From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Successful Windows 11: no online account, no TPM
Date: 22 Aug 2021 11:32:08 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 10:32 UTC

I set up a new laptop with Windows 11. Turns out you can (for the moment)
ignore all the hardware requirements that have been discussed.

Because said laptop is Tiger Lake, the Windows 10 installer couldn't find
the SSD and wouldn't recognise any vendor drivers. Which makes installation
a bit problematic. So here's what I did:

Go here:
https://uupdump.net/
which has a tool to build a Windows 11 ISO image (something Microsoft don't
offer at the present time). Run it, to generate an ISO of Insider Preview
build 22000. I didn't need an Insider account to download it.

This ISO still couldn't find any NVMe drivers on my laptop. So I then
booted the ISO in QEMU - I set it to use UEFI but otherwise kept everything
default. That means it models a Pentium 2 motherboard from 1996 (with an
Ice Lake CPU that the machine it was running on had). No TPM. It booted
Win11 just fine.

I installed Windows 11 to a virtual drive in QEMU. When it wanted me to
login to a Microsoft account, the trick is to put in a bogus email and
password, which will fail. Then it allows you to create a local
account instead.

On the laptop I booted Ubuntu and use dd to write the virtual drive image to
the NVMe drive (which Ubuntu could see happily)

I then rebooted the laptop into Windows 11. Lots of things didn't work
(touch screen, trackpad), but trackpoint and wifi did. So configure wifi
then off to Windows update and a long list of driver updates was available
to download.

Let it do that, reboot, I have a clean functional unactivated Windows 11
install without any cloud account. The laptop does have a TPM, but the
install in QEMU was quite happy to work without it.

The QEMU step was just to work around the foibles of my particular laptop,
but I think you could use this route to install Win11 on a wide range of
machines, as it doesn't seem to be too fussy about the hardware it's
installing on.

Theo

Re: Successful Windows 11: no online account, no TPM

<Qeh*Uyjsy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1296&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1296

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Successful Windows 11: no online account, no TPM
Date: 22 Aug 2021 15:01:30 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sun, 22 Aug 2021 14:01 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> I installed Windows 11 to a virtual drive in QEMU. When it wanted me to
> login to a Microsoft account, the trick is to put in a bogus email and
> password, which will fail. Then it allows you to create a local
> account instead.

And it turns out that I can install things from the Windows Store without
logging in either - you press Install, and it prompts you to login to a MS
account. But the app starts downloading anyway, so you can cancel the login
and it installs just fine.

Not sure if that's unique to Insider builds, or whether it will work on
release versions of Windows 11.

Theo

Re: Successful Windows 11: no online account, no TPM

<iojppbFc4n1U3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1311&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1311

From: Gor...@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 24 Aug 2021 08:43:24 GMT
 by: Gordon - Tue, 24 Aug 2021 08:43 UTC

On 2021-08-22, Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>> I installed Windows 11 to a virtual drive in QEMU. When it wanted me to
>> login to a Microsoft account, the trick is to put in a bogus email and
>> password, which will fail. Then it allows you to create a local
>> account instead.
>
> And it turns out that I can install things from the Windows Store without
> logging in either - you press Install, and it prompts you to login to a MS
> account. But the app starts downloading anyway, so you can cancel the login
> and it installs just fine.
>
> Not sure if that's unique to Insider builds, or whether it will work on
> release versions of Windows 11.

This works this way on Windows 10.