From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Drunk in charge of a bicycle
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2022 13:20:36 +1200
 by: Peter Keller - Wed, 31 Aug 2022 01:20 UTC

Opitý cyklista spadol pred policajné auto, v dychu mal 3,21 promile alkoholu
Viac ako tri promile alkoholu mal v dychu cyklista v obci Horné Srnie v
Trenčianskom okrese. Po zastavení policajnou hliadkou spadol policajtom
pred vozidlo. Informovala o tom trenčianska polícia na sociálnej sieti.

„Policajti oddelenia cestného dozoru a špeciálnych kontrol Krajského
dopravného inšpektorátu z Trenčína v obci Horné Srnie spozorovali
cyklistu, ktorý jazdil v ich smere jazdy a ktorý podľa štýlu jazdy javil
známky požitia alkoholu. Preto sa ho predpísaným spôsobom rozhodli
zastaviť a skontrolovať. To ani nestihli spraviť, keď gravitácia bola
silnejšia a cyklista im spadol pred vozidlo,“ informuje polícia.

Policajti vyzvali cyklistu na predloženie dokladov a vykonanie dychovej
skúšky. Doklady pri sebe nemal. Pri dychovej skúške mu namerali v 3,21
promile alkoholu. V správnom konaní na dopravnom inšpektoráte mu hrozí
pokuta až do 800 eur.

Rough Translation:

A cyclist in the village of Horné Srnie in the Trenčín district had more
than three millilitres of alcohol in his breath. After being stopped by
a police patrol, he fell in front of the vehicle. The Trenčín police
informed about it on the social network.

"Police officers of the Department of Road Surveillance and Special
Controls of the Regional Traffic Inspectorate from Trenčín in the
village of Horné Srnie spotted a cyclist who was riding in their
direction of travel and who, judging by the style of driving, showed
signs of alcohol consumption. They therefore decided to stop and check
him in the prescribed manner. They did not even have time to do so when
gravity was stronger and the cyclist fell in front of their vehicle,"
the police report.

The cops asked the cyclist to produce his documents and take a breath
test. He did not have the documents with him. In the breath test, he was
measured at 3.21 per millilitres of alcohol. In administrative
proceedings at the traffic inspectorate he faces a fine of up to 800 euros.

https://spravy.pravda.sk/domace/clanok/638772-opity-cyklista-spadol-pred-policajne-auto-v-dychu-mal-3-21-promile-alkoholu/

Re: Drunk in charge of a bicycle

<20220906203412.796da5f1@Mars>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13860&group=uk.rec.cycling#13860

From: nos...@ntlworld.com (Rob Morley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Drunk in charge of a bicycle
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 20:34:12 +0100
H2J3@n:NH)h+HQQv-jP3EYU|.*HZ6q6nwd5N7uOFIr+@
 by: Rob Morley - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 19:34 UTC

On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 13:20:36 +1200
Peter Keller <muzhmuzh@centrum.sk> wrote:

> The cops asked the cyclist to produce his documents and take a breath
> test. He did not have the documents with him. In the breath test, he
> was measured at 3.21 per millilitres of alcohol.

Assuming that's micrograms per millilitre, that's 321 in the ug/100ml
that we normally use for breathalysers; the UK limit is 35 (although
technically in the UK that's just for drivers of motor vehicles - if you
can ride competently then pedal away, sir).

Re: Drunk in charge of a bicycle

<82faa31b-2e2c-489d-bc53-f299e5de333en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13861&group=uk.rec.cycling#13861

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 12:42:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Tue, 6 Sep 2022 19:42 UTC

On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 8:34:15 PM UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 13:20:36 +1200
> Peter Keller <muzh...@centrum.sk> wrote:
>
> > The cops asked the cyclist to produce his documents and take a breath
> > test. He did not have the documents with him. In the breath test, he
> > was measured at 3.21 per millilitres of alcohol.
> Assuming that's micrograms per millilitre, that's 321 in the ug/100ml
> that we normally use for breathalysers; the UK limit is 35 (although
> technically in the UK that's just for drivers of motor vehicles - if you
> can ride competently then pedal away, sir).

3.21 mg per millilitres of alcohol in breath is 3210 µg and as the driving limit is 35 µg the cyclist would have been dead of alcohol poisoning.

Re: Drunk in charge of a bicycle

<jnq8bgFgpgbU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13866&group=uk.rec.cycling#13866

From: jennings...@fastmail.fm (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 01:53:04 +0100
 by: JNugent - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 00:53 UTC

On 06/09/2022 08:34 pm, Rob Morley wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 13:20:36 +1200
> Peter Keller <muzhmuzh@centrum.sk> wrote:
>
>> The cops asked the cyclist to produce his documents and take a breath
>> test. He did not have the documents with him. In the breath test, he
>> was measured at 3.21 per millilitres of alcohol.
>
> Assuming that's micrograms per millilitre, that's 321 in the ug/100ml
> that we normally use for breathalysers; the UK limit is 35 (although
> technically in the UK that's just for drivers of motor vehicles - if you
> can ride competently then pedal away, sir).

One of the noticeable differences between (most parts of) the USA and
(most parts of) Western Europe.

West of the Atlantic, the generality is that it's an offence to drive if
observably drunk (which a blood alcohol reading of nine times the
breathalyser limit would certainly suggest).

Over here, it's an offence to drive with more than a minimal blood
alcohol level even if the offender doesn't know it (and is certainly not
drunk).

Re: Drunk in charge of a bicycle

<450e6486-7323-44cb-b349-236980111fb1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13868&group=uk.rec.cycling#13868

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2022 23:32:31 -0700 (PDT)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (swldx...@gmail.com)
 by: swldx...@gmail.com - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 06:32 UTC

On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 8:42:33 PM UTC+1, swldx...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 6, 2022 at 8:34:15 PM UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:
> > On Wed, 31 Aug 2022 13:20:36 +1200
> > Peter Keller <muzh...@centrum.sk> wrote:
> >
> > > The cops asked the cyclist to produce his documents and take a breath
> > > test. He did not have the documents with him. In the breath test, he
> > > was measured at 3.21 per millilitres of alcohol.
> > Assuming that's micrograms per millilitre, that's 321 in the ug/100ml
> > that we normally use for breathalysers; the UK limit is 35 (although
> > technically in the UK that's just for drivers of motor vehicles - if you
> > can ride competently then pedal away, sir).
> 3.21 mg per millilitres of alcohol in breath is 3210 µg and as the driving limit is 35 µg the cyclist would have been dead of alcohol poisoning.

He would have been 92 times over the UK drink drive limit and therefore dead.
Someone has made a mistake somewhere.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Drunk in charge of a bicycle