Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Extra Bank Holiday Play Want Bin (PWBE 7 Nov 2022)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 01:28:54 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 01:28 UTC

Excited for the coronation?

<crickets>

Anyone?

Play:
--=--

Elden Ring (PS5) - At about 90 hours or so I'm just past level 80, and
I'm just merrily exploring and going back to some areas where I wasn't
quite up to snuff. That'd be the the Siofra River, a spot full of
minotaurs and giant sparking will o' the wisps that suggests that my
joke about From Software thinking they could do Skyrim better is no
actual joke at all.

Galaxy Force II (MD) - I now own the actual real cart, and it's just
about impossible to play. I thought that my time with it on the first
Megadrive Mini unit was just me being thick, but it turns out that this
is one of those games that doesn't give you enough feedback about when
you're taking damage and how to avoid it. Having to keep one eye on the
shield gauge and the other eye on poorly scaled sprites isn't exactly
workable when you only have the one working eye. I'm sure this was
amazing to behold when it was released though.

Williams Arcade Greatest Hits (MD) - This is more like it. I thought
this would be just crap recoded home ports (like the Atari releases of
Centipede and Missile Command on this platform) but they're actually
damn-near emulated the pixel perfect renditions of the arcade games.
Defender and Robotron in particular are spot on, although using the six
button pad in place of the multidirectional fire buttons doesn't really
work.

Midway Presents Arcade Greatest Hits the Atari Collection Vol 2 (PSX) -
Had to compare emulated versions of Marble Madness and Gauntlet to their
renditions on other platforms. and I'm pretty pleasantly surprised at
how well the OG Playstation holds up. Marble Madness in particular is
seamless and exactly as I remember it, but Gauntlet is somehow both more
faithful and less fun than I think it should be. I suspect both would be
improved by arcade-accurate controls, and I'm now furiously seeking out
a Playstation-compatible trackball.

Gaiares (MD) - The star attraction of the Megadrive carts from this
weekend. Daring and challenging and probably the best of the 16-bit
schmups I've played all year, and I've accidentally somehow played a lot
of them. This is the Retro-Bit reissue cart, which got to my house in
one piece in spite of the parcel packaging being horribly mangled in
transit.

Want:
--=--

Power Shovel (PSX) - Taito did an arcade game where you're essentially
operating a giant digger machine against the clock, and they made a
custom controller for it that's two analog joysticks with a digital
thumb stick on top of each. I'm sure there's nothing else that would be
a more worthy spend of $250.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $3,677

Heavy Nova (MD) - $5
Williams Arcade Greatest Hits (MD) - $7
Atari Arcade Classics Centipede Missile Command (MD) - $8
Galaxy Force II (MD) - $9
Soldiers of Fortune (MD) - $16
Shanghai Pocket (GBC) - $3
Heiankyo Alien (GB) - $6
Marble Madness (GB) - $10
Star Wars (GB) - $13
Hydro Thunder (PSX) - $23
Midway Presents Arcade Greatest Hits the Atari Collection Vol 2 (PSX) - $15
Star Sweep (PSX) - $9
NFL Blitz 2001 (PSX) - $8
Space Shot (PSX) - $7
Tecmo Super Bowl (PSX) - $27

Total to date - $3,853

-KKC, who wishes the Gaiares T-shirt were more stylish and less plain.

Re: Extra Bank Holiday Play Want Bin (PWBE 7 Nov 2022)

<5V3aL.201139$RNb.68562@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1282&group=uk.games.video.misc#1282

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Extra Bank Holiday Play Want Bin (PWBE 7 Nov 2022)
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 09:07:13 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 7 Nov 2022 09:07 UTC

> Play:

Mineclone 2 (Linux) - more Nether adventures, where I finally noticed
that the exit portal was right next to a big open cavern that I'd
somehow failed to spot. So having previously been disappointed at not
finding an open space, I now had an open space large enough to
frustrate me with frequent baddie spawning. Nice.

> Want:

Nothing.

> Bin:

Still not finding most of the more interesting Nether stuff you can
apparently mine in MC2. I think it must be pretty rare or in specific
areas, as I've seen quite a bit of rock there now.

-Rus.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Extra Bank Holiday Play Want Bin (PWBE 7 Nov 2022)