From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Subject: Avalon Airshow
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2023 17:39:05 +1100
 by: Daryl - Sat, 4 Mar 2023 06:39 UTC

What a gigantic cock up, more than 4hrs sitting in traffic only to have
to walk more than 2km once parked and then there were so many people it
was difficult to move around.
Only thing that saved it from a total disaster was the F22 display, that
thing is just totally nuts and almost worth sitting in traffic for hours
to see.
The Koreans put of a very good show too which we saw from the road still
an hour from getting to the car park.
Doubt that I would bother to go again.

--
Daryl

Re: Avalon Airshow

<bngNL.1707701$vBI8.834810@fx15.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1338&group=aus.aviation#1338

Subject: Re: Avalon Airshow
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2023 18:12:05 +1100
 by: lindsay - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 07:12 UTC

On 4/03/2023 5:39 pm, Daryl wrote:
> What a gigantic cock up, more than 4hrs sitting in traffic only to have
> to walk more than 2km once parked and then there were so many people it
> was difficult to move around.
> Only thing that saved it from a total disaster was the F22 display, that
> thing is just totally nuts and almost worth sitting in traffic for hours
> to see.
> The Koreans put of a very good show too which we saw from the road still
> an hour from getting to the car park.
> Doubt that I would bother to go again.

sounds like a real waste of $$$

interesting things I noticed on flightradar...

there was a plane that landed early last week with either no
transponder, or as it was known to flightradar as "blocked". didnt move
until this morning, and flown to Singapore and landed about 30 mins ago.

also a flight of three USAF planes "rch 75" took off from Avalon and
headed north towards either Guam or Japan, all 3 listed as aerial
refuelers, inc a KC10, a KC135 and a KC46. As far as I'm aware there was
no KC-135, and no KC 46, but there was a F-22 Raptor and a F-35
lightning from the USAF there :-)

Re: Avalon Airshow

<op.11d9v4lnbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1340&group=aus.aviation#1340

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2023 04:08:18 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 6 Mar 2023 17:08 UTC

On Mon, 06 Mar 2023 18:12:05 +1100, lindsay <nope@nunnya.business.com.au>
wrote:

> On 4/03/2023 5:39 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> What a gigantic cock up, more than 4hrs sitting in traffic only to have
>> to walk more than 2km once parked and then there were so many people it
>> was difficult to move around.
>> Only thing that saved it from a total disaster was the F22 display,
>> that thing is just totally nuts and almost worth sitting in traffic for
>> hours to see.

Wonder how much that cost the USA, with all the practice involved etc.

>> The Koreans put of a very good show too which we saw from the road
>> still an hour from getting to the car park.
>> Doubt that I would bother to go again.
>
> sounds like a real waste of $$$
>
> interesting things I noticed on flightradar...
>
> there was a plane that landed early last week with either no
> transponder, or as it was known to flightradar as "blocked". didnt move
> until this morning, and flown to Singapore and landed about 30 mins ago.
>
> also a flight of three USAF planes "rch 75" took off from Avalon and
> headed north towards either Guam or Japan, all 3 listed as aerial
> refuelers, inc a KC10, a KC135 and a KC46. As far as I'm aware there was
> no KC-135, and no KC 46, but there was a F-22 Raptor and a F-35
> lightning from the USAF there :-)

Re: Avalon Airshow

<k6nq1dFgsnrU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1342&group=aus.aviation#1342

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 14:40:29 +1100
 by: Daryl - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 03:40 UTC

On 7/3/2023 4:08 am, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Mar 2023 18:12:05 +1100, lindsay
> <nope@nunnya.business.com.au> wrote:
>
>> On 4/03/2023 5:39 pm, Daryl wrote:
>>> What a gigantic cock up, more than 4hrs sitting in traffic only to
>>> have to walk more than 2km once parked and then there were so many
>>> people it was difficult to move around.
>>> Only thing that saved it from a total disaster was the F22 display,
>>> that thing is just totally nuts and almost worth sitting in traffic
>>> for hours to see.
>
> Wonder how much that cost the USA, with all the practice involved etc.

Probably cost a mint but from my point of view it was worth every cent,
those things are absolutely insane, nothing comes close to what it can do.
The pilot was throwing it around as if it was a cheap RC plane, at one
point it looked to be just hanging in the air and fluttering slow down
like a leaf then he gave it some throttle and disappeared, it also looks
like it can almost hover vertically on the throttle.
72,000 pounds of thrust is a shit load of grunt, many other fighters
have half that.

--
Daryl

Re: Avalon Airshow

<k6nqd0FgsnrU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1343&group=aus.aviation#1343

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2023 14:46:40 +1100
 by: Daryl - Tue, 7 Mar 2023 03:46 UTC

On 6/3/2023 6:12 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 4/03/2023 5:39 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> What a gigantic cock up, more than 4hrs sitting in traffic only to
>> have to walk more than 2km once parked and then there were so many
>> people it was difficult to move around.
>> Only thing that saved it from a total disaster was the F22 display,
>> that thing is just totally nuts and almost worth sitting in traffic
>> for hours to see.
>> The Koreans put of a very good show too which we saw from the road
>> still an hour from getting to the car park.
>> Doubt that I would bother to go again.
>
> sounds like a real waste of $$$
>
> interesting things I noticed on flightradar...
>
> there was a plane that landed early last week with either no
> transponder, or as it was known to flightradar as "blocked". didnt move
> until this morning, and flown to Singapore and landed about 30 mins ago.
>
> also a flight of three USAF planes "rch 75" took off from Avalon and
> headed north towards either Guam or Japan, all 3 listed as aerial
> refuelers, inc a KC10, a KC135 and a KC46. As far as I'm aware there was
> no KC-135, and no KC 46, but there was a F-22 Raptor and a F-35
> lightning from the USAF there :-)

Don't know what model aircraft they were but there was certainly some in
air refuelers there, they even did a display whilst I was there.
Whilst stuck in traffic we got a look at the B52 fly by, what a beast of
a machine, its freaking enormous.
I also can't praise the Koreans enough, absolutely brilliant display
from their Black Angels, also seen when stuck in traffic but we still
got a decent view.
Apparently if you aren't fussed about getting too close a good vantage
point is the top of the You Yangs, someone I know went there on Sunday
and they managed to see a lot whilst avoiding the traffic and crowds
plus its free.

--
Daryl

Re: Avalon Airshow

<d5RNL.182050$b7Kc.76888@fx39.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1350&group=aus.aviation#1350

Newsgroups: aus.aviation
From: nop...@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 11:58:46 +1100
 by: lindsay - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 00:58 UTC

On 7/03/2023 2:46 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 6/3/2023 6:12 pm, lindsay wrote:
>> On 4/03/2023 5:39 pm, Daryl wrote:
>>> What a gigantic cock up, more than 4hrs sitting in traffic only to
>>> have to walk more than 2km once parked and then there were so many
>>> people it was difficult to move around.
>>> Only thing that saved it from a total disaster was the F22 display,
>>> that thing is just totally nuts and almost worth sitting in traffic
>>> for hours to see.
>>> The Koreans put of a very good show too which we saw from the road
>>> still an hour from getting to the car park.
>>> Doubt that I would bother to go again.
>>
>> sounds like a real waste of $$$
>>
>> interesting things I noticed on flightradar...
>>
>> there was a plane that landed early last week with either no
>> transponder, or as it was known to flightradar as "blocked". didnt
>> move until this morning, and flown to Singapore and landed about 30
>> mins ago.
>>
>> also a flight of three USAF planes "rch 75" took off from Avalon and
>> headed north towards either Guam or Japan, all 3 listed as aerial
>> refuelers, inc a KC10, a KC135 and a KC46. As far as I'm aware there
>> was no KC-135, and no KC 46, but there was a F-22 Raptor and a F-35
>> lightning from the USAF there :-)
>>

> Don't know what model aircraft they were but there was certainly some in
> air refuelers there, they even did a display whilst I was there.

Hmm as I've since found out. AFAIK, the only one listed was the KC-10.
When they took off, two raced ahead of the tanker and were flying around
like puppied chasing their mom around. I just 2 and 2 together.

> Whilst stuck in traffic we got a look at the B52 fly by, what a beast of
> a machine, its freaking enormous.

Yep.. flew very close to Noddy's house ...

> I also can't praise the Koreans enough, absolutely brilliant display
> from their Black Angels, also seen when stuck in traffic but we still
> got a decent view.

And quite a long show too!

> Apparently if you aren't fussed about getting too close a good vantage
> point is the top of the You Yangs, someone I know went there on Sunday
> and they managed to see a lot whilst avoiding the traffic and crowds
> plus its free.

Re: Avalon Airshow

<k6qk5sFu1eqU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1351&group=aus.aviation#1351

From: dwalf...@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.aviation
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 16:18:51 +1100
 by: Daryl - Wed, 8 Mar 2023 05:18 UTC

On 8/3/2023 11:58 am, lindsay wrote:
> On 7/03/2023 2:46 pm, Daryl wrote:
>>>
>>> sounds like a real waste of $$$
>>>
>>> interesting things I noticed on flightradar...
>>>
>>> there was a plane that landed early last week with either no
>>> transponder, or as it was known to flightradar as "blocked". didnt
>>> move until this morning, and flown to Singapore and landed about 30
>>> mins ago.
>>>
>>> also a flight of three USAF planes "rch 75" took off from Avalon and
>>> headed north towards either Guam or Japan, all 3 listed as aerial
>>> refuelers, inc a KC10, a KC135 and a KC46. As far as I'm aware there
>>> was no KC-135, and no KC 46, but there was a F-22 Raptor and a F-35
>>> lightning from the USAF there :-)
>>>

>> Don't know what model aircraft they were but there was certainly some
>> in air refuelers there, they even did a display whilst I was there.
>
> Hmm as I've since found out. AFAIK, the only one listed was the KC-10.
> When they took off, two raced ahead of the tanker and were flying around
> like puppied chasing their mom around. I just 2 and 2 together.
>
>> Whilst stuck in traffic we got a look at the B52 fly by, what a beast
>> of a machine, its freaking enormous.
>
> Yep.. flew very close to Noddy's house ...

I live in Maddingley so over the top of my house except I was trying to
get into the Airshow at the time:-)
Actually had Chinook fly low over top today, pretty sure it was one of
the Coulson Helitankers.

>> I also can't praise the Koreans enough, absolutely brilliant display
>> from their Black Angels, also seen when stuck in traffic but we still
>> got a decent view.
>
> And quite a long show too!

Didn't time it but I think it went on for about 30mins.
The kids (Grandsons 11 & 8 plus 11yr olds school mate) loved it, kept
them entertained whist sitting in the traffic.

--
Daryl