Anything that is good and useful is made of chocolate.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists and businesses, Camden Council says

SubjectAuthor
* New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists and businesses,swldx...@gmail.com
+* Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists andswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists andSpike
+* Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists andswldx...@gmail.com
|+- Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists andSpike
|`- Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists andJNugent
+* Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists andswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists andJNugent
+* Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists andswldx...@gmail.com
|`- Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists andSpike
`- Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists andswldx...@gmail.com

1
New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists and businesses, Camden Council says

<8a3c0395-ea47-4bd4-9d44-23cb988389dfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12723&group=uk.rec.cycling#12723

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 00:14:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists and businesses,
Camden Council says
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 07:14 UTC

A Camden councillor says that recently installed protected bike lanes in the borough will benefit both businesses and local cyclists.

The new segregated cycle lanes, which run for just over a kilometre on Haverstock Hill and Rosslyn Hill between the junction with Prince of Wales Road and Pond Street, were installed this summer as part of an 18-month trial.

The experimental traffic order was passed by Camden Council in August last year, despite a group of Conservative councillors opposing the plans because the road in question (which has an average gradient of three percent, with a slight nudge up to five percent on a section of Haverstock Hill) was deemed “too steep” for many cyclists to use, including schoolchildren.

In fact, four local schools, as well as the Royal Free Hospital and Great Ormond Street Hospital, backed the scheme, which passed through the Labour-dominated council’s culture and environment committee with a majority of five to one.
Despite the strong support for the pop-up trial, the recently-installed bike lanes have encountered a mixed reception from local business owners.

In interviews conducted this week by the Hampstead and Highgate Express (link is external), a handful of local traders criticised the lanes, which they believed made it impossible for customers “to park in the entire area where the lane is built”.

Café owner George told the newspaper: “[The trial has] affected our business very badly due to the lack of parking facilities.

“The customers are not coming as they used to. They don’t have the space to park now, and they have plenty of other options as well.”

However, not all business owners are opposed to the lanes.

“Being myself a cyclist, I completely support the cycle lane,” says juice bar owner Didi.

“We might lose some business, but we will be able to save more lives. It will make cycling safer in London.”

Didi’s view was echoed by a number of local cyclists.

“The more cycle lanes there are, the better,” said 55-year-old Paul, while teenager Leo argued that the scheme “make a big difference. It makes cycling safer. Most of the drivers in London overtake and cut the space of cyclists which makes it super difficult for the cyclists to manoeuvre around the cars in the traffic.”

Councillor Adam Harrison, cabinet member for a sustainable Camden, says that the pop-up cycle lanes will result in benefits for cyclists and business owners alike.

“The five new pedestrian crossings and cycle lanes being trialled on Haverstock Hill and Rosslyn Hill are absolutely vital for helping people travel more safely around Camden, whether it’s switching from car to bike for some journeys or walking to the shops and restaurants of Belsize Park and Steele’s Village," he said.

“As well as contributing to our vision of zero casualties on our roads, they are part of our collective effort to cut the carbon out of transport, and slash air pollution on our way to World Health Organization standards.

“I understand this means some changes to the area, but I believe businesses, residents, visitors and local stakeholders will find it a real benefit. I am also pleased that four local schools, the Royal Free Hospital, and Great Ormond Street Hospital backed the new walking and cycling changes..

“The trial scheme is now substantially complete with remaining elements, such as the zebra crossing at the northern end being completed this month. We will welcome feedback from businesses and all other stakeholders, throughout the trial, ahead of a final decision on whether or not to retain, amend or remove the trial scheme.”

https://road.cc/content/news/new-bike-lanes-will-benefit-both-cyclists-and-businesses-295213

Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists and businesses, Camden Council says

<c89c7c10-9931-4533-8867-f44e4b75d4b8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12728&group=uk.rec.cycling#12728

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 06:14:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists and
businesses, Camden Council says
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 13:14 UTC

Roads are for travel, not the storage of cars. In many parts of the US vehicle parking is mostly a responsibility for shops to provide on their land, not for the city to provide for them.

Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists and businesses, Camden Council says

<jlv3c1Fm0bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12731&group=uk.rec.cycling#12731

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
businesses, Camden Council says
Date: 15 Aug 2022 14:26:09 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 14:26 UTC

> Roads are for travel, not the storage of cars. In many parts of the US
> vehicle parking is mostly a responsibility for shops to provide on their
> land, not for the city to provide for them.

In the US, people shoot each other quite a lot. Should we do that here too?

--
Spike

Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists and businesses, Camden Council says

<a5c9c1a7-becb-4c12-a4d4-54a2ca1296a3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12732&group=uk.rec.cycling#12732

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 08:55:01 -0700 (PDT)
businesses, Camden Council says
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 15:55 UTC

"Café owner George told the newspaper: “[The trial has] affected our business very badly due to the lack of parking facilities."

That's odd; in every such installation I've heard of, footfall increases and local businesses, thrive, especially cafes. Maybe George needs to look at his business model; if he's telling the truth.

Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists and businesses, Camden Council says

<jlvbeoF1u5qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12749&group=uk.rec.cycling#12749

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
businesses, Camden Council says
Date: 15 Aug 2022 16:44:08 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 16:44 UTC

> "Café owner George told the newspaper: “[The trial has] affected our
> business very badly due to the lack of parking facilities."

> That's odd; in every such installation I've heard of, footfall increases
> and local businesses, thrive, especially cafes. Maybe George needs to
> look at his business model; if he's telling the truth.
In one town that I know of the green loonies that run it invented a new
traffic system supported by traffic signs that no-one could understand.
People stayed away and businesses on the High Street collapsed like
ninepins.

--
Spike

Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists and businesses, Camden Council says

<f92a2ba3-6cec-4248-8ad7-b6e6762a05fbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12751&group=uk.rec.cycling#12751

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 09:45:24 -0700 (PDT)
businesses, Camden Council says
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 15 Aug 2022 16:45 UTC

steaders1 | 26 posts | 6 hours ago
2 likes

Cyclists like cafe's but it sounds like George dosen't want our type in his? I don't know the street but maybe it's a drive through and that's why he's complaining?

Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists and businesses, Camden Council says

<jm0d9nF7038U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12762&group=uk.rec.cycling#12762

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
businesses, Camden Council says
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 03:21:43 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 02:21 UTC

> "Café owner George told the newspaper: “[The trial has] affected our business very badly due to the lack of parking facilities."
>
> That's odd; in every such installation I've heard of, footfall increases and local businesses, thrive, especially cafes. Maybe George needs to look at his business model; if he's telling the truth.

So who is more likely to have some knowledge of how a catering
establishment is affected by reducing opportunities for customers to
even get there and stay long enough to partake of the services offered?

Is it more likely to be:

(a) current café proprietor George, who is running the business, or

(b) retired janitor Simon "Del Boy" Mason, who hung up his broom and
dust-pan some years ago, some time after a bit of a kerfuffle
(allegedly) at the company's AGM*?

Oh... that is a really *difficult* one to call, isn't it?

[* That may have been something to do with the toilets not being clean
enough, though the truth is that not many really know what happened at
that legendary AGM.]

Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists and businesses, Camden Council says

<jm0dddF7038U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12763&group=uk.rec.cycling#12763

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
businesses, Camden Council says
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 03:23:41 +0100
 by: JNugent - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 02:23 UTC

> steaders1 | 26 posts | 6 hours ago
> 2 likes
>
> Cyclists like cafe's but it sounds like George dosen't want our type in his?

Who would? ;-)

> I don't know the street but maybe it's a drive through and that's why he's complaining?

I don't suppose he'll be offering the required free-of-all-charge
refreshing tap water to "customers" who don't actually buy anything.

Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists and businesses, Camden Council says

<3e34ffff-ce6f-4553-8aba-c3c6c3da0988n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12764&group=uk.rec.cycling#12764

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 02:08:58 -0700 (PDT)
businesses, Camden Council says
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 09:08 UTC

Am I missing something?

The article states that it is a protected cycle lane. If that is it in the picture then it's hardly protected, just a painted white line with the odd bollard.

Just another example of crap infrastructure.

Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists and businesses, Camden Council says

<jm1cbpFbldvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12765&group=uk.rec.cycling#12765

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
businesses, Camden Council says
Date: 16 Aug 2022 11:11:53 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 11:11 UTC

> Am I missing something?

> The article states that it is a protected cycle lane. If that is it in
> the picture then it's hardly protected, just a painted white line with the odd bollard.

> Just another example of crap infrastructure.

Cyclists, eh?

Whinge when they want infra, whinge when they get it. Always playing the
victim.

--
Spike

Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists and businesses, Camden Council says

<9740ba11-3679-4b2a-8dde-c426ae0e13b5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=12770&group=uk.rec.cycling#12770

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 06:09:49 -0700 (PDT)
businesses, Camden Council says
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 13:09 UTC

QUOTE: “The more cycle lanes there are, the better,” said 55-year-old Paul, while teenager Leo argued that the scheme “make a big difference. It makes cycling safer. Most of the drivers in London overtake and cut the space of cyclists which makes it super difficult for the cyclists to manoeuvre around the cars in the traffic.” ENDS

It seems wise heads have prevailed.
More please.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: New protected bike lanes will benefit both cyclists and businesses, Camden Council says