aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / AskEU: Android File Recovery

SubjectAuthor
* AskEU: Android File RecoveryJenny M Benson
+- Re: AskEU: Android File RecoveryMike McMillan
`* Re: AskEU: Android File RecoveryJoe Kerr
 +- Re: AskEU: Android File RecoveryChris
 `* Re: AskEU: Android File RecoveryJenny M Benson
  `* Re: AskEU: Android File RecoveryPenny
   `* Re: AskEU: Android File RecoveryJenny M Benson
    +- Re: AskEU: Android File RecoveryPenny
    `* Re: AskEU: Android File RecoveryJoe Kerr
     +* Re: AskEU: Android File RecoveryJenny M Benson
     |`- Re: AskEU: Android File RecoveryJoe Kerr
     `- Re: AskEU: Android File RecoveryJoe Kerr

1
AskEU: Android File Recovery

<k0qmpkFb9ggU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13337&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13337

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: AskEU: Android File Recovery
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 10:25:56 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Sun, 25 Dec 2022 10:25 UTC

If some IDIOT empties the Recycle Bin on an Android tablet, then
realises their mistake, is there any way to retrieve the files?

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: AskEU: Android File Recovery

<to99ja$2lb2l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13338&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13338

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: AskEU: Android File Recovery
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 10:44:58 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ildgHtEoQNzniTQmHu1oBhc+KTU=
 by: Mike McMillan - Sun, 25 Dec 2022 10:44 UTC

Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> If some IDIOT empties the Recycle Bin on an Android tablet, then
> realises their mistake, is there any way to retrieve the files?

Ph Dear! Whoops, Have you thought of having a word with Anne (of) Cleeves?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: AskEU: Android File Recovery

<to9crp$hiq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13340&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13340

From: joe_k...@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 11:40:41 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Sun, 25 Dec 2022 11:40 UTC

On 25/12/2022 10:25, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> If some IDIOT empties the Recycle Bin on an Android tablet, then
> realises their mistake, is there any way to retrieve the files?

I don't actually know but there are several apps in the Play Store that
claim to restore or undelete files. One of those may help. Installing an
app may well trample all over the files you want to recover.

If the files were on a memory card rather than internal memory then you
could try popping the card into a (Windows) PC and using something like
Piriform's Recuva to retrieve them. It might also work if you plug the
tablet into the PC and treat it as an external drive (or two).

I'd try using Recuva first to restore the files to a new folder on a the PC.

May your day improve.

--
Ric

Re: AskEU: Android File Recovery

<to9s80$2poo2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13341&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13341

From: chris.mc...@ntlworld.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2022 16:03:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:3VabvaQknnNurnw0QAwUmQkB/C8=
 by: Chris - Sun, 25 Dec 2022 16:03 UTC

Joe Kerr <joe_kerr@cheerful.com> wrote:
> On 25/12/2022 10:25, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> If some IDIOT empties the Recycle Bin on an Android tablet, then
>> realises their mistake, is there any way to retrieve the files?
>>
> I don't actually know but there are several apps in the Play Store that
> claim to restore or undelete files. One of those may help. Installing an
> app may well trample all over the files you want to recover.
>
> If the files were on a memory card rather than internal memory then you
> could try popping the card into a (Windows) PC and using something like
> Piriform's Recuva to retrieve them. It might also work if you plug the
> tablet into the PC and treat it as an external drive (or two).
>
> I'd try using Recuva first to restore the files to a new folder on a the PC.
>
> May your day improve.

Eeeeekkkkk,

!

A formal complaint at the very least to the Council!

Mrs McT

Re: AskEU: Android File Recovery

<k1037rF5tocU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13358&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13358

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 11:28:58 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 11:28 UTC

On 25/12/2022 11:40, Joe Kerr wrote:
>> If some IDIOT empties the Recycle Bin on an Android tablet, then
>> realises their mistake, is there any way to retrieve the files?
>>
> I don't actually know but there are several apps in the Play Store that
> claim to restore or undelete files. One of those may help. Installing an
> app may well trample all over the files you want to recover.

Thanks, Ric. I did look at all the offerings in the Play Store but
every one seemed to have several people saying it was carp and didn't
work. I did download one but it just did what a lot of people said all
of them did - just found all the stuff which hadn't been deleted at all.

> If the files were on a memory card rather than internal memory

No:-(

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: AskEU: Android File Recovery

<er0nqhlad6vkdj01im2jsclmntq3dhi85t@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13362&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13362

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2022 23:50:26 +0000
 by: Penny - Tue, 27 Dec 2022 23:50 UTC

On Tue, 27 Dec 2022 11:28:58 +0000, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk>
a gribouillé dans la poussière...

>On 25/12/2022 11:40, Joe Kerr wrote:
>>> If some IDIOT empties the Recycle Bin on an Android tablet, then
>>> realises their mistake, is there any way to retrieve the files?
>>>
>> I don't actually know but there are several apps in the Play Store that
>> claim to restore or undelete files. One of those may help. Installing an
>> app may well trample all over the files you want to recover.
>
>Thanks, Ric. I did look at all the offerings in the Play Store but
>every one seemed to have several people saying it was carp and didn't
>work. I did download one but it just did what a lot of people said all
>of them did - just found all the stuff which hadn't been deleted at all.
>>
>> If the files were on a memory card rather than internal memory
>
>No:-(

If you can connect the tablet to a laptop or PC, I have a recovery program
which I have used successfully to find and recover deleted stuff. Not
entirely sure it will find non-deleted files though.
Smashing your tablet is unlikely to delete files, but may render them
unaccessible. You need to try, in order to find out - if the tablet can't
be turned on, I'm not sure if that is possible, but I'd still give it a go.

What is the tablet - make, model, OS?
The fact it is Android shouldn't be a problem for files.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: AskEU: Android File Recovery

<k11gcaFcgtbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13363&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13363

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 00:19:20 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 00:19 UTC

On 27/12/2022 23:50, Penny wrote:
> If you can connect the tablet to a laptop or PC, I have a recovery program
> which I have used successfully to find and recover deleted stuff. Not
> entirely sure it will find non-deleted files though.
> Smashing your tablet is unlikely to delete files, but may render them
> unaccessible. You need to try, in order to find out - if the tablet can't
> be turned on, I'm not sure if that is possible, but I'd still give it a go.
>
> What is the tablet - make, model, OS?
> The fact it is Android shouldn't be a problem for files.

It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2018), Android version 10. Nothing wrong
with the tablet - just the stupidly careless user who was trying to free
up space and didn't look closely enough at what I was deleting.

I can connect it to the PC but have been wary of getting any of the
programs that want me to do that for fear of installing a nasty and
losing stuff far more important than a few photos and videos. If an
Umrat has used one and can vouch for its safety that's OK. (I got the
impression that Recuva (as mentioned by Ric) only deals with Windows.)
--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: AskEU: Android File Recovery

<fl2oqhp7b2b7lnpmsq4cn0cium61nm4av3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13372&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13372

From: spa...@labyrinth.freeuk.com (Penny)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 09:27:27 +0000
 by: Penny - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 09:27 UTC

On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 00:19:20 +0000, Jenny M Benson <NemoNews@hotmail.co.uk>
a gribouillé dans la poussière...

>On 27/12/2022 23:50, Penny wrote:
>> If you can connect the tablet to a laptop or PC, I have a recovery program
>> which I have used successfully to find and recover deleted stuff. Not
>> entirely sure it will find non-deleted files though.
>> Smashing your tablet is unlikely to delete files, but may render them
>> unaccessible. You need to try, in order to find out - if the tablet can't
>> be turned on, I'm not sure if that is possible, but I'd still give it a go.
>>
>> What is the tablet - make, model, OS?
>> The fact it is Android shouldn't be a problem for files.
>

>It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2018), Android version 10. Nothing wrong
>with the tablet - just the stupidly careless user who was trying to free
>up space and didn't look closely enough at what I was deleting.
>
>I can connect it to the PC but have been wary of getting any of the
>programs that want me to do that for fear of installing a nasty and
>losing stuff far more important than a few photos and videos. If an
>Umrat has used one and can vouch for its safety that's OK. (I got the
>impression that Recuva (as mentioned by Ric) only deals with Windows.)

Ah, from your first post I assumed you had dropped something on it, not
binned files you want... Dennis Norden used to call it literalism.

Do you use Google photos on the tablet? If so, you may find the pics/videos
are stored in the cloud.
--
Penny
Annoyed by The Archers since 1959

Re: AskEU: Android File Recovery

<tohflm$1n3u$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13378&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13378

From: joe_k...@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 13:17:42 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 13:17 UTC

On 28/12/2022 00:19, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 27/12/2022 23:50, Penny wrote:
>> If you can connect the tablet to a laptop or PC, I have a recovery
>> program
>> which I have used successfully to find and recover deleted stuff. Not
>> entirely sure it will find non-deleted files though.
>> Smashing your tablet is unlikely to delete files, but may render them
>> unaccessible. You need to try, in order to find out - if the tablet can't
>> be turned on, I'm not sure if that is possible, but I'd still give it
>> a go.
>>
>> What is the tablet - make, model, OS?
>> The fact it is Android shouldn't be a problem for files.
>

> It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2018), Android version 10.  Nothing wrong
> with the tablet - just the stupidly careless user who was trying to free
> up space and didn't look closely enough at what I was deleting.
>
> I can connect it to the PC but have been wary of getting any of the
> programs that want me to do that for fear of installing a nasty and
> losing stuff far more important than a few photos and videos.  If an
> Umrat has used one and can vouch for its safety that's OK.  (I got the
> impression that Recuva (as mentioned by Ric) only deals with Windows.)

Recuva comes from a respected company that produces a number of
utilities. It does only run on Windows but can access USB drives.

I've just given it a try on Win 7, where I installed the free version a
couple of weeks ago, and a Samsung Android phone. Working through the
Recuva menu I got to a point where it asked where to scan. I tried to
tell it to look on the phone but it did not offer that even though Win
explorer could access the phone. I opted for scan recycle bin. It said
it was scanning 5 drives (which probably included the phone) but I can't
be sure which ones.

In the end it found nothing anywhere. I would have expected something on
the phone.

My experience is that different computers, operating systems, etc, treat
USB devices in different ways. It may work on a different setup. It
could be worth a try, unless anybody else can offer a better recommendation.

www.ccleaner.com/recuva/download

--
Ric

Re: AskEU: Android File Recovery

<k12vmcFh4jtU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13381&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13381

From: NemoN...@hotmail.co.uk (Jenny M Benson)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 13:46:52 +0000
 by: Jenny M Benson - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 13:46 UTC

On 28/12/2022 13:17, Joe Kerr wrote:
> Recuva comes from a respected company that produces a number of
> utilities. It does only run on Windows but can access USB drives.
>
> I've just given it a try on Win 7, where I installed the free version a
> couple of weeks ago, and a Samsung Android phone. Working through the
> Recuva menu I got to a point where it asked where to scan. I tried to
> tell it to look on the phone but it did not offer that even though Win
> explorer could access the phone. I opted for scan recycle bin. It said
> it was scanning 5 drives (which probably included the phone) but I can't
> be sure which ones.
>
> In the end it found nothing anywhere. I would have expected something on
> the phone.
>
> My experience is that different computers, operating systems, etc, treat
> USB devices in different ways. It may work on a different setup. It
> could be worth a try, unless anybody else can offer a better
> recommendation.
>
> www.ccleaner.com/recuva/download

Thank you again. I just tried Recuva, but without success. I told it
to scan all drives and it said there were 5, which is odd because I know
about C, F, DVD and Tablet but don't know what the 5th could be.
Anyway, it did the scan and found loads (not from the tablet) but said
it couldn't scan 2 drives because it didn't recognize them.

--
Jenny M Benson
Wrexham, UK

Re: AskEU: Android File Recovery

<tohi4l$qf4$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13382&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13382

From: joe_k...@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 13:59:49 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 13:59 UTC

On 28/12/2022 13:17, Joe Kerr wrote:
> On 28/12/2022 00:19, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>> On 27/12/2022 23:50, Penny wrote:
>>> If you can connect the tablet to a laptop or PC, I have a recovery
>>> program
>>> which I have used successfully to find and recover deleted stuff. Not
>>> entirely sure it will find non-deleted files though.
>>> Smashing your tablet is unlikely to delete files, but may render them
>>> unaccessible. You need to try, in order to find out - if the tablet
>>> can't
>>> be turned on, I'm not sure if that is possible, but I'd still give it
>>> a go.
>>>
>>> What is the tablet - make, model, OS?
>>> The fact it is Android shouldn't be a problem for files.
>>

>> It's a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2018), Android version 10.  Nothing wrong
>> with the tablet - just the stupidly careless user who was trying to
>> free up space and didn't look closely enough at what I was deleting.
>>
>> I can connect it to the PC but have been wary of getting any of the
>> programs that want me to do that for fear of installing a nasty and
>> losing stuff far more important than a few photos and videos.  If an
>> Umrat has used one and can vouch for its safety that's OK.  (I got the
>> impression that Recuva (as mentioned by Ric) only deals with Windows.)
>
> Recuva comes from a respected company that produces a number of
> utilities. It does only run on Windows but can access USB drives.
>
> I've just given it a try on Win 7, where I installed the free version a
> couple of weeks ago, and a Samsung Android phone. Working through the
> Recuva menu I got to a point where it asked where to scan. I tried to
> tell it to look on the phone but it did not offer that even though Win
> explorer could access the phone. I opted for scan recycle bin. It said
> it was scanning 5 drives (which probably included the phone) but I can't
> be sure which ones.

I meant to include that thee is an option to scan everything it can find.

> In the end it found nothing anywhere. I would have expected something on
> the phone.
>
> My experience is that different computers, operating systems, etc, treat
> USB devices in different ways. It may work on a different setup. It
> could be worth a try, unless anybody else can offer a better
> recommendation.
>
> www.ccleaner.com/recuva/download

--
Ric

Re: AskEU: Android File Recovery

<tohsdb$1q9k$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13383&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13383

From: joe_k...@cheerful.com (Joe Kerr)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 16:55:07 +0000
 by: Joe Kerr - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 16:55 UTC

On 28/12/2022 13:46, Jenny M Benson wrote:
> On 28/12/2022 13:17, Joe Kerr wrote:
>> Recuva comes from a respected company that produces a number of
>> utilities. It does only run on Windows but can access USB drives.
>>
>> I've just given it a try on Win 7, where I installed the free version
>> a couple of weeks ago, and a Samsung Android phone. Working through
>> the Recuva menu I got to a point where it asked where to scan. I tried
>> to tell it to look on the phone but it did not offer that even though
>> Win explorer could access the phone. I opted for scan recycle bin. It
>> said it was scanning 5 drives (which probably included the phone) but
>> I can't be sure which ones.
>>
>> In the end it found nothing anywhere. I would have expected something
>> on the phone.
>>
>> My experience is that different computers, operating systems, etc,
>> treat USB devices in different ways. It may work on a different setup.
>> It could be worth a try, unless anybody else can offer a better
>> recommendation.
>>
>> www.ccleaner.com/recuva/download
>
> Thank you again.  I just tried Recuva, but without success.  I told it
> to scan all drives and it said there were 5, which is odd because I know
> about C, F, DVD and Tablet but don't know what the 5th could be. Anyway,
> it did the scan and found loads (not from the tablet) but said it
> couldn't scan 2 drives because it didn't recognize them.

I'm sorry to hear that that didn't work. It looks like umra has failed you.

I didn't get (notice?) any messages about unrecognised drives. It's
interesting that it also scanned 5 drives for you. I wonder whether it
always says that. When I tried there were C, D and Windows recovery, an
empty DVD, a card slot that it keeps getting upset about being empty, an
external drive with Android and Linux partitions that Windows can't read
and the phone with internal memory and a card. I wasn't sure which ones
it wasn't scanning.

I don't think I can help you any further. Google throws up
www.lifewire.com/free-data-recovery-software-tools-2622893 which I think
is a reasonably reliable source. Some of their recommendations claim to
recover various external devices. Suggesting you have a play with a
Knoppix live image to see whether it can help might be a step too far
out of your comfort zone, and still not help.
www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

--
Ric