Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Secure Border Play Want Bin (PWBE 27 Feb 2023)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 00:30:59 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 00:30 UTC

Two Irelands. Two Koreas. Two Chinas. Jerusalem and Al-Quds. I'm
starting to think that cutting everything in half isn't a good way to
manage conflict in the world.

Play:
--=--

Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PC) - Rolling the main story along. I like how
pursuing that investigation drops you into the nice part of town where,
if you're not careful, you'll be slightly underlevelled for the enemies
that are running around. I also got to witness the vocational training
school mission start up with the extra bit of footage, where Kasuga
peeks through the fourth wall to acknowledge that the English being
spoken by the foreign visitor is perfectly comprehensible to the player
who is hearing all the other dialogue in English. That looks out of the
screen is a lot funnier than it has any right to be.

Like a Dragon: Ishin (PS5) - Finally got a few hours to myself to start
this properly, and the tutorial bits are surprisingly short. Normally
Yakuza games drown you in backstory and context, but this game is
cleverly constructed in a way where you can have as much or as little of
that as you can stand. The pause menu during the extended dialogue
scenes give you definitions of Japanese terms that just have no proper
analogue in English, so you can get the full picture if you don't
already know or if you're not picking it up from context. There's almost
too little fat on the bones of this game, in that it cuts right to the
chase a lot of ways in this first chapter.

Grand Theft Auto III (PC) - With some proper mods in place this is
perfectly playable. I'm glad I have it in a form that isn't dependent on
some silly external launcher, but I can't help thinking that I'm better
served just running the PS2 disc.

Want:
--=--

GTA IV (PC) - And yet. While I played the 360 version to death, and I've
got it available on many other platforms besides now, I can't help
wanting it in a more portable format. Rockstar's plans for a remaster
were properly derailed by how badly they screwed up the GTA III
re-release, so I'm not counting on them getting anything new to market
anytime soon. I looked into getting the disc version of the PC game and
it turns out that it's broken in a number of critical ways, not least of
which is that SecureROM and Games for Windows just makes the game unable
to be installed in any usable way. So here I am waiting for a Steam
sale, or more likely paying the full $20 price impatiently just before
the next sale.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $323

The next two Evercade Carts (Evercade) - $40

Total to date - $363

-KKC, who is in danger of staying up too late playing too much Ishin.

Re: Secure Border Play Want Bin (PWBE 27 Feb 2023)

<ix5LL.3495182$SIb3.197269@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1338&group=uk.games.video.misc#1338

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Secure Border Play Want Bin (PWBE 27 Feb 2023)
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 17:13:50 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 17:13 UTC

> Play:

Minecraft (PS4) - more of this, including a return to the woodland
mansion I apparently failed to mention visiting last time, after
trading for a map. The key feature of these seems to be beating an
Evoker (as I now have) to get the Totem of Undying, which seems to
save you from death if you hold it e.g. in the shield hand. Not having
liked using a shield much in the first place, I should probably be
using this, but only having the one leaves it feeling too precious to
use. :-) And as if to point out the problem with that, before long I
fell dozens of blocks down to my death in the Nether, managing to lose
a full set of diamond armour in the process. So that was fun.

Having looked up the nearest location online (because the
trade-for-ingame-map approach is quite a pain TBH and I'm not even
sure it's possible in this case), I tried out an ancient city, which
overall I wasn't keen on. The neat underground structure is for me
completely ruined by a pursuit mechanic (where you sneak around to
avoid making sound which effectively triggers the pursuer). It's like
they mashed together two fairly decent ideas which would probably
appeal to different players to make a single bad one which I'd imagine
few players like much. Even something as basic as just trying to light
the place up a bit was made excessively frustrating and tedious. So I
just wrote it off as far too much of a PITA, after looting the two
chests right next to where I'd entered.

I also did a jungle temple, which was very different - small, simple,
and made nice (if a bit obvious) use of a redstone-based "circuit" to
implement a few traps. The loot-quality to effort ratio was way
higher, that's for sure.

Similarly I tackled a desert temple, which was interesting because
despite already having been spoiled and knowing where the trap was, I
somehow managed to forget this and lost everything I was carrying
again (and all the loot), including... another set of diamond armour.
The next one I did a lot more carefully, wearing iron armour. :-)

During the above and some exploring I did a couple of things I hadn't
on the Vita - riding horses (which only spawn in biomes I didn't have
access to in my Vita game), and flying about to some degree using an
endgame item (which degrades just like weapons and armour, and
annoyingly has to be worn instead of the strongest part of your normal
armour while being equivalent to wearing nothing). Horses work well
enough, though I'd say it only really feels workable to just ride a
horse you happen to see in the wild for a while, rather than having a
specific horse you always ride. Useful enough to be worth having a
saddle handy, I suppose. As for the flying... it's nice in theory, at
least if you make fireworks to boost up during your glides, but the
map loading/generation simply can't keep up so it's not long before
you can't see where you're going. And having the flying item degrade
feels too no-fun-allowed, even if there are ways to counteract this to
some extent like a mending enchantment. Then there's the issue of the
fireworks needing gunpowder to make, which seems to mostly only be
available from a couple of monsters in fairly grindy fashion. So I
don't think the flying will be happening much.

One more thing the Vita lacked is the crossbow, which is very useful
and I wish I'd been using it the whole time on the PS4. It does grate
a bit that the infinity enchantment to avoid arrow consumption
inexplicably only works on normal bows, but this is still bearable if
you have the right fletcher villager's trades available (two of the
possible ones are essentially equivalent to chopping down a tree to
get 16-32 arrows).

Anyway, I think I've done most of what I was planning to in this
version, so I imagine it'll be more sandboxy nonsense and less
dragon-beating or trap-avoiding in future. Which with any luck should
mean a lot less replacement of diamond armour sets. :-)

> Want:

To try Minecraft's pig-based transportation as mentioned below. I
doubt it compares favourably with riding horses, but it might be
useful in my Vita game as at least pigs spawn there.

> Bin:

Minecraft saddles being uncraftable items you have to find as loot,
which seems odd when it lets you ride pigs by using a carrot on a
stick. That seems to perform roughly the same function as the saddle
does for horses, and is craftable.

-Rus.

Re: Secure Border Play Want Bin (PWBE 27 Feb 2023)

<k647utFg73eU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1339&group=uk.games.video.misc#1339

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 27 Feb 2023 17:35:25 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 27 Feb 2023 17:35 UTC

On 27 Feb 2023 at 00:30:59 GMT, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
<kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> Two Irelands. Two Koreas. Two Chinas. Jerusalem and Al-Quds. I'm
> starting to think that cutting everything in half isn't a good way to
> manage conflict in the world.

UK managed to take a dumb 10% off Europe, preumably raising the average
European IQ.

> Play:
> --=--

Persona 3 Portable (Switch) - Chugging along. Got one relationship to
max and several over halfway; halfway through Block 3 at the moment and
just about to hit a boss battle. Wondering if I should start to look up
persona build trees or not. The major thing I've noticed is that the
personas I can create tend to be exactly one level higher than I'm
allowed to make at the moment, which is always annoying.
It's still keeping me entertained, but not strongly. I'm going to see it
out; going by the progress bars on people and levels I'm about a third
of the way now. It's very easy gaming. It does not have enough tunes,
I'm looking forward to getting to P5r.

Destiny 2: Beyond Light (PS5) (PMG) - Zo and Hakk had started a Legend
run, so we had a go. Either I'm awful, which I am not ruling out, or the
scaling is very harsh - we did not get near completing what the other
two had done in their prior session. Once Zo and I had dropped out, Hakk
nailed the "one shot killer" boss and completed the thing within 20
minutes.

Amiga hardware: The PiStorm32lite now exists, I've had one in my Amiga
1200 for a month (from Claude the guy who created these) and made ten of
my own to pass out to friends. Much travails on that, the manufacturer
JLCPCB cocked up the soldering and left the GPIO sockets unusable so I
had to take those off and replace them with fresh (40 pads each), then
add Amiga connectors (150 pins each) then troubleshoot three of them
into working. So, lots of work. Just about to get them all posted out
tomorrow, yay! I have ended up with some neat tooling though, star of
which is the HORRIBLY NOISY cavitation PCB cleaner.

> Want:
> --=--

Tears of the Kingdom. Preordered.

> Bin:
> -==-
>
> Nothing game-related

Yerp.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
'It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? `I protect the
lives and property of my citizens; you keep the public

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Secure Border Play Want Bin (PWBE 27 Feb 2023)