"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

aus+uk / aus.cars / Clocky question

SubjectAuthor
* Clocky questionYosemite Sam
+- Clocky questionjonz@ nothere.com
`* Clocky questionPete
 `* Clocky questionYosemite Sam
  `* Clocky questionTrevor Wilson
   `* Clocky questionYosemite Sam
    `* Clocky questionTrevor Wilson
     `* Clocky questionYosemite Sam
      `* Clocky questionTrevor Wilson
       +- Clocky questionTrevor Wilson
       `* Clocky questionYosemite Sam
        +* Clocky questionClocky
        |`* Clocky questionYosemite Sam
        | `- Clocky questionClocky
        `- Clocky questionTrevor Wilson

1
Clocky question

<j9l4gcFa041U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13052&group=aus.cars#13052

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Clocky question
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:29:47 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 04:29 UTC

The caps lock LED on the PC keyboard was dead, possibly due to me
bashing it on the desk in anger and frustration at losing some online
game, so I decided to replace the diode, because it was annoying not
having any visual indication that the caps lock was on. So using a
multimeter on the diode position to test a diode prior to inserting it,
it wasn't lighting up, so I tried several more, but none were. so do
some multimeters not have the diode illumination function, I guess?
(anyhoo, i replaced the diode and now all is well).

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

"His opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster
"He came, he saw, he got pummelled" - Alvey on Keefy
"What a pair! Not a single word of rebuttal or reason,
just cretinous abuse" - Alvey on jonz and noddy
"His self serving ego pumping comments just read
like witless wankery"- Clocky on Keefy
"your opinion isn't worth 2 knobs of goat shit"- Xeno on Grubby Tech
"You cannot turn Darren's lies into the truth by attempting to *discredit*
what *I* say. You just make yourself look more of a dick"- Xeno to Grubby Tech

Re: Clocky question

<00a7e675-c2d8-43d0-8698-f0b9fdfdef99n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13054&group=aus.cars#13054

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 21:40:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Clocky question
From: johnhhhi...@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 04:40 UTC

On Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 15:29:02 UTC+11, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> The caps lock LED on the PC keyboard was dead, possibly due to me
> bashing it on the desk in anger and frustration at losing some online
> game, so I decided to replace the diode, because it was annoying not
> having any visual indication that the caps lock was on. So using a
> multimeter on the diode position to test a diode prior to inserting it,
> it wasn't lighting up, so I tried several more, but none were. so do
> some multimeters not have the diode illumination function, I guess?
> (anyhoo, i replaced the diode and now all is well).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
Well, well, Pepe dunno how to operate a Multi Meter......Tsk Tsk...

> --
> https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam
>
> FUCK PUTIN!!
>
> "His opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
> the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster
> "He came, he saw, he got pummelled" - Alvey on Keefy
> "What a pair! Not a single word of rebuttal or reason,
> just cretinous abuse" - Alvey on jonz and noddy
> "His self serving ego pumping comments just read
> like witless wankery"- Clocky on Keefy
> "your opinion isn't worth 2 knobs of goat shit"- Xeno on Grubby Tech
> "You cannot turn Darren's lies into the truth by attempting to *discredit*
> what *I* say. You just make yourself look more of a dick"- Xeno to Grubby Tech

Re: Clocky question

<t13n79$5fm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13055&group=aus.cars#13055

From: pjet...@yahoo.com (Pete)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:46:32 +1100
 by: Pete - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 04:46 UTC

> having any visual indication that the caps lock was on. So using a
> multimeter on the diode position to test a diode prior to inserting it,
> it wasn't lighting up, so I tried several more, but none were. so do
> some multimeters not have the diode illumination function, I guess?
> (anyhoo, i replaced the diode and now all is well).

Ordinary diodes have a forward voltage between about 0.4v and 0.7v.
LEDs have quite high forward voltages, between about 1.8v for red and
3.3v for blue. It's possible that your multimeter does not supply
enough voltage for the LED that you were testing.

You might have more luck lighting up LEDs using the multimeter's
resistance function, which often uses a higher voltage.

Peter

Re: Clocky question

<j9l9sbFavfuU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13057&group=aus.cars#13057

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:01:28 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 06:01 UTC

On 19/03/2022 3:46 pm, Pete wrote:
>> having any visual indication that the caps lock was on. So using a
>> multimeter on the diode position to test a diode prior to inserting
>> it, it wasn't lighting up, so I tried several more, but none were. so
>> do some multimeters not have the diode illumination function, I
>> guess? (anyhoo, i replaced the diode and now all is well).
>
> Ordinary diodes have a forward voltage between about 0.4v and 0.7v.
> LEDs have quite high forward voltages, between about 1.8v for red and
> 3.3v for blue.  It's possible that your multimeter does not supply
> enough voltage for the LED that you were testing.
>
> You might have more luck lighting up LEDs using the multimeter's
> resistance function, which often uses a higher voltage.
>
> Peter

thanks. they don't light using the resistance function either. the
multimeter is auto ranging, and there's no way to turn that off, would
that have something to do with it maybe?

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

"His opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster
"He came, he saw, he got pummelled" - Alvey on Keefy
"What a pair! Not a single word of rebuttal or reason,
just cretinous abuse" - Alvey on jonz and noddy
"His self serving ego pumping comments just read
like witless wankery"- Clocky on Keefy
"your opinion isn't worth 2 knobs of goat shit"- Xeno on Grubby Tech
"You cannot turn Darren's lies into the truth by attempting to *discredit*
what *I* say. You just make yourself look more of a dick"- Xeno to Grubby Tech

Re: Clocky question

<j9leceFbojjU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13060&group=aus.cars#13060

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 18:17:33 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 07:17 UTC

On 19/03/2022 5:01 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 3:46 pm, Pete wrote:
>>> having any visual indication that the caps lock was on. So using a
>>> multimeter on the diode position to test a diode prior to inserting
>>> it, it wasn't lighting up, so I tried several more, but none were. so
>>> do some multimeters not have the diode illumination function, I
>>> guess? (anyhoo, i replaced the diode and now all is well).
>>
>> Ordinary diodes have a forward voltage between about 0.4v and 0.7v.
>> LEDs have quite high forward voltages, between about 1.8v for red and
>> 3.3v for blue.  It's possible that your multimeter does not supply
>> enough voltage for the LED that you were testing.
>>
>> You might have more luck lighting up LEDs using the multimeter's
>> resistance function, which often uses a higher voltage.
>>
>> Peter
>>

> thanks. they don't light using the resistance function either. the
> multimeter is auto ranging, and there's no way to turn that off, would
> that have something to do with it maybe?

**Nope. As Pete has stated, you don't have sufficient Voltage available
to light the LED. OTOH, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that you damaged the
LED. LEDs are incredibly robust. It is more likely you damaged the
printed circuit board or some other component. To properly test an LED,
will require that it be removed first. After you do that, I will outline
a suitable test procedure. However, it is not likely to be the LED.

Re: Clocky question

<j9ll5rFd064U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13063&group=aus.cars#13063

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 20:14:15 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 09:14 UTC

On 19/03/2022 6:17 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> Ordinary diodes have a forward voltage between about 0.4v and 0.7v.
>>> LEDs have quite high forward voltages, between about 1.8v for red
>>> and 3.3v for blue.  It's possible that your multimeter does not
>>> supply enough voltage for the LED that you were testing.
>>>
>>> You might have more luck lighting up LEDs using the multimeter's
>>> resistance function, which often uses a higher voltage.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> thanks. they don't light using the resistance function either. the
>> multimeter is auto ranging, and there's no way to turn that off,
>> would that have something to do with it maybe?
>>

> **Nope. As Pete has stated, you don't have sufficient Voltage
> available to light the LED. OTOH, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that you
> damaged the LED. LEDs are incredibly robust. It is more likely you
> damaged the printed circuit board or some other component.

I was testing the LED i was going to use not the one on the board. as I
said above "using a multimeter on the diode position to test a diode
prior to inserting it"

> To properly test an LED, will require that it be removed first. After
> you do that, I will outline a suitable test procedure. However, it is
> not likely to be the LED.

it was the LED because replacing it solved the problem. and LED's do
fail. a good example are LED traffic lights. we often see dead leds on
those.

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

"His opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster
"He came, he saw, he got pummelled" - Alvey on Keefy
"What a pair! Not a single word of rebuttal or reason,
just cretinous abuse" - Alvey on jonz and noddy
"His self serving ego pumping comments just read
like witless wankery"- Clocky on Keefy
"your opinion isn't worth 2 knobs of goat shit"- Xeno on Grubby Tech
"You cannot turn Darren's lies into the truth by attempting to *discredit*
what *I* say. You just make yourself look more of a dick"- Xeno to Grubby Tech

Re: Clocky question

<j9mhntFicr3U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13085&group=aus.cars#13085

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 04:20:57 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:20 UTC

On 19/03/2022 8:14 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 6:17 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> thanks. they don't light using the resistance function either. the
>>> multimeter is auto ranging, and there's no way to turn that off,
>>> would that have something to do with it maybe?
>>>

>> **Nope. As Pete has stated, you don't have sufficient Voltage
>> available to light the LED. OTOH, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that you
>> damaged the LED. LEDs are incredibly robust. It is more likely you
>> damaged the printed circuit board or some other component.
>

> I was testing the LED i was going to use not the one on the board. as I
> said above "using a multimeter on the diode position to test a diode
> prior to inserting it"
>

>> To properly test an LED, will require that it be removed first. After
>> you do that, I will outline a suitable test procedure. However, it is
>> not likely to be the LED.
>>

> it was the LED because replacing it solved the problem. and LED's do
> fail. a good example are LED traffic lights. we often see dead leds on
> those.

**I did not say that LEDs NEVER fail. Failures of LEDs is very rare and
unlikely, due to physical events. Except white LEDs, as they are very
different to coloured LEDs. White LEDs are more fragile and have a
pre-determined life-span. Coloured LEDs do not. They could, in theory,
last forever. I don't know if LEDs fail in traffic lights, or if it is
part of the driver circuits.

Anyway, you solved the problem.

Re: Clocky question

<j9np0aFpg9sU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13094&group=aus.cars#13094

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 15:31:53 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 04:31 UTC

On 20/03/2022 4:20 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 8:14 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> **Nope. As Pete has stated, you don't have sufficient Voltage
>>> available to light the LED. OTOH, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that you
>>> damaged the LED. LEDs are incredibly robust. It is more likely you
>>> damaged the printed circuit board or some other component.
>>

>> I was testing the LED i was going to use not the one on the board. as
>> I said above "using a multimeter on the diode position to test a
>> diode prior to inserting it"
>>

>>> To properly test an LED, will require that it be removed first.
>>> After you do that, I will outline a suitable test procedure.
>>> However, it is not likely to be the LED.
>>>

>> it was the LED because replacing it solved the problem. and LED's do
>> fail. a good example are LED traffic lights. we often see dead leds
>> on those.
>>

> **I did not say that LEDs NEVER fail. Failures of LEDs is very rare
> and unlikely, due to physical events. Except white LEDs, as they are
> very different to coloured LEDs. White LEDs are more fragile and have
> a pre-determined life-span. Coloured LEDs do not. They could, in
> theory, last forever. I don't know if LEDs fail in traffic lights, or
> if it is part of the driver circuits.

when several leds are out on a traffic light it's unlikely to be the
driver circut which would be turning all the leds on or off together,
not controlling individual leds. yes?

> Anyway, you solved the problem.

yup! easy fix.  :)

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

"His opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster
"He came, he saw, he got pummelled" - Alvey on Keefy
"What a pair! Not a single word of rebuttal or reason,
just cretinous abuse" - Alvey on jonz and noddy
"His self serving ego pumping comments just read
like witless wankery"- Clocky on Keefy
"your opinion isn't worth 2 knobs of goat shit"- Xeno on Grubby Tech
"You cannot turn Darren's lies into the truth by attempting to *discredit*
what *I* say. You just make yourself look more of a dick"- Xeno to Grubby Tech

Re: Clocky question

<j9p982F3slpU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13099&group=aus.cars#13099

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 05:14:23 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 18:14 UTC

On 20/03/2022 3:31 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 20/03/2022 4:20 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> I was testing the LED i was going to use not the one on the board. as
>>> I said above "using a multimeter on the diode position to test a
>>> diode prior to inserting it"

>>> it was the LED because replacing it solved the problem. and LED's do
>>> fail. a good example are LED traffic lights. we often see dead leds
>>> on those.
>>>

>> **I did not say that LEDs NEVER fail. Failures of LEDs is very rare
>> and unlikely, due to physical events. Except white LEDs, as they are
>> very different to coloured LEDs. White LEDs are more fragile and have
>> a pre-determined life-span. Coloured LEDs do not. They could, in
>> theory, last forever. I don't know if LEDs fail in traffic lights, or
>> if it is part of the driver circuits.
>

> when several leds are out on a traffic light it's unlikely to be the
> driver circut which would be turning all the leds on or off together,
> not controlling individual leds. yes?

**I don't now, as I've never seen inside one. No amp I likely to do so.
I would speculate that the following is likely:

* Several LEDs (prolly 4 ~ 6 or so) are operated in series. Each string
has it's own, possibly switch mode, driver, causing the LEDs to switch
on and off at high frequency. This is done, because LEDs can be made to
operate with high brightness in this way. Strings of LEDs are then
operated in parallel. By this method, multiple redundancy exists, should
one LED or one driver fail.

Again: Just speculation on my part.

>> Anyway, you solved the problem.
>

> yup! easy fix.  :)

Re: Clocky question

<j9pn0uF6e46U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13101&group=aus.cars#13101

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 09:09:33 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 22:09 UTC

On 21/03/2022 5:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

> **I don't now, as I've never seen inside one. No amp I likely to do so.
> I would speculate that the following is likely:

Geez, what a cluster-fuck. Should read:

I don't know, as I've never seen inside one. Nor amp I likely to do so.

Re: Clocky question

<j9q774F99r9U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13102&group=aus.cars#13102

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 13:46:50 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 02:46 UTC

On 21/03/2022 5:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 20/03/2022 3:31 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> **I did not say that LEDs NEVER fail.

yes, the one in my keyboard did

>>> Failures of LEDs is very rare and unlikely, due to physical events.
>>> Except white LEDs, as they are very different to coloured LEDs.
>>> White LEDs are more fragile and have a pre-determined life-span.
>>> Coloured LEDs do not. They could, in theory, last forever. I don't
>>> know if LEDs fail in traffic lights, or if it is part of the driver
>>> circuits.
>>

>> when several leds are out on a traffic light it's unlikely to be the
>> driver circut which would be turning all the leds on or off together,
>> not controlling individual leds. yes?
>
> **I don't now, as I've never seen inside one. Nor am I likely to do
> so. I would speculate that the following is likely:
>
> * Several LEDs (prolly 4 ~ 6 or so) are operated in series. Each
> string has it's own, possibly switch mode, driver, causing the LEDs to
> switch on and off at high frequency. This is done, because LEDs can be
> made to operate with high brightness in this way. Strings of LEDs are
> then operated in parallel. By this method, multiple redundancy exists,
> should one LED or one driver fail.
>
> Again: Just speculation on my part.

Ok, but when the light is green and (say) three random leds aren't
illuminated, then when it turns red and the same three aren't, the most
likely cause is led failure. or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.
like you I'm unaware of the internals of traffic lights, so maybe it's
just a case of dry joints on the PCB maybe caused by the extremes of
temperature that traffic lights experience causing the leds to fail to
illuminate? and how significant is the effect of temperature extremes on
the life of leds?

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

"His opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster
"He came, he saw, he got pummelled" - Alvey on Keefy
"What a pair! Not a single word of rebuttal or reason,
just cretinous abuse" - Alvey on jonz and noddy
"His self serving ego pumping comments just read
like witless wankery"- Clocky on Keefy
"your opinion isn't worth 2 knobs of goat shit"- Xeno on Grubby Tech
"You cannot turn Darren's lies into the truth by attempting to *discredit*
what *I* say. You just make yourself look more of a dick"- Xeno to Grubby Tech

Re: Clocky question

<t18pss$jjm$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13104&group=aus.cars#13104

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 11:02:51 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 03:02 UTC

On 21/03/2022 10:46 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 21/03/2022 5:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

> yes, the one in my keyboard did

>>> when several leds are out on a traffic light it's unlikely to be the
>>> driver circut which would be turning all the leds on or off together,
>>> not controlling individual leds. yes?
>>
>> **I don't now, as I've never seen inside one. Nor am I likely to do
>> so. I would speculate that the following is likely:
>>
>> * Several LEDs (prolly 4 ~ 6 or so) are operated in series. Each
>> string has it's own, possibly switch mode, driver, causing the LEDs to
>> switch on and off at high frequency. This is done, because LEDs can be
>> made to operate with high brightness in this way. Strings of LEDs are
>> then operated in parallel. By this method, multiple redundancy exists,
>> should one LED or one driver fail.
>>
>> Again: Just speculation on my part.
>

> Ok, but when the light is green and (say) three random leds aren't
> illuminated, then when it turns red and the same three aren't, the most
> likely cause is led failure. or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.
> like you I'm unaware of the internals of traffic lights, so maybe it's
> just a case of dry joints on the PCB maybe caused by the extremes of
> temperature that traffic lights experience causing the leds to fail to
> illuminate? and how significant is the effect of temperature extremes on
> the life of leds?

Just as likely moisture ingress which can most certainly cause LED's to
fail.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if

Re: Clocky question

<j9qhi7Fb47kU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13112&group=aus.cars#13112

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 16:43:25 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 05:43 UTC

On 21/03/2022 2:02 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 21/03/2022 10:46 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>> yes, the one in my keyboard did

>>> **I don't now, as I've never seen inside one. Nor am I likely to do
>>> so. I would speculate that the following is likely:
>>>
>>> * Several LEDs (prolly 4 ~ 6 or so) are operated in series. Each
>>> string has it's own, possibly switch mode, driver, causing the LEDs
>>> to switch on and off at high frequency. This is done, because LEDs
>>> can be made to operate with high brightness in this way. Strings of
>>> LEDs are then operated in parallel. By this method, multiple
>>> redundancy exists, should one LED or one driver fail.
>>>
>>> Again: Just speculation on my part.
>>

>> Ok, but when the light is green and (say) three random leds aren't
>> illuminated, then when it turns red and the same three aren't, the
>> most likely cause is led failure. or maybe I'm barking up the wrong
>> tree. like you I'm unaware of the internals of traffic lights, so
>> maybe it's just a case of dry joints on the PCB maybe caused by the
>> extremes of temperature that traffic lights experience causing the
>> leds to fail to illuminate? and how significant is the effect of
>> temperature extremes on the life of leds?
>>

> Just as likely moisture ingress which can most certainly cause LED's
> to fail.

I would assume traffic lights would be designed with the ingress of
water or other contaminants in mind, so do you mean condensation maybe?

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

"His opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster
"He came, he saw, he got pummelled" - Alvey on Keefy
"What a pair! Not a single word of rebuttal or reason,
just cretinous abuse" - Alvey on jonz and noddy
"His self serving ego pumping comments just read
like witless wankery"- Clocky on Keefy
"your opinion isn't worth 2 knobs of goat shit"- Xeno on Grubby Tech
"You cannot turn Darren's lies into the truth by attempting to *discredit*
what *I* say. You just make yourself look more of a dick"- Xeno to Grubby Tech

Re: Clocky question

<j9qi4tFb6cmU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13113&group=aus.cars#13113

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 16:52:29 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 05:52 UTC

On 21/03/2022 1:46 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 21/03/2022 5:14 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:

> yes, the one in my keyboard did

>>> when several leds are out on a traffic light it's unlikely to be the
>>> driver circut which would be turning all the leds on or off together,
>>> not controlling individual leds. yes?
>>
>> **I don't now, as I've never seen inside one. Nor am I likely to do
>> so. I would speculate that the following is likely:
>>
>> * Several LEDs (prolly 4 ~ 6 or so) are operated in series. Each
>> string has it's own, possibly switch mode, driver, causing the LEDs to
>> switch on and off at high frequency. This is done, because LEDs can be
>> made to operate with high brightness in this way. Strings of LEDs are
>> then operated in parallel. By this method, multiple redundancy exists,
>> should one LED or one driver fail.
>>
>> Again: Just speculation on my part.
>

> Ok, but when the light is green and (say) three random leds aren't
> illuminated, then when it turns red and the same three aren't, the most
> likely cause is led failure. or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.
> like you I'm unaware of the internals of traffic lights, so maybe it's
> just a case of dry joints on the PCB maybe caused by the extremes of
> temperature that traffic lights experience causing the leds to fail to
> illuminate? and how significant is the effect of temperature extremes on
> the life of leds?

**Well, since I am not familiar with LED traffic lights, can't say.
However, I suspect my previous assumptions are correct. As for extremes
of temperature causing dry solder joints, I would not expect that of a
professionally engineered product. Possible that the original
construction was poorly done though. More likely it is an LED failure,
or failure of the driver circuits.

Re: Clocky question

<t197j0$q4q$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13114&group=aus.cars#13114

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 14:56:20 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 21 Mar 2022 06:56 UTC

On 21/03/2022 1:43 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 21/03/2022 2:02 pm, Clocky wrote:

>>> yes, the one in my keyboard did

>>> Ok, but when the light is green and (say) three random leds aren't
>>> illuminated, then when it turns red and the same three aren't, the
>>> most likely cause is led failure. or maybe I'm barking up the wrong
>>> tree. like you I'm unaware of the internals of traffic lights, so
>>> maybe it's just a case of dry joints on the PCB maybe caused by the
>>> extremes of temperature that traffic lights experience causing the
>>> leds to fail to illuminate? and how significant is the effect of
>>> temperature extremes on the life of leds?
>>>

>> Just as likely moisture ingress which can most certainly cause LED's
>> to fail.
>>

> I would assume traffic lights would be designed with the ingress of
> water or other contaminants in mind, so do you mean condensation maybe?

That too but seal and hermetically sealed can leak over time, see it a
lot in things like LED indicators, spot lights and park lights on cars
and such. Especially cheap Chinese shit.