9vdnh$hn5$1@dont-email.me>
<4tk6cgpikc9c50cab4cr74oca8f0alo4fb@4ax.com>
<fYadnZalQcqfdVX9nZ2dnUU78VWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
 by: Jeremy Double - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 05:38 UTC

Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 13:15:51 +0100, Recliner wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 10:25:53 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
>> <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Looks like they’re not bothering much with the authenticity aspects…
>>>
>>> <https://youtu.be/2R8V8QK7ybg>
>>
>> Sadly, why am I not surprised? Of course, what we don't know is how
>> clearly the train will be seen in the film. There's also the remote
>> possibility that CGI will be used to make it look a bit more authentic,
>> but I won't hold my breath.
>
> The general public wouldn't know an 0-6-0 from a 2-10-0. They just aren't
> bothered. It isn't a documentary, it's a Hollywood film.
> Remember the Class 20 used as a Russian engine in one of the Bond films,
> filmed in deepest Germany, AKA the Nene Valley Railway. No one noticed,
> it is insignificant outside of the few railway 'buffs' who think
> everything should be perfect. No one has said yet about Bamburgh Castle
> being used as a stand in for a German Castle.

There was an excuse for using the Nene Valley Railway for filming
Octopussy, because it was made years before the Iron Curtain was opened.
The least believable aspect of that was using a small Vicorian wayside
station to represent the large multi-platform concrete Hauptbahnhof of Karl
Marx Stadt, not the class 20.

--
Jeremy Double

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<PqC67t7vNZygFApR@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1623&group=uk.railway#1623

From: rol...@perry.co.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 07:00:15 +0100
<s9vdnh$hn5$1@dont-email.me> <4tk6cgpikc9c50cab4cr74oca8f0alo4fb@4ax.com>
<fYadnZalQcqfdVX9nZ2dnUU78VWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
<628693769.645514208.448807.jmd.nospam-btinternet.com@news.individual.net>
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 06:00 UTC

In message
<628693769.645514208.448807.jmd.nospam-btinternet.com@news.individual.net
>, at 05:38:57 on Wed, 16 Jun 2021, Jeremy Double
<jmd.nospam@btinternet.com> remarked:
>Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2021 13:15:51 +0100, Recliner wrote:

>>> Sadly, why am I not surprised? Of course, what we don't know is how
>>> clearly the train will be seen in the film. There's also the remote
>>> possibility that CGI will be used to make it look a bit more authentic,
>>> but I won't hold my breath.
>>
>> The general public wouldn't know an 0-6-0 from a 2-10-0. They just aren't
>> bothered. It isn't a documentary, it's a Hollywood film.
>> Remember the Class 20 used as a Russian engine in one of the Bond films,
>> filmed in deepest Germany, AKA the Nene Valley Railway. No one noticed,
>> it is insignificant outside of the few railway 'buffs' who think
>> everything should be perfect. No one has said yet about Bamburgh Castle
>> being used as a stand in for a German Castle.
>
>There was an excuse for using the Nene Valley Railway for filming
>Octopussy, because it was made years before the Iron Curtain was opened.

NVR also had some German-style carriages for the Circus train; whereas
the funky armoured class 20 was imported for Goldeneye.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/73789322@N04/15534593390

--
Roland Perry

Re: Indiana Jones on the NYMR

<rqnjcgd5sr96hqg95v063n0o2esdtr3min@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1639&group=uk.railway#1639

From: use...@listmail.good-stuff.co.uk (Mark Goodge)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2021 12:36:54 +0100
References: <8114cg1kfsr63r3hfr6oob106d03dv2rf4@4ax.com> <s9t7d1$sf0$1@dont-email.me> <beg4cg16g83j7vamv24e71ftjmtp4i0mgg@4ax.com> <1674042706.645037673.240375.jmd.nospam-btinternet.com@news.individual.net> <s9tn5p$kvq$1@dont-email.me> <s9v8sn$tmj$1@dont-email.me> <s9v9gh$274$1@dont-email.me> <s9vc1i$itp$1@dont-email.me> <s9vdnh$hn5$1@dont-email.me> <4tk6cgpikc9c50cab4cr74oca8f0alo4fb@4ax.com> <fYadnZalQcqfdVX9nZ2dnUU78VWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
 by: Mark Goodge - Wed, 16 Jun 2021 11:36 UTC

On Tue, 15 Jun 2021 12:48:50 -0500, Alan <alan@darkroom.+.com> wrote:

>The general public wouldn't know an 0-6-0 from a 2-10-0. They just aren't
>bothered. It isn't a documentary, it's a Hollywood film.
>Remember the Class 20 used as a Russian engine in one of the Bond films,
>filmed in deepest Germany, AKA the Nene Valley Railway. No one noticed,
>it is insignificant outside of the few railway 'buffs' who think
>everything should be perfect. No one has said yet about Bamburgh Castle
>being used as a stand in for a German Castle.

It depends a lot on the film. For the 2017 movie of Murder on the Orient
Express, a full-size, semi-functional replica of a genuine French loco
(a 241P) was constructed that, when in operation, would have hauled the
Orient Express. Which is admirable attention to detail, were it not for
the fact that the 241P is a post-war design and the movie (following the
book) is set in the 1930s.

The Nene Valley Railway is commonly used as a filming location, and part
of its attraction in that respect is that, as well as the typical
British locos and stock operated by most heritage railways, it also has
a sizable collection of European stock.

Mark