From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Two sentenced in drug-related murder
Date: 27 Aug 2022 11:30:04 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 27 Aug 2022 11:30 UTC

Two men who deliberately mowed down a cyclist with a car as part of a feud
have both been jailed for 21 years.

Father-of-four Carl Eland, 37, was killed in Middlesbrough in August 2021,
Teesside Crown Court had heard.

Brandon Ali and Joey Matthews had both denied murder and attempting to
cause grievous bodily harm with intent, but were found guilty of both
charges.

The two 21-year-olds, who had a "drug dispute" with Mr Eland, were
sentenced to life with minimum terms.

In a statement read to the court, Mr Eland's girlfriend, who was also on
the bike, said he saved her life by pushing her away when the car hit them
which was an example of how he was "protective" of her.

She said she suffered only minor injuries but the loss of Mr Eland was
devastating, adding it was the "worst day of my life".

She said the couple had been looking forward to a Christening the following
day but in a second her "life was turned upside down".

In a statement, Mr Eland's mother Leona said her son was her best friend,
adding: "He was kind, loving funny and very generous to be around."

She said he was proud of his children, who will now have to grow up without
a father, and was passionate about dogs and other animals. 'Opportunistic'

Mrs Eland said her son had saved his girlfriend's life and his organs were
donated to three people.

Prosecutor Andrea Parnham said the two killers, who were aged 20 at the
time, had a "history of violence towards" Mr Eland and had an "on-going
feud with him".

She said the duo, who had bought the Vauxhall Insignia the day before,
drove past Mr Eland several times before "lying in wait" for him and then
drove deliberately at him by mounting the pavement.

Lawyers for the men said it was an "opportunistic" attack with "no
significant planning", and they had not been "hunting" for Mr Eland.

In mitigation for Matthews, John Elvidge QC said his client was "not
somebody blessed with the maturity of even the average person" his age.

Representing Ali, Francis Fitzgibbon QC said his client was also immature
and had not considered the consequences of his actions.

The Recorder of Middlesbrough, Judge Paul Watson QC, said: "This was a
horrific, premeditated and cowardly crime which resulted in the terrible
loss of life of a still-young man, a son, partner and father with his life
ahead of him."

He said the futures of Mr Eland and his family had been "ripped" from them
by a "senseless bloody deed".

He said it was "clear there was hostility" between the killers and Mr
Eland, which "may well be related to a territorial drug dispute".

The judge said the men drove at high speed into the back of Mr Eland's bike
before racing away to leave their victim "dying in the road".

He said no one who saw CCTV footage of the attack would forget "those
dreadful images", adding: "The sense of shock when they were played to the
jury was audible."

The judge said it was not possible to say who was the driver but both Ali,
of Dalwood Court, Hemlington, and Matthews, of Newcomen Green,
Middlesbrough, were convicted as it had been a "joint plan".

The car was found burnt out several days later, the judge added, and the
killers tried to get a "vulnerable drug addict" to "take the blame for what
happened".

The two men were also each jailed for eight years to be served concurrently
for the grievous bodily harm charge relating to Mr Eland's partner.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-62688973

--
Spike

Re: Two sentenced in drug-related murder

<jn3i5oFtdb2U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13252&group=uk.rec.cycling#13252

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Two sentenced in drug-related murder
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 11:19:36 +0100
 by: JNugent - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 10:19 UTC

On 27/08/2022 12:30 pm, Spike wrote:
> [...]
>
> The judge said the men drove at high speed into the back of Mr Eland's bike
> before racing away to leave their victim "dying in the road".
>
> He said no one who saw CCTV footage of the attack would forget "those
> dreadful images", adding: "The sense of shock when they were played to the
> jury was audible."
>
> The judge said it was not possible to say who was the driver but both Ali,
> of Dalwood Court, Hemlington, and Matthews, of Newcomen Green,
> Middlesbrough, were convicted as it had been a "joint plan".
>
> The car was found burnt out several days later, the judge added, and the
> killers tried to get a "vulnerable drug addict" to "take the blame for what
> happened".
>
> The two men were also each jailed for eight years to be served concurrently
> for the grievous bodily harm charge relating to Mr Eland's partner.

QUOTE:
.... the duo ... drove past Mr Eland... then
drove deliberately at him by mounting the pavement.
ENDQUOTE

Why did they [have to] do that?

Was he cycling along the footway?

Re: Two sentenced in drug-related murder

<jn3l0kFtv0qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13256&group=uk.rec.cycling#13256

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 29 Aug 2022 11:08:04 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 11:08 UTC

JNugent <jennings&co@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> [...]
>> dreadful images", adding: "The sense of shock when they were played to the
>> jury was audible."
>>
>> The judge said it was not possible to say who was the driver but both Ali,
>> of Dalwood Court, Hemlington, and Matthews, of Newcomen Green,
>> Middlesbrough, were convicted as it had been a "joint plan".
>>
>> The car was found burnt out several days later, the judge added, and the
>> killers tried to get a "vulnerable drug addict" to "take the blame for what
>> happened".
>>
>> The two men were also each jailed for eight years to be served concurrently
>> for the grievous bodily harm charge relating to Mr Eland's partner.
>>
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-62688973

> QUOTE:
> ... the duo ... drove past Mr Eland... then
> drove deliberately at him by mounting the pavement.

Nice spot. He was clearly putting pedestrians at risk especially with his
girlfriend on the bicycle as well, the whole being harder to manoeuvre
quickly.

--
Spike

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Two sentenced in drug-related murder