E Pluribus Unix

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / OT: Audible - what's the catch?

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Audible - what's the catch?Jenny M Benson
+- Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Serena Blanchflower
+* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Nick Odell
|+* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Linda Fox
||+- Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Linda Fox
||`* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Penny
|| `* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Vicky
||  `* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?John Ashby
||   `* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Nick Odell
||    `* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?John Ashby
||     `* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Penny
||      `* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?John Ashby
||       `* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Joe Kerr
||        `* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Mike McMillan
||         `* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?John Ashby
||          `* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Penny
||           `* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?BrritSki
||            `* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Nick Odell
||             `- Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Mike McMillan
|`* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Tim Cook
| `- Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Serena Blanchflower
`* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Penny
 +- Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Linda Fox
 `* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Jenny M Benson
  +* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Serena Blanchflower
  |`* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Jenny M Benson
  | `* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Serena Blanchflower
  |  `- Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Linda Fox
  +* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Serena Blanchflower
  |`* Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Penny
  | `- Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Serena Blanchflower
  `- Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?Penny

Pages:12
OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<k0c71hFsnpmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13238&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13238

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: OT: Audible - what's the catch?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 22:31:12 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 22:31 UTC

A subscription to Audible costs £7.99 per month, so a little short of
£96 a year.

A 12-month Gift subscription to Audible costs £69.99.

On the face of it, I'm much better off giving my daughter £70 and saying
"gift me a sub to Audible, please" rather than simply signing up for a
sub myself. Or am I missing something?

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<tnqqgh$f4j3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13241&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13241

From: nos...@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 23:01:37 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 23:01 UTC

On 19/12/2022 22:31, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> A subscription to Audible costs £7.99 per month, so a little short of
> £96 a year.
>
> A 12-month Gift subscription to Audible costs £69.99.
>
> On the face of it, I'm much better off giving my daughter £70 and saying
> "gift me a sub to Audible, please" rather than simply signing up for a
> sub myself.  Or am I missing something?

The better option might be to go for the option to pay them the £69.99
up front for an annual subscription. That way you get your 12 credits
for the year up front rather than having to use them one per month. If
(as I generally do, despite buying 24 credits per year) you run out
before the end of the year, they will sell you heavily discounted
further credits.

<https://help.audible.co.uk/s/article/what-are-the-different-membership-plans-audible-offers>

--
Best wishes, Serena
Sometimes I sits and thinks... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<8ur1qhh8rdj8s27b85dubudeeo8i35kqhj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13243&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13243

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 23:24:45 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 23:24 UTC

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 22:31:12 +0000, Jenny M Benson
<NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>A subscription to Audible costs £7.99 per month, so a little short of
>£96 a year.
>
>A 12-month Gift subscription to Audible costs £69.99.
>
>On the face of it, I'm much better off giving my daughter £70 and saying
>"gift me a sub to Audible, please" rather than simply signing up for a
>sub myself. Or am I missing something?

I am neither an Audible subscriber nor an Amazon Prime subscriber so I
really can't tell you anything about the benefits of either but I
presume the catch is that after a year they've a)got you hooked and
b)will only let you renew at the proper price.

Have you tried YouTube? There are masses of full-length free
audiobooks there - some are of dubious and amateurish quality and some
are superb. Try using 'audiobook' as a starting search term then
expand it in any directions that interest you. You can listen directly
from YouTube but I find it more convenient to use a YouTube downloader
tool and save .mp3 files to wherever I want to listen from.

Nick

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<sbs1qh54eppbtdkrh1eidnuh4b0ou17k9k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13244&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13244

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 23:26:59 +0000
 by: Penny - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 23:26 UTC

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 22:31:12 +0000, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk>
a gribouillé dans la poussière...

>A subscription to Audible costs £7.99 per month, so a little short of
>£96 a year.
>
>A 12-month Gift subscription to Audible costs £69.99.
>
>On the face of it, I'm much better off giving my daughter £70 and saying
>"gift me a sub to Audible, please" rather than simply signing up for a
>sub myself. Or am I missing something?

Audio books from the library are free to download (and if you have a close
friend who lives in a different county, you may find a different range of
titles there).
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<tnrkp3$1123$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13246&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13246

From: linda...@ntlworld.com (Linda Fox)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 06:29:55 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Linda Fox - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 06:29 UTC

Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 22:31:12 +0000, Jenny M Benson
> <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> A subscription to Audible costs £7.99 per month, so a little short of
>> £96 a year.
>>
>> A 12-month Gift subscription to Audible costs £69.99.
>>
>> On the face of it, I'm much better off giving my daughter £70 and saying
>> "gift me a sub to Audible, please" rather than simply signing up for a
>> sub myself. Or am I missing something?
>
> I am neither an Audible subscriber nor an Amazon Prime subscriber so I
> really can't tell you anything about the benefits of either but I
> presume the catch is that after a year they've a)got you hooked and
> b)will only let you renew at the proper price.
>
> Have you tried YouTube? There are masses of full-length free
> audiobooks there - some are of dubious and amateurish quality and some
> are superb. Try using 'audiobook' as a starting search term then
> expand it in any directions that interest you. You can listen directly
> from YouTube but I find it more convenient to use a YouTube downloader
> tool and save .mp3 files to wherever I want to listen from.
>
> Nick

The advantage - AIUI anyway - is that Audible picks up where you left
off. Or do other systems (YouTube etc) now do the same thing?

Now that I have an Alexa, I find I can listen to Kindle books. The voice is
not too robotic, but of course there's no variety in the expression -
still, it's a huge improvement on VoiceOver.

--
Linda ff

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<tnrkp3$1123$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13247&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13247

From: linda...@ntlworld.com (Linda Fox)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 06:29:55 -0000 (UTC)

Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 22:31:12 +0000, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk>
> a gribouillé dans la poussière...
>
>> A subscription to Audible costs £7.99 per month, so a little short of
>> £96 a year.
>>
>> A 12-month Gift subscription to Audible costs £69.99.
>>
>> On the face of it, I'm much better off giving my daughter £70 and saying
>> "gift me a sub to Audible, please" rather than simply signing up for a
>> sub myself. Or am I missing something?
>
> Audio books from the library are free to download (and if you have a close
> friend who lives in a different county, you may find a different range of
> titles there).

The big advantage of Audible is that it picks up where it left off - or do
other systems also do this?

Now that I have an Alexa thingy, I find I can listen to Kindle books; the
voice doesn't sound too robotic, though of course it won't get excited,
vary the pace or pitch or volume or do accents for different pe, but it's
still a great improvement on VoiceOver.

--
Linda ff

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<tnrkur$12ou$2@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13248&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13248

From: linda...@ntlworld.com (Linda Fox)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 06:32:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Linda Fox - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 06:32 UTC

Linda Fox <linda.ff@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 22:31:12 +0000, Jenny M Benson
>> <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> A subscription to Audible costs £7.99 per month, so a little short of
>>> £96 a year.
>>>
>>> A 12-month Gift subscription to Audible costs £69.99.
>>>
>>> On the face of it, I'm much better off giving my daughter £70 and saying
>>> "gift me a sub to Audible, please" rather than simply signing up for a
>>> sub myself. Or am I missing something?
>>
>> I am neither an Audible subscriber nor an Amazon Prime subscriber so I
>> really can't tell you anything about the benefits of either but I
>> presume the catch is that after a year they've a)got you hooked and
>> b)will only let you renew at the proper price.
>>
>> Have you tried YouTube? There are masses of full-length free
>> audiobooks there - some are of dubious and amateurish quality and some
>> are superb. Try using 'audiobook' as a starting search term then
>> expand it in any directions that interest you. You can listen directly
>> from YouTube but I find it more convenient to use a YouTube downloader
>> tool and save .mp3 files to wherever I want to listen from.
>>
>> Nick
>>

> The advantage - AIUI anyway - is that Audible picks up where you left
> off. Or do other systems (YouTube etc) now do the same thing?
>
> Now that I have an Alexa, I find I can listen to Kindle books. The voice is
> not too robotic, but of course there's no variety in the expression -
> still, it's a huge improvement on VoiceOver.

Sorry about the duplicate reply! Thought the first one hadn't gone through.

--
Linda ff

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<hv03qhdo0u0i4ru50i1rc0u6mjlj6ctsca@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13250&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13250

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 09:52:02 +0000
 by: Penny - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 09:52 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 06:29:55 -0000 (UTC), Linda Fox <linda.ff@ntlworld.com>
a gribouillé dans la poussière...

>The advantage - AIUI anyway - is that Audible picks up where you left
>off. Or do other systems (YouTube etc) now do the same thing?

Yes.
I've been watching the first two years of Neighbours on YouTube uploaded by
a chap called Ben who sometimes sent individual episodes, then gathered
several together. At times it has been tricky to find the next one but,
even after he took them all down with the news of Freevee showing the lot,
then backtracked and put them up again when some folk complained, I managed
to pick up, mid upload, from where I left off, or a few seconds before.

The apps the public libraries use do it too, of course. Even when I have
allowed a loan to lapse, it takes me straight back to the point I left off
when I download it again.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<ai23qh150q85b02g2q1kmkrsvlflm7elf7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13252&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13252

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:12:02 +0000
 by: Vicky - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:12 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 09:52:02 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 06:29:55 -0000 (UTC), Linda Fox <linda.ff@ntlworld.com>
>a gribouillé dans la poussière...
>
>>The advantage - AIUI anyway - is that Audible picks up where you left
>>off. Or do other systems (YouTube etc) now do the same thing?
>
>Yes.
>I've been watching the first two years of Neighbours on YouTube uploaded by
>a chap called Ben who sometimes sent individual episodes, then gathered
>several together. At times it has been tricky to find the next one but,
>even after he took them all down with the news of Freevee showing the lot,
>then backtracked and put them up again when some folk complained, I managed
>to pick up, mid upload, from where I left off, or a few seconds before.
>
>The apps the public libraries use do it too, of course. Even when I have
>allowed a loan to lapse, it takes me straight back to the point I left off
>when I download it again.

I used to watch Neighbours with the daughters when they were about 10
and 12 :)

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<k0di44FavpiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13253&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13253

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:46:28 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:46 UTC

On 19/12/2022 23:26, Penny wrote:
> Audio books from the library are free to download (and if you have a close
> friend who lives in a different county, you may find a different range of
> titles there).

In the past I have used such services from 2 different libraries (one
Welsh, one English) and the 2 big snags with both were that either they
did not have the titles I wanted to read or they would have some of a
series I wanted to read, but not the first book:-(

Audible just offered me 3 months at a reduced rate which I offer I
thought I might take up, but then discovered the offer closed on 18 Dec.
The debit card I had registered with Amazon had had to be blocked
(because of "suspicious activity") and my new one didn't arrive until
yesterday.

Thank you all for your responses ... but none of them actually tell me
if/why saving £25 by going for a Fift Sub is as advantageous as it sounds!
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<tns4mn$l9ad$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13254&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13254

From: nos...@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:01:42 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:01 UTC

On 20/12/2022 10:46, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> Thank you all for your responses ... but none of them actually tell me
> if/why saving £25 by going for a Fift Sub is as advantageous as it sounds!

I thought that was, near enough, just what I had answered!

If you pay £69.99 upfront (either directly or via your daughter) you
will get 12 credits. If it's done as a nominal gift, these will arrive
one per month, while if you do it directly, you'll get them all to spend
as and when you choose, throughout the year (and, if you run out before
the end of the year, they'll send you further, heavily discounted,
credits).

Alternatively, you can spend £7.99 per month, for one credit each month.
If you keep the contract going all year, this will work out more
expensive so, if you're confident you will want to use all 12 credits,
you're better off paying up front. With the monthly contract though,
there's no commitment to keep going and you can cancel whenever you want.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<tns5f6$ls20$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13256&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13256

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:14:46 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:14 UTC

On 20/12/2022 10:12, Vicky wrote:

> I used to watch Neighbours with the daughters when they were about 10
> and 12 :)

I used to watch Neighbours until they served the restraining order.

john

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<k0dk9mFavpiU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13257&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13257

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:23:34 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:23 UTC

On 20/12/2022 11:01, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
> On 20/12/2022 10:46, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> Thank you all for your responses ... but none of them actually tell me
>> if/why saving £25 by going for a Fift Sub is as advantageous as it
>> sounds!
>
> I thought that was, near enough, just what I had answered!

Many apologies, Serena, I misunderstood. I didn't realise that one
could buy a year's sub for oneself. Now I understand the discrepancy in
cost.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<tns6ji$l9ad$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13258&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13258

From: nos...@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:34:10 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:34 UTC

On 20/12/2022 11:23, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 20/12/2022 11:01, Serena Blanchflower wrote:
>> On 20/12/2022 10:46, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>> Thank you all for your responses ... but none of them actually tell
>>> me if/why saving £25 by going for a Fift Sub is as advantageous as it
>>> sounds!
>>
>> I thought that was, near enough, just what I had answered!
>

> Many apologies, Serena, I misunderstood.  I didn't realise that one
> could buy a year's sub for oneself.  Now I understand the discrepancy in
> cost.

That's great. I've had an annual sub, for 24 books per year, for a good
few years and it works well.

--
Best wishes, Serena
If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<tns6s1$l9ad$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13259&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13259

From: nos...@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:38:41 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:38 UTC

On 20/12/2022 10:46, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> In the past I have used such services from 2 different libraries (one
> Welsh, one English) and the 2 big snags with both were that either they
> did not have the titles I wanted to read  or they would have some of a
> series I wanted to read, but not the first book:-(

I get quite a lot of books from the library, although I get mine in
physical form, rather than downloads, and find that really frustrating
as well. Unfortunately, all too many series have only had the later
books recorded, so even Audible can't help with those. I think
sometimes it's because the series was started before audio books became
mainstream and no one has bothered to go back and record the back
catalogue. For other series, especially those by new authors, I think
its that the publishers only become willing to invest in the costs of
recording the books once the series is established and has proved popular :(

--
Best wishes, Serena
What do you say to comfort a friend who’s struggling with grammar?

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<51i3qhda4b6b7u84858bdfemvb0n0it2ns@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13261&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13261

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 14:47:19 +0000
 by: Penny - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 14:47 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:46:28 +0000, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk>
a gribouillé dans la poussière...

>On 19/12/2022 23:26, Penny wrote:
>> Audio books from the library are free to download (and if you have a close
>> friend who lives in a different county, you may find a different range of
>> titles there).
>
>In the past I have used such services from 2 different libraries (one
>Welsh, one English) and the 2 big snags with both were that either they
>did not have the titles I wanted to read or they would have some of a
>series I wanted to read, but not the first book:-(

I suppose you can request it?

I have been a little annoyed by missing books in a series (presumably a
'buyer' librarian moved on) but can usually find and put a 'hold' on
earlier parts of a series to catch up if the back story sounds interesting
enough. Some (like Poirot and James Bond) are all stand-alone so it doesn't
matter much). I like having access to two counties, librarians have varying
taste and one library will have a whole sequence, while the other has none.

I read 'Queen's Gambit' before I knew it had become a TV series, it just
popped up in 'new acquisitions'.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<jpi3qhtcmme58qtipbrbs6c68b882hm8vu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13262&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13262

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 14:53:05 +0000
 by: Penny - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 14:53 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:38:41 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
<nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> a gribouillé dans la poussière...

>I get quite a lot of books from the library, although I get mine in
>physical form, rather than downloads, and find that really frustrating
>as well.

It might be a better service as downloads, with all available in the county
without being moved around.

>Unfortunately, all too many series have only had the later
>books recorded, so even Audible can't help with those. I think
>sometimes it's because the series was started before audio books became
>mainstream and no one has bothered to go back and record the back
>catalogue. For other series, especially those by new authors, I think
>its that the publishers only become willing to invest in the costs of
>recording the books once the series is established and has proved popular :(

Kent libraries have some BBC radio drama and comedies available - I
listened to an ISIHAC Christmas compilation the other day. Both Kent and
Powys have some very old stuff, rerecorded from CDs <end of disc 3>.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<tntavp$l9ad$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13265&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13265

From: nos...@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 21:55:04 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 21:55 UTC

On 20/12/2022 14:53, Penny wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:38:41 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
> <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> a gribouillé dans la poussière...
>
>> I get quite a lot of books from the library, although I get mine in
>> physical form, rather than downloads, and find that really frustrating
>> as well.
>
> It might be a better service as downloads, with all available in the county
> without being moved around.

I like to support my local library and for it to be seen to be being
used. To get physical audio books (delivered by a volunteer) counts as
the library being used, while downloading books from the server doesn't.
It's only a small library but it's a valuable resource for the village.

--
Best wishes, Serena
Food is an important part of a balanced diet. (Fran Lebowitz)

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<jf36qh1t97k334btfvkc7gnkvvms1g13u4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13272&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13272

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 13:46:41 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 13:46 UTC

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:14:46 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 20/12/2022 10:12, Vicky wrote:
>

>> I used to watch Neighbours with the daughters when they were about 10
>> and 12 :)
>>

>I used to watch Neighbours until they served the restraining order.

BTN![1]

Nick
[1]Yes, I know...
Ts&Cs apply, please read the small print etc etc.

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<tnv82s$1279g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13275&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13275

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:17:48 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:17 UTC

On 21/12/2022 13:46, Nick Odell wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:14:46 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 20/12/2022 10:12, Vicky wrote:
>>

>>> I used to watch Neighbours with the daughters when they were about 10
>>> and 12 :)
>>>

>> I used to watch Neighbours until they served the restraining order.
>>
> BTN![1]
>
> Nick
> [1]Yes, I know...
> Ts&Cs apply, please read the small print etc etc.

Even if they didn't it would be a no for being too blatant.

john

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<to0s7l$1flu$4@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13282&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13282

From: linda...@ntlworld.com (Linda Fox)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 06:07:49 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Linda Fox - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 06:07 UTC

Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 20/12/2022 11:23, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>>>
>>> I thought that was, near enough, just what I had answered!
>>

>> Many apologies, Serena, I misunderstood.  I didn't realise that one
>> could buy a year's sub for oneself.  Now I understand the discrepancy in
>> cost.
>>

> That's great. I've had an annual sub, for 24 books per year, for a good
> few years and it works well.

I generally take advantage of the 2-for-1 deals, unless there's (unusually
for me) a specific book I'm after.

--
Linda ff

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<djc8qh5jjlqlm3eb3u08b9bg61tmmjem30@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13288&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13288

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 10:35:32 +0000
 by: Penny - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 10:35 UTC

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:17:48 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> a
gribouillé dans la poussière...

>On 21/12/2022 13:46, Nick Odell wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 11:14:46 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I used to watch Neighbours until they served the restraining order.
>>>
>> BTN![1]
>>
>> Nick
>> [1]Yes, I know...
>> Ts&Cs apply, please read the small print etc etc.
>
>Even if they didn't it would be a no for being too blatant.

I didn't know that was a condition, or I'd never have posted my extremely
bad-taste (but ignored) comment on Jack Archer's birthday.

--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<to1kdd$1cfgk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13290&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13290

From: johnashb...@yahoo.com (John Ashby)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 13:00:29 +0000
 by: John Ashby - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 13:00 UTC

On 22/12/2022 10:35, Penny wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:17:48 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> a
> gribouillé dans la poussière...
>
>> On 21/12/2022 13:46, Nick Odell wrote:

>>> BTN![1]
>>>
>>> Nick
>>> [1]Yes, I know...
>>> Ts&Cs apply, please read the small print etc etc.
>>
>> Even if they didn't it would be a no for being too blatant.
>
> I didn't know that was a condition, or I'd never have posted my extremely
> bad-taste (but ignored) comment on Jack Archer's birthday.

It's only a condition when I do it, otherwise it's a syndrome.

john

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<to2gnf$m2j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13293&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13293

From: joe_k...@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 21:03:42 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 21:03 UTC

On 22/12/2022 13:00, John Ashby wrote:
> On 22/12/2022 10:35, Penny wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:17:48 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> a
>> gribouillé dans la poussière...

>>> Even if they didn't it would be a no for being too blatant.
>>
>> I didn't know that was a condition, or I'd never have posted my extremely
>> bad-taste (but ignored) comment on Jack Archer's birthday.
>>

> It's only a condition when I do it, otherwise it's a syndrome.
>
> john

Ah! A syndrome. My favourite kind of leisure centre. So much more fun
than a velodrome or hippodrome.

(OK, that works better as an oral gag. Brritters! Stop spluttering.)

--
Ric

Re: OT: Audible - what's the catch?

<to3o9d$1lo7p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13296&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13296

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 08:18:53 -0000 (UTC)
<to2gnf$m2j$1@gioia.aioe.org>
sha1:NXWxCwFSsciilgvh9nFGlNxSdiY=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 08:18 UTC

Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com> wrote:
> On 22/12/2022 13:00, John Ashby wrote:
>> On 22/12/2022 10:35, Penny wrote:
>>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 15:17:48 +0000, John Ashby <johnashby20@yahoo.com> a
>>> gribouillé dans la poussière...

>>> I didn't know that was a condition, or I'd never have posted my extremely
>>> bad-taste (but ignored) comment on Jack Archer's birthday.
>>>

>> It's only a condition when I do it, otherwise it's a syndrome.
>>
>> john
>
> Ah! A syndrome. My favourite kind of leisure centre. So much more fun
> than a velodrome or hippodrome.
>
> (OK, that works better as an oral gag. Brritters! Stop spluttering.)

Re: ISIHAC style: A Palindrome: Where you go with your mates.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan