The world is no nursery. -- Sigmund Freud

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

SubjectAuthor
* Tyres fraying at edges.Clocky
`* Tyres fraying at edges.Xeno

Pages:12
Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<j9llogFd4eqU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13064&group=aus.cars#13064

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Tyres fraying at edges.
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 20:24:13 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 09:24 UTC

On 19/03/2022 5:15 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>   After 11yrs?, Not a chance in hell....
>
> Yep. This moron is absolutely clueless :)

> Felix having no idea about this stuff I can get, but Clasener is
> supposed to be the eminently qualified expert who passed on vital
> knowledge to the up and comings who were working in the trade, and
> here he is making a complete idiot out of himself yet again with
> *more* of his ridiculous ignorance.
>
> It defies belief that someone who constantly displays how utterly
> clueless they are as he does could have ever taught anyone how to be
> anything other than an abject failure. I'll bet his students
> absolutely *hated* him and thought he was a complete flog :)

Flat spots can be caused by locking up your brakes or by your car or
truck being parked for a long period of time in one place. There are two
ways to correct flat spots on your tires, depending on the cause.

Step 1
Fill each tire to the maximum level as noted on the sidewall of the
tire, using the air compressor. Check to make sure the pressure is
correct using the tire gauge.

Step 2
Drive the vehicle for at least 150 miles. If the flat spots were due to
the vehicle being parked for a long time, this should solve the problem.

Step 3
Release air from the tires to bring the tire pressure back within the
normal range, as noted in the vehicle's owner's manual and on the
driver's door information plaque. Do this by inserting a valve core tool
into the tire stem.

Take the vehicle to a tire shop. Most dedicated tire shops have tire
shaving machines that will shave the tire's tread until the flat spot is
gone. This is the only solution for a flat spot caused by a long skid.

https://itstillruns.com/fix-flat-spots-tires-7779179.html

I'm sure there would be plenty of other links saying the same thing.

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

"His opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster
"He came, he saw, he got pummelled" - Alvey on Keefy
"What a pair! Not a single word of rebuttal or reason,
just cretinous abuse" - Alvey on jonz and noddy
"His self serving ego pumping comments just read
like witless wankery"- Clocky on Keefy
"your opinion isn't worth 2 knobs of goat shit"- Xeno on Grubby Tech
"You cannot turn Darren's lies into the truth by attempting to *discredit*
what *I* say. You just make yourself look more of a dick"- Xeno to Grubby Tech

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<j9lma2Fd7b4U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13065&group=aus.cars#13065

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 19:32:47 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 09:32 UTC

On 19/03/2022 2:56 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 12:09 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> On 18/03/2022 5:30 pm, Xeno wrote:
>
>>> In fact, if the garage was dark, cool and dry, the tyres would
>>> actually *improve* somewhat due to natural curing of the tyre compound.
>>>
>> A friend who owned a grader always bought new tyres a year before he
>> needed them. They sat in the roof of his garage hardening until he
>> needed them. He reckoned that doing that doubled their life. Of course
>> what is good for heavy machinery tyres may not be best for car tyres.
>
> A lot of people used to do that years ago, including car owners.
>
> Some people would throw brand new tyres on the roof of their garage or
> house and leave them sit exposed to the sun for some time before using
> them, with their logic being that exposing them to massive amounts of UV
> hardened the rubber and increased their wear resistance. However they
> were also completely oblivious to the fact that it totally killed the
> tyre's elasticity and reduced the grip to near zero.

Yearh well Bill put his tyres on not on the roof, god knows how he got
them up there, they weighed a ton. Like I said, what is good for
earthmover tyres may not be good for car ones, the use is completely
different.

Conversely in Perth in the late 60s there was a company that would
re-tread your tyres while you were at work. Drop the car off at 8am,
pick it up at 4pm, of course the treads were so soft that they almost
left a trail of rubber down the road.

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<j9lmdiFd7b4U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13066&group=aus.cars#13066

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 19:34:43 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 09:34 UTC

On 19/03/2022 11:56 am, Xeno wrote:
> On 19/3/2022 12:04 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> Anyone with a clue, raises the vehicle off the ground when storing
>>> for any length of time.
>>
>> Exactly.
>>
>> If you bought a new car and parked it in a garage for 11 years the
>> tyres would develop an unrecoverable flat spot that would render them
>> completely unserviceable. The *only* way to store a car that's not
>> being driven for that length of time is to do so with either the
>> wheels off and in a storage rack or the car elevated so there is no
>> weight on the rubber.
>
> When the car is run on the road, and the tyres warm up, any flat spots
> tend to *iron themselves out* after a few kilometres.
>>
>> I'm surprised the resident automotive guru doesn't know this, but then
>> there seems to be a hell of a lot that he doesn't know....
>
> What sort of person buys a new car, then stores it for the best part of
> its life?

Greg Norman who buys or at least used to buy new Ferraris and store them
as an investment.

> I'll give you a clue, the sort of person who doesn't care if
> the tyres develop a flat spot and can afford to put a complete new set
> on the car if and when required. Legally, the tyres are *out of date*
> and can no longer be sold by any business as *used tyres*.

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<j9lmfjFd7b4U3@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13067&group=aus.cars#13067

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 19:35:48 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 09:35 UTC

On 19/03/2022 12:04 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 19/3/2022 12:57 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:

>>> The correct term I am relating to is *curing* and it doesn't
>>> necessarily pertain to *hardening* though proper curing also extends
>>> tyre life. His garage would need some serious insulation as it can
>>> get quite hot in the roof area. You will note I said dark, *cool* and
>>> dry. You need *all three factors* to enhance the natural curing of
>>> tyres. His tyres likely hardened but weren't really curing properly
>>> in a heated environment.
>>>
>>>  > He reckoned that doing that doubled their life. Of course
>>>
>>> Proper natural curing is best for *all* tyres. When they are made,
>>> they are *cured* but, due to storage constraints, that is done
>>> artificially and the amount of curing compound used determines the
>>> ultimate life of the tyre. If the manufacturer was a bit sparse on
>>> the curing compound, natural curing will *complete* the curing process.
>>>

>> if we put noddy in a dark, cool, and dry environment for 12 months
>> would he be cured?  :)
>>

> What ails Darren, according to all the pundits, is an *incurable*
> condition.

All the pundits? You, clocky, felix and alvey? ROTFL

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<j9lmgnFd7b4U4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13068&group=aus.cars#13068

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 19:36:23 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 09:36 UTC

On 19/03/2022 12:09 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 1:04 pm, Xeno wrote:

>>> if we put noddy in a dark, cool, and dry environment for 12 months
>>> would he be cured?  :)
>>>

>> What ails Darren, according to all the pundits, is an *incurable*
>> condition.
>>

> we can't cure Keith tho, he's only good for pulverising for stock feed  :)

Did someone speak or was it just a fart?

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<j9lmjjFd7b4U5@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13069&group=aus.cars#13069

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 19:37:55 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 09:37 UTC

On 19/03/2022 12:00 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 12:56 pm, Xeno wrote:

>>> Exactly.
>>>
>>> If you bought a new car and parked it in a garage for 11 years the
>>> tyres would develop an unrecoverable flat spot that would render them
>>> completely unserviceable. The *only* way to store a car that's not
>>> being driven for that length of time is to do so with either the
>>> wheels off and in a storage rack or the car elevated so there is no
>>> weight on the rubber.
>>
>> When the car is run on the road, and the tyres warm up, any flat spots
>> tend to *iron themselves out* after a few kilometres.
>

> yeah that's what I thought. only solid rubber tyres can develop
> permanent flat spots, I think.

What's right is right but you ain't been right yet.

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<j9lntsFdfkcU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13070&group=aus.cars#13070

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 21:00:25 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 10:00 UTC

On 19/3/2022 8:34 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 11:56 am, Xeno wrote:

>>> Exactly.
>>>
>>> If you bought a new car and parked it in a garage for 11 years the
>>> tyres would develop an unrecoverable flat spot that would render them
>>> completely unserviceable. The *only* way to store a car that's not
>>> being driven for that length of time is to do so with either the
>>> wheels off and in a storage rack or the car elevated so there is no
>>> weight on the rubber.
>>
>> When the car is run on the road, and the tyres warm up, any flat spots
>> tend to *iron themselves out* after a few kilometres.
>>>
>>> I'm surprised the resident automotive guru doesn't know this, but
>>> then there seems to be a hell of a lot that he doesn't know....
>>
>> What sort of person buys a new car, then stores it for the best part
>> of its life?
>
> Greg Norman who buys or at least used to buy new Ferraris and store them
> as an investment.
>
>> I'll give you a clue, the sort of person who doesn't care if the tyres
>> develop a flat spot and can afford to put a complete new set on the
>> car if and when required. Legally, the tyres are *out of date* and can
>> no longer be sold by any business as *used tyres*.

So Greg Norman fits the type of person I pointed out then...

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<d8fc441a-433d-4fbc-a22b-45f130edcd03n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13071&group=aus.cars#13071

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 03:03:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnhhhi...@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 10:03 UTC

On Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 12:56:11 UTC+11, Xeno wrote:
> On 19/3/2022 12:04 pm, Noddy wrote:

> >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >> Anyone with a clue, raises the vehicle off the ground when storing for
> >> any length of time.
> >
> > Exactly.
> >
> > If you bought a new car and parked it in a garage for 11 years the tyres
> > would develop an unrecoverable flat spot that would render them
> > completely unserviceable. The *only* way to store a car that's not being
> > driven for that length of time is to do so with either the wheels off
> > and in a storage rack or the car elevated so there is no weight on the
> > rubber.
> When the car is run on the road, and the tyres warm up, any flat spots
> tend to *iron themselves out* after a few kilometres.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~``
11yrs? Just yer usual bullshit, you *ignorance* is showing *again*.

You reckon your er, *stored classics* are *not* going to need new rubber. <FBG>

> > I'm surprised the resident automotive guru doesn't know this, but then
> > there seems to be a hell of a lot that he doesn't know....

> What sort of person buys a new car, then stores it for the best part of
> its life? I'll give you a clue, the sort of person who doesn't care if
> the tyres develop a flat spot and can afford to put a complete new set
> on the car if and when required. Legally, the tyres are *out of date*
> and can no longer be sold by any business as *used tyres*.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Its just a jump to the left (G)....What happened to:

*When the car is run on the road, and the tyres warm up, any flat spots
tend to *iron themselves out* after a few kilometres.*

*Tend To*....HEH.

> --
> Xeno
>

> Nothing astonishes Noddy so much as common sense and plain dealing.
> (with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<t14ct4$558$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13072&group=aus.cars#13072

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 21:56:36 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 10:56 UTC

On 19/03/2022 8:32 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 2:56 pm, Noddy wrote:

> Conversely in Perth in the late 60s there was a company that would
> re-tread your tyres while you were at work. Drop the car off at 8am,
> pick it up at 4pm, of course the treads were so soft that they almost
> left a trail of rubber down the road.

Bearing in mind that none of this is relevant to tyres in use today....

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<c4bb611f-cd72-4755-948a-aaf7abaa231cn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13073&group=aus.cars#13073

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 03:57:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnhhhi...@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 10:57 UTC

On Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 20:23:31 UTC+11, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 5:15 pm, Noddy wrote:

> >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >> After 11yrs?, Not a chance in hell....
> >
> > Yep. This moron is absolutely clueless :)

> > Felix having no idea about this stuff I can get, but Clasener is
> > supposed to be the eminently qualified expert who passed on vital
> > knowledge to the up and comings who were working in the trade, and
> > here he is making a complete idiot out of himself yet again with
> > *more* of his ridiculous ignorance.
> >
> > It defies belief that someone who constantly displays how utterly
> > clueless they are as he does could have ever taught anyone how to be
> > anything other than an abject failure. I'll bet his students
> > absolutely *hated* him and thought he was a complete flog :)
> >

> Flat spots can be caused by locking up your brakes or by your car or
> truck being parked for a long period of time in one place. There are two
> ways to correct flat spots on your tires, depending on the cause.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
UH HUH.

> Step 1
> Fill each tire to the maximum level as noted on the sidewall of the
> tire, using the air compressor. Check to make sure the pressure is
> correct using the tire gauge.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don`t forget that. (You can read a tyre gauge right?)

> Step 2
> Drive the vehicle for at least 150 miles. If the flat spots were due to
> the vehicle being parked for a long time, this should solve the problem.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You the guru of everything, Had to google, and you *actually* posted that pile of garbage??.

So heres the bloke with a flat spotted tyre(s) you think he`s gunna subject his (could easily be) $250,000 rig to *that*(Lockup induced) shit. <FBG>.Even an old banger thats dozed for the said eleven years, is *Never* going to get shot of the flat spots. (Nor would they try.) The bloke with 11yr old flat spots on his car has opted for new tyres regardless of this plonkers er, *remedy* NO cigar krippy. :)))

> Step 3
> Release air from the tires to bring the tire pressure back within the
> normal range, as noted in the vehicle's owner's manual and on the
> driver's door information plaque. Do this by inserting a valve core tool
> into the tire stem.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Obviously directed at knowledgeable PPL....(NOT!)

> Take the vehicle to a tire shop. Most dedicated tire shops have tire
> shaving machines that will shave the tire's tread until the flat spot is
> gone. This is the only solution for a flat spot caused by a long skid.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HAHA, no shit??.

> https://itstillruns.com/fix-flat-spots-tires-7779179.html
>
> I'm sure there would be plenty of other links saying the same thing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Go find a few more just for shits and giggles.
> --
> https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam
>
> FUCK PUTIN!!
>
> "His opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
> the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster
> "He came, he saw, he got pummelled" - Alvey on Keefy
> "What a pair! Not a single word of rebuttal or reason,
> just cretinous abuse" - Alvey on jonz and noddy
> "His self serving ego pumping comments just read
> like witless wankery"- Clocky on Keefy
> "your opinion isn't worth 2 knobs of goat shit"- Xeno on Grubby Tech
> "You cannot turn Darren's lies into the truth by attempting to *discredit*
> what *I* say. You just make yourself look more of a dick"- Xeno to Grubby Tech

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<40748ebd-3a96-4f6e-8342-0e6874eb9069n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13074&group=aus.cars#13074

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 04:05:50 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnhhhi...@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 11:05 UTC

On Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 21:56:38 UTC+11, Noddy wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 8:32 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> > On 19/03/2022 2:56 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
> > Conversely in Perth in the late 60s there was a company that would
> > re-tread your tyres while you were at work. Drop the car off at 8am,
> > pick it up at 4pm, of course the treads were so soft that they almost
> > left a trail of rubber down the road.
> Bearing in mind that none of this is relevant to tyres in use today....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Some trucks still run caps, but not many. (You dont see many big black snakes on the road anymore. And they`re cured for a bit more than a couple of hours) Good thing.
> --
> --
> --
> Regards,
> Noddy.

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<t14drp$qcd$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13075&group=aus.cars#13075

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 22:12:54 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 11:12 UTC

On 19/03/2022 10:05 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 21:56:38 UTC+11, Noddy wrote:
>> On 19/03/2022 8:32 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>>> On 19/03/2022 2:56 pm, Noddy wrote:
>>
>>> Conversely in Perth in the late 60s there was a company that would
>>> re-tread your tyres while you were at work. Drop the car off at 8am,
>>> pick it up at 4pm, of course the treads were so soft that they almost
>>> left a trail of rubber down the road.
>> Bearing in mind that none of this is relevant to tyres in use today....
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Some trucks still run caps, but not many. (You dont see many big black snakes on the road anymore. And they`re cured for a bit more than a couple of hours) Good thing.

I was talking more about the idea of "hardening" the rubber, or "recaps
that come to you" as opposed to using recaps per se'.

You can still buy tyre regrooving guns. Why the fuck you'd *want* to is
a mystery.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<t14e14$qcd$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13076&group=aus.cars#13076

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 22:15:48 +1100
<t10mfl$qd3$2@dont-email.me> <j9i5iuFn3ccU2@mid.individual.net>
<t112b9$1ln$1@dont-email.me> <j9il9eFpqciU1@mid.individual.net>
<j9inseFq4f4U4@mid.individual.net> <t1262p$e4o$1@dont-email.me>
<158fc079-b583-42dc-afc3-ccfc35dde203n@googlegroups.com>
<t13a66$v46$1@dont-email.me> <j9krhpF8e0sU1@mid.individual.net>
<j9krnhF8e1jU2@mid.individual.net> <j9krvsF8e1jU3@mid.individual.net>
<c9aa0d32-0770-4518-abb0-f0d7c2b323abn@googlegroups.com>
<t13sea$rt2$1@dont-email.me> <j9llogFd4eqU1@mid.individual.net>
<c4bb611f-cd72-4755-948a-aaf7abaa231cn@googlegroups.com>
 by: Noddy - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 11:15 UTC

On 19/03/2022 9:57 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 20:23:31 UTC+11, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>
>> Take the vehicle to a tire shop. Most dedicated tire shops have tire
>> shaving machines that will shave the tire's tread until the flat spot is
>> gone. This is the only solution for a flat spot caused by a long skid.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> HAHA, no shit??.
>

>> https://itstillruns.com/fix-flat-spots-tires-7779179.html
>>
>> I'm sure there would be plenty of other links saying the same thing.

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Go find a few more just for shits and giggles.

I wonder if Felix can find a video where a car has been stored on it's
wheels for 11 years and the owner fired it up and the tyres were fine
after a few drives around the block.

And I mean a *real* video. Not something out of a computer game :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<j9ltbmFei9uU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13077&group=aus.cars#13077

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 22:33:04 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 11:33 UTC

On 19/3/2022 8:24 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 5:15 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>   After 11yrs?, Not a chance in hell....
>>
>> Yep. This moron is absolutely clueless :)

>> Felix having no idea about this stuff I can get, but Clasener is
>> supposed to be the eminently qualified expert who passed on vital
>> knowledge to the up and comings who were working in the trade, and
>> here he is making a complete idiot out of himself yet again with
>> *more* of his ridiculous ignorance.
>>
>> It defies belief that someone who constantly displays how utterly
>> clueless they are as he does could have ever taught anyone how to be
>> anything other than an abject failure. I'll bet his students
>> absolutely *hated* him and thought he was a complete flog :)
>>

> Flat spots can be caused by locking up your brakes or by your car or
> truck being parked for a long period of time in one place. There are two
> ways to correct flat spots on your tires, depending on the cause.
>
> Step 1
> Fill each tire to the maximum level as noted on the sidewall of the
> tire, using the air compressor. Check to make sure the pressure is
> correct using the tire gauge.
>
> Step 2
> Drive the vehicle for at least 150 miles. If the flat spots were due to
> the vehicle being parked for a long time, this should solve the problem.
>
> Step 3
> Release air from the tires to bring the tire pressure back within the
> normal range, as noted in the vehicle's owner's manual and on the
> driver's door information plaque. Do this by inserting a valve core tool
> into the tire stem.
>
> Take the vehicle to a tire shop. Most dedicated tire shops have tire
> shaving machines that will shave the tire's tread until the flat spot is
> gone. This is the only solution for a flat spot caused by a long skid.
>
> https://itstillruns.com/fix-flat-spots-tires-7779179.html
>
> I'm sure there would be plenty of other links saying the same thing.

For what it's worth, you can get tyres that aren't round straight from
the tyre factory. Normally these aren't a problem on an average cars but
some, such as the Falcons of the 70s, had very sensitive steering and
suspensions. The slightest variation in concentricity would be felt by
the driver. The situation was so bad by the mid 70s that all Ford
dealers of any size had a set of special rims & tyres that were
perfectly round, perfectly in balance and perfectly symmetrical in every
way. When you had a customer who's car had a case of the *shakes*, the
first thing you would do is try these special wheels on the car and go
for a run. If the shakes were gone, the car needed either the tyres
shaved or new tyres. The rims would also be checked for runout and quite
a few of these were way off tolerance. The only other make/model car I
have known of with a bad case of the shakes was a late 70s Nissan King
Cab Ute. The rims were perfectly concentric, the tyres were fitted
concentric according to the marker but the tread had a heap of runout on
*every* tyre. The dealer wanted to shave the tread so they were
concentric but it would have required removal of a lot of the tread
depth. The owner *demanded* they fit a complete new set - and they did
but of a different brand/type, also at the owner's request. The owner,
BTW, was my boss (leading hand) just before I went into teaching.

FWIW, you can have a perfectly balanced tyre that is perfectly
concentric and fitted to perfect rims and *still* get the shakes in a
car with a sensitive suspension. If you've ever watched how they build a
tyre at the factory, the cause will become clear. Here's a video on how
they make a modern tyre.

https://youtu.be/cuMnOaah7Sk

Note the carcase layers as they are applied - the joints are diagonal
and there are a few of them so you don't end up with joints stacked on
top of each other - until you get to the last layer - the tread. The
joint in this one, and it is a thick layer, is cut straight across. When
I watched this process at the Dunlop factory in Montague Street, Sth
Melbourne, that last layer was very thick and applied by hand, fed
around the tyre by a worker. Fascinating to watch and, at the time I
thought that might create some out of roundness in the tyre but it seems
the issue was much more subtle than that. What would happen was that
during the vulcanisation (curing) process, the joint area might end up a
little less flexible leading to the semblance of a lump in the tyre.
That would cause a sensation when driving the car of what feels like a
lump in the tyre but you could, on checking, never find a lump.
Generally not a huge problem but a car with a sensitive suspension would
notice it or, should I say, make it apparent. The only cure - replace
the tyre. I suspect that was the issue with a lot of the tyres
manufactured in the 70s and fitted to Falcons and why the only way to
totally eliminate the issue was to fit the *set of test tyres* that each
dealer had.

BTW, if you ever get a chance to do a tour of a tyre factory, take it.
It's a fascinating process to watch. I must admit however, when I did
the tour in 1981 or 1982, the process involved much more manual labour.
I'd imagine these days that the process is pretty much fully automated.
The Holden engine factory was another good tour. If you ever wondered
what Dante's Inferno might be like, that foundry section of the engine
plant would be the perfect place to gain that insight.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<j9luk1Fep0cU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13078&group=aus.cars#13078

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 22:55:27 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 11:55 UTC

it was you. we had to open a window.

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

"His opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster
"He came, he saw, he got pummelled" - Alvey on Keefy
"What a pair! Not a single word of rebuttal or reason,
just cretinous abuse" - Alvey on jonz and noddy
"His self serving ego pumping comments just read
like witless wankery"- Clocky on Keefy
"your opinion isn't worth 2 knobs of goat shit"- Xeno on Grubby Tech
"You cannot turn Darren's lies into the truth by attempting to *discredit*
what *I* say. You just make yourself look more of a dick"- Xeno to Grubby Tech

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<j9lutfFep0cU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13079&group=aus.cars#13079

From: fel...@invalid.com (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 23:00:29 +1100
<t10mfl$qd3$2@dont-email.me> <j9i5iuFn3ccU2@mid.individual.net>
<t112b9$1ln$1@dont-email.me> <j9il9eFpqciU1@mid.individual.net>
<j9inseFq4f4U4@mid.individual.net> <t1262p$e4o$1@dont-email.me>
<158fc079-b583-42dc-afc3-ccfc35dde203n@googlegroups.com>
<t13a66$v46$1@dont-email.me> <j9krhpF8e0sU1@mid.individual.net>
<j9krnhF8e1jU2@mid.individual.net> <j9krvsF8e1jU3@mid.individual.net>
<c9aa0d32-0770-4518-abb0-f0d7c2b323abn@googlegroups.com>
<t13sea$rt2$1@dont-email.me> <j9llogFd4eqU1@mid.individual.net>
<c4bb611f-cd72-4755-948a-aaf7abaa231cn@googlegroups.com>
<t14e14$qcd$2@dont-email.me>
 by: Yosemite Sam - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 12:00 UTC

On 19/03/2022 10:15 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 9:57 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
>> On Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 20:23:31 UTC+11, Yosemite Sam wrote:
>>
>>> Take the vehicle to a tire shop. Most dedicated tire shops have tire
>>> shaving machines that will shave the tire's tread until the flat
>>> spot is
>>> gone. This is the only solution for a flat spot caused by a long skid.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> HAHA, no shit??.
>>>
>>> https://itstillruns.com/fix-flat-spots-tires-7779179.html
>>>
>>> I'm sure there would be plenty of other links saying the same thing.
>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>   Go find a few more just for shits and giggles.
>
> I wonder if Felix can find a video where a car has been stored on it's
> wheels for 11 years and the owner fired it up and the tyres were fine
> after a few drives around the block.

if the tyres were kept inflated beyond their normal pressure so that
they were kept round they wouldn't get a flat spot

> And I mean a *real* video. Not something out of a computer game :)

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

"His opinions have been crushed into insignificant dust by
the enormous weight of his lies"- Alvey on the Fraudster
"He came, he saw, he got pummelled" - Alvey on Keefy
"What a pair! Not a single word of rebuttal or reason,
just cretinous abuse" - Alvey on jonz and noddy
"His self serving ego pumping comments just read
like witless wankery"- Clocky on Keefy
"your opinion isn't worth 2 knobs of goat shit"- Xeno on Grubby Tech
"You cannot turn Darren's lies into the truth by attempting to *discredit*
what *I* say. You just make yourself look more of a dick"- Xeno to Grubby Tech

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<t14r4e$3m7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13080&group=aus.cars#13080

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 22:59:20 +0800
 by: Clocky - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:59 UTC

On 19/03/2022 9:04 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 11:21 am, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:

>>> How do you know? They may well have developed flat spots that make the
>>> car undriveable as well as cracked/perished.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Anyone with a clue, raises the vehicle off the ground when storing for
>> any length of time.
>
> Exactly.

That assumes the person is not clueless.

But someone who assumes might think that someone claiming to be a
"qualified mechanic" needed to diagnose a fault by swapping parts in
hope and claim it as a "legitimate" diagnostic procedure when a real,
qualified and experienced mechanic could diagnose an intermittent
misfire in 5 mins from the fuel trim data and could safely and
legitimately dismiss the parts swapping moron as a fraud :-)

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<t14r84$3m7$2@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13081&group=aus.cars#13081

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 23:01:25 +0800
 by: Clocky - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:01 UTC

On 19/03/2022 10:00 am, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 12:56 pm, Xeno wrote:

>>> Exactly.
>>>
>>> If you bought a new car and parked it in a garage for 11 years the
>>> tyres would develop an unrecoverable flat spot that would render them
>>> completely unserviceable. The *only* way to store a car that's not
>>> being driven for that length of time is to do so with either the
>>> wheels off and in a storage rack or the car elevated so there is no
>>> weight on the rubber.
>>
>> When the car is run on the road, and the tyres warm up, any flat spots
>> tend to *iron themselves out* after a few kilometres.
>

> yeah that's what I thought. only solid rubber tyres can develop
> permanent flat spots, I think.

You thought wrong.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if
it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<t14rb7$3m7$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13082&group=aus.cars#13082

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 23:03:04 +0800
 by: Clocky - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 15:03 UTC

On 19/03/2022 5:24 pm, Yosemite Sam wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 5:15 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>   After 11yrs?, Not a chance in hell....
>>
>> Yep. This moron is absolutely clueless :)

>> Felix having no idea about this stuff I can get, but Clasener is
>> supposed to be the eminently qualified expert who passed on vital
>> knowledge to the up and comings who were working in the trade, and
>> here he is making a complete idiot out of himself yet again with
>> *more* of his ridiculous ignorance.
>>
>> It defies belief that someone who constantly displays how utterly
>> clueless they are as he does could have ever taught anyone how to be
>> anything other than an abject failure. I'll bet his students
>> absolutely *hated* him and thought he was a complete flog :)
>>

> Flat spots can be caused by locking up your brakes or by your car or
> truck being parked for a long period of time in one place. There are two
> ways to correct flat spots on your tires, depending on the cause.
>
> Step 1
> Fill each tire to the maximum level as noted on the sidewall of the
> tire, using the air compressor. Check to make sure the pressure is
> correct using the tire gauge.
>
> Step 2
> Drive the vehicle for at least 150 miles. If the flat spots were due to
> the vehicle being parked for a long time, this should solve the problem.
>
> Step 3
> Release air from the tires to bring the tire pressure back within the
> normal range, as noted in the vehicle's owner's manual and on the
> driver's door information plaque. Do this by inserting a valve core tool
> into the tire stem.
>
> Take the vehicle to a tire shop. Most dedicated tire shops have tire
> shaving machines that will shave the tire's tread until the flat spot is
> gone. This is the only solution for a flat spot caused by a long skid.
>
> https://itstillruns.com/fix-flat-spots-tires-7779179.html
>
> I'm sure there would be plenty of other links saying the same thing.

After 11 years? Not a chance.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if
it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<10r5g2vwz720o.10gpuudioqae5.dlg@40tude.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13086&group=aus.cars#13086

From: alv...@is.invalid (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 06:00:49 +1000
References: <okc73ht3931bf8p86lqrgp4uju875j6rv2@4ax.com> <t10mfl$qd3$2@dont-email.me> <j9i5iuFn3ccU2@mid.individual.net> <t112b9$1ln$1@dont-email.me> <j9il9eFpqciU1@mid.individual.net> <j9inseFq4f4U4@mid.individual.net> <j9iqouFqq46U1@mid.individual.net> <j9kor5F7uioU1@mid.individual.net> <j9kqi5F88nrU1@mid.individual.net> <j9krirF8e1jU1@mid.individual.net> <j9ks0jF8fifU2@mid.individual.net> <80b19177-41f7-4c7a-9c94-17e3d97e2100n@googlegroups.com> <t13sg8$rt2$2@dont-email.me>
 by: alvey - Sat, 19 Mar 2022 20:00 UTC

On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:16:39 +1100, Noddy wrote:

> On 19/03/2022 3:29 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
>> On Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 13:04:06 UTC+11, Xeno wrote:
>
>>> What ails Darren, according to all the pundits, is an *incurable* condition.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> PUNDITS?, amongst you bunch of misfits......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa :)))
>
> I suppose that puts me in the same company as Shane Warne then, as it's
> all about assumption and not fact, right? :)

In your delusional dreams Fraudster. And actually, you've got it wrong
again. It's the other way around. It is a *fact* that SKW was a great
bowler, it is another *fact* that you're a liar, fraud etc.

alvey
“My old man was a returned serviceman Ron (he fought in Korea) and *hated*
Asians with a passion…” Fraudster, 09Oct08
https://nominal-rolls.dva.gov.au/

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<e857e2f1-e4e5-41ba-a57d-ceeedb77eae5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13089&group=aus.cars#13089

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:58:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnhhhi...@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 00:58 UTC

On Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 22:12:59 UTC+11, Noddy wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 10:05 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:

> >> Bearing in mind that none of this is relevant to tyres in use today....
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Some trucks still run caps, but not many. (You dont see many big black snakes on the road anymore. And they`re cured for a bit more than a couple of hours) Good thing.
> I was talking more about the idea of "hardening" the rubber, or "recaps
> that come to you" as opposed to using recaps per se'.
>
> You can still buy tyre regrooving guns. Why the fuck you'd *want* to is
> a mystery.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~````
Cruel and unusual punishment those things. :(
> --
> --
> --
> Regards,
> Noddy.

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<t1663h$f73$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13092&group=aus.cars#13092

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 11:12:43 +0800
 by: Clocky - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 03:12 UTC

On 19/03/2022 2:16 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 3:29 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
>> On Saturday, 19 March 2022 at 13:04:06 UTC+11, Xeno wrote:
>
>>> What ails Darren, according to all the pundits, is an *incurable*
>>> condition.
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>   PUNDITS?, amongst you bunch of
>> misfits......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa :)))
>
> I suppose that puts me in the same company as Shane Warne then, as it's
> all about assumption and not fact, right? :)

Nobody needs to assume Warne was a great bowler, the record speaks for
itself.

There is no record of your many claims at all, in fact the only evidence
that does exist suggests you're a complete fraud.

That you're an abusive liar, coward and internet bully is proven
documented fact, countless thousands of your posts back that up.
Nothing to assume there.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if
it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<j9nnrrFp6upU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13093&group=aus.cars#13093

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 15:11:39 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 04:11 UTC

On 20/3/2022 7:00 am, alvey wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:16:39 +1100, Noddy wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> PUNDITS?, amongst you bunch of misfits......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa :)))
>>
>> I suppose that puts me in the same company as Shane Warne then, as it's
>> all about assumption and not fact, right? :)
>
> In your delusional dreams Fraudster. And actually, you've got it wrong
> again. It's the other way around. It is a *fact* that SKW was a great
> bowler,

And he had the runs on the board, errr, wickets taken to prove it.

> it is another *fact* that you're a liar, fraud etc.>

And Darren cannot disprove that. Had he been able to do so, he would
have done it by now.

> alvey
> “My old man was a returned serviceman Ron (he fought in Korea) and *hated*
> Asians with a passion…” Fraudster, 09Oct08
> https://nominal-rolls.dva.gov.au/

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<j9o7jhFs2kkU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13098&group=aus.cars#13098

From: xenol...@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 19:40:17 +1100
 by: Xeno - Sun, 20 Mar 2022 08:40 UTC

On 20/3/2022 2:12 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 2:16 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>   PUNDITS?, amongst you bunch of
>>> misfits......HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa :)))
>>
>> I suppose that puts me in the same company as Shane Warne then, as
>> it's all about assumption and not fact, right? :)
>>

> Nobody needs to assume Warne was a great bowler, the record speaks for
> itself.

Lots and lots of *video evidence* too. Was looking at some of his
bowling successes on TV just this afternoon.

> There is no record of your many claims at all, in fact the only evidence
> that does exist suggests you're a complete fraud.

Darren *runs away* from stumping up evidence.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Tyres fraying at edges.

<t1lv82$k09$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13264&group=aus.cars#13264

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 10:53:54 +0800
 by: Clocky - Sat, 26 Mar 2022 02:53 UTC

On 19/03/2022 5:32 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> On 19/03/2022 2:56 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> A friend who owned a grader always bought new tyres a year before he
>>> needed them. They sat in the roof of his garage hardening until he
>>> needed them. He reckoned that doing that doubled their life. Of
>>> course what is good for heavy machinery tyres may not be best for car
>>> tyres.
>>
>> A lot of people used to do that years ago, including car owners.
>>
>> Some people would throw brand new tyres on the roof of their garage or
>> house and leave them sit exposed to the sun for some time before using
>> them, with their logic being that exposing them to massive amounts of
>> UV hardened the rubber and increased their wear resistance. However
>> they were also completely oblivious to the fact that it totally killed
>> the tyre's elasticity and reduced the grip to near zero.
>>
> Yearh well Bill put his tyres on not on the roof, god knows how he got
> them up there, they weighed a ton. Like I said, what is good for
> earthmover tyres may not be good for car ones, the use is completely
> different.
>
> Conversely in Perth in the late 60s there was a company that would
> re-tread your tyres while you were at work. Drop the car off at 8am,
> pick it up at 4pm, of course the treads were so soft that they almost
> left a trail of rubber down the road.

They still do that in South Australia. I know someone who had it done in
Adelaide about 10 years ago on their Kia Cerato that they were using to
tow their caravan around Australia.