Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Play Want Bin Ice and Snow (PWBE 16 Jan 2023)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 00:35:38 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 00:35 UTC

It's a good thing that the weather is not only predictable but
consistent so that everyone can be properly prepared in advance.

Play:
--=--

Elden Ring (PS5) - Woo, Valiant Gargoyle down. It took me a good four
tries to find a good strategy that allowed me to stand far enough away
and fling the right kinds of spells. I didn't know until I'd beaten this
boss that the stone coffins floating around in the water is essentially
the Elden Ring equivalent of mass transit, because they all connected to
places I'd been to before. I ended up being able to take on the boss at
the end of the Deeproot Basin without any preparation or real
understanding of what I was doing. I'm still tempering my enthusiasm,
because I do sense that I don't love Elden Ring as much as I do Demon's
Souls or Bloodborne.

The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (PS2/Xbox) - So the remaster is
MIA, but I didn't even know about it when I'd decided to buy these on
the strength of having the story spoiled for me. This is one of the ways
that I know that I'm weird, in that I don't care about experiencing a
narrative completely blind. I prefer to know the twist or the hook
because I want to know that my time is being spent on something
worthwhile. To me the presentation is worth more than the surprise. With
that said, it's a pretty terrible game with a lot of pre-scripted action
setpieces that aren't really done up in a way that respects the players
autonomy. I'm starting to see now that there are a ton of PS2-era games
like that, where pushing the button just made the next thing happen
rather than you organically making a decision about where to go next.

Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (PS2) - I'm only a little bit
annoyed that the arcade emulation on the PS2 for Street Fighter III
Third Strike is better than what they did on the Dreamcast. Better
not fit for purpose here. The further away we get from 1991, the more
primitive and rudimentary all of the SFII games look, even Hyper SFII,
and I'm barely able to enjoy that era of the property.

Want:
--=--

My physical game orders from last year - Procession to Calvary got hit
by pandemic-related manufacturing delays, and is now a full 14 months
behind the schedule Red Art games originally proposed. For similar
reasons, a bunch of stuff from Strictly Limited is just under a year
late. I need to start doing better research about which of these games
are getting actual US-region releases through normal channels.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $62

-KKC, who didn't have time to fit in the Pitfall games.

Re: Play Want Bin Ice and Snow (PWBE 16 Jan 2023)

<AwyxL.2684840$MJk2.1365723@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1320&group=uk.games.video.misc#1320

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Play Want Bin Ice and Snow (PWBE 16 Jan 2023)
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2023 14:45:52 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Tue, 17 Jan 2023 14:45 UTC

> Play:

Minetest (Linux) - hitting things with an axe accomplished, and wood
levels boosted. I also found a sort of semi-underwater tunnel with
waterfall "walls" that I'd left unfinished, probably because such a
thing is quite the PITA to manage. The problem is primarily the way
the game determines how an ocean-style body of water does a sort of
viral spread, and how running water then flows from that volume. It
mostly makes sense but will also do some really counterintuitive
things at corners and so on. Anyway, after plenty of flooding I did
finish off the tunnel, which I will probably never use as it just
follows the path of an existing bridge. Nice.

> Want:

Nothing.

> Bin:

Floods.

Always wanting more draw distance when I play Minetest Game. I do
usually play with 120 (better than on Mineclone 2 where I stick with
100), but it's hard not to wish you could see for, say, 1000 voxels
with full visibility and a non-zero framerate.

-Rus.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Play Want Bin Ice and Snow (PWBE 16 Jan 2023)