An INK-LING? Sure -- TAKE one!! Did you BUY any COMMUNIST UNIFORMS??

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and byways explained – where can I ride my bike off-road

SubjectAuthor
* Footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and bywaysswldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and byJNugent
+* Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and bywswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restrictedSpike
`* Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and bywswldx...@gmail.com
 +- Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restrictedSpike
 `* Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and bywswldx...@gmail.com
  +- Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restrictedSpike
  `- Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and bywswldx...@gmail.com

1
Footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and byways explained – where can I ride my bike off-road

<d7ffe134-4d74-49bd-89f8-3c696ce9beaen@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12755&group=uk.rec.cycling#12755

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 10:15:03 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Footpaths,_bridleways,_restricted_byways_and_byways_
explained_–_where_can_I_ride_my_bike_off-road
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 17:15 UTC

We are fortunate in the UK to have a network of ‘ways’ criss-crossing our landscapes and national parks, allowing for a wealth of adventures away from the road.

However, for those new to exploring maps and planning escapes, the numerous classifications of path, track and trail can be daunting and a little confusing.

Here, we’ll demystify the differences between footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and byways, explaining where you are legally allowed to cycle, and how to tell the difference when looking at maps or signage.

We will also break down how land access laws for cyclists differ among the four UK nations.
Footpath vs bridleway vs restricted byway vs byway: what’s the difference?

Let’s start with an overview of the way types you’ll encounter, and who’s allowed where.
Footpaths explained
Footpaths are marked with a line of small green dashes on a 1:25k scale Ordnance Survey map. Ordnance Survey

A footpath is a way that may be passed on foot, or using a mobility aid. Cycling on a footpath is forbidden.

Some sources say cycling on a footpath would be a civil offence, rather than a criminal offence – classed as a ‘trespass against the landowner’.

Whether you’re strictly allowed to push your bike on a footpath is also a grey area.
Bridleways explained
Bridleways are marked with longer green dashes at the same scale. Ordnance Survey

Bridleways permit travel by foot, horseback, or on a ‘pedal cycle’ – cycling if you will.

These routes have their origins in horse-borne transport, their namesake in the head gear used on a horse, and are likely to be wider with horse-friendly gates.
Bridleways are usually marked with a wooden pointer sign, but may also be marked with a horse shoe or roundel. Getty
Restricted byways explained
Restricted byways are shown with long green dashes like a bridleway, but have circles alternating from side to side. Ordnance Survey

A restricted byway is likely a less familiar form of path.

Legally, a restricted byway allows you the right to pass on foot, on horseback (or accompanied by a horse), and with vehicles that are not propelled mechanically – including horse-drawn vehicles, but also including bicycles.

Fortunately, electric bikes fall under the same category as standard bicycles, so are permitted where other cycles are – despite there being an element of mechanical propulsion.
Restricted byways were introduced as part of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000. Getty
Byways (open to all traffic) explained
Byways are generally open to all traffic and are marked with a line of small crosses. Ordnance Survey

Byways come in two forms: restricted byways, as discussed, or a byway open to all traffic – a BOAT.

The BOAT name is a bit of a giveaway – vehicular traffic has a right to use these ways, but the way is ‘mainly used’ by pedestrians, cycles and horses.
Other rights of way
Permissive footpaths and bridleways are subject to different access rules. Ordnance Survey

To add confusion, there are two more categories to be aware of.

Permissive or concessionary paths are accessed at the permission of the landowner, with the landowner deciding who can use the path.

They will usually reflect a category above – such as a footpath or bridleway, but the landowner could choose to offer a path only to horses or cyclists.

These ways may be signposted to indicate that access is permissive, and are always shown with a different colour on Ordnance Survey (OS) maps.

Permissive paths are not public rights of way and can be subject to change with access permission withdrawn. For example, agricultural landowners may restrict access temporarily when moving stock or may even revoke access permanently.

White roads are another category shown on maps. These are described as unsealed (i.e. not tarmacked) and unclassified. On OS maps, they’re shown as ‘other routes of public access’ and while not strictly a public right of way, access rights are generally as for BOATs.
Transcending these categories are provisions for physically disabled riders using an adapted cycle for the same purpose as a wheelchair or mobility scooter.

Adaptive bikes for disabled riders can be used anywhere where access on foot applies.

However, it is worth remembering that many of these ways will have gates and stiles not designed for wheelchair or mobility vehicle users. There are some groups and movements promoting routes within the path networks that are accessible, including Miles without Stiles, for example with this Lake District map, and accessible Dartmoor.

Ed Plowden, programme director of Paths for Everyone at Sustrans, helped to summarise where in this network cyclists are permitted.

He explained that ”people can legally cycle on public carriageways [roads], public bridleways, restricted byways, byways open to all traffic and cycle tracks, but not public footpaths.”

He went on to note that path infrastructure may make cycling challenging in places – “existing restrictions like gates, A and K frames, or chicanes, previously installed to try and prevent motorcycle access or as part of outdated cycle infrastructure design standards do impede access for cyclists.”

Alongside the infrastructure on paths, it is worth remembering that path classification does not guarantee path substrate.

Paths of the same category can range from tarmac to hard-packed gravel through to bog, so always be sure to research and pack appropriately when planning your route.

In addition, regardless of the way type, it’s important for cyclists to consider other users while riding.

Plowden added that cyclists should “remember to share with care, slowing down when passing other path users including people cycling, people on foot, horse riders and people in wheelchairs.

“Ring your bell or shout a gentle warning if need be, well in advance of approaching people from behind. Remember that many people who walk, wheel or cycle also have hidden disabilities, which may mean that they cannot hear or move quickly out of the way.”

https://www.bikeradar.com/features/routes-and-rides/uk-cycling-footpath-laws/

Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and byways explained – where can I ride my fairy-bike off-road

<jlvdimF293rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12756&group=uk.rec.cycling#12756

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Footpaths,_bridleways,_restricted_byways_and_by
ways_explained_–_where_can_I_ride_my_fairy-bike_off-road
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 18:20:21 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 17:20 UTC

> We are fortunate in the UK to have a network of ‘ways’ criss-crossing our landscapes and national parks, allowing for a wealth of adventures away from the road.
>
> However, for those new to exploring maps and planning escapes, the numerous classifications of path, track and trail can be daunting and a little confusing.
>
> Here, we’ll demystify the differences between footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and byways, explaining where you are legally allowed to cycle, and how to tell the difference when looking at maps or signage.
>
> We will also break down how land access laws for cyclists differ among the four UK nations.
> Footpath vs bridleway vs restricted byway vs byway: what’s the difference?
>
> Let’s start with an overview of the way types you’ll encounter, and who’s allowed where.
> Footpaths explained
> Footpaths are marked with a line of small green dashes on a 1:25k scale Ordnance Survey map. Ordnance Survey
>
> A footpath is a way that may be passed on foot, or using a mobility aid. Cycling on a footpath is forbidden.

Got that?

"*Cycling* on a *footpath* is *forbidden*".

Not that you'd know that from observing the behaviour of fairy-cyclists.

> [...]
> He went on to note that path infrastructure may make cycling challenging in places – “existing restrictions like gates, A and K frames, or chicanes, previously installed to try and prevent motorcycle access or as part of outdated cycle infrastructure design standards do impede access for cyclists.”
> Alongside the infrastructure on paths, it is worth remembering that path classification does not guarantee path substrate.
> Paths of the same category can range from tarmac to hard-packed gravel through to bog, so always be sure to research and pack appropriately when planning your route.
> In addition, regardless of the way type, it’s important for cyclists to consider other users while riding.

"it’s important for cyclists to consider other users while riding"?

You can forget that one!

> Plowden added that cyclists should “remember to share with care, slowing down when passing other path users including people cycling, people on foot, horse riders and people in wheelchairs.
> “Ring your bell or shout a gentle warning if need be, well in advance of approaching people from behind. Remember that many people who walk, wheel or cycle also have hidden disabilities, which may mean that they cannot hear or move quickly out of the way.”
>
> https://www.bikeradar.com/features/routes-and-rides/uk-cycling-footpath-laws/

Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and byways explained – where can I ride my bike off-road

<c3a2ea5b-f3af-45cb-bf30-fa925577c09bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12757&group=uk.rec.cycling#12757

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 10:25:02 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Footpaths,_bridleways,_restricted_byways_and_byw
ays_explained_–_where_can_I_ride_my_bike_off-road
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 17:25 UTC

QUOTE: Permissive or concessionary paths are accessed at the permission of the landowner, with the landowner deciding who can use the path. ENDS

At Wawne, a farmer saw me pushing my bike down one of these paths and then told me that I could ride down it instead. :-)

Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and byw ays explained – where can I ride my bike off-road

<jlvf6eF2gimU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12758&group=uk.rec.cycling#12758

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restricted
Date: 15 Aug 2022 17:47:58 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 17:47 UTC

> QUOTE: Permissive or concessionary paths are accessed at the permission
> of the landowner, with the landowner deciding who can use the path. ENDS

> At Wawne, a farmer saw me pushing my bike down one of these paths and
> then told me that I could ride down it instead. :-)

Perhaps he wanted you gone ASAP…

--
Spike

Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and byways explained – where can I ride my bike off-road

<7f87f54d-4dff-492a-9196-d249cced7906n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12759&group=uk.rec.cycling#12759

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 10:59:59 -0700 (PDT)
ays_explained_–_where_can_I_ride_my_bike_off-road
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 17:59 UTC

QUOTE: Some sources say cycling on a footpath would be a civil offence, rather than a criminal offence – classed as a ‘trespass against the landowner’ ENDS

That would mean that said landowner can give you permission to ride on the footpath on their land - nothing to do with the police. Job's a good 'un.

Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and byw ays explained – where can I ride my bike off-road

<jlvj8vF34vkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12760&group=uk.rec.cycling#12760

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 15 Aug 2022 18:57:35 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 18:57 UTC

> QUOTE: Some sources say cycling on a footpath would be a civil offence,
> rather than a criminal offence – classed as a ‘trespass against the landowner’ ENDS

> That would mean that said landowner can give you permission to ride on
> the footpath on their land - nothing to do with the police. Job's a good 'un.

You might find it useful to actually read the items you cut and paste with
such monotony.

If you do so for this particular article, you’ll find that the type of
‘footpath’ you mention is clearly defined within it.

--
Spike

Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and byways explained – where can I ride my bike off-road

<f75da906-b4f5-4e0d-ae8e-82abb2758f4fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12761&group=uk.rec.cycling#12761

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 12:15:16 -0700 (PDT)
ays_explained_–_where_can_I_ride_my_bike_off-road
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 19:15 UTC

On Monday, August 15, 2022 at 7:00:00 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> QUOTE: Some sources say cycling on a footpath would be a civil offence, rather than a criminal offence – classed as a ‘trespass against the landowner’ ENDS
>
> That would mean that said landowner can give you permission to ride on the footpath on their land - nothing to do with the police. Job's a good 'un.

Around here, many horse riders exercise their animals on farmland footways with the permission of the landowners who always have the final say on who uses their land.

Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and byw ays explained – where can I ride my bike off-road

<jm1cbpFbldvU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12767&group=uk.rec.cycling#12767

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 16 Aug 2022 11:11:53 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 11:11 UTC

> On Monday, August 15, 2022 at 7:00:00 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:

>> QUOTE: Some sources say cycling on a footpath would be a civil offence,
>> rather than a criminal offence – classed as a ‘trespass against the landowner’ ENDS

>> That would mean that said landowner can give you permission to ride on
>> the footpath on their land - nothing to do with the police. Job's a good 'un.

> Around here, many horse riders exercise their animals on farmland
> footways with the permission of the landowners who always have the final
> say on who uses their land.

uk.horse.crap is thataway >>>>>

--
Spike

Re: Footpaths, bridleways, restricted byways and byways explained – where can I ride my bike off-road

<6e68a274-5d6a-48d0-8d39-701d66fd31bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12771&group=uk.rec.cycling#12771

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 06:11:26 -0700 (PDT)
ays_explained_–_where_can_I_ride_my_bike_off-road
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 13:11 UTC

On Monday, August 15, 2022 at 8:15:18 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, August 15, 2022 at 7:00:00 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> > QUOTE: Some sources say cycling on a footpath would be a civil offence, rather than a criminal offence – classed as a ‘trespass against the landowner’ ENDS
> >
> > That would mean that said landowner can give you permission to ride on the footpath on their land - nothing to do with the police. Job's a good 'un.
> Around here, many horse riders exercise their animals on farmland footways with the permission of the landowners who always have the final say on who uses their land.

Just fed two horses with carrots and apples on a country footpath.
Lovely animals. :-)