"It's a dog-eat-dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milkbone underware." -- Norm, from _Cheers_

aus+uk / uk.rec.gardening / Oh, my pot marigolds!

SubjectAuthor
* Oh, my pot marigolds!Chris Bacon
+* Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!Stewart Robert Hinsley
|`* Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!Chris Bacon
| `* Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!Nick Maclaren
|  `* Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!Chris Bacon
|   `- Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!Nick Maclaren
`* Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!Martin Brown
 `* Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!Chris Bacon
  `- Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!Martin Brown

1
Oh, my pot marigolds!

<sh5dqq$npn$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1363&group=uk.rec.gardening#1363

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Oh, my pot marigolds!
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 16:58:17 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 15:58 UTC

From green and flowery to grey to wizened and no flowers. Is this
normal for the time of year? I'd hoped they'd go on for a bit. I have
been dead-heading them from time to time.

Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!

<sh5m65$ur8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1364&group=uk.rec.gardening#1364

From: {$new...@meden.demon.co.uk (Stewart Robert Hinsley)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Subject: Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 19:20:54 +0100
 by: Stewart Robert Hinsl - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 18:20 UTC

On 06/09/2021 16:58, Chris Bacon wrote:
> From green and flowery to grey to wizened and no flowers. Is this
> normal for the time of year? I'd hoped they'd go on for a bit. I have
> been dead-heading them from time to time.

Mildew?

--
SRH

Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!

<sh5mdk$16ic$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1365&group=uk.rec.gardening#1365

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 19:24:52 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 18:24 UTC

On 06/09/2021 19:20, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
> On 06/09/2021 16:58, Chris Bacon wrote:
>>  From green and flowery to grey to wizened and no flowers. Is this
>> normal for the time of year? I'd hoped they'd go on for a bit. I have
>> been dead-heading them from time to time.
>
> Mildew?

Could be, it looks a bit like that, although it's been dry... It's
probably too late to give them a squirt of something.

Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!

<sh5p57$kne$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1367&group=uk.rec.gardening#1367

From: nmm...@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 19:11:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 19:11 UTC

In article <sh5mdk$16ic$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Chris Bacon <chris.p.bacon@maildrop.cc> wrote:
>On 06/09/2021 19:20, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
>> On 06/09/2021 16:58, Chris Bacon wrote:
>>>  From green and flowery to grey to wizened and no flowers. Is this
>>> normal for the time of year? I'd hoped they'd go on for a bit. I have
>>> been dead-heading them from time to time.
>>
>> Mildew?
>
>Could be, it looks a bit like that, although it's been dry... It's
>probably too late to give them a squirt of something.

Mildew is a problem in hot and dry conditions - don't ask me why.
And there's precious little you can do about it, though Bordeaux
mixture might work if you catch it in time. My peas and courgettes
have it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!

<sh5uf3$v3h$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1368&group=uk.rec.gardening#1368

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 21:42:10 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 20:42 UTC

On 06/09/2021 20:11, Nick Maclaren wrote:
> In article <sh5mdk$16ic$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
> Chris Bacon <chris.p.bacon@maildrop.cc> wrote:
>>>
>>> Mildew?
>>
>> Could be, it looks a bit like that, although it's been dry... It's
>> probably too late to give them a squirt of something.
>
> Mildew is a problem in hot and dry conditions - don't ask me why.
> And there's precious little you can do about it, though Bordeaux
> mixture might work if you catch it in time. My peas and courgettes
> have it.

I suspect it's too late for my poor marigolds. I am very sorry to hear
about your peas, and your courgette, too.

I console myself with the fact that my sunflower, above my marigolds,
rise magnificently (although dead-heading is difficult, I could perhaps
use a rifle), and my pinky China Asters have opened for me, with only
the slightest stimulation. Lovely!

Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!

<sh5ust$13ig$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1369&group=uk.rec.gardening#1369

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 21:49:32 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 20:49 UTC

On 06/09/2021 16:58, Chris Bacon wrote:
> From green and flowery to grey to wizened and no flowers. Is this
> normal for the time of year? I'd hoped they'd go on for a bit. I have
> been dead-heading them from time to time.

They are pretty robust what have you been doing to them?
(able to take on some common rough ground weeds and win)

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!

<sh629n$kb1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1370&group=uk.rec.gardening#1370

From: nmm...@wheeler.UUCP (Nick Maclaren)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2021 21:47:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Nick Maclaren - Mon, 6 Sep 2021 21:47 UTC

In article <sh5uf3$v3h$1@gioia.aioe.org>,
Chris Bacon <chris.p.bacon@maildrop.cc> wrote:

>> Mildew is a problem in hot and dry conditions - don't ask me why.
>> And there's precious little you can do about it, though Bordeaux
>> mixture might work if you catch it in time. My peas and courgettes
>> have it.
>
>I suspect it's too late for my poor marigolds. I am very sorry to hear
>about your peas, and your courgette, too.

I got a crop, so don't justify sympathy. Mildew is common here in
summer. I am sorry that you have lost your marigolds.

>I console myself with the fact that my sunflower, above my marigolds,
>rise magnificently (although dead-heading is difficult, I could perhaps
>use a rifle), and my pinky China Asters have opened for me, with only
>the slightest stimulation. Lovely!

Yes. Win some, lose some. My brassicas are like nets, but my leaf
beet has produced more than we can eat.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!

<shb2jr$1q4r$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1378&group=uk.rec.gardening#1378

From: chris.p....@maildrop.cc (Chris Bacon)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 20:23:38 +0100
 by: Chris Bacon - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 19:23 UTC

On 06/09/2021 21:49, Martin Brown wrote:
> On 06/09/2021 16:58, Chris Bacon wrote:
>>  From green and flowery to grey to wizened and no flowers. Is this
>> normal for the time of year? I'd hoped they'd go on for a bit. I have
>> been dead-heading them from time to time.
>
> They are pretty robust what have you been doing to them?
> (able to take on some common rough ground weeds and win)

https://i.ibb.co/d4snss9/IMG-20210908-182141-1.jpg

They're in front of some sunflowers, of which the height is maximum
about 4.5m at the back of the bed, going down to 1.5m at the front, and
there are a couple of petunias and China asters in with them, which are
OK. They face approximately west, but get considerable sun from about
noon on.

Re: Oh, my pot marigolds!

<shmvt4$7fj$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1407&group=uk.rec.gardening#1407

From: '''newsp...@nonad.co.uk (Martin Brown)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 08:50:59 +0100
 by: Martin Brown - Mon, 13 Sep 2021 07:50 UTC

On 08/09/2021 20:23, Chris Bacon wrote:
> On 06/09/2021 21:49, Martin Brown wrote:
>> On 06/09/2021 16:58, Chris Bacon wrote:
>>>  From green and flowery to grey to wizened and no flowers. Is this
>>> normal for the time of year? I'd hoped they'd go on for a bit. I have
>>> been dead-heading them from time to time.
>>
>> They are pretty robust what have you been doing to them?
>> (able to take on some common rough ground weeds and win)
>
> https://i.ibb.co/d4snss9/IMG-20210908-182141-1.jpg
>
> They're in front of some sunflowers, of which the height is maximum
> about 4.5m at the back of the bed, going down to 1.5m at the front, and
> there are a couple of petunias and China asters in with them, which are
> OK. They face approximately west, but get considerable sun from about
> noon on.

They certainly don't look at all well.

The only ones I have ever lost (and this year) were submerged under
water for about a week whilst still small. I have never seen them with
mildew or whatever it is before and they grow OK in really dry soil. I
just throw some seed where I want them to come up and rake it in.

Normally they are very robust and will often regrow as volunteers from
last years copious supply of end of season seeds. Not as prolific as
foxglove, evening primrose or aqualegia but no shortage of them either.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown