6 May, 2024: The networking issue during the past two days has been identified and may be fixed. Will keep monitoring.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022

SubjectAuthor
* UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022Birthday Monitor
`* Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022Penny
 +* Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022Mike McMillan
 |`- Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022Chris
 `* Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022Nick Odell
  +* Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022Penny
  |`* Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022Vicky
  | +* Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022Chris
  | |`- Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022Vicky
  | `- Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022carolet
  +* Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022Chris
  |+- Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022carolet
  |`- Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022Nick Odell
  `- Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022Chris

1
UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022

<20221221070501.920522051953839@umra.birthday.bot>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13267&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13267

From: nic...@leverton.org (Birthday Monitor)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 07:08:57 +0000 (UTC)
 by: Birthday Monitor - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 07:08 UTC

Birthday News for today, 21 December: Christine Barford.

Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022

<6cl5qhpjhp10d7sipocaju1cp8aj6lppu5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13270&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13270

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:45:00 +0000
 by: Penny - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:45 UTC

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 07:08:57 +0000 (UTC), Birthday Monitor
<nick@leverton.org> a gribouillé dans la poussière...

>Birthday News for today, 21 December: Christine Barford.

91 today - time we had some news of her.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022

<tnul9d$10fnq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13271&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13271

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:57:01 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ZQy+/aa6MvIyNOFerzruqQt4C1s=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:57 UTC

Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 07:08:57 +0000 (UTC), Birthday Monitor
> <nick@leverton.org> a gribouillé dans la poussière...
>
>> Birthday News for today, 21 December: Christine Barford.
>
> 91 today - time we had some news of her.

In her condition, she probably thinks she is 19 :-(

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022

<tnv3oj$11qiv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13273&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13273

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:04:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:eMw+B8W4QPRptC9C9u9g9POoUvU=
 by: Chris - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:04 UTC

Mike McMillan <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
> Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 07:08:57 +0000 (UTC), Birthday Monitor
>> <nick@leverton.org> a gribouillé dans la poussière...
>>
>>> Birthday News for today, 21 December: Christine Barford.
>>
>> 91 today - time we had some news of her.
>
> In her condition, she probably thinks she is 19 :-(

With no Peggoi to speak, I think she’s bern forgotten

Mrs McT

Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022

<ak36qhlqpelj2g58mn4j9bjabpce8dpuep@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13274&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13274

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:12:34 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:12 UTC

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:45:00 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 07:08:57 +0000 (UTC), Birthday Monitor
><nick@leverton.org> a gribouillé dans la poussière...
>
>>Birthday News for today, 21 December: Christine Barford.
>
>91 today - time we had some news of her.

According to the Wikipedia article (which also informs us that it is a
"stub") Christine Barford's Best Friend officially retired in 2019.

....which is as good a place as any to rant a little on one of my
(many) hobbyhorses...

Good for Lesley Saweard! She left it a bit late but she actually
retired. I have no argument with anybody from any walk of life and
from any trade or profession or none who truly wants to work until
they drop but most of us either want to do something else in our later
years or maybe just have a little rest and appreciate our friends and
family a bit more.

I suspect a variant on coercive control is taking place against many
performers of the frail and doddery persuasion. "Oh, please don't
retire!" clamour the legion of fans. "We love you so much, we don't
want you to retire!"

"I can't retire," wistfully thinks the doddery and frail performer.
"I'm doddery and frail and I'd love to grow roses and play with my
grandchildren but the public keep telling me how much they need me and
I can't let them down."

Why oh why can't the public say to their beloved performers, "We think
you are great! We've loved you for year after year, through generation
after generation but now it's your time. We've got our memories -
along with the recordings and the photos and we'll always have those -
so now it's time for you to go and enjoy your retirement just as we
are enjoying our retirements. Please go and do that with our blessing.

It all seems a bit selfish to me.

Nick

Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022

<1f07qhptl0te2q9af6mcgkmu3dbehh0d7e@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13276&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13276

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 22:02:24 +0000
 by: Penny - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 22:02 UTC

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:12:34 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> a
gribouillé dans la poussière...

>On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:45:00 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 07:08:57 +0000 (UTC), Birthday Monitor
>><nick@leverton.org> a gribouillé dans la poussière...
>>
>>>Birthday News for today, 21 December: Christine Barford.
>>
>>91 today - time we had some news of her.
>
>According to the Wikipedia article (which also informs us that it is a
>"stub") Christine Barford's Best Friend officially retired in 2019.
>
>...which is as good a place as any to rant a little on one of my
>(many) hobbyhorses...
>
>Good for Lesley Saweard! She left it a bit late but she actually
>retired. I have no argument with anybody from any walk of life and
>from any trade or profession or none who truly wants to work until
>they drop but most of us either want to do something else in our later
>years or maybe just have a little rest and appreciate our friends and
>family a bit more.
>
>I suspect a variant on coercive control is taking place against many
>performers of the frail and doddery persuasion. "Oh, please don't
>retire!" clamour the legion of fans. "We love you so much, we don't
>want you to retire!"
>
>"I can't retire," wistfully thinks the doddery and frail performer.
>"I'm doddery and frail and I'd love to grow roses and play with my
>grandchildren but the public keep telling me how much they need me and
>I can't let them down."
>
>Why oh why can't the public say to their beloved performers, "We think
>you are great! We've loved you for year after year, through generation
>after generation but now it's your time. We've got our memories -
>along with the recordings and the photos and we'll always have those -
>so now it's time for you to go and enjoy your retirement just as we
>are enjoying our retirements. Please go and do that with our blessing.
>
>It all seems a bit selfish to me.

Maybe. I suspect many of them can't afford to retire.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022

<3d17qhhmjsmbdvmeheict0j1l2h3igkkpj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13277&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13277

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 22:17:33 +0000
 by: Vicky - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 22:17 UTC

On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 22:02:24 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:12:34 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> a
>gribouillé dans la poussière...
>

>>...which is as good a place as any to rant a little on one of my
>>(many) hobbyhorses...
>>
>>Good for Lesley Saweard! She left it a bit late but she actually
>>retired. I have no argument with anybody from any walk of life and
>>from any trade or profession or none who truly wants to work until
>>they drop but most of us either want to do something else in our later
>>years or maybe just have a little rest and appreciate our friends and
>>family a bit more.
>>
>>I suspect a variant on coercive control is taking place against many
>>performers of the frail and doddery persuasion. "Oh, please don't
>>retire!" clamour the legion of fans. "We love you so much, we don't
>>want you to retire!"
>>
>>"I can't retire," wistfully thinks the doddery and frail performer.
>>"I'm doddery and frail and I'd love to grow roses and play with my
>>grandchildren but the public keep telling me how much they need me and
>>I can't let them down."
>>
>>Why oh why can't the public say to their beloved performers, "We think
>>you are great! We've loved you for year after year, through generation
>>after generation but now it's your time. We've got our memories -
>>along with the recordings and the photos and we'll always have those -
>>so now it's time for you to go and enjoy your retirement just as we
>>are enjoying our retirements. Please go and do that with our blessing.
>>
>>It all seems a bit selfish to me.
>
>Maybe. I suspect many of them can't afford to retire.

Someone on gb posted that Jenny's actor, Angela Piper, has had a
stroke. I can't find anything online in news about it.

Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022

<to16q2$1b2i7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13285&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13285

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 09:08:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:FAPOcXDnCU7WGjdzBfewzKhAVrQ=
 by: Chris - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 09:08 UTC

Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:45:00 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 07:08:57 +0000 (UTC), Birthday Monitor
>> <nick@leverton.org> a gribouillé dans la poussière...
>>
>>> Birthday News for today, 21 December: Christine Barford.
>>
>> 91 today - time we had some news of her.
>
> According to the Wikipedia article (which also informs us that it is a
> "stub") Christine Barford's Best Friend officially retired in 2019.
>
> ...which is as good a place as any to rant a little on one of my
> (many) hobbyhorses...
>
> Good for Lesley Saweard! She left it a bit late but she actually
> retired. I have no argument with anybody from any walk of life and
> from any trade or profession or none who truly wants to work until
> they drop but most of us either want to do something else in our later
> years or maybe just have a little rest and appreciate our friends and
> family a bit more.
>
> I suspect a variant on coercive control is taking place against many
> performers of the frail and doddery persuasion. "Oh, please don't
> retire!" clamour the legion of fans. "We love you so much, we don't
> want you to retire!"
>
> "I can't retire," wistfully thinks the doddery and frail performer.
> "I'm doddery and frail and I'd love to grow roses and play with my
> grandchildren but the public keep telling me how much they need me and
> I can't let them down."
>
> Why oh why can't the public say to their beloved performers, "We think
> you are great! We've loved you for year after year, through generation
> after generation but now it's your time. We've got our memories -
> along with the recordings and the photos and we'll always have those -
> so now it's time for you to go and enjoy your retirement just as we
> are enjoying our retirements. Please go and do that with our blessing.
>
> It all seems a bit selfish to me.
>
> Nick

But we never heard she’d officially retired: covid came I suppose. I can’t
even remember her last appearance. Carolet?

Mrs McT

Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022

<to16q2$1b2i7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13286&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13286

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 09:08:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:iPOwYd0dBdnt9t+5H1RKxSUHRWo=
 by: Chris - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 09:08 UTC

Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:45:00 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 07:08:57 +0000 (UTC), Birthday Monitor
>> <nick@leverton.org> a gribouillé dans la poussière...
>>
>>> Birthday News for today, 21 December: Christine Barford.
>>
>> 91 today - time we had some news of her.
>
> According to the Wikipedia article (which also informs us that it is a
> "stub") Christine Barford's Best Friend officially retired in 2019.
>
> ...which is as good a place as any to rant a little on one of my
> (many) hobbyhorses...
>
> Good for Lesley Saweard! She left it a bit late but she actually
> retired. I have no argument with anybody from any walk of life and
> from any trade or profession or none who truly wants to work until
> they drop but most of us either want to do something else in our later
> years or maybe just have a little rest and appreciate our friends and
> family a bit more.
>
> I suspect a variant on coercive control is taking place against many
> performers of the frail and doddery persuasion. "Oh, please don't
> retire!" clamour the legion of fans. "We love you so much, we don't
> want you to retire!"
>
> "I can't retire," wistfully thinks the doddery and frail performer.
> "I'm doddery and frail and I'd love to grow roses and play with my
> grandchildren but the public keep telling me how much they need me and
> I can't let them down."
>
> Why oh why can't the public say to their beloved performers, "We think
> you are great! We've loved you for year after year, through generation
> after generation but now it's your time. We've got our memories -
> along with the recordings and the photos and we'll always have those -
> so now it's time for you to go and enjoy your retirement just as we
> are enjoying our retirements. Please go and do that with our blessing.
>
> It all seems a bit selfish to me.
>
> Nick

And some people just can’t see they’re past it. You can hear it in their
voices.

Mrs McT

Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022

<to1i1i$1c8fh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13289&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13289

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:20:02 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:NBQbsAv8h+pNSU9q6d22QBwrVyw=
 by: Chris - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:20 UTC

Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 22:02:24 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:12:34 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> a
>> gribouillé dans la poussière...
>>

>>> ...which is as good a place as any to rant a little on one of my
>>> (many) hobbyhorses...
>>>
>>> Good for Lesley Saweard! She left it a bit late but she actually
>>> retired. I have no argument with anybody from any walk of life and
>>> from any trade or profession or none who truly wants to work until
>>> they drop but most of us either want to do something else in our later
>>> years or maybe just have a little rest and appreciate our friends and
>>> family a bit more.
>>>
>>> I suspect a variant on coercive control is taking place against many
>>> performers of the frail and doddery persuasion. "Oh, please don't
>>> retire!" clamour the legion of fans. "We love you so much, we don't
>>> want you to retire!"
>>>
>>> "I can't retire," wistfully thinks the doddery and frail performer.
>>> "I'm doddery and frail and I'd love to grow roses and play with my
>>> grandchildren but the public keep telling me how much they need me and
>>> I can't let them down."
>>>
>>> Why oh why can't the public say to their beloved performers, "We think
>>> you are great! We've loved you for year after year, through generation
>>> after generation but now it's your time. We've got our memories -
>>> along with the recordings and the photos and we'll always have those -
>>> so now it's time for you to go and enjoy your retirement just as we
>>> are enjoying our retirements. Please go and do that with our blessing.
>>>
>>> It all seems a bit selfish to me.
>>
>> Maybe. I suspect many of them can't afford to retire.
>
> Someone on gb posted that Jenny's actor, Angela Piper, has had a
> stroke. I can't find anything online in news about it.

Whatever “gb” is.

Mrs McT

Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022

<nam8qht6bmocsgn4gta8keg01tl3mstcm1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13291&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13291

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 13:19:42 +0000
 by: Vicky - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 13:19 UTC

On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 12:20:02 -0000 (UTC), Chris
<chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 22:02:24 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Someone on gb posted that Jenny's actor, Angela Piper, has had a
>> stroke. I can't find anything online in news about it.
>>

>Whatever “gb” is.
>
>Mrs McT

Sorry, fb, which is facebook.

Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022

<to45m8$1muro$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13302&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13302

From: carolet....@gmail.com (carolet)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 12:07:36 +0000
 by: carolet - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 12:07 UTC

On 22/12/2022 09:08, Chris wrote:
> Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:45:00 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 07:08:57 +0000 (UTC), Birthday Monitor
>>> <nick@leverton.org> a gribouillé dans la poussière...

>>> 91 today - time we had some news of her.
>>
>> According to the Wikipedia article (which also informs us that it is a
>> "stub") Christine Barford's Best Friend officially retired in 2019.
>>
>> ...which is as good a place as any to rant a little on one of my
>> (many) hobbyhorses...
>>
>> Good for Lesley Saweard! She left it a bit late but she actually
>> retired. I have no argument with anybody from any walk of life and
>> from any trade or profession or none who truly wants to work until
>> they drop but most of us either want to do something else in our later
>> years or maybe just have a little rest and appreciate our friends and
>> family a bit more.
>>
>> I suspect a variant on coercive control is taking place against many
>> performers of the frail and doddery persuasion. "Oh, please don't
>> retire!" clamour the legion of fans. "We love you so much, we don't
>> want you to retire!"
>>
>> "I can't retire," wistfully thinks the doddery and frail performer.
>> "I'm doddery and frail and I'd love to grow roses and play with my
>> grandchildren but the public keep telling me how much they need me and
>> I can't let them down."
>>
>> Why oh why can't the public say to their beloved performers, "We think
>> you are great! We've loved you for year after year, through generation
>> after generation but now it's your time. We've got our memories -
>> along with the recordings and the photos and we'll always have those -
>> so now it's time for you to go and enjoy your retirement just as we
>> are enjoying our retirements. Please go and do that with our blessing.
>>
>> It all seems a bit selfish to me.
>>
>> Nick
>>

> But we never heard she’d officially retired: covid came I suppose. I can’t
> even remember her last appearance. Carolet?
>
> Mrs McT

Christine's last appearance was in 2019. She appeared in just the first
week and last week of the year.

--
CaroleT

Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022

<to45of$1muro$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13303&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13303

From: carolet....@gmail.com (carolet)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2022 12:08:47 +0000
 by: carolet - Fri, 23 Dec 2022 12:08 UTC

On 21/12/2022 22:17, Vicky wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 22:02:24 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 14:12:34 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> a
>> gribouillé dans la poussière...
>>

>>> ...which is as good a place as any to rant a little on one of my
>>> (many) hobbyhorses...
>>>
>>> Good for Lesley Saweard! She left it a bit late but she actually
>>> retired. I have no argument with anybody from any walk of life and
>> >from any trade or profession or none who truly wants to work until
>>> they drop but most of us either want to do something else in our later
>>> years or maybe just have a little rest and appreciate our friends and
>>> family a bit more.
>>>
>>> I suspect a variant on coercive control is taking place against many
>>> performers of the frail and doddery persuasion. "Oh, please don't
>>> retire!" clamour the legion of fans. "We love you so much, we don't
>>> want you to retire!"
>>>
>>> "I can't retire," wistfully thinks the doddery and frail performer.
>>> "I'm doddery and frail and I'd love to grow roses and play with my
>>> grandchildren but the public keep telling me how much they need me and
>>> I can't let them down."
>>>
>>> Why oh why can't the public say to their beloved performers, "We think
>>> you are great! We've loved you for year after year, through generation
>>> after generation but now it's your time. We've got our memories -
>>> along with the recordings and the photos and we'll always have those -
>>> so now it's time for you to go and enjoy your retirement just as we
>>> are enjoying our retirements. Please go and do that with our blessing.
>>>
>>> It all seems a bit selfish to me.
>>
>> Maybe. I suspect many of them can't afford to retire.
>
> Someone on gb posted that Jenny's actor, Angela Piper, has had a
> stroke. I can't find anything online in news about it.

While I'm checking such things, Jenny last appeared in February of this
year.

--
CaroleT

Re: UMRA birthday info for 21 December 2022

<qaqeqh15c7a5esuktqka75lrgg7003ht0l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13325&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13325

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2022 21:05:57 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Sat, 24 Dec 2022 21:05 UTC

On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 09:08:18 -0000 (UTC), Chris
<chris.mcmillan@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 09:45:00 +0000, Penny <spam@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Wed, 21 Dec 2022 07:08:57 +0000 (UTC), Birthday Monitor
>>> <nick@leverton.org> a gribouillé dans la poussière...

>>> 91 today - time we had some news of her.
>>
>> According to the Wikipedia article (which also informs us that it is a
>> "stub") Christine Barford's Best Friend officially retired in 2019.
>>
>> ...which is as good a place as any to rant a little on one of my
>> (many) hobbyhorses...
>>
>> Good for Lesley Saweard! She left it a bit late but she actually
>> retired. I have no argument with anybody from any walk of life and
>> from any trade or profession or none who truly wants to work until
>> they drop but most of us either want to do something else in our later
>> years or maybe just have a little rest and appreciate our friends and
>> family a bit more.
>>
>> I suspect a variant on coercive control is taking place against many
>> performers of the frail and doddery persuasion. "Oh, please don't
>> retire!" clamour the legion of fans. "We love you so much, we don't
>> want you to retire!"
>>
>> "I can't retire," wistfully thinks the doddery and frail performer.
>> "I'm doddery and frail and I'd love to grow roses and play with my
>> grandchildren but the public keep telling me how much they need me and
>> I can't let them down."
>>
>> Why oh why can't the public say to their beloved performers, "We think
>> you are great! We've loved you for year after year, through generation
>> after generation but now it's your time. We've got our memories -
>> along with the recordings and the photos and we'll always have those -
>> so now it's time for you to go and enjoy your retirement just as we
>> are enjoying our retirements. Please go and do that with our blessing.
>>
>> It all seems a bit selfish to me.
>>
>> Nick
>>

>But we never heard she’d officially retired: covid came I suppose. I can’t
>even remember her last appearance. Carolet?

Wikipedia just says "Years active 1953 - 2019." There are no
attributes for that statement AFAICC.

Nick