Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Play Want Bin Sure Why Not (PWBE 30 Jan 2023)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 00:13:26 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 00:13 UTC

Seems like a good year to take chances. As long as you've got money in
military hardware or chicken eggs or something.

Play:
--=--

Elden Ring (PS5) - Oh hey, there's an abandoned cave down here in this
crevice that I never noticed before. It is literally called 'Abandoned
Cave' on the map. I'm sitting here mopping up old bosses I left alone
previously, some of which were more challenging and less rewarding than
others. Essentially I'm just looking for things to do to avoid having to
take on the Godskin Duo boss fight that gates off the rest of the game
content, because that particular fight and that general area is just not
very much fun.

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure (GBA) - I bought this on an inexplicable
whim not too long ago and just now got around to it. I forgot that I
have the Mega CD version of this game already and that I knew (somewhere
in my brain) that this was a somewhat boring scrolling platformer that
was nothing like the single-screen puzzle experience of the original
2600 game.

Want:
--=--

My Play-Asia order - Ooh, it's shipped. What else can I complain about
having paid for without having received yet?

My Analogue Pocket cart adapters - Oh hey. I got out all my Neo Geo
Pocket carts in December and I can't use them on my snazzy new hardware
yet. I've also got my Lynx library ready to go and I'd rather not go
whole hog into a screen replacement for the original hardware if I can
avoid it.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $134

Super Smash Bros (3DS) - $16
Donkey Kong Country Returns (3DS) - $14
New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS) - $17

Total to date - $181

-KKC, who should really get back to a nice Yakuza game soon.

Re: Play Want Bin Sure Why Not (PWBE 30 Jan 2023)

<yIVBL.2953966$MJk2.2825146@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1324&group=uk.games.video.misc#1324

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Play Want Bin Sure Why Not (PWBE 30 Jan 2023)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 20:25:02 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 20:25 UTC

> Play:

Minecraft (PSV) - the Vita version of Minecraft is the only one I've
tried that's clicked for me, so I played this a bunch (again just
solo, as with my Minetest Game and Mineclone 2 maps). As you might
imagine there are strong similarities to Mineclone 2, so I had a
pretty good idea of how to go about things - the most immediately
noticeable difference is probably that moving around in water is much
more annoying in Minecraft, and water flows way faster. The
underground cavern spawns also seem quite different, as they're mostly
narrower, but can be very tall in some cases. Odd.

> Want:

In theory, to eventually reach The End in Minecraft, that arguably
being the main draw of (somewhat) proper Minecraft over Mineclone 2
which seems to not include that area at all. Whether I ever do that or
not is another matter, especially as I tend to be more concerned with
just the mining and the crafting. And gratuitous climbing of things.

> Bin:

My Minecraft map not having any obvious sign of a village, and being
heavily dominated by snow-covered ground (it's maybe 80% of the map).
Also the map on this version is fairly small, the normal area is only
about 850x850 I think.

-Rus.

Re: Play Want Bin Sure Why Not (PWBE 30 Jan 2023)

<k3v2a8Fo2a8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1327&group=uk.games.video.misc#1327

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 1 Feb 2023 11:55:52 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 1 Feb 2023 11:55 UTC

On 30 Jan 2023 at 00:13:26 GMT, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
<kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> Seems like a good year to take chances. As long as you've got money in
> military hardware or chicken eggs or something.

Money in chicken eggs sounds messy.

> Play:
> --=--

Gotham Knights (PMG, PS5) - I came clean to Angus that we'd been playing
on Easy difficulty, which was why it was so easy and not just because
there were two of us when he'd been playing solo before Christmas.
Turned it up to Normal, and now we have to actually plan and coordinate
our stealthy takedowns - and at some point we'll learn not to *both*
batwire up to the same handy vantage point at the same time, as the
second arrival falls off and alerts the goon (ie lands on their head)
that we were both planning on stealth-swooping on. The game is better
for being harder, else it's just a brawler.
Having the character's haircut length being part of their suit design is
a bit odd, since you change suits every hour or so in the normal course
of upgrades or pick an antifreeze suit for going against Mr Freeze for
example. I'm playing Barbara/Batgirl and it's weird seeing her go from
bob to long in suit vs civvies back at the ~~batcave~~ Belfry.

Persona 3 Portable (Switch) - I've previously played several hours of
P4G and P5 and fallen off both due to time-management FOMO "aargh I'm
definitely not maxing my stats appropriately" and also "I hate card
decks and I don't understand the persona system at all" stuff. P3P is a
much gentler experience, although I'm finding day-of-the-week and
calendar management a bit annoying; why isn't there a calendar with the
future date events you've heard about marked on it in your menu? Seven
hours in now, on the second block of Tartarus, going well and I've been
experimenting with Persona builds even. Also turns out I seem to have
adapted to cards rather being instantly turned off by them - but this
isn't a deck-builder so maybe that's why.

I got about halfway through Akiba's Beat a while back, and it's funny
seeing just how much of a clone of p3p that is given it's ten years
younger.

> Want:
> --=--

Tears of the Kingdom, I have my Ryujinx-on-M1 Mac set up waiting for it.

> Bin:
> -==-

I keep having thoughts about flogging my older kit; the stuff that's
basically fully supplanted by MiSTer or emulators and is Hard or worse
to connect to a modern screen. I have no love for CRTs, nor for the
price of a RetroTink to put in between them. Hmm.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted"
-- Bertrand Russell

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Play Want Bin Sure Why Not (PWBE 30 Jan 2023)