From: ngspamme...@yahoo.com (TWP)
Subject: Japan earthquake / tsunami warning
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2024 11:51:19 GMT
 by: TWP - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 11:51 UTC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-asia-67856144

Japan has issued a major tsunami warning after a 7.6 magnitude
earthquake struck the central region

Residents in the coastal Noto area in Ishikawa prefecture were asked
to "evacuate immediately to higher ground," national broadcaster NHK said

A succession of more than 20 earthquakes struck central Japan earlier
on Monday, with more expected to follow

The tsunami waves, some more than a metre high, have reached the coast
in Ishikawa prefecture - but authorities have warned of waves as high as
5m (16ft)

It's the first time a major tsunami warning has been issued since the
2011 earthquake in Japan

Authorities have also issued tsunami warnings for neighbouring Niigata
and Toyama prefectures, warning that waves there could reach 3m

No irregularities have been reported from nuclear power plants along
the Sea of Japan, the country's Nuclear Regulation Authority has said

------------

Sky News just said that the tsunami warning has just been downgraded from
'major tsunami warning' to 'tsunami warning'. The best idea is probably
still to head for the hills but maybe not the tallest ones.

Re: Japan earthquake / tsunami warning

<20240101191235.00000c8c@ntlworld.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=13645&group=uk.current-events.terrorism#13645

From: the.happ...@ntlworld.invalid (The Happy Hippy)
Newsgroups: uk.current-events.terrorism
Subject: Re: Japan earthquake / tsunami warning
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 19:12:35 +0000
 by: The Happy Hippy - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 19:12 UTC

On Mon, 01 Jan 2024 11:51:19 GMT
TWP <ngspammersad@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sky News just said that the tsunami warning has just been downgraded
> from 'major tsunami warning' to 'tsunami warning'. The best idea is
> probably still to head for the hills but maybe not the tallest ones.

Indeed. Better to be out of breath on top of a mountain out of an abundance of caution rather than out of breath at the bottom of the sea.

The challenge I guess is in knowing how high to go; high enough to be safe, but not so high you can't easily get down to receive the help you might need to survive after that.

La Palma collapsing seems to be the greatest Tsunami threat the UK faces. I doubt anyone has any idea where to run to if it does.