Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: New King Play Want Bin (PWBE 17 Apr 2023)
From: kendr...@nospam.io-nyc (Kendrick Kerwin Chua)
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 22:59:53 +0000
 by: Kendrick Kerwin Chua - Sun, 16 Apr 2023 22:59 UTC

So did Charles make it all the way across the board or something?

Play:
--=--

Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin (PS3) - So this is nice. But I may not return to it
now that I'm playing...

Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin (PS4) - Interesting. So many of the things I thought
were unique to the new remastered version actually have their origins in
this PS4 port, like the vocabulary explainer pause screen during long
cut scenes and the tweaked combat UI. The PS4 game is much more strict
about input UI in that it's enforcing the X-for-cancel/O-for-confirm
button configuration whereas all western-region titles do it the other
way around. I've played through both the PS3 and PS4 games to the same
point now, where Ryoma has newly arrived in Edo and is trying to sell
his false identity as he investigates the murder he was falsely blamed
for.

Dinosaur King (DS) - So I played far enough to see that this is
essentially Mushiking but with dinosaurs, and that's both good and bad.
Tying a big complicated RPG story to what's essentially a card trading
combat game may not have been the best way to make this go. I'm now
inspired to see how much Mushiking got fan translation work.

Konami Classics Arcade Hits (DS) - In a fit of irresponsible spending I
got this DS cart for way too much money, because I was dissatisfied with
the version of Yie Ar Kung Fu that you get on the Konami Gameboy Advance
cart. I also had occasion to play the arcade version of Contra for the
first time, which feels weird because it seems like I should have
experienced this once before and I really haven't outside of the Gryzor
port that the Commodore 64 got.

Want:
--=--

Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan (PS3) - I'd better have this in hand 13 hours from
now. See below for why.

Bin:
-==-

The US Postal Service (RL) - So on Saturday I witnessed a carrier walk
up to my door, slap a 'sorry we missed you note' on my door, and then
drive off before I could come out to greet him. Even with the recent
political scandals I always thought that the postal service was the one
institution that I could count on, even in a place with low literacy and
low competence like Florida. I do not like how it feels to doubt and
dismiss them.

Expenditure:
-----=-----

Balance forward - $1,002

Spider Man and X-men Arcade's Revenge (MD) - $13
Konami Classics Arcade Hits (DS) - $34
Ener-G Horse Riders (DS) - $3
Ener-G Dance Squad (DS) - $2
Ener-G Gym Rockets (DS) - $2
Imagine Ballet Star (DS) - $3
Imagine Ice Champions (DS) - $10
Imagine Master Chef (DS) - $4
Imagine Makeup Artist (DS) - $5

Total to date - $1,078

-KKC, who should take another day off just to get caught up on games.

Re: New King Play Want Bin (PWBE 17 Apr 2023)

<aMt%L.257866$l5R6.196797@usenetxs.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1357&group=uk.games.video.misc#1357

From: zgedn...@spam^H^H^H^Hgmail.com (Russell Marks)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Subject: Re: New King Play Want Bin (PWBE 17 Apr 2023)
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2023 09:53:10 GMT
 by: Russell Marks - Tue, 18 Apr 2023 09:53 UTC

> Play:

Nethack (Linux) - this was a strange one. I briefly played this on the
Linux console in the old IBMgraphics mode, to set up a screenshot for
a little web page I was working on about ye olde Linux stuff. It
seemed apt to play as a Tourist given that I'd only be poking around
the first level, and more so when I noticed it was calling me "Rus the
Rambler". :-) I suppose it would be annoying to mention the web page
without linking it, so:

https://zgedneil.nfshost.com/onebit.html

> Want:

Maybe to play a game on nethack.alt.org again, I see they have 3.6.7
up now. Though my verdict on the previous 3.6.6 was "slightly less of
a slog" (than 3.6.0), which isn't especially encouraging.

> Bin:

Nothing.

-Rus.

Re: New King Play Want Bin (PWBE 17 Apr 2023)

<kaafooFbh6uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1358&group=uk.games.video.misc#1358

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.games.video.misc
Date: 19 Apr 2023 15:30:32 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 15:30 UTC

On 16 Apr 2023 at 23:59:53 BST, "Kendrick Kerwin Chua"
<kendrick@nospam.io-nyc> wrote:

> So did Charles make it all the way across the board or something?

Fairly sure he'd have to be a girl for that to work. Which is of course
fine these days.

> Play:
> --=--

Citizen Sleeper (Mac/Steam) - finished, and with the DLC too that
extends the story by about 30%. It's a nicely put together cyperpunky
dystopia VN with some neat features (the dice mechanism and the decaying
mortal shell you inhabit giving you fewer dice to play in a day-cycle
over time unless you get the expensive restorative is awfully clever),
but importantly a competent SF story with decent characterisation as
well. Hurray! Enjoyed this and commend it to anyone who liked the Mike
Bithell 'circular' shorts a couple of years back. Or SF VNs in general.

> Want:
> --=--

To get myself back onto Persona3 before I forget how to play it. I'm on
month 11!

> Bin:
> -==-

I think my latest bunch of cardiac drugs are making me dizzy and
rubbish. Back to the GP...

Cheers - Jaimie

--
The weirder you're going to behave, the more normal you should look.
It works in reverse, too. When I see a kid with three or four

aus+uk / uk.games.video.misc / New King Play Want Bin (PWBE 17 Apr 2023)