Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Respawn Play Want Bin (PWBE 11 Apr 2023)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 08:50:49 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 08:50 UTC

Yeah, I make this same stupid Easter joke every year.

Play:
--=--

Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin (PS3) - Why yes, I did buy the JPN-region PS3 disc,
why are you asking? Now that I know and remember the broad strokes of
the story it's really interesting to come back and see the Yakuza 4
engine being used to render medieval Japan in all its harshly-lit glory.
I'm not 100 percent sure I'm willing to play through again just to see
the older character models though, which is what I bought the silly
thing for. I really wish that the newer remake had the option to toggle
those characters back and forth, but I understand why that wasn't a
realistic thing to ask for.

The older game has some significant features that aren't really well
realised in the newer title. When you finish a fight in the recent Ishin
release, the screen goes all black-and-white and freezes the frame in a
pleasantly cinematic way. The old game does this too, but slower to
cover up loading time as it puts the open world back into memory, but as
it does so it's actually painting the scene in a monochrome brushstroke
Ukiyo-e art style, which is always vivid and never gets old given all
the possible camera angles. I sort of wish they'd done more to preserve
that feature.

Gauntlet Legends (PSX) - This is... okay. It's surely not a patch on the
Dreamcast version, which to this day is honestly definitive in terms of
home ports. Playing this old game on a PS3 shows off just how clunky and
zoomed-in and less-than-ideal the Playstation port was. It's hard to
look back and believe that we ever found this game entertaining, no
matter how many players were involved.

Elevator Action (GB) and Dexter's Laboratory Robot Rampage (GBC) -
Listed together because they are functionally the same game. The Dexter
game is an elaborate reskin of the Taito classic arcade game, but is
somehow just as charming and loses nothing in the licenced conversion.
This is me putting the Analogue Pocket through its paces and making use
of this giant collection of cartridges I've amassed over the years.

Want:
--=--

Dinosaur King (DS) - I've kicked myself for not picking up a $5 copy of
this from the last days of Toys R Us ever since I figured out that this
was the western iteration of Mushiking, which was an arcade stalwart
title in Japan for decades and only seemed to get one half-hearted GBA
port that was never localised for us. I'm starting to get the sense that
a lot of retro game sellers are itching to bin all their DS games
because the boxes take up space and it's hard to tell the gems from the
shovelware, so I might as well get it now even though it's priced the
same as it was at first launch retail.

Bin:
-==-

Nothing game-related.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $632

Gauntlet Legends (PSX) - $45
Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin (PS3) - $70
Zan Yasha Enbukyoku (MD) - $27
Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan (PS3) - $42
Neo Geo Pocket Selection Vol 2 (NSW) - $37
Lyrica and Lyrica 2 Stars Align Special Edition (NSW) - $84
50 Classic Games (DS) - $5
50 More Classic Games (DS) - $5
Mario Kart 7 (3DS) - $20
Dinosaur King (DS) - $35

Total to date - $1,002

-KKC, who is soooooper tired after a weekend full of home repair.

Re: Respawn Play Want Bin (PWBE 11 Apr 2023)

<7UbZL.2481978$gs1.1443356@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1354&group=uk.games.video.misc#1354

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: Respawn Play Want Bin (PWBE 11 Apr 2023)
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 11:54:43 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Tue, 11 Apr 2023 11:54 UTC

> Play:

Micropolis (Linux) - via Debian's package. This is essentially an
open-source release of the old Unix port of classic Sim City, which I
either didn't know had happened or had managed to forget about. It
works well enough (in X), but at this point it could probably do with
some options for scaling the graphics and text, as even at 1080p it
all ends up being uncomfortably small - well, for me at least. Neat
that it's a thing though.

> Want:

Probably to play the speccy and/or DOS version of Sim City again.
Predictably enough, Micropolis immediately reminded me of those,
despite the UI differences (especially vs. the speccy one).

> Bin:

Nothing.

-Rus.

Re: Respawn Play Want Bin (PWBE 11 Apr 2023)

<k9niv0FdggoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1355&group=uk.games.video.misc#1355

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 12 Apr 2023 11:28:32 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 12 Apr 2023 11:28 UTC

On 11 Apr 2023 at 09:50:49 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
<kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> Yeah, I make this same stupid Easter joke every year.
>
> Play:
> --=--

Citizen Sleeper (Steam/Mac) - a cyberpunky VN reminiscent of a hugely
expanded Subsurface Circular. You're a Sleeper, an android with an
emulated human consciousness created as a bypass for "No strong AI"
laws, and you've escaped your indenture and arrived on a delapidated
space station. Shenanigans ensue, while you earn enough to pay for your
bootleg anti-ensured-obsolescence meds and help people out/run renegade
against the station faction bosses/counter other existential threats
both software and hardware. And grow mushrooms. Near the end of the main
story; I've had bad endings on two of the 30 or so substories I think.
Usefully the final part of the free DLC triplet just dropped, so I'll
pop over and do that before completing the main thing. Maybe 10 hours so
far.

> Want:
> --=--

To not get into the old habit of not finishing a game I'm late in - both
for Sleeper and also P3P, where I'm in month 11 currently.

> Bin:
> -==-

Many things not game related.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Tetris has taught me that accomplishments disappear and mistakes pile up.

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / Respawn Play Want Bin (PWBE 11 Apr 2023)