From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: M.2 NVME SSD - read about it then <boom> there it is
Date: 27 Aug 2021 17:56:38 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 17:56 UTC

https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/27/western_digital_components/

Tells the tale of WD Blue SN550 having downgraded components and poorer
performance without any warning to purchasers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Blue-SN550-High-Performance-Pcie/dp/B07YFFX5MD/

Amazon's choice.

Now pondering if this is still OK for my older specification MoBo (see
sig).

Cheers

Dave R

Re: M.2 NVME SSD - read about it then <boom> there it is

<sgbada$gfg$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1326&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1326

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.com (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: M.2 NVME SSD - read about it then <boom> there it is
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 19:20:27 +0100
 by: GB - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 18:20 UTC

On 27/08/2021 18:56, David wrote:
> https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/27/western_digital_components/
>
> Tells the tale of WD Blue SN550 having downgraded components and poorer
> performance without any warning to purchasers.
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Blue-SN550-High-Performance-Pcie/dp/B07YFFX5MD/
>
> Amazon's choice.
>
> Now pondering if this is still OK for my older specification MoBo (see
> sig).

Are you worried about real world performance, or benchmarks? :)

> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Re: M.2 NVME SSD - read about it then <boom> there it is

<iot0g2F5sdmU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1327&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1327

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 21:33:06 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 20:33 UTC

David wrote:

> Tells the tale of WD Blue SN550 having downgraded components and poorer
> performance without any warning to purchasers.

Great, I've just fitted that exact model as a replacement for a dead
128GB Samsung in a Surface Pro4 (bugger of a job) still only £37 from
eBuyer.

Re: M.2 NVME SSD - read about it then <boom> there it is

<xn0n256xagfujf6005@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1328&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1328

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 27 Aug 2021 21:02:28 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 21:02 UTC

On 27/08/2021 in message <iosnalF6g0mU2@mid.individual.net> David wrote:

>https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/27/western_digital_components/
>
>Tells the tale of WD Blue SN550 having downgraded components and poorer
>performance without any warning to purchasers.
>
>https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Blue-SN550-High-Performance-Pcie/dp/B07YFFX5MD/
>
>Amazon's choice.
>
>Now pondering if this is still OK for my older specification MoBo (see
>sig).

I bought one a couple of weeks back, paid £175 for it and it benchmarked
slower on my Xeon powered HP Z230 than an SSD. WD support were hopeless
and suggested un-installing the drivers to force an update. I put it in my
Asus Z170-K and it benchmarks around 2033 MB/s read against 2608 MB/s for
a Samsung NVMe. Not sure there is any practical difference though.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Every day is a good day for chicken, unless you're a chicken.

Re: M.2 NVME SSD - read about it then <boom> there it is

<iout9uF6g0mU4@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1333&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1333

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 28 Aug 2021 13:50:54 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 13:50 UTC

On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 17:56:38 +0000, David wrote:

> https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/27/western_digital_components/
>
> Tells the tale of WD Blue SN550 having downgraded components and poorer
> performance without any warning to purchasers.
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Blue-SN550-High-Performance-Pcie/dp/
B07YFFX5MD/

> Amazon's choice.
>
> Now pondering if this is still OK for my older specification MoBo (see
> sig).

Having read the MoBo spec it claims up to 8Gb/sec.
"PCIe Gen2 x4 22110 M.2 Connector with up to 20Gb/s Data Transfer (PCIe
NVMe & SATA SSD support)"
I assume that this equates to 1 GB/sec (ignoring any protocol overheads -
I used to size data connections as 10 bit to allow for "stuff").
So a read speed of 2400 MB (2.4 GB) a second from the SSD looks not to be
a limit.

I am however now confused, because it says

"Data Transfer Rate 8 Gb per second"
(Or 1 GB/s)

"Read Speed 2400 MB per second"
(Or 2.4 GB/sec)

So am I correct in assuming that the write speed is 1GB/sec and read speed
is 2.4GB/sec?

They are all bastards for using mixed units, of course.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: M.2 NVME SSD - read about it then <boom> there it is

<iouu1uF6g0mU5@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1334&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1334

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 28 Aug 2021 14:03:42 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 14:03 UTC

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 13:50:54 +0000, David wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2021 17:56:38 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/27/western_digital_components/
>>
>> Tells the tale of WD Blue SN550 having downgraded components and poorer
>> performance without any warning to purchasers.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD-Blue-SN550-High-Performance-Pcie/dp/
> B07YFFX5MD/
>>
>> Amazon's choice.
>>
>> Now pondering if this is still OK for my older specification MoBo (see
>> sig).
>
> Having read the MoBo spec it claims up to 8Gb/sec.
> "PCIe Gen2 x4 22110 M.2 Connector with up to 20Gb/s Data Transfer (PCIe
> NVMe & SATA SSD support)"
> I assume that this equates to 1 GB/sec (ignoring any protocol overheads
> - I used to size data connections as 10 bit to allow for "stuff").
> So a read speed of 2400 MB (2.4 GB) a second from the SSD looks not to
> be a limit.
>
> I am however now confused, because it says
>
> "Data Transfer Rate 8 Gb per second"
> (Or 1 GB/s)
>
> "Read Speed 2400 MB per second"
> (Or 2.4 GB/sec)
>
> So am I correct in assuming that the write speed is 1GB/sec and read
> speed is 2.4GB/sec?
>
> They are all bastards for using mixed units, of course.

Gah!
Having a bad day.
20 Gb/sec is between 2 GB/s and 2.5 GB/s.
So the read speed matches the MoBo but the write speed does not.
I am assuming that read speed is more important, and usually faster than
write speed anyway.

Perhaps defer any but decision until I can read my posts back without
getting confused. :-(

Cheers

Dave R

Re: M.2 NVME SSD - read about it then <boom> there it is

<xn0n26c5lhimwya007@news.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1335&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1335

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 28 Aug 2021 15:08:17 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 15:08 UTC

On 28/08/2021 in message <iouu1uF6g0mU5@mid.individual.net> David wrote:

>Perhaps defer any but decision until I can read my posts back without
>getting confused. :-(

For info I've posted benchmarks on DropBox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9m0gfb2dk3wq96q/AAAq4ZBu54g2gq8BVoWTg7Qma?dl=0

NVMe-BM.png has my Samsung C drive side by side with the WD, there is
quite a difference but then the prices are quite different too!

If anybody wants to look at HP-Screen.jpg and tell me what is causing the
stripes on my monitor I'd be delighted :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Those are my principles – and if you don’t like them, well, I have