"If you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything." -- A. L.

aus+uk / uk.media.radio.archers / Anyone else on Octopus Energy?

SubjectAuthor
* Anyone else on Octopus Energy?Mike McMillan
`* Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?Vicky
 `* Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?Mike McMillan
  `* Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?Vicky
   `* Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?Vicky
    `* Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?Sam Plusnet
     +* Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?Vicky
     |`* Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?Serena Blanchflower
     | +- Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?Vicky
     | `- Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?Mike McMillan
     `* Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?Nick Odell
      `* Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?Nick Odell
       `- Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?Mike McMillan

1
Anyone else on Octopus Energy?

<toht5t$vfm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13385&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13385

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 17:08:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:QNv73omP1V2dRS5FceRzNyLNilg=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 17:08 UTC

Tonight is a good night to be using electricity if you are on Octopus Agile
tariff; there are quite a few hours where they are paying consumers to use
power. I’ll be using an electric heater to reduce gas heating, similarly,
the immersion heater will save some gas; the washing machine and tumble
dryer will be in use and the Tesla Powerwall will be charged up overnight
as there isn’t a great deal of solar energy lately!

THBAPSA

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?

<sjuoqhpbcp9esr7u85f0mfgvkv1f3mro4b@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13386&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13386

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Subject: Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 17:20:10 +0000
 by: Vicky - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 17:20 UTC

On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 17:08:13 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
<toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>Tonight is a good night to be using electricity if you are on Octopus Agile
>tariff; there are quite a few hours where they are paying consumers to use
>power. I’ll be using an electric heater to reduce gas heating, similarly,
>the immersion heater will save some gas; the washing machine and tumble
>dryer will be in use and the Tesla Powerwall will be charged up overnight
>as there isn’t a great deal of solar energy lately!
>
>THBAPSA
Well, we were taken over by them from Bulb and I think that just
finalised.It is send the statement and pay day today but it didn't
come, although I sent readings on Monday. I could leave my computer
on all night? Not sure what else...

Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?

<toi0o1$1bli$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13387&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13387

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 18:09:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:BwYxTJZH5dvSL5NAqQpIzigx9so=
 by: Mike McMillan - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 18:09 UTC

Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 17:08:13 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
> <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>
>> Tonight is a good night to be using electricity if you are on Octopus Agile
>> tariff; there are quite a few hours where they are paying consumers to use
>> power. I’ll be using an electric heater to reduce gas heating, similarly,
>> the immersion heater will save some gas; the washing machine and tumble
>> dryer will be in use and the Tesla Powerwall will be charged up overnight
>> as there isn’t a great deal of solar energy lately!
>>
>> THBAPSA
> Well, we were taken over by them from Bulb and I think that just
> finalised.It is send the statement and pay day today but it didn't
> come, although I sent readings on Monday. I could leave my computer
> on all night? Not sure what else...

The ‘special rates’ apply to the Agile Tariff, is this the one you are on?

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?

<4f3pqhpk77mhvr1gjv2eansvo45utfrhh6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13388&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13388

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 18:42:06 +0000
 by: Vicky - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 18:42 UTC

On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 18:09:05 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
<toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 17:08:13 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
>> <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Tonight is a good night to be using electricity if you are on Octopus Agile
>>> tariff; there are quite a few hours where they are paying consumers to use
>>> power. I?ll be using an electric heater to reduce gas heating, similarly,
>>> the immersion heater will save some gas; the washing machine and tumble
>>> dryer will be in use and the Tesla Powerwall will be charged up overnight
>>> as there isn?t a great deal of solar energy lately!
>>>
>>> THBAPSA
>> Well, we were taken over by them from Bulb and I think that just
>> finalised.It is send the statement and pay day today but it didn't
>> come, although I sent readings on Monday. I could leave my computer
>> on all night? Not sure what else...
>>

>The ‘special rates’ apply to the Agile Tariff, is this the one you are on?

monthly variable tariff

Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?

<jo3pqhdi6nnq2fp55tj8e7hr2sonsr91t3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13389&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13389

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 18:50:01 +0000
 by: Vicky - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 18:50 UTC

On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 18:42:06 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 18:09:05 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
><toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:
>
>>Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Well, we were taken over by them from Bulb and I think that just
>>> finalised.It is send the statement and pay day today but it didn't
>>> come, although I sent readings on Monday. I could leave my computer
>>> on all night? Not sure what else...
>>>

>>The ‘special rates’ apply to the Agile Tariff, is this the one you are on?
>
>monthly variable tariff

interesting
On the website
meter-reading
Meter readings

Submit a meter reading

last-statement
Last statement

£1,046 for 28 Nov - 27 Dec
But when I click on the statement icon or arrow it goes to

Energy Bills Support Scheme

+ £67.00
£1.62

and

Payment

via Stripe

+ £136.00
- £65.

But no actual statement with details
It seems to be an estimate which is why we do not have a DD any more

Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?

<V11rL.135241$iU59.1611@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13391&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13391

Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
From: not...@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 19:45:57 +0000
 by: Sam Plusnet - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 19:45 UTC

On 28-Dec-22 18:50, Vicky wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 18:42:06 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 18:09:05 -0000 (UTC), Mike McMillan
>> <toodle.pip1@virginmedia.com> wrote:

>>> The ‘special rates’ apply to the Agile Tariff, is this the one you are on?
>>
>> monthly variable tariff
>

> interesting
> On the website
> meter-reading
> Meter readings
>
> Submit a meter reading
>
> last-statement
> Last statement
>
> £1,046 for 28 Nov - 27 Dec
> But when I click on the statement icon or arrow it goes to
>
> Energy Bills Support Scheme
>
> + £67.00
> £1.62
>
> and
>
> Payment
>
> via Stripe
>
> + £136.00
> - £65.
>
> But no actual statement with details
> It seems to be an estimate which is why we do not have a DD any more

We're 'with' Octopus and do pay via DD.

When the Energy Bills Support Scheme came in, they recommended to us a
monthly payment of (rough figures 'cos ICBA to look them up) £240 minus
the £67 Gov't payment - so £170ish net.

Later, they emailed to say they would shortly be taking payment... of
not the £170 I was expecting, but the whole £240.
I replied, pointing out that this was NOT what they said they were going
to do, and they did eventually correct it.
However, by that time they had already taken the December payment at £240.
There must be plenty of households where an unexpected loss of £67, at a
particularly expensive time of the year, might cause problems.

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?

<1oepqhdh1kijjmuou6vu079do4rf90bt2r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13394&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13394

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2022 21:57:17 +0000
 by: Vicky - Wed, 28 Dec 2022 21:57 UTC

On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 19:45:57 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 28-Dec-22 18:50, Vicky wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 18:42:06 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> monthly variable tariff
>>

>> interesting
>> On the website
>> meter-reading
>> Meter readings
>>
>> Submit a meter reading
>>
>> last-statement
>> Last statement
>>
>> £1,046 for 28 Nov - 27 Dec
>> But when I click on the statement icon or arrow it goes to
>>
>> Energy Bills Support Scheme
>>
>> + £67.00
>> £1.62
>>
>> and
>>
>> Payment
>>
>> via Stripe
>>
>> + £136.00
>> - £65.
>>
>> But no actual statement with details
>> It seems to be an estimate which is why we do not have a DD any more
>
>We're 'with' Octopus and do pay via DD.
>
>When the Energy Bills Support Scheme came in, they recommended to us a
>monthly payment of (rough figures 'cos ICBA to look them up) £240 minus
>the £67 Gov't payment - so £170ish net.
>
>Later, they emailed to say they would shortly be taking payment... of
>not the £170 I was expecting, but the whole £240.
>I replied, pointing out that this was NOT what they said they were going
>to do, and they did eventually correct it.
>However, by that time they had already taken the December payment at £240.
>There must be plenty of households where an unexpected loss of £67, at a
>particularly expensive time of the year, might cause problems.

Still no word with a statement from Bulb, or will it now come from
Octopus.But I sent the readings to bulb. Not been asked by Octopus,
who haven't communicated with me at all. Bulb just said we are with
them and need do nothing. I like to know how much we owe each month
and to pay asap.

Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?

<62opqhp2ick9nbk270tri02puf4ob75e88@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13396&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13396

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 00:47:59 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 00:47 UTC

On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 19:45:57 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:

>On 28-Dec-22 18:50, Vicky wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 18:42:06 +0000, Vicky <vicky.ayech@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> monthly variable tariff
>>

>> interesting
>> On the website
>> meter-reading
>> Meter readings
>>
>> Submit a meter reading
>>
>> last-statement
>> Last statement
>>
>> £1,046 for 28 Nov - 27 Dec
>> But when I click on the statement icon or arrow it goes to
>>
>> Energy Bills Support Scheme
>>
>> + £67.00
>> £1.62
>>
>> and
>>
>> Payment
>>
>> via Stripe
>>
>> + £136.00
>> - £65.
>>
>> But no actual statement with details
>> It seems to be an estimate which is why we do not have a DD any more
>
>We're 'with' Octopus and do pay via DD.
>
>When the Energy Bills Support Scheme came in, they recommended to us a
>monthly payment of (rough figures 'cos ICBA to look them up) £240 minus
>the £67 Gov't payment - so £170ish net.
>
>Later, they emailed to say they would shortly be taking payment... of
>not the £170 I was expecting, but the whole £240.
>I replied, pointing out that this was NOT what they said they were going
>to do, and they did eventually correct it.
>However, by that time they had already taken the December payment at £240.
>There must be plenty of households where an unexpected loss of £67, at a
>particularly expensive time of the year, might cause problems.

I am neither with Octopus nor Bulb and neither do I have a smart meter
nor the possibility of being paid for using electricity at particular
times but neither do I hand over unexpectedly large amounts of money
monthly for the energy fat cats to become even fatter. I pay monthly
only for the energy I use and if I don't submit a reading they make an
estimate.

I'm on the standard variable rate tariff which at the moment is locked
by the price cap. Unless you gain a particular advantage from selling
back your energy or being paid to use energy at particular times or
unless you are somehow locked into a spectacularly cheap historic deal
or would pay an eye-watering penalty to get out of your present
arrangement then I'd strongly recommend doing the same and only pay
for what you use.

Nick

Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?

<tojr66$91qi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13400&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13400

From: nos...@blanchflower.me.uk (Serena Blanchflower)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 10:46:30 +0000
 by: Serena Blanchflower - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 10:46 UTC

On 28/12/2022 21:57, Vicky wrote:
> Still no word with a statement from Bulb, or will it now come from
> Octopus.But I sent the readings to bulb. Not been asked by Octopus,
> who haven't communicated with me at all. Bulb just said we are with
> them and need do nothing. I like to know how much we owe each month
> and to pay asap.

It sounds as if you're in the same limbo I'm in, being transferred from
Bulb to Octopus. The most recent email I had, which announced that the
takeover had gone ahead, said that we would be notified when our data
was transferred to the Octopus systems, sometime in the next few months.
Until then, you should carry on sending any readings to Bulb and any
billing will also be done by them.

Probably the most relevant paragraph from their email was

"We'll let you know when your account is moving across to Octopus
systems, and we'll share your new account details and help you get set
up. Until then, you'll still be able to use your Bulb account and app,
just as you have up to now."

--
Best wishes, Serena
Q. How do witches tell the time?

Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?

<k60rqhpqo32e34h6ju0ds021kf5k8unret@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13403&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13403

From: vicky.ay...@gmail.com (Vicky)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 11:59:29 +0000
 by: Vicky - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 11:59 UTC

On Thu, 29 Dec 2022 10:46:30 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
<nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:

>On 28/12/2022 21:57, Vicky wrote:
>> Still no word with a statement from Bulb, or will it now come from
>> Octopus.But I sent the readings to bulb. Not been asked by Octopus,
>> who haven't communicated with me at all. Bulb just said we are with
>> them and need do nothing. I like to know how much we owe each month
>> and to pay asap.
>

>It sounds as if you're in the same limbo I'm in, being transferred from
>Bulb to Octopus. The most recent email I had, which announced that the
>takeover had gone ahead, said that we would be notified when our data
>was transferred to the Octopus systems, sometime in the next few months.
> Until then, you should carry on sending any readings to Bulb and any
>billing will also be done by them.
>
>Probably the most relevant paragraph from their email was
>
>"We'll let you know when your account is moving across to Octopus
>systems, and we'll share your new account details and help you get set
>up. Until then, you'll still be able to use your Bulb account and app,
>just as you have up to now."

Thank you, yes, I got a statement based on the readings I sent but I
had one digit wrong so sent it again with a photo and asked for a
revised statement. And they said send them readings and pay them for
now.

Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?

<tok1eh$ac4u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13404&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13404

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 12:33:21 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:09bMa1R5LhbqLE6nVQdof8Qlivk=
 by: Mike McMillan - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 12:33 UTC

Serena Blanchflower <nospam@blanchflower.me.uk> wrote:
> On 28/12/2022 21:57, Vicky wrote:
>> Still no word with a statement from Bulb, or will it now come from
>> Octopus.But I sent the readings to bulb. Not been asked by Octopus,
>> who haven't communicated with me at all. Bulb just said we are with
>> them and need do nothing. I like to know how much we owe each month
>> and to pay asap.
>

> It sounds as if you're in the same limbo I'm in, being transferred from
> Bulb to Octopus. The most recent email I had, which announced that the
> takeover had gone ahead, said that we would be notified when our data
> was transferred to the Octopus systems, sometime in the next few months.
> Until then, you should carry on sending any readings to Bulb and any
> billing will also be done by them.
>
> Probably the most relevant paragraph from their email was
>
> "We'll let you know when your account is moving across to Octopus
> systems, and we'll share your new account details and help you get set
> up. Until then, you'll still be able to use your Bulb account and app,
> just as you have up to now."

As I understand it, two ‘wise boys’ extracted a vast sum of money from the
burst Bulb - criminal I call it!

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan

Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?

<r6rrqhhne0kh3vlf11silvnh1falv24ufj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13423&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13423

From: nickodel...@yahoo.ca (Nick Odell)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2022 19:41:46 +0000
 by: Nick Odell - Thu, 29 Dec 2022 19:41 UTC

On Thu, 29 Dec 2022 00:47:59 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Dec 2022 19:45:57 +0000, Sam Plusnet <not@home.com> wrote:
>
>>On 28-Dec-22 18:50, Vicky wrote:

>>> interesting
>>> On the website
>>> meter-reading
>>> Meter readings
>>>
>>> Submit a meter reading
>>>
>>> last-statement
>>> Last statement
>>>
>>> £1,046 for 28 Nov - 27 Dec
>>> But when I click on the statement icon or arrow it goes to
>>>
>>> Energy Bills Support Scheme
>>>
>>> + £67.00
>>> £1.62
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> Payment
>>>
>>> via Stripe
>>>
>>> + £136.00
>>> - £65.
>>>
>>> But no actual statement with details
>>> It seems to be an estimate which is why we do not have a DD any more
>>
>>We're 'with' Octopus and do pay via DD.
>>
>>When the Energy Bills Support Scheme came in, they recommended to us a
>>monthly payment of (rough figures 'cos ICBA to look them up) £240 minus
>>the £67 Gov't payment - so £170ish net.
>>
>>Later, they emailed to say they would shortly be taking payment... of
>>not the £170 I was expecting, but the whole £240.
>>I replied, pointing out that this was NOT what they said they were going
>>to do, and they did eventually correct it.
>>However, by that time they had already taken the December payment at £240.
>>There must be plenty of households where an unexpected loss of £67, at a
>>particularly expensive time of the year, might cause problems.
>
>I am neither with Octopus nor Bulb and neither do I have a smart meter
>nor the possibility of being paid for using electricity at particular
>times but neither do I hand over unexpectedly large amounts of money
>monthly for the energy fat cats to become even fatter. I pay monthly
>only for the energy I use and if I don't submit a reading they make an
>estimate.
>
>I'm on the standard variable rate tariff which at the moment is locked
>by the price cap. Unless you gain a particular advantage from selling
>back your energy or being paid to use energy at particular times or
>unless you are somehow locked into a spectacularly cheap historic deal
>or would pay an eye-watering penalty to get out of your present
>arrangement then I'd strongly recommend doing the same and only pay
>for what you use.

Apologies for not reading through the thread first: my sort of advice
really isn't of much use when your energy company doesn't know whether
it's coming or going. Hopefully Bulb and Octopus will sort themselves
out eventually.

Nick

Re: Anyone else on Octopus Energy?

<tom7og$k82m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13430&group=uk.media.radio.archers#13430

From: toodle.p...@virginmedia.com (Mike McMillan)
Newsgroups: uk.media.radio.archers
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2022 08:33:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:cpgN1FHcLky5KaHfKmzob/U4qHk=
 by: Mike McMillan - Fri, 30 Dec 2022 08:33 UTC

Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2022 00:47:59 +0000, Nick Odell <nickodell49@yahoo.ca>
> wrote:

>>> We're 'with' Octopus and do pay via DD.
>>>
>>> When the Energy Bills Support Scheme came in, they recommended to us a
>>> monthly payment of (rough figures 'cos ICBA to look them up) £240 minus
>>> the £67 Gov't payment - so £170ish net.
>>>
>>> Later, they emailed to say they would shortly be taking payment... of
>>> not the £170 I was expecting, but the whole £240.
>>> I replied, pointing out that this was NOT what they said they were going
>>> to do, and they did eventually correct it.
>>> However, by that time they had already taken the December payment at £240.
>>> There must be plenty of households where an unexpected loss of £67, at a
>>> particularly expensive time of the year, might cause problems.
>>
>> I am neither with Octopus nor Bulb and neither do I have a smart meter
>> nor the possibility of being paid for using electricity at particular
>> times but neither do I hand over unexpectedly large amounts of money
>> monthly for the energy fat cats to become even fatter. I pay monthly
>> only for the energy I use and if I don't submit a reading they make an
>> estimate.
>>
>> I'm on the standard variable rate tariff which at the moment is locked
>> by the price cap. Unless you gain a particular advantage from selling
>> back your energy or being paid to use energy at particular times or
>> unless you are somehow locked into a spectacularly cheap historic deal
>> or would pay an eye-watering penalty to get out of your present
>> arrangement then I'd strongly recommend doing the same and only pay
>> for what you use.
>>
> Apologies for not reading through the thread first: my sort of advice
> really isn't of much use when your energy company doesn't know whether
> it's coming or going. Hopefully Bulb and Octopus will sort themselves
> out eventually.
>
> Nick

I think that Octopus was ready to embrace Bulb customers but then, the
gummint stepped in, put a monkey wrench in the mechanism and caused further
complications and delays.

--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan