You are in the hall of the mountain king.

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

SubjectAuthor
* Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?jkn
+- Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?Theo
+* Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?Jaimie Vandenbergh
|`* Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?jkn
| `* Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?GB
|  `* Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?jkn
|   +* Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?GB
|   |`- Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?jkn
|   `* Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?Paul G
|    +* Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?jkn
|    |`- Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?Jaimie Vandenbergh
|    `- Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?jkn
`* Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?Philip Herlihy
 `* Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?Andy Burns
  +* Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?Chris Ridd
  |`* Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?SH
  | `- Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?Theo
  `- Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?jkn

1
Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<a046cbe2-8ee3-4acd-aaf1-fd8c57e9e1e5n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1366&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1366

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 13:47:30 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 20:47 UTC

Hi All
as a work-from-homer these days I am sitting down during the day
rather more that I would like. I have a posture chair that has served me well for many years, and do all the 'right' things, but I am thinking that a sit-stand area
would be a good thing to have.

For the space I have, a fairly small motorised area would probably be best.
As a d-i-yer I am not keen to pay stupid prices for custom designs when I
could build something myself; but as I am time-poor I don't really want to do
something totally from scratch.

Are there any UK-based people who sell a sort of 'design + kit of parts' for
this kind of thing? I've seen plenty of designs and people selling stuff, but
mostly Amurican. A well-proven actuator and control design, to assemble
with wiring, switches and platforms of your own choosing, is the sort
of thing I am looking for,

Thanks for any suggestions
Jon N

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<Reh*DEeuy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1368&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1368

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 14 Sep 2021 23:13:11 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 22:13 UTC

jkn <jkn_gg@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
> Are there any UK-based people who sell a sort of 'design + kit of parts' for
> this kind of thing? I've seen plenty of designs and people selling stuff, but
> mostly Amurican. A well-proven actuator and control design, to assemble
> with wiring, switches and platforms of your own choosing, is the sort
> of thing I am looking for,

One evening a colleague and I discovered that our adjustable work desks take
an allen key head at each end to turn a gear to adjust the height. A pair
of battery drills later...

Theo

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<iqd36pFe21qU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1369&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1369

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 15 Sep 2021 02:13:45 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 02:13 UTC

On 14 Sep 2021 at 21:47:30 BST, "jkn" <jkn_gg@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi All
> as a work-from-homer these days I am sitting down during the day
> rather more that I would like. I have a posture chair that has served me well for many years, and do all the 'right' things, but I am thinking that a sit-stand area
> would be a good thing to have.
>
> For the space I have, a fairly small motorised area would probably be best.
> As a d-i-yer I am not keen to pay stupid prices for custom designs when I
> could build something myself; but as I am time-poor I don't really want to do
> something totally from scratch.
>
> Are there any UK-based people who sell a sort of 'design + kit of parts' for
> this kind of thing? I've seen plenty of designs and people selling stuff, but
> mostly Amurican. A well-proven actuator and control design, to assemble
> with wiring, switches and platforms of your own choosing, is the sort
> of thing I am looking for,

Depends what you class as stupid prices, I guess. I went with
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/cat/bekant-desk-underframes-18965/?filters=f-feature%3A53486
- one of the £3xx electrical ones plus a top. Haven't regretted it at
all.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++
makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<c6b05b44-0842-4b38-ba05-5a6cc83c460an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1370&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1370

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 00:28:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 07:28 UTC

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 3:13:48 AM UTC+1, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
> On 14 Sep 2021 at 21:47:30 BST, "jkn" <jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi All
> > as a work-from-homer these days I am sitting down during the day
> > rather more that I would like. I have a posture chair that has served me well for many years, and do all the 'right' things, but I am thinking that a sit-stand area
> > would be a good thing to have.
> >
> > For the space I have, a fairly small motorised area would probably be best.
> > As a d-i-yer I am not keen to pay stupid prices for custom designs when I
> > could build something myself; but as I am time-poor I don't really want to do
> > something totally from scratch.
> >
> > Are there any UK-based people who sell a sort of 'design + kit of parts' for
> > this kind of thing? I've seen plenty of designs and people selling stuff, but
> > mostly Amurican. A well-proven actuator and control design, to assemble
> > with wiring, switches and platforms of your own choosing, is the sort
> > of thing I am looking for,
> >
> Depends what you class as stupid prices, I guess. I went with
> https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/cat/bekant-desk-underframes-18965/?filters=f-feature%3A53486
> - one of the £3xx electrical ones plus a top. Haven't regretted it at
> all.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Hi Jamie
it's more a 'platform' I am looking for than a whole desk; sorry if my original posting
didn't make that clear.

Cheers, J^n

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<shsgv8$mia$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1371&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1371

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.com (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 11:12:56 +0100
 by: GB - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 10:12 UTC

> Hi Jamie
> it's more a 'platform' I am looking for than a whole desk; sorry if my original posting
> didn't make that clear.
>
> Cheers, J^n

If you want to keep this cheap, really cheap, you could make yourself a
platform to place on the desk. Just big enough to take the keyboard and
monitor.

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<MPG.3babf04ecfe0fcd098996a@news.eternal-september.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1372&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1372

From: thiswill...@you.com (Philip Herlihy)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 12:58:48 +0100
 by: Philip Herlihy - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 11:58 UTC

In article <a046cbe2-8ee3-4acd-aaf1-fd8c57e9e1e5n@googlegroups.com>,
jkn_gg@nicorp.f9.co.uk says...

> Hi All
> as a work-from-homer these days I am sitting down during the day
> rather more that I would like. I have a posture chair that has served me well for many years, and do all the 'right' things, but I am thinking that a sit-stand area
> would be a good thing to have.
>
> For the space I have, a fairly small motorised area would probably be best.
> As a d-i-yer I am not keen to pay stupid prices for custom designs when I
> could build something myself; but as I am time-poor I don't really want to do
> something totally from scratch.
>
> Are there any UK-based people who sell a sort of 'design + kit of parts' for
> this kind of thing? I've seen plenty of designs and people selling stuff, but
> mostly Amurican. A well-proven actuator and control design, to assemble
> with wiring, switches and platforms of your own choosing, is the sort
> of thing I am looking for,
>
> Thanks for any suggestions
> Jon N

Not exactly what you've asked for, but these might be worth a look (if you can
fit one in).
https://mysmartdesk.co.uk/collections/desks

--

Phil, London

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<b83f28ab-e2ff-4f04-8249-bbc225377737n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1373&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1373

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 05:44:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 12:44 UTC

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 11:12:57 AM UTC+1, GB wrote:
> > Hi Jamie
> > it's more a 'platform' I am looking for than a whole desk; sorry if my original posting
> > didn't make that clear.
> >
> > Cheers, J^n
> >
> If you want to keep this cheap, really cheap, you could make yourself a
> platform to place on the desk. Just big enough to take the keyboard and
> monitor.

Well, yes, but I want to be able to adjust the height. Or am I misunderstanding you?

(I've re-done my 'research' and remembered things like the Varidesk products,
which are spring-loaded rather than motorised. I am wondering if a S/Hand one of those
might work, at least to prove/disprove the utility of such an item)

J^n

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<shsrgm$ubl$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1374&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1374

From: NOTsome...@microsoft.com (GB)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 14:12:55 +0100
 by: GB - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 13:12 UTC

On 15/09/2021 13:44, jkn wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 11:12:57 AM UTC+1, GB wrote:
>>> Hi Jamie
>>> it's more a 'platform' I am looking for than a whole desk; sorry if my original posting
>>> didn't make that clear.
>>>
>>> Cheers, J^n
>>>
>> If you want to keep this cheap, really cheap, you could make yourself a
>> platform to place on the desk. Just big enough to take the keyboard and
>> monitor.
>
> Well, yes, but I want to be able to adjust the height. Or am I misunderstanding you?

You make the platform to suit your height when standing, then remove it
when seated.

I don't see why you would need to adjust it all the time? At least, I
made one for my treadmill walking desk, and it's not needed to be adjusted.

You can include adjustable feet from a kitchen unit for fine tuning, eg
36145 at Screwfix.

> (I've re-done my 'research' and remembered things like the Varidesk products,
> which are spring-loaded rather than motorised. I am wondering if a S/Hand one of those
> might work, at least to prove/disprove the utility of such an item)
>
> J^n

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<iqebgoFlfblU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1375&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1375

From: nos...@msn.com (Paul G)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 14:41:43 +0100
 by: Paul G - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 13:41 UTC

My employer provided a Varidesk desktop converter which simply sits atop
an existing desk. It works but the mechanism is a bit clunky and has a
large footprint. Its scissor mechanism means the front moves towards you
as you raise the the height.

HTH Paul

On 15/09/2021 13:44, jkn wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 11:12:57 AM UTC+1, GB wrote:
>>> Hi Jamie
>>> it's more a 'platform' I am looking for than a whole desk; sorry if my original posting
>>> didn't make that clear.
>>>
>>> Cheers, J^n
>>>
>> If you want to keep this cheap, really cheap, you could make yourself a
>> platform to place on the desk. Just big enough to take the keyboard and
>> monitor.
>
> Well, yes, but I want to be able to adjust the height. Or am I misunderstanding you?
>
> (I've re-done my 'research' and remembered things like the Varidesk products,
> which are spring-loaded rather than motorised. I am wondering if a S/Hand one of those
> might work, at least to prove/disprove the utility of such an item)
>
> J^n

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<iqeea1Flud1U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1376&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1376

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 15:29:13 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 14:29 UTC

Philip Herlihy wrote:

> https://mysmartdesk.co.uk/collections/desks

A remarkable lack of cables ...

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<dcdfb62d-9674-4337-bac6-6ca3c9c1d829n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1377&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1377

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 08:32:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 15:32 UTC

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 2:41:45 PM UTC+1, Paul G wrote:
> My employer provided a Varidesk desktop converter which simply sits atop
> an existing desk. It works but the mechanism is a bit clunky and has a
> large footprint. Its scissor mechanism means the front moves towards you
> as you raise the the height.
>
> HTH Paul

Hi Paul
Yes, I'm looking at these. The scissor movement would probably be fine
but as you say the footprint is quite large (I'm looking at the Varidesk Pro Plus 30).

Thanks,
J^n

> >> If you want to keep this cheap, really cheap, you could make yourself a
> >> platform to place on the desk. Just big enough to take the keyboard and
> >> monitor.
> >
> > Well, yes, but I want to be able to adjust the height. Or am I misunderstanding you?
> >
> > (I've re-done my 'research' and remembered things like the Varidesk products,
> > which are spring-loaded rather than motorised. I am wondering if a S/Hand one of those
> > might work, at least to prove/disprove the utility of such an item)
> >
> > J^n

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<0ed1e8f9-7bf8-4553-a6fa-49c576ba3085n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1378&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1378

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 08:32:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 2:12:56 PM UTC+1, GB wrote:

> >> If you want to keep this cheap, really cheap, you could make yourself a
> >> platform to place on the desk. Just big enough to take the keyboard and
> >> monitor.
> >
> > Well, yes, but I want to be able to adjust the height. Or am I misunderstanding you?
> You make the platform to suit your height when standing, then remove it
> when seated.
>
> I don't see why you would need to adjust it all the time? At least, I
> made one for my treadmill walking desk, and it's not needed to be adjusted.
>
> You can include adjustable feet from a kitchen unit for fine tuning, eg
> 36145 at Screwfix.

Well, that's the point of the "sit-stand' idea; I would expect to move it up/down at least
a few times each day. Without grappling with monitor/cables/keyboard etc. Yes,
if a 'platform' is all I want, I would certainly go this way.

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<shv9e2$scd$3@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1379&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1379

From: chrisr...@mac.com (Chris Ridd)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 12:22:46 +0100
 by: Chris Ridd - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:22 UTC

On 15/09/2021 15:29, Andy Burns wrote:
> Philip Herlihy wrote:
>
>> https://mysmartdesk.co.uk/collections/desks
>
> A remarkable lack of cables ...

And curious that Apple and Google devices aren't supported somehow. Not
really clear what though.

--
Chris

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<shva0c$1kqg$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1380&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1380

From: i.love.s...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 12:32:27 +0100
 by: SH - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 11:32 UTC

On 16/09/2021 12:22, Chris Ridd wrote:
> On 15/09/2021 15:29, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Philip Herlihy wrote:
>>
>>> https://mysmartdesk.co.uk/collections/desks
>>
>> A remarkable lack of cables ...
>
> And curious that Apple and Google devices aren't supported somehow. Not
> really clear what though.

Unless I am seriously mistaken, isn't that an Apple Macbook Air/Pro on
the table in the picture?

Rather misleading advertising don't you think?

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<iqgqesF5d28U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1381&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1381

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 16 Sep 2021 12:09:00 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 12:09 UTC

On 15 Sep 2021 at 16:32:35 BST, "jkn" <jkn_gg@nicorp.f9.co.uk> wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 2:41:45 PM UTC+1, Paul G wrote:
>> My employer provided a Varidesk desktop converter which simply sits atop
>> an existing desk. It works but the mechanism is a bit clunky and has a
>> large footprint. Its scissor mechanism means the front moves towards you
>> as you raise the the height.
>>
>> HTH Paul
>
> Hi Paul
> Yes, I'm looking at these. The scissor movement would probably be fine
> but as you say the footprint is quite large (I'm looking at the Varidesk Pro Plus 30).

I too have used one of those with work - they are fine, as they bring
the keyboard/mouse/monitor/wristrest with them, you just end up standing
6" further back and all is the same.

I find a fully variable one a fair bit more useful (and a lot less
imposing) than the Varidesk though, allows for slumpage during the work
day!

Cheers - Jaimie

--
"For our younger readers - books are hardened bits
of the internet that have fallen off."

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<Qeh*d2muy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1382&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1382

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 16 Sep 2021 13:18:22 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 12:18 UTC

SH <i.love.spam@spam.com> wrote:
> On 16/09/2021 12:22, Chris Ridd wrote:
> > And curious that Apple and Google devices aren't supported somehow. Not
> > really clear what though.
> >

> Unless I am seriously mistaken, isn't that an Apple Macbook Air/Pro on
> the table in the picture?
>
> Rather misleading advertising don't you think?

Judging from the supported brands I think the USB-C is some kind of Qualcomm
QC charger, rather than USB-PD which is the protocol Apple and Google use.
You are free to place a Macbook Pro/etc on the desk, it just won't charge
from it.

It doesn't give any specs for the charger, but I'd expect it's 15W or less.
So wouldn't be that useful for charging a laptop anyway. You may be able to
charge an iPhone at a slow rate, or something with 5V charging like some
Chromebooks.

Theo

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<8bf97edc-52a3-451d-bd32-63cc1a2692b4n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1387&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1387

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 14:16:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 21:16 UTC

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 3:29:23 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
> Philip Herlihy wrote:
>
> > https://mysmartdesk.co.uk/collections/desks
>
> A remarkable lack of cables ...

That bears about as much relation to the the state of my work surface as ...

Re: Sit Stand desks/platforms; kit of parts or similar?

<7545954b-1d81-4cc6-b14d-d5015fc2c0aen@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=1388&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#1388

Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2021 10:53:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: jkn...@nicorp.f9.co.uk (jkn)
 by: jkn - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 17:53 UTC

On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 2:41:45 PM UTC+1, Paul G wrote:
> My employer provided a Varidesk desktop converter which simply sits atop
> an existing desk. It works but the mechanism is a bit clunky and has a
> large footprint. Its scissor mechanism means the front moves towards you
> as you raise the the height.

Well, I've won an eBay auction bid on one of there - there is clearly a bit of a
market in them, I wonder how many people are trying and giving up on
them?
Anyway, although not totally what I had in mind, at least it will allow to experiment
with the sit-sand concept, and see it is worth getting something fancier in time.

Cheers, J^n