The trouble with money is it costs too much!

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Oh Good No More Halloween After Today Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Oct 2022)

SubjectAuthor
* Oh Good No More Halloween After Today Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Oct 2022)Kendrick Kerwin Chua
+- Re: Oh Good No More Halloween After Today Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Oct 2022)Russell Marks
+* Re: Oh Good No More Halloween After Today Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 OctTim Miller
|`- Re: Oh Good No More Halloween After Today Play Want Bin (PWBE 31John Dow
`- Re: Oh Good No More Halloween After Today Play Want Bin (PWBE 31John Dow

1
Oh Good No More Halloween After Today Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Oct 2022)

<TeqcnUsbf44sksL-nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1275&group=uk.games.video.misc#1275

Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Oh Good No More Halloween After Today Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Oct 2022)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 23:58:41 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Sun, 30 Oct 2022 23:58 UTC

It's a good thing all the Christmas decorations are up in the stores
already so that they can put a speedy end to this Halloween nonsense.

Play:
--=--

Elden Ring (PS5) - A big red wolf boss down on the first try. Also a
giant man thing with giant dragon wings and a thunder staff. Some ninja
that thinks he's a wolf. Also Gilbert Gottfried and his big dragon arm.
I'm just cheerfully running around the map enjoying myself in a
completely unstructured way, which means I'm likely doing a lot of
things out of order or shutting doors on some story threads
inadvertently, and I'm just fine with that.

I'll probably get into this into more detail in the podcast, but I'm
struck at how the game is making such an integrated statement about the
futility of war. More than any other game I've played, this is a game
that goes out of its way to avoid valorising or glorifying any aspect of
war or warfighting. I suspect that's an intentional thing that's been
thematic through all of the Souls games and it's only now that I've been
able to appreciate the fully-realised vision of it in an open world game.

Want:
--=--

Megadrive Mini 2 (MD) - My American-region Genesis Mini 2 is supposed to
be at my house on Wednesday, but somehow made it across three continents
over the weekend already. I dare not hope too much.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $3,677

-KKC, who needs a week-long nap now please.

Re: Oh Good No More Halloween After Today Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Oct 2022)

<YkM7L.1287533$5p2.818428@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1276&group=uk.games.video.misc#1276

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 09:13:28 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 09:13 UTC

> Play:

Mineclone 2 (Linux) - having made a Nether portal (which is very much
one of those "how would you ever figure this out without spoilers or
checking the source code" kind of things), I entered it and emerged
from the other side into a small room surrounded by rock. Had a bit of
a dig for a while, and found... more rock. Nice.

> Want:

Less rock.

> Bin:

MC2 Nether portals not obviously being usable as a means of
teleporting between locations in the normal map, which I was hoping
might be possible.

-Rus.

Re: Oh Good No More Halloween After Today Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Oct 2022)

<tjo9q8$ftq1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1277&group=uk.games.video.misc#1277

From: new...@economic-truth.co.uk (Tim Miller)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Oh Good No More Halloween After Today Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Oct
2022)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 10:59:19 +0000
 by: Tim Miller - Mon, 31 Oct 2022 10:59 UTC

On 30 Oct 2022 23:58, Kendrick Kerwin Chua wrote:

> It's a good thing all the Christmas decorations are up in the stores
> already so that they can put a speedy end to this Halloween nonsense.

It's my Dad's birthday first!

> Play:
> --=--

Lego Rock Band (360)

As children grow older, they are no longer content to be given some
wordsearches and colouring books when we host a party. Yesterday we
have twelve kids over (along with their parents, who were the ones we
were really inviting) and Justine suggested we might want to set up
some party games in the front room. Given the success of Nicholas's
birthday party, the first thought was Lego Rock Band.

It was played non-stop for five hours. The children all took turns on
various instruments and even singing. Three families left with their
children badgering them to get one for them. That went well.

Of course, to make sure it worked I had to test it all myself. I am
still pretty hopeless at it; can't go about medium difficulty to save
my life.

Sasquatchers (Playdate)

I am deliberately not saying too much about Playdate games so that
others who are behind in the season don't get the forthcoming surprises
spoiled for them, but suffice to say this is a charming turn-based
strategy game revolving around taking photos of Bigfoot. I was amused
when the tutorial itself referred to Advance Wars.

Assassins Creed Unity (Xbone)

I would like to say I'm enjoying this, and when I'm doing missions in
it I'm finding it fun. But because there's just so much stuff on the
map, and constant distractions as you run from one place to another,
it's really slow going and it takes ages to actually get to the next
mission.

> Want:
> --=--

A way to buy Analogue consoles without paying an extra couple of
hundred pounds on shipping and import duty.

> Bin:
> -==-

Boomerang Fu (Switch)

Not the game itself, which is a fun party game where you have to hit
each other with boomerangs, but instead the name. It was all well and
good until Nicholas pointed out they should have called it 'Kung
Fu-merang' and now I can't stop wondering how they missed that.

Tim (tm)
--
Blog: xexyz.blogspot.com
Site: www.economic-truth.co.uk

Re: Oh Good No More Halloween After Today Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Oct 2022)

<slrntm23gd.3gv5d.jmd@achilles.bio.ed.ac.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1279&group=uk.games.video.misc#1279

From: jmd...@nelefa.org (John Dow)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Oh Good No More Halloween After Today Play Want Bin (PWBE 31
Oct 2022)
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 12:16:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Dow - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 12:16 UTC

On 2022-10-30, Kendrick Kerwin Chua <kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> It's a good thing all the Christmas decorations are up in the stores
> already so that they can put a speedy end to this Halloween nonsense.
>
> Play:
> --=--

Urgh. Well. I seem to have got myself in a bit of a pickle. I currently
have four (4) Monster Hunter saves on the go - world on PC and PS4 and
Rise on PC and Switch. And I'm constantly going rummaging in the
equipment chest looking for things from another save.

Also: Cyberpunk 2033 (PC), which is really good but I forgot I was playing
until I started typing this.

ditto Yakuza 0 (PC), where I have just broken up a panty-sniffing ring and
don't really know what I'm supposed to do next.

Also RDR2 (PC) where I'm beginning to just not care, Greedfall (PC) which
has atrocious controller support, Days Gone (PC) which has good controller
support, etc etc etc.

And Diablo 2 remastered. And other stuff.

> Want:
> --=--

Time. I just want time.

> Bin:
> -==-

Having no time.

> Expenditure:
> -----=-----

Not telling.

John Dow <jmd@nelefa.org.invalid>
... Blog & Game Diary : http://www.nelefa.org
/|\ Constructed using SLRN and Vi.
/ | \ Zomoniac is Wrong. Fact.

Re: Oh Good No More Halloween After Today Play Want Bin (PWBE 31 Oct 2022)

<slrntm23lr.3gvmi.jmd@achilles.bio.ed.ac.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1280&group=uk.games.video.misc#1280

From: jmd...@nelefa.org (John Dow)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Oct 2022)
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 12:19:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: John Dow - Tue, 1 Nov 2022 12:19 UTC

On 2022-10-31, Tim Miller <news@economic-truth.co.uk> wrote:
> But because there's just so much stuff on the
> map, and constant distractions as you run from one place to another,
> it's really slow going and it takes ages to actually get to the next
> mission.

This is exactly the problem I have with AC games (and their ilk - even
the Far Cry games have got a bit like this. And the Witcher).