This fortune was brought to you by the people at Hewlett-Packard.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Bright headlights.

SubjectAuthor
* Bright headlights.Peter Jason
+* Bright headlights.Noddy
|+- Bright headlights.alvey
|`* Bright headlights.jonz@ nothere.com
| +* Bright headlights.Daryl
| |+- Bright headlights.Noddy
| |`- Bright headlights.jonz@ nothere.com
| `* Bright headlights.Peter Jason
|  +- Bright headlights.lindsay
|  `- Bright headlights.jonz@ nothere.com
+* Bright headlights.Trevor Wilson
|`* Bright headlights.jonz@ nothere.com
| `* Bright headlights.Trevor Wilson
|  +* Bright headlights.Noddy
|  |+* Bright headlights.Daryl
|  ||`- Bright headlights.Noddy
|  |+- Bright headlights.Xeno
|  |`* Bright headlights.Trevor Wilson
|  | `* Bright headlights.Noddy
|  |  `* Bright headlights.Trevor Wilson
|  |   +- Bright headlights.Daryl
|  |   +* Bright headlights.Noddy
|  |   |`- Bright headlights.Clocky
|  |   `- Bright headlights.Clocky
|  +* Bright headlights.Daryl
|  |+- Bright headlights.DBR
|  |+- Bright headlights.Clocky
|  |`* Bright headlights.Trevor Wilson
|  | `* Bright headlights.Daryl
|  |  `* Bright headlights.Trevor Wilson
|  |   `* Bright headlights.Daryl
|  |    `* Bright headlights.Trevor Wilson
|  |     `- Bright headlights.Daryl
|  +- Bright headlights.jonz@ nothere.com
|  `- Bright headlights.Clocky
`* Bright headlights.Yosemite Sam
 `- Bright headlights.Xeno

Pages:12
Re: Bright headlights.

<jaabivFcldrU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13282&group=aus.cars#13282

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Bright headlights.
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 16:38:40 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 05:38 UTC

On 26/03/2022 9:24 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 26/03/2022 6:57 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>>>
>>> ~~~~~~~~~
>>> ~~~~~~~~~
>>>   You can buy LED globes to fit just about *any* vehicle, from Ebay
>>> etc. Very cheap and nothing automatic about them. ;)
>>
>> **Yes, you can and they would be illegal to use. I just fitted some to
>> my Stagea for high beam, which I understand is not illegal. Low beam
>> would another story.
>
> LED globes in a headlight that was not designed for them are illegal in
> low or high beam. To make it legal, you must replace the light assembly
> and remove the reflector that was originally designed for halogen globes.

**So, it is your contention that ALL after-market driving lights are
also illegal then?

Re: Bright headlights.

<t1oue6$8vi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13283&group=aus.cars#13283

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 16:58:28 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 05:58 UTC

On 27/03/2022 4:38 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 26/03/2022 9:24 am, Noddy wrote:

>> LED globes in a headlight that was not designed for them are illegal
>> in low or high beam. To make it legal, you must replace the light
>> assembly and remove the reflector that was originally designed for
>> halogen globes.
>>

> **So, it is your contention that ALL after-market driving lights are
> also illegal then?

I don't know how you could get that from what I said. Let me try again:

Fitting LED globes to a headlight assembly that was designed for Halogen
globes is illegal, as the reflectors used with Halogen globes do not
permit the LED's to comply with the requirements. As I said in another
post, it's a case of projection versus reflection. If you want to run
LED headlamps and have your car meet the legal requirements, then you
need to use a light assembly that was specifically designed for them.

No one was talking about after-market driving lights, and their legality
is completely irrelevant to anything being discussed here.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Bright headlights.

<jaad4tFcuunU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13284&group=aus.cars#13284

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:05:15 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 06:05 UTC

On 27/03/2022 4:58 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 27/03/2022 4:38 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 26/03/2022 9:24 am, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> LED globes in a headlight that was not designed for them are illegal
>>> in low or high beam. To make it legal, you must replace the light
>>> assembly and remove the reflector that was originally designed for
>>> halogen globes.
>>>

>> **So, it is your contention that ALL after-market driving lights are
>> also illegal then?
>
> I don't know how you could get that from what I said. Let me try again:
>
> Fitting LED globes to a headlight assembly that was designed for Halogen
> globes is illegal, as the reflectors used with Halogen globes do not
> permit the LED's to comply with the requirements. As I said in another
> post, it's a case of projection versus reflection. If you want to run
> LED headlamps and have your car meet the legal requirements, then you
> need to use a light assembly that was specifically designed for them.
>
> No one was talking about after-market driving lights, and their legality
> is completely irrelevant to anything being discussed here.

**Of course it's relevant. When using high beam, it would seem that you
can use 1,000 Watts of lighting with no penalty. I have never seen a car
knocked back for rego, or issued a defect notice for using whatever
lighting they wish. With ONE exception: Lighting of any kind cannot be
placed high up on the vehicle (like those morons who have lights high up
over the roof-line) Reflectors are irrelevant when talking about high
beam. Low beam lighting MUST employ a specific lighting pattern, that
ensures oncoming traffic is not dazzled. Which is why LED headlights
(AFAIK) must now employ auto-levelling.

And yes, I checked with my mechanic, who does rego checks on my cars.
LED high beam is NOT illegal to use. LED low beam (without auto
levelling and, as you say, with improper reflectors) may well be.

Re: Bright headlights.

<jaad9mFcv8qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13285&group=aus.cars#13285

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:07:49 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 06:07 UTC

On 27/3/2022 4:37 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 26/03/2022 9:53 am, Daryl wrote:

>>> **Yes, you can and they would be illegal to use. I just fitted some
>>> to my Stagea for high beam, which I understand is not illegal. Low
>>> beam would another story.
>>
>> Why do you think it would be illegal to fit LED's to your low beam?
>
> **As I understand it, they must be self-levelling to be legal.
>
>> Never heard of law saying that LED's need to be self leveling, our WRX
>> had LED low beams and they weren't self leveling.
>> Ours was built late 2014, self leveling was on later models but not ours.
>
> **Yep. They may well have been legal back then (though I suspect you had
> a dashboard adjustment for load compensation), but I understand they are
> not legal any longer.

If it did have a adjuster I never found it:-)

--
Daryl

Re: Bright headlights.

<jaadoiFd26hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13286&group=aus.cars#13286

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:15:43 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 06:15 UTC

On 27/3/2022 5:05 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 27/03/2022 4:58 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> **So, it is your contention that ALL after-market driving lights are
>>> also illegal then?
>>
>> I don't know how you could get that from what I said. Let me try again:
>>
>> Fitting LED globes to a headlight assembly that was designed for
>> Halogen globes is illegal, as the reflectors used with Halogen globes
>> do not permit the LED's to comply with the requirements. As I said in
>> another post, it's a case of projection versus reflection. If you want
>> to run LED headlamps and have your car meet the legal requirements,
>> then you need to use a light assembly that was specifically designed
>> for them.
>>
>> No one was talking about after-market driving lights, and their
>> legality is completely irrelevant to anything being discussed here.
>>

> **Of course it's relevant. When using high beam, it would seem that you
> can use 1,000 Watts of lighting with no penalty.

Driving lamps are entirely different to normal low or high beams, I
don't know of any regulation that limits their brightness.
There are rules that govern how they are wired/switched and their
mounting and when you can and can't use them .

I have never seen a car
> knocked back for rego, or issued a defect notice for using whatever
> lighting they wish. With ONE exception: Lighting of any kind cannot be
> placed high up on the vehicle (like those morons who have lights high up
> over the roof-line) Reflectors are irrelevant when talking about high
> beam. Low beam lighting MUST employ a specific lighting pattern, that
> ensures oncoming traffic is not dazzled. Which is why LED headlights
> (AFAIK) must now employ auto-levelling.
>
> And yes, I checked with my mechanic, who does rego checks on my cars.
> LED high beam is NOT illegal to use. LED low beam (without auto
> levelling and, as you say, with improper reflectors) may well be.

The Stedi web site states that their aftermarket LED globes don't change
the pattern of lights they are fitted too, that is correct for the high
beam LED's I fitted to the Golf.
If low beams are aimed correctly and don't blind on coming cars I doubt
that any cop would stop any car to look at their headlamp globes.

--
Daryl

Re: Bright headlights.

<t1p0ln$h8g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13287&group=aus.cars#13287

From: me...@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:36:36 +1100
 by: Noddy - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 06:36 UTC

On 27/03/2022 5:05 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 27/03/2022 4:58 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> **So, it is your contention that ALL after-market driving lights are
>>> also illegal then?
>>
>> I don't know how you could get that from what I said. Let me try again:
>>
>> Fitting LED globes to a headlight assembly that was designed for
>> Halogen globes is illegal, as the reflectors used with Halogen globes
>> do not permit the LED's to comply with the requirements. As I said in
>> another post, it's a case of projection versus reflection. If you want
>> to run LED headlamps and have your car meet the legal requirements,
>> then you need to use a light assembly that was specifically designed
>> for them.
>>
>> No one was talking about after-market driving lights, and their
>> legality is completely irrelevant to anything being discussed here.
>>

> **Of course it's relevant. When using high beam, it would seem that you
> can use 1,000 Watts of lighting with no penalty.

Perhaps, but that has nothing to do with the legality of LED replacement
globes in vehicles originally fitted with Halogen lights.

> I have never seen a car knocked back for rego, or issued a defect notice for using whatever
> lighting they wish.

Just out of curiosity, exactly how many times have you ever been in a
position to know one way or the other? :)

> With ONE exception: Lighting of any kind cannot be
> placed high up on the vehicle (like those morons who have lights high up
> over the roof-line)

Red the state regulations. The rules vary around the country.

> Reflectors are irrelevant when talking about high
> beam. Low beam lighting MUST employ a specific lighting pattern, that
> ensures oncoming traffic is not dazzled. Which is why LED headlights
> (AFAIK) must now employ auto-levelling.

Read the cite DBR posted earlier, which if you didn't see it can be
found here:

--

> And yes, I checked with my mechanic, who does rego checks on my cars.
> LED high beam is NOT illegal to use. LED low beam (without auto
> levelling and, as you say, with improper reflectors) may well be.

Your mechanic may want to brush up on the legislation. As a general rule
you cannot swap *any* original equipment halogen globe with an LED
unless you're also changing the reflector.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Bright headlights.

<jaaf9bFdbm6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13288&group=aus.cars#13288

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 17:41:45 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 06:41 UTC

On 27/03/2022 5:07 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 27/3/2022 4:37 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> Why do you think it would be illegal to fit LED's to your low beam?
>>
>> **As I understand it, they must be self-levelling to be legal.
>>
>>> Never heard of law saying that LED's need to be self leveling, our
>>> WRX had LED low beams and they weren't self leveling.
>>> Ours was built late 2014, self leveling was on later models but not
>>> ours.
>>
>> **Yep. They may well have been legal back then (though I suspect you
>> had a dashboard adjustment for load compensation), but I understand
>> they are not legal any longer.
>>
> If it did have a adjuster I never found it:-)

**It is (or was) down and to the left of the steering wheel, near the
dash lighting adjuster. It's in my Levorg handbook, which makes note of
models not fitted with self-levelling devices. Earlier Levorg models
were not fitted with self-levelling, nor turning headlights (mine turn
with steering input). I spent a good deal of time looking for the
adjuster, whilst studying the handbook, before I realised Subaru made
amendments on the fly and left the information pertaining to older
models in the book. Damned frustrating.

Re: Bright headlights.

<jab0fqFggn1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13291&group=aus.cars#13291

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2022 22:35:20 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 11:35 UTC

On 27/3/2022 5:41 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 27/03/2022 5:07 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> **As I understand it, they must be self-levelling to be legal.

>>> **Yep. They may well have been legal back then (though I suspect you
>>> had a dashboard adjustment for load compensation), but I understand
>>> they are not legal any longer.
>>>
>> If it did have a adjuster I never found it:-)
>>

> **It is (or was) down and to the left of the steering wheel, near the
> dash lighting adjuster. It's in my Levorg handbook, which makes note of
> models not fitted with self-levelling devices. Earlier Levorg models
> were not fitted with self-levelling, nor turning headlights (mine turn
> with steering input). I spent a good deal of time looking for the
> adjuster, whilst studying the handbook, before I realised Subaru made
> amendments on the fly and left the information pertaining to older
> models in the book. Damned frustrating.

Pretty sure our WRX didn't have self or manually leveling head lamps.
My 2002 C240 Benz does have manually adjustable head lamp height, tried
it once to see if it worked which it did and I haven't touched it since.

--
Daryl

Re: Bright headlights.

<jabopeFl534U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13292&group=aus.cars#13292

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 05:30:05 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 18:30 UTC

On 27/03/2022 10:35 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 27/3/2022 5:41 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> If it did have a adjuster I never found it:-)
>>>

>> **It is (or was) down and to the left of the steering wheel, near the
>> dash lighting adjuster. It's in my Levorg handbook, which makes note
>> of models not fitted with self-levelling devices. Earlier Levorg
>> models were not fitted with self-levelling, nor turning headlights
>> (mine turn with steering input). I spent a good deal of time looking
>> for the adjuster, whilst studying the handbook, before I realised
>> Subaru made amendments on the fly and left the information pertaining
>> to older models in the book. Damned frustrating.
>
> Pretty sure our WRX didn't have self or manually leveling head lamps.
> My 2002 C240 Benz does have manually adjustable head lamp height, tried
> it once to see if it worked which it did and I haven't touched it since.

**Sorry for the confusion. According to my manual, the adjuster was down
and to the RIGHT of the steering wheel. It is possible that there was no
adjuster present, but I doubt it. It looks like the thumbwheel adjuster
for the dash lights. Easy to confuse.

Yep, I just checked. The adjuster is exactly where I said it is. Down
and to the right of the steering wheel:

https://carmanuals2.com/get/subaru-impreza-wrx-2014-owner-s-manual-88572

BTW: Are you certain your headlights were LEDs? According to the manual,
they may be HID lamps. They look very similar on the orad to LEDs, but
have a warm-up time of a second of two and about 5 seconds to reach full
brightness.

Re: Bright headlights.

<jac54gFnd5mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13296&group=aus.cars#13296

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 09:00:46 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sun, 27 Mar 2022 22:00 UTC

On 28/3/2022 5:30 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 27/03/2022 10:35 pm, Daryl wrote:

>>> **It is (or was) down and to the left of the steering wheel, near the
>>> dash lighting adjuster. It's in my Levorg handbook, which makes note
>>> of models not fitted with self-levelling devices. Earlier Levorg
>>> models were not fitted with self-levelling, nor turning headlights
>>> (mine turn with steering input). I spent a good deal of time looking
>>> for the adjuster, whilst studying the handbook, before I realised
>>> Subaru made amendments on the fly and left the information pertaining
>>> to older models in the book. Damned frustrating.
>>
>> Pretty sure our WRX didn't have self or manually leveling head lamps.
>> My 2002 C240 Benz does have manually adjustable head lamp height,
>> tried it once to see if it worked which it did and I haven't touched
>> it since.
>>

> **Sorry for the confusion. According to my manual, the adjuster was down
> and to the RIGHT of the steering wheel. It is possible that there was no
> adjuster present, but I doubt it. It looks like the thumbwheel adjuster
> for the dash lights. Easy to confuse.
>
> Yep, I just checked. The adjuster is exactly where I said it is. Down
> and to the right of the steering wheel:
>
> https://carmanuals2.com/get/subaru-impreza-wrx-2014-owner-s-manual-88572
>
> BTW: Are you certain your headlights were LEDs? According to the manual,
> they may be HID lamps. They look very similar on the orad to LEDs, but
> have a warm-up time of a second of two and about 5 seconds to reach full
> brightness.

Ours was definitely LED, 99% sure there was no height adjuster,
according the manual you posted the leveler is for HID headlamps, page
3-32.

--
Daryl

Re: Bright headlights.

<t1qumm$rpj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13297&group=aus.cars#13297

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 08:15:12 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 00:15 UTC

On 27/03/2022 2:05 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 27/03/2022 4:58 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> **So, it is your contention that ALL after-market driving lights are
>>> also illegal then?
>>
>> I don't know how you could get that from what I said. Let me try again:
>>
>> Fitting LED globes to a headlight assembly that was designed for
>> Halogen globes is illegal, as the reflectors used with Halogen globes
>> do not permit the LED's to comply with the requirements. As I said in
>> another post, it's a case of projection versus reflection. If you want
>> to run LED headlamps and have your car meet the legal requirements,
>> then you need to use a light assembly that was specifically designed
>> for them.
>>
>> No one was talking about after-market driving lights, and their
>> legality is completely irrelevant to anything being discussed here.
>>

> **Of course it's relevant. When using high beam, it would seem that you
> can use 1,000 Watts of lighting with no penalty. I have never seen a car
> knocked back for rego, or issued a defect notice for using whatever
> lighting they wish. With ONE exception: Lighting of any kind cannot be
> placed high up on the vehicle (like those morons who have lights high up
> over the roof-line) Reflectors are irrelevant when talking about high
> beam. Low beam lighting MUST employ a specific lighting pattern, that
> ensures oncoming traffic is not dazzled. Which is why LED headlights
> (AFAIK) must now employ auto-levelling.
>
> And yes, I checked with my mechanic, who does rego checks on my cars.
> LED high beam is NOT illegal to use. LED low beam (without auto
> levelling and, as you say, with improper reflectors) may well be.

If you put LED globes in any halogen headlight your vehicle is no longer
ADR compliant - period.

Perhaps NoddyLiar could post the link to whatever page his info from so
you can read it yourself instead of his paraphrasing, for clarity.

--
keith on the 7 Oct 2021 wrote;
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if

Re: Bright headlights.

<t1qv91$vhd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13298&group=aus.cars#13298

From: notgo...@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 08:24:59 +0800
 by: Clocky - Mon, 28 Mar 2022 00:24 UTC

On 27/03/2022 2:36 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 27/03/2022 5:05 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> I don't know how you could get that from what I said. Let me try again:
>>>
>>> Fitting LED globes to a headlight assembly that was designed for
>>> Halogen globes is illegal, as the reflectors used with Halogen globes
>>> do not permit the LED's to comply with the requirements. As I said in
>>> another post, it's a case of projection versus reflection. If you
>>> want to run LED headlamps and have your car meet the legal
>>> requirements, then you need to use a light assembly that was
>>> specifically designed for them.
>>>
>>> No one was talking about after-market driving lights, and their
>>> legality is completely irrelevant to anything being discussed here.
>>>

>> **Of course it's relevant. When using high beam, it would seem that
>> you can use 1,000 Watts of lighting with no penalty.
>
> Perhaps, but that has nothing to do with the legality of LED replacement
> globes in vehicles originally fitted with Halogen lights.
>
>> I have never seen a car knocked back for rego, or issued a defect
>> notice for using whatever lighting they wish.
>
> Just out of curiosity, exactly how many times have you ever been in a
> position to know one way or the other? :)
>
>> With ONE exception: Lighting of any kind cannot be placed high up on
>> the vehicle (like those morons who have lights high up over the
>> roof-line)
>
> Red the state regulations. The rules vary around the country.
>
>> Reflectors are irrelevant when talking about high beam. Low beam
>> lighting MUST employ a specific lighting pattern, that ensures
>> oncoming traffic is not dazzled. Which is why LED headlights (AFAIK)
>> must now employ auto-levelling.
>
> Read the cite DBR posted earlier, which if you didn't see it can be
> found here:
>
>> https://www.narva.com.au/blogs/blogs/2020/Dec/21/aftermarket-led-globes-adr-approval
>>

> --
>
>> And yes, I checked with my mechanic, who does rego checks on my cars.
>> LED high beam is NOT illegal to use. LED low beam (without auto
>> levelling and, as you say, with improper reflectors) may well be.
>
> Your mechanic may want to brush up on the legislation. As a general rule
> you cannot swap *any* original equipment halogen globe with an LED
> unless you're also changing the reflector.

Modifying an ADR compliant headlight may well result in a headlight
assembly that is no longer so too.