The most common form of marriage proposal: "YOU'RE WHAT!?"

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Cyclists WON'T need number plates — Grant Shapps again insists "we're not going to do number plates"

SubjectAuthor
* Cyclists WON'T need number plates — Grant Shapps aswldx...@gmail.com
`- Re: Cyclists WON'T need number plates — Grant Shapswldx...@gmail.com

1
Cyclists WON'T need number plates — Grant Shapps again insists "we're not going to do number plates"

<6be75682-e438-40b1-ae26-e62261561a5dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13231&group=uk.rec.cycling#13231

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 05:39:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Cyclists_WON'T_need_number_plates_—_Grant_Shapps_a
gain_insists_"we're_not_going_to_do_number_plates"
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 12:39 UTC

Just two weeks since Grant Shapps first aired the idea of number plates for cyclists in one interview, while simultaneously saying he opposed the idea in another, the Transport Secretary has addressed the matter once more to say the government is "not going to do number plates".

Speaking to The Times (link is external) newspaper, Shapps described himself as a "very keen enthusiast" cyclist, if "not a mamil [middle-aged man in Lycra]", and said "we're not going to do number plates".

"We’re not going to do number plates," Shapps said. "There is no death by dangerous cycling on our statute books. At the moment it has to be addressed through an old piece of legislation, which is actually designed for horses and carts, which is deeply unsatisfying.

"When I pointed that out, some people said, ‘Surely then you'll need to know which bike is which?’ But when there's been an incident generally you know who it was.

"I’m a very keen enthusiast [cyclist]. I'm not a mamil [middle-aged man in Lycra], I wear my ordinary clothes, but I do like to go out. I converted my 90-year-old dad’s old bike — it looks so old no one would want to nick it — to electric for a bit of help going uphill."

Shapps' comments follow similar explanation from the Department for Transport who told road.cc the minister's view in a previous Times interview, saying he was opposed to the bureaucracy of bike number plates, was closer to the truth than the Mail's all-out insurance, registration and licence account.

On Wednesday, an MP who co-chairs the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) for Cycling and Walking said she had been assured by the Department for Transport that there are no plans for cyclists to be required to display number plates or take out compulsory third party insurance.

"The Transport Secretary's foray into the politics of cycling has certainly generated much debate and again demonstrated the strength of feeling from those pro and against cycling about how to best ensure the safety of all road users," Selaine Saxby wrote in a magazine column.

"From a policy perspective I have been assured by the Department of Transport, as the Transport Secretary has reiterated to the press, that he has no plans to introduce number plates for bicycles or compulsory insurance."

https://road.cc/content/news/grant-shapps-confirms-cyclists-wont-need-number-plate-295539

Re: Cyclists WON'T need number plates — Grant Shapps again insists "we're not going to do number plates"

<845e4215-4acd-4758-bd55-3de426fb50c8n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13237&group=uk.rec.cycling#13237

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 06:34:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Cyclists_WON'T_need_number_plates_—_Grant_Shap
ps_again_insists_"we're_not_going_to_do_number_plates"
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 13:34 UTC

Who care what he says? He'll be out on his arse when Truss moves into Number 10 in a couple of weeks. Then it'll be another ghoul who'll use cyclist-hatred talking points to win a few brownie points from the far-right newspapers, while civil servants diligently remind them that any kind of licensing or road tax for cycling would be wildly expensive and massively counterproductive to public health. Whether anything comes of it depends entirely on how desperate the Tories get to invent new internal enemies, now they've supposedly banished (or somehow in their supporters' minds taken back control from) manufactured external enemies.