Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. -- Euripides

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Watch as driver hits cyclist when he ‘narrowly’ overtakes him – everyone’s saying the same thing

SubjectAuthor
* Watch as driver hits cyclist when he ‘narrowly’swldx...@gmail.com
+- Re: Watch as driver hits cyclistSpike
`- Re: Watch as driver hits cyclist when he ‘narrowlyswldx...@gmail.com

1
Watch as driver hits cyclist when he ‘narrowly’ overtakes him – everyone’s saying the same thing

<dca3e597-5587-41ca-9d25-b9c20a263b39n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13263&group=uk.rec.cycling#13263

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 05:25:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Watch_as_driver_hits_cyclist_when_he_‘narrowly’_
overtakes_him_–_everyone’s_saying_the_same_thing
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 12:25 UTC

THIS is the shocking moment a driver hits a cyclist when he “narrowly” overtakes him – and everyone’s got the same reaction.

A cyclist only known as Garry was peddling (sic) along a road in Sussex in June when he was stuck by an overtaking vehicle.
The driver hit the cyclist while overtaking on a road in Sussex

Garry considered the incident “potentially so serious” that for the first time he reported it to the cops.

He told Road.cc: "Back in June a motorist collided with me in Sussex. I was sideswiped but managed to stay on, the motorist stopped to apologise but I felt the incident was potentially so serious that for the first time ever I reported it.

"The section of road has a 50mph speed limit and the car was travelling at around that speed so being hit by a wing (sic) mirror and feeling the sides of the car move along your arm and leg was a little unsettling."

After he reported the incident, Sussex Police got in touch with him to say: "The driver of the vehicle that hit you has surrendered his licence to DVLA and will no longer be driving."

"As such it is not in the public interest to prosecute him as he will not receive any points on his licence.

"Likewise a driving course is now not an option as he will no longer be driving. Therefore I will be issuing him a written warning which puts him at fault for the collision."

Garry was happy with the outcome, telling the website it "reflects well on both the driver and the police".

He said: "A driver (not particularly elderly which might normally explain such an action) has acknowledged they are not able to drive to a safe standard and have removed themselves from the road
“This is more than I could have hoped for as it achieves more than a few points or a course.”

Many commentators took to Twitter to pick up on just how close the driver was.

One wrote: "This is an extremely hostile motorist and they deserve to lose driving privileges."

Another said: "I have seen cyclists complain and make issues of close passes that weren't really issues, but that is by far the worst pass I have ever seen.

"They shouldn't be on the road passing people like this. Totally shocking."

A third person added: "That is not a near miss! It is an out and out strike and the cyclist was lucky to escape serious injury."
While a fourth commentator said: “Lucky that it didn’t turn out way worse.

"Well done on the driver for taking this action following it though.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/19641964/driver-hits-cyclist-overtaking-sussex-road/

Re: Watch as driver hits cyclist when he ‘narrowly’ overtakes him – everyone’s saying the same thing

<jn3r79FemkU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13269&group=uk.rec.cycling#13269

From: Aero.Sp...@mail.invalid (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Watch as driver hits cyclist
when he ‘narrowly’ overtakes
him – everyone’s saying the
same thing
Date: 29 Aug 2022 12:54:01 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 12:54 UTC

> https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/19641964/driver-hits-cyclist-overtaking-sussex-road/

Already reported as Not Near Miss 816 on road.cc

--
Spike

Re: Watch as driver hits cyclist when he ‘narrowly’ overtakes him – everyone’s saying the same thing

<255c3c32-838a-4ff0-b84b-7dbdb95d429an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13273&group=uk.rec.cycling#13273

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2022 05:59:05 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Watch_as_driver_hits_cyclist_when_he_‘narrowly
’_overtakes_him_–_everyone’s_saying_the_same_thing
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Mon, 29 Aug 2022 12:59 UTC

QUOTE: One wrote: "This is an extremely hostile motorist and they deserve to lose driving privileges. ENDS

That is from a Sun reading boy racer!